Author's Chapter Notes:
Betaed by Flight Of Fancy.
Feeling shy and fighting a knot in his throat, Spike buried his face against Buffy’s shoulder. “If she wants me, there isn’t a bloody thing I want more.”

Buffy pulled slightly away, using a gentle hand under his chin to get Spike to look at her. “Don’t you know yet? There isn’t anything in this world I want more than to belong to you and be your mate.”

Spike closed his eyes and frowned. “Luv, I don’t think you understand just what you’re saying yes to.” His jaw clenched and he stretched his neck, rolling his head from side to side before looking at Buffy, taking a deep breath, and continuing. “A mating...it’s a forever thing, Luv. If we do this, there’s no saying when you’ll ever get back to Heaven again.

Buffy cupped his cheek and looked her vampire directly in the eye. “Spike, I know I’m not going to age, and that if one of us dies, the other will quickly follow. None of that matters to me. The only Heaven I need is being held in your arms.” Letting her hand fall down into her lap, Buffy dropped her gaze as a shy smile spread across her face.

“Slayer...Buffy...Luv...Do you really mean it? You’d want eternity with me?”

Buffy could hear how his voice shook with emotion, and the hope she saw in his eyes when she looked up again was almost overwhelming. “Oh Spike, I do...I would...I love you so much.” Spike started to lose control when he heard her answer, gold bleeding into his eyes again as he wrapped her tightly in his arms.

“Oh Slayer.” Eyes shining with emotion, Spike gently lifted her chin for a kiss full of promise. “I’d like nothing more than for us to be together, but your white-hats will have none of it.” He turned his head away as a lone tear escaped his eye. Quickly scattering the proof of his sorrow with the back of a hand, he took a deep breath and straightened his shoulders. “I know how important your merry band of do-gooders is to you, and how much you need their acceptance. Like family, they are, and I would never do anything to ruin that for you.”

Whistler, a forgotten bystander to the conversation, spoke up. “You won’t have to worry about that this time around.”

Not sure he could believe what he was hearing, Spike turned back to Buffy. “Is he right, Luv? I couldn’t stand it if there was bad blood between you and yours on account of me.”

“Spike, I’ve tried for years to do what everyone wanted, be who everyone needed, and not disappoint anyone. I thought that if I could just do it RIGHT...if I could be the perfect daughter, perfect sister, perfect friend, perfect Slayer...then it would all be worth it and everyone would be happy. The problem is, the harder I tried, the more miserable I got. I’m tired of putting everyone else’s needs first. I need you, and the Powers know it. If we do this, they’ll make sure that the Scoobies and the Council both understand they have no choice but to accept us as mates.”

“Are you sure, Buffy? Once we do this, there’s no going back. How do we even know for sure this will stop the First?”

Buffy gave him a tremulous smile. “I had a dream...a Slayer dream. I didn’t understand all the details, but I know that it will work. Maybe Whistler can explain it?”

Again the subject of scrutiny, the scruffy demon was quick to fill in what details he knew. “As I understand it, if you two mate, you basically take Buffy as your property. She stops being a free agent for the Powers, and instead answers to you...effectively making her neutral. Once she’s off the chessboard, the other side will have no choice but to send home their out of town heavy...and the First Evil and all its minions will fade off into the sunset. Of course, we’ll still have battles between good and evil, and most likely there’ll still be an apocalypse attempt every spring, but none of that will be Buffy’s responsibility anymore.”

The potential vampire groom frowned. “But, when Buffy and I mate, she becomes mine, and I become hers...two bites. If that’s enough to take her out of the running, then won’t evil be short again when I’m neutral as well? It’s not going to work if they can keep the First around to fill my space.”

Whistler appeared to be listening to something very intently for a moment, but then his frown cleared and he turned to Spike and Buffy once more. “Nope. It’s all good. For starters, the First is a really big hitter...it can’t be called to replace someone in this realm. If someone does step into your shoes, it will be someone already here. Second, apparently it’s only the first mating bite that counts...so as long as you bite Buffy before she gets her pearly whites into you, we’ll all be fine. When it’s your turn to get chomped on, it’s more like you’re just doing what vampires do...get it?”

Spike barked out something that passed for a laugh. “Well, isn’t that a Hell of an idea?”

“Not just an idea. It’s part of the original contract that was drawn up when the world was first made. Gotta love those loopholes, eh?” With that, Whistler smiled at the couple sitting in front of him, and then stood up. “Well, kids...I’m off.”

Then, before Buffy or Spike could respond, Whistler was gone, and the only proof that he’d ever been there was the slightly rank odour lingering in the room.

“Let’s get out of here.” With a firm grip on Buffy’s waist, Spike lifted her off his lap and set her on her feet.

“What? You want to leave? But where...?” Buffy was clearly confused, as Spike stood and took her hand, entwining their fingers once more.

“If I’m finally going to take you as my mate, it’s not going to happen in this dump,” he said, looking around the lower level of the crypt. Smiling, he led Buffy into the sewers.

“The crypt was always good enough for us before.”

“That was then, this is now. When you become my mate, it will be my responsibility to see that you’re taken care of. I intend to make sure you never want for anything ever again, and I’m going to start by making sure that you’ve got food to put in your luscious mouth, clothes to drape over your delectable body, and a roof over your lovely head.” As excited as a kid in a candy shop, Spike smiled back at her as he led her further into the sewers that ran under Sunnydale.

