Author's Chapter Notes:
So, I've neglected you guys for a while. Sorry. Had a lot on my plate lately, but here's the next chapter. I will hopefully have the next one up soon too.

Thanks again to my fantastic beta SanityFair, and thanks to all my wonderful reviewers. :-)
Chapter 24

Joyce came downstairs to find Xander still stuffing his face with snacks even at this late hour, Anya sitting beside him watching T.V. and Willow and Tara walking in the door after finishing up a protection spell. Moving into the dining room she found Giles poring over some of his research books. He took off his glasses and rubbed his tired eyes as she entered the room.

“How’s it going?” Joyce looked at the stack of books Giles had laid out before him.

He jumped a little at the sound of her voice and smiled sheepishly.

“I’m afraid things aren’t really progressing at all. I’ve gone over the books dozens of times without any more information than we had already. I just hope Spike can find something of use before whoever stole my journal comes calling.”

“You and me both. Where’s Buffy?”

“Out back getting some air. Patience was never one of her strong points and this situation…I can tell she’s worried about him too. I know she would have preferred to have gone with him.”

Joyce nodded. She was worried as well, just like she was every time Buffy went out alone to patrol. Slayer or not, she was her daughter, and Joyce couldn’t help worrying. She would be happier to have Spike around to help Buffy, and now, she shared her daughter’s concerns for him.

“I’ll go talk to her.”

Joyce paused on her way out and looked over her shoulder at the Watcher.

“I’m glad you came to your senses and are willing to give him a chance. I know I never had the experience of having him as an enemy, but what matters now is who he is, not who he was. I trust him, and I hope you will too.”

She continued on out the back door, and Giles stared after her, considering her words. He had always dismissed much of what Joyce said regarding Buffy as the Slayer since she was always looking at things from a mother’s point of view, but she had some very good instincts, and he agreed with much of what she thought when it came to Buffy’s future. He was doing his best with this Spike situation, but Joyce’s opinion made him reconsider his view of the blond vamp. He decided to try even harder to see the good in him that Joyce and Buffy seemed to see. Tonight’s excursion would also be an example of the vampire’s willingness to help them with these apocalyptic threats.

Joyce found Buffy sitting on the back steps looking up at the cloudy sky. Wordlessly, she joined her daughter, and they sat there for a minute. Joyce knew she couldn’t ease Buffy’s fears, but she hoped she could at least give her comfort and support.

“It’s funny…”

Joyce looked over at Buffy who smiled as she spoke softly, as though unwilling to break the peaceful silence surrounding them.

“…last time, it was Spike out here comforting me, when you were going into the hospital. He came here ready for a fight, maybe even to try and kill me after…I said some really horrible things to him. I even told him to leave me alone when he got here, but he didn’t. He put aside all his anger at me and just sat here…comforted me. It was the first night I ever felt…ever realized the change, the man he could be. Now it’s you out here comforting me when I’m scared for him.”

Joyce leaned in and hugged Buffy, who raised an arm to cover her Mom’s.

“I know I shouldn’t be so worried. He can take care of himself. He’s lived a lot longer than I have, and been in a lot more danger. I’m just not used to feeling this way about him. I never cared before, and now, I can’t stand it when we’re apart. Add to that the thought something might be coming for us here, and you’ve got a Slayer who’s ready to climb the walls if something doesn’t happen soon. I don’t want us to get attacked but this waiting…”

“I know honey. You’re doing a good job though. I’ve never been more proud of you. You have to deal with so much more than anyone your age should, and I’m in awe of you. You protect me, Dawn, and your friends no matter what, and I’m happy you have someone who can protect you too. He’ll be fine. Spike’s a survivor.”

“Yeah.”

They sat for another minute or two before finally standing to head back inside. Buffy thought she saw movement out of the corner of her eye, and was just turning to look out at the backyard when there was a bright flash of light, and a siren began to wail at a deafening pitch. Both women covered their ears and ran inside, where the others had all jumped to their feet in alarm. Dawn thundered down the stairs, panic written all over her face.

“What is that? What’s going on?”

Tara rushed to comfort the frightened teen and explain.

“It’s a spell we set up. To alert us to danger. Something set it off. If anything comes here with the intent to attack the siren is triggered, and a barrier is raised. Only those attacking and the people inside the barrier can hear it.”

Buffy rushed to the window and looked out, quickly followed by Xander and Giles. They all felt a rising dread as they saw a swarm of knights picking themselves up off the ground and clutching their ears. They tested the barrier, beating it with their swords, and turned to a knight dressed in red garments, who seemed more official than the others.

“That must be the General,” Giles informed them.

