Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone. Have another chapter up.

This story is now being beta'ed by the wonderful Sanityfair. Any mistakes you see are mine and not hers.
Chapter 23

Spike hurried to keep up with Buffy. She was running, clearly in a panic, and he hadn’t the slightest idea what the cause was.

“Buffy what is it? What happened?”

“Giles’ journal was stolen. All his notes were in there.”

“And what’s so important in the Watcher’s diary to get you so worked up? Where are we even going?”

“Home. We’re going home. I have to check on Dawn.”

“The Niblet? Buffy what…?”

“I don’t have time to explain right now Spike. I need to get to her, and, I have to know she’s all right. I just have to be there.”

“Okay, okay, just calm down I’m sure she’s fine.”
Buffy couldn’t calm down though. Someone had taken Giles’ journal, which meant someone knew the truth about Dawn. Her sister was in danger, and right now, Buffy’s priority was to protect her.

They eventually reached her house. Everything seemed quiet, but Buffy had to see for herself that everything was okay. She burst through the front door and started shouting for her sister. Joyce rushed out of the living room startled and nervous.

“Buffy, what is it, what’s wrong?”

“Dawn! Where is she?”

“She’s in her room, Buffy…”

“Dawn!”

Buffy headed for the stairs. Spike stood in the hall and looked at Joyce, shaking his head. He had no idea what was going on.

“What, what is it?” Dawn made her way downstairs as Buffy was about to race up them.

“Oh thank God. You’re okay.”

“Why wouldn’t I be? What’s going on?”
Buffy didn’t know how she could explain this to Dawn, but she was relieved just to see she was okay. Joyce didn’t look as comforted. She knew the truth about Dawn and for Buffy to have reacted like that something bad must have happened.

“Buffy, what happened?”
Buffy looked at the three faces staring back at her. Dawn was suspicious and confused. Her mother was frightened, and Spike was completely baffled. She turned to Dawn, but, she just couldn’t tell her the truth, that she didn’t exist. How could she?

“Dawn, go upstairs and stay in your room. Okay.”

“But what?”

“Please, Dawn.”

“No! Something’s going on here. Why were you so worried, and, what happened?”

“Giles called Anya at the Bronze to tell me about…a demon that was headed here. It attacked him and was coming after me…something Glory sent. I had to be sure you were all okay. Just go upstairs, okay? I have to…deal with this.”

“Dawn didn’t look as though she fully believed her sister, but after glancing at Joyce who nodded in agreement and casting one last suspicious glare at Buffy, she went back upstairs.”
Buffy turned back to her mother who was clearly waiting for answers.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you like that.”

“Is there really a demon coming here?”

“No…maybe…I don’t know. Giles did call but he wasn’t attacked. His journal was stolen. It has stuff in it…about…”
Joyce’s eyes widened in realization.

“The Key.”

Buffy’s shoulders slumped, as she shared her Mom’s concern.

“Yeah, the Key.”

“Hang on.”

Both women turned to Spike who raised a hand to get their attention.

“So Rupes has some information about the Key written in this diary o’ his? I thought we didn’ know anythin’ ‘bout the Key? And what’s all this got to do with Dawn?”
Buffy had meant to tell him earlier, but hadn’t had the chance. She didn’t like doing it now with Dawn upstairs, but he had to know. Come to think of it, now someone else had the information it was probably better that her friends knew too. There was no point protecting them if it wasn’t much of a secret anymore was there?

“Can we all sit down first?”

They all moved into the living room, and Joyce and Buffy sat down. Spike, however, preferred to stand and leaned against the wall waiting.

“Well?”

“When I first met Glory, the Monk she was torturing told me about the Key before he died. I only told Giles because at the time he was the only one I trusted enough with the information, and I was scared of what Glory would do to anyone she thought was keeping secrets from her. Mom found out by circumstance because of…her illness. The Key was sent to me about six months ago for protection. They had to guarantee I’d protect it with my life. They altered everyone’s memories, so no one would notice the difference. A lot of what we think we remember isn’t real, or at least…it’s different.”
Spike took this in, but still looked confused. If anything, what she said just raised more questions.

“So everyone was affected? Even me?”

“You and anyone else that’s been directly involved with the Summers family I guess.”

“So what…you have the Key and everyone thinks it’s somethin’ you’ve had all along? Somethin’ you’d protect?”
He paused, and his eyes hazed over in thought as he took it all in. Buffy had the feeling he was figuring things out.

He is annoyingly perceptive after all.