“Okay, okay,” the Slayer laughed. “Where are we going, anyway?”

“First stop will be the mall. I left the Desoto in the underground parking there. Once we’ve picked her up, we’re going to head to a nice hotel...one with room service and maybe even a Jacuzzi tub. How does that sound?”

“Yummy...a real bathroom...all to myself.” Thoughtfully, Buffy fit her bottom lip. “I should stop by the house to pack a bag and let Dawn know I’m leaving town for a while.”

Frowning, Spike stopped and turned to face Buffy. “I meant to ask about that, Luv. What were you doing in my dusty old crypt? Why weren’t you at the house with your sister and the Scoobies?”

Looking down at the water and sludge in the bottom of the sewer tunnel, Buffy hesitantly told Spike all that had happened since his departure from town. It wasn’t the ideal location for the conversation, but when Spike lost control of his temper, vamping out and kicking and punching several holes in the side of the tunnel, Buffy was kind of glad she hadn’t told him at the hotel. Who knew how much they’d end up being charged for damages there? At least here he was able to get it out of his system fairly quickly.

Sighing, Spike turned back to Buffy. He reached one hand out to gently stroke her cheek, happy to see that she didn’t appear unduly frightened by his behaviour. “I’ll take you to the manhole just outside your house, and keep watch until you’re safe on the porch. From there, I’ll go fetch the car and then swing round again to pick you up. When you’ve packed your bags and said your goodbyes, just come out to the car.” He began to search his pockets, sending her a triumphant look when he finally pulled out a small white business card. “Here you go. It’s the number for my cell phone. If you need me to get there quick, or if you want me to hang back...either way, just give me a call.” Sheepishly, he looked away again, insecurity making him fidget. Though he’d never admit it, he was terrified that once he dropped her off at home, she’d change her mind about being his.

The Slayer took the card from him, carefully smoothing it out and then tucking it in her pocket. Looking at Spike, she stepped closer to the startled vampire, until they were face to face and touching from their knees to their foreheads. Dropping feather-light kisses all over his face, she whispered how much she loved him, and how happy she was to be mating with him, until his shoulders finally relaxed and he started kissing her back. After the countless times Spike had been there for her when she needed him, it was the very least she could do to ease his worry and bolster his self-confidence when she had the chance.

The couple stayed together, each gaining strength from the other and enjoying a little spontaneous smooching time, until the stench of the sewers became too much to bear.

“Ugh...the smell down here is horrible!”

“Too right, Luv. If we’re not careful, it’ll curl our nose hairs. Come on...the faster we get you home and packing, the faster we’ll be ready to head for that hotel room.” Spike tossed her a naughty smirk that had the blood rushing to Buffy’s cheeks. He laughed, knowing she could never resist him when he looked at her that way.

Taking her hand, they continued through the tunnels until Spike led her to a ladder that went up to street level. Using the manhole cover for shade, he waited until she was running up her front walkway before covering the tunnel and heading for his car.

Meanwhile, back at 1630 Revello Drive...

By the time Angel had returned to the house, everyone but Faith was already there. He entered the front door with a smile on his face, and immediately told everyone how excited he was about his upcoming nuptials, and that they were all invited to his wedding.

His announcement was met with some resistance, as Riley immediately jumped to his feet in protest. “Wait a minute. Who says she’s marrying you? I’m her last love...the normal guy that can give her a normal life with a home, and kids. Hell...I can even get her a dog...if she wants one. What can you offer her? Unpredictable visits from a homicidal maniac?”

“You left her, Soldier Boy. Walked away without looking back...in fact, didn’t you go and marry someone else? Yeah, I’m thinking that you’re not even in the running,” Angel sneered back, mocking the corn-fed military man.

At that, Riley let out a snort. “You left her too...what makes you think she’d choose you?”

Giles shook his head and left the room, not wanting to be drawn into the conversation. The Potentials, on the other hand, watched the comments fly back and forth like tennis balls at Wimbledon, the girls collectively holding their breath between each salvo.

“I’m her first love...she’s never gotten over me. I was her first, and I’ll be her last. You can’t fight a love like ours...it’s eternal,” the brooding vampire explained.

“Yeah...about that...she did get over you. She moved on...with me,” Riley said smugly, as he straightened to his full height and puffed out his chest a bit.

“You...you...” Gold flecks were starting to appear in Angel’s chocolate brown eyes.

The Potentials weren’t the only ones listening in on the argument. Xander had taken a seat on the couch when the shouting started, and was enjoying himself immensely. Both of these guys left her...I’m the only one that’s ever stayed around. Maybe this time it’s my turn? I can give her kids and all that stuff...and it’s about time I got a bit of the action. I’m tired of watching her pant after other guys when I’m waiting right here. Xander’s mood brightened considerably, and he even smiled when he addressed the two feuding men. “Why bother fighting about it? You’ve both had your chance with her and you both blew it. If she’s going to get married, she’s going to pick someone who’s always been there for her...like me.”

Everyone turned to the front door, when it suddenly closed with a bang. Buffy walked into the room and then, without talking to anyone, continued up the stairs and into her bedroom.