She decided to spell things out just in case.

“They knew the one thing a Slayer would protect was a human, so they made the Key human. But just to be extra positive I’d do anything in my power to keep it safe, they made it out of me, made a sister. Dawn is the Key.”
A hush fell over the room as Spike absorbed her words, and Joyce glanced at the stairs, thinking of her youngest daughter, who somehow wasn’t real, even though she felt as though she had to be. She was her little girl just like Buffy was.

“Bit’s not real? But she…”

“I know. Trust me…I know, but it’s true.”
Spike looked at the floor, and Buffy contemplated their situation. Someone out there knew, which meant Dawn wasn’t safe.

“So, I’m guessin’ whoever took the Watcher’s notebook knows too, an’ we should prepare for a fight soon.”

“If it’s Glory I don’t…I don’t know how to stop her.”

“We’ll figure it out. We still have that demon bloke to check up on. He might have somethin’ we can use.”

“I can’t leave, not now. What if she’s attacked?”

“I know, but we can’t sit here waitin’ for ‘em either. You need to let the others know. Get the witches to do some protective spells or somethin’ to up your defenses.”

“Yeah, I’ll call them. The sooner they know the better. Maybe, we can figure out who took it.”

“When they get here I’m goin’ to check this lead out an’ see what I can dig up.”
Buffy’s head snapped up at that.

“By yourself?”

“I’m a big boy Slayer, an’ I can take care of myself. Besides, you need to stay here. I’m more use goin’ out to get info than sittin’ here with you. You’ll have the witches around for support.”

“But you’re strong. You can help me fight Glory. So far I‘ve been lucky, even both of us might not be enough, but we might at least stand a chance. I need you to protect Dawn. Protect her like you protect me.”
Spike came over and squatted in front of Buffy, raising a hand to brush the hair out of her eyes and cup her cheek. Joyce silently stood and went into the kitchen where she filled the kettle and put it on, leaving the Slayer and vampire alone.

“I swear to you I’ll protect her Buffy. Until the end of the world. All three of you Summers women. You’re my family and I intend to do everythin’ in my power to keep you safe. For now the best thing I can do is see Doc. I’ll be right here with you after. Okay?”
She leaned in to his hand and placed her own over it. She knew he meant every word. Why had she never seen this side of him before? For about the millionth time she wondered how she could have been so blind. He meant everything to her too now. He was family, her family. She reached out her own hand and stroked his cheek, feeling her heart flip at the gentle smile he gave her.

“I love you.”

It was strange how the words came so easy to her now. Before, she’d always found it so difficult to acknowledge the strength of her feelings and let others know how she felt. It didn’t feel like her, like the tough Slayer she had become to say such things. They were true though. She meant them, and it was fulfilling to say them, knowing it was mutual. She saw his love shining in his eyes every time he looked at her, and it just felt so easy to say it back.
Spike blinked. He opened his mouth, brow furrowing a little. Had he dreamed that?

Did she just…

“You…”

She smiled at him and leaned in to kiss him gently. She pulled back and stared straight into his blue gaze.

“I love you.”

It felt better every time she said it.

Spike looked so stunned. She had to resist a giggle. She’d floored him with those three little words. Words he never thought she’d say to him, no matter how hopeful he was.

“Buffy?”

She recognized the joy and uncertainty in his voice. She held his face in both her hands and tried to convey everything she felt though her eyes the way he did.

“I love you, Spike.”
He watched her for any sign of hesitation and found none. He looked into her green eyes and saw the warmth there.

The love…She loves me.

He pounced and she squealed in delighted surprise. She found herself lying back on the couch, Spike’s arms around her as he kissed every inch of her face.

“I love you Buffy. You really mean it don’ you? You love me. You love me.”
He dove for her mouth then and she felt dizzy from the sensations he was causing in her. He was putting everything he had into the kiss and she whimpered before giving everything she had in return. They broke away when she needed air and Spike continued to kiss her anywhere he could: her neck, her shoulder, her collar bone.

“I really mean it. I love you, Spike.”

“Never gonna get tired of hearin’ you say that, pet.”

“Never gonna get tired of saying it.”

He purred, and she grinned as she held onto him. She remembered what they’d been discussing and knew now wasn’t the time to celebrate no matter how much they might want to.

“Spike?”

“Hmm?”

“I really don’t want to stop this, but…I have to call Willow.”
He paused and slowly eased up to sit on the couch. She groaned at the loss of him against her, but sat up herself so they were side by side.

“Right. Almost forgot the slight problem of imminent danger we’re in. Sorry luv, you call Red, I’ll go check on your Mum, see if she needs a hand.”

“Okay. Thanks. God, I can’t wait until this is all over with so we can have some time to ourselves.”

“You an’ I both kitten.”
He chewed on his lower lip as he ran his hand through her hair again, and Buffy could see how happy he was. She smiled at him and reluctantly got up to make the call to who she knew would be an anxious and confused Willow after their sudden exit from the Bronze.

Spike watched her while she waited for Red to pick up, then glanced over at the kitchen where Joyce was moving around out of sight. He got up and went in to see her taking some mugs out of a cabinet.

“Need any help Joyce?”

“No thanks. I’ve got it. Would you like anything? Coffee, hot chocolate?”
She kept her back to him, her voice cheery but Spike could sense her distress. She was putting on a show, but he knew she was scared and worried for Dawn’s safety.

“Joyce.”

“I don’t think I have any marshmallows left, but I’ll check. Silly me, I should know better. Now you’re going to be making regular visits and all…”
Spike stepped around the island and grabbed her arm, turning her to him, and she avoided his gaze. He lowered his head, trying to get her to look up at him, which she did reluctantly.

“Joyce, I know you’re worried, but it’ll be okay. Buffy’s gonna get the witches to make this place nice an’ safe an’ I’m gonna find out what I can ‘bout this Glory bird, then we can put a plan into action to stop her. Buffy always comes out on top an’ this’ll be no exception.”

“But this is different. This is a hell god Spike. How do you stop something like that? And she’s after Dawn, my baby…both my girl’s are in danger and Dawn isn’t…I can’t believe…”
She hid her face in her hands as it all became too much. Her youngest daughter wasn’t real. They were all in danger from a god that Buffy couldn’t fight, and now, someone out there knew Dawn was the Key and would be coming after them.

“I know it’s pretty rough now Joyce, but I promise we’ll do everythin’ we can. They don’ look like much but those Scooby friends o’ Buffy’s are pretty tough an’ so is she. They’ll think o’ something’. An’ I’m speaking from experience here. Not to mention, Buffy’s got me on her side, an’ I won’ let anythin’ happen to any o’ you. Dawn’s the Key. It’s hard to believe, but this is the Hellmouth, an’ we have to learn to stop bein’ surprised by this stuff. Besides it doesn’ change that she is. She’s still your daughter right?”
Joyce nodded and hugged herself as she listened to him.

“An’ nothin’s gonna change that. Whatever she was before, whatever reality was doesn’ matter now. What matters is, she’s yours an’ you love her, an’ as far as she’s concerned you an’ Buffy are her family. That’s what’s important now, an’ that’s why we’re gonna do everythin’ we can to protect her.”
Joyce looked up at him with watery eyes and laid a hand on his arm. She smiled and he returned it.

“Thank you, Spike.”
Buffy walked in just then and took in the scene of her mother and Spike curiously.

“Everything okay?”

Spike turned to her and walked over to place an arm around her waist.

“Everythin’s fine pet. Red on her way?”

“Yeah, the whole gang actually. If something’s coming they want to be here to help. They’ll be here soon.”

“Good. I’m gonna have a quick smoke outside an’ check out the area, make sure nothin’s lurkin’ out there.”
He gave Joyce a wink, squeezed Buffy’s waist and left. Buffy turned back to her mother and raised an eyebrow inquisitively. Joyce smiled and stepped a bit closer to Buffy.

“Honey, whatever I said before about vampires, forget it. He’s a keeper. I assume you finally told him?”
Buffy blinked a couple of times wondering what that conversation had been about for her mother to be so pro-Spike. No matter how supportive she was before, vampire boyfriend’s were still not approved of, but now she seemed to be completely over the fact that Spike wasn’t the normal guy she’d always wanted her daughter to end up with.

“Uh, yeah, I told him I love him. You’re totally okay with this now?”

“Are you kidding? If I could find a guy like him I’d be the happiest woman in the world, even if he was a demon. Now come and help me get some snacks ready. If the whole gang is on their way they’ll need sustenance, particularly Xander.”
Buffy realized she wasn’t going to get any further explanation from her Mom and decided just to help out and wait for an opportunity to quiz Spike later. He came back inside when he’d finished his cigarette, with the Scooby’s in tow. Giles arrived soon after and Joyce went upstairs to keep Dawn company and make sure she was out of earshot, while the others gathered in the dining room for a meeting.The news that Dawn was the Key came as a huge shock to the Scooby

’s as was to be expected. Buffy felt a twinge of guilt when her friends looked upset that she’d hidden the truth from them, especially Willow after she’d promised her no more secrets. Giles defended her however, agreeing that at the time it had been the best course of action in keeping them safe and hiding the truth from Glory. They understood and Buffy went on to explain what had happened and the reason why she’d rushed out of the Bronze with Spike. They were all disheartened by the news, and Willow and Tara began working out what spells they could use to put up some powerful barriers around the Summers home. They’d brought some supplies after Buffy’d informed them she needed protection spells, strong ones.
When they were all up to speed, Spike moved from his spot against the wall to announce his departure.

“You’re leaving?” Xander asked.
Spike ignored the unpleasant tone in the boy’s voice as he answered.

“Gonna follow up on this lead we had. Now the rest of you are here it should be okay for me to go for awhile. We need what we can get since the Watcher’s books aren’ useful. I’ll be back as soon as I can.”
Buffy stood and walked him to the door. She stopped him before he opened it, laying a hand on his arm.

“Be careful.”

He tugged her toward him for a quick kiss and then pulled back, opening the door.

“I promise. See you soon luv.”

And then he was gone. Buffy stood staring at the closed door for a minute, wishing she could go after him, but knew she had to stay there. She went back to the others to continue making battle plans.

***

Spike knocked on the door warily. He could hear someone moving about on the other side before they finally approached, and the door swung open. Spike took in the harmless looking guy in front of him with his spectacles perched on his nose, smiling welcomingly. The bloke was short, shorter than Buffy even.

“Why hello there. Come in, come in, you have questions right?”

Spike studied the guy again before cautiously stepping inside.

“Uh yeah. Heard you were the bloke to ask ‘bout rituals an’ hell-gods.”
Doc smiled that unnerving cheery smile again and wandered around the small, cluttered room in his dressing gown, cocking his head from side to side as though looking for something.

“Right right, you want to know about Glorificus and the Key. Well there’s not much I can tell you I’m afraid. She’s searching to go home of course and needs the Key, which, could be anything. I did have a tome here somewhere that could fill you in on the details of how she was overthrown and banished if I can find the darn thing, but I don’t think you’re here for a history lesson, are you?”

“Not exactly. Was hopin’ you could fill in the details of that ritual she needs to do to get home?”
Doc turned to face Spike with an apologetic shrug.

“Sorry, I’m afraid I don’t have anything like that. It’s too well hidden, even for me. Of course, there are hundreds of rumours, but you can’t rely on them, and you’d need to be accurate if you wanted to prevent it. Say, don’t I know you from somewhere?”
Spike frowned and watched the guy. He was far too calm for Spike’s liking and dismissive, as though he knew exactly what Spike was after and was determined to stop him from getting it.

“Must be mistaken. I’ve never seen you before now.”

“You sure? I could swear you’re that guy that hangs out around the corner…No? I must be mistaken. You look just like him.”
Doc had moved all around the room while he talked and had settled in front of a desk that was as cluttered as the rest of the room. Spike glanced from the desk to Doc. That feeling he got in poker games was coming on again, the one he got right when he knew his opponent was bluffing.

“Well I really am sorry you wasted your time, but I can’t help you.”

“You’re lying. You know somethin‘…an’ I’m bettin’ whatever it is, is in that box you’re tryin’ to hide behind you right?”
Doc looked down at the box behind his back, then at Spike, removed his glasses and smiled. His reptilian tongue shot out of his mouth so fast it was little more than a blur and Spike had never been so happy to have vampire speed than at that moment. He narrowly avoided getting pushed backwards but received a stinging slash to his cheek. He growled and looked back at Doc tensing up for a fight. The smaller man’s eyes went black and he laughed before advancing, then his lethal tongue shot out again.

***

“Captain, are we ready?”

“Yes sir. The men are prepared for this battle. We surely have enough to overpower her this time.”

“Yes, now we know who to focus on. The girl must die. Gather the men for a final prayer before we attack. The Beast shall not succeed in destroying this world.”

In a small clearing in the woods a hundred Knights of Byzantium prepared to follow their General into battle. It was unthinkable that they would fail this time, not now when they had finally discovered the Key after keeping vigil so long over the Slayer’s followers. Even if they did die tonight and failed to destroy the Key, a thousand more would take their place. Nothing would stop them in their mission and nothing would get in their way. After a final prayer, they gathered their weapons and began marching towards their enemy.