They watched as he beckoned two men dressed in black robes with crosses around their necks forward. They raised their hands, and began chanting something as the siren died down. Buffy looked over at Willow questioningly.

“Once we’re alerted to danger the siren stops.”

“They did say they’d be back, and it looks like they’re organized. At least now we know who stole your journal. I don’t know whether to be relieved or not, that it isn’t Glory.”

“I’ll go with relieved considering we actually stand a chance against these guys,” Xander put in.

“Yeah I’m guessing you’re right. Will, how long will the barrier hold with those priests trying to bring it down?”

“I’m not sure, maybe an hour? It would hold longer normally, but, they look like they know what they’re doing.”

“We don’t have much time then. Think, is there anything we can do to stop them without a big battle? I know we can fight if we have to, but we’re outnumbered, and there’s no way we can take them all on at once like this.”

“Who are they, and why are they attacking us anyway? What was in Giles’ journal?” Dawn demanded.

Buffy ignored her, and Joyce tried to calm the youngest Summers down, but wouldn’t look at her.

“Well I might know a spell that could make them forget. It’s a little tricky, but I can pull it off with Tara’s help. It wouldn’t normally be used on so many at once, but it should erase their memories so they won’t attack us.”

“Sounds good, can you get working on it?”

“Yeah sure, let me just grab the ingredients, I know I have some here somewhere. I grabbed almost everything we had when you told us to come over just in case.”

“Wait, Willow!”

Willow stopped and looked at Tara who had grabbed her arm.

“What?”

“You can’t just do the spell verbatim like that. We don’t want to completely erase their memories of who they are, because it will make them all amnesiacs. We just want them to forget about what they know about the Key and fighting Buffy. If they forget about the Knight stuff, or even about Glory, that would be good too. We don’t want to completely erase them, we have to be specific.”

“You’re right. I know we can work it out though. Make some changes.”

Buffy turned to Tara.

“Could that work?”

Tara seemed to think it over a minute before nodding her head in agreement.

“Yeah, I think so.”

“All right. You two work on that. The rest of you pick your weapons and watch them. I want to be prepared if they break through. Mom, you and Dawn get upstairs and hide. Okay? Don’t let them see you.”

Joyce nodded and tried to pull Dawn towards the stairs, but the brunette refused to budge.

“Wait. Someone tell me what’s happening. They’re after the Key right? You said you didn’t have it, and you came in here earlier screaming my name, then said it was about some demon after you. Clearly you were lying. I want to know what’s happening.”

“Dawn, not now. We’re under siege here, in case you haven’t noticed.”

“But…!”

“Dawn! Just get upstairs.”

Buffy turned away and moved back to the window, cutting off any further conversation with her sister. Dawn looked around to all the other Scoobies who avoided her gaze, including Giles and her Mom. Tears pricking her eyes in frustration, she turned and fled up the stairs, slamming her door behind her. Joyce hesitated a moment before following.

“Buffy, shouldn’t we tell her?”

“Tell her what, Xand? That six months ago she didn’t exist? Just how do you suggest we do that?”

Xander stared at the floor with no answer. Buffy turned back to the window.

“Exactly. Now can we please keep an eye on these Knights?”

She struggled to keep her voice steady. Part of her agreed with him. It seemed inevitable she’d have to tell Dawn the truth. She just didn’t know how.

***

“You are doing well. I didn’t know vampires could be quite so agile. Well of course, I knew about their enhanced predatory abilities, but still, you’re fast to dodge me so quickly.”

“You don’ get outta my way you’ll see how quick I can be when I’m rippin’ your head off.”

“A sense of humour I see. You won’t last. You’re getting tired much faster than I am, and pulling my head off won’t be nearly as easy as you think. Not even with your vampire strength.”

Spike straightened and observed Doc. He hated to admit it, but the bloke was right. He couldn’t keep this up much longer, and it wasn’t getting him anywhere. He had to go on the offensive. He had to get that box. He judged the distance and pounced, aiming for the desk. Doc was faster, and with surprising accuracy, whirled and kicked out, sending Spike flying back into a cabinet to land behind a trunk, books and boxes falling down around him.

“Nice try vampire, but not good enough. I can see you’re going to be too much trouble to allow you to simply walk away, but I can get rid of what you and your friends are after, so I don’t have to worry about any more guests trying to stop Glorificus.”

Spike raised himself up to see Doc pick up the box and turn to the lit fireplace, pushing off the ground to stand up. His hand came in contact with something cold and sharp. Looking down, he saw a sword that must have been in the cabinet he’d just smashed into. Picking it up, he hurled himself at the demonic ritual expert and slashed out with the sword. The annoyingly fast bugger dodged however and sent his tongue flying out again to push Spike backwards. He spun, tossed the box into the fire, and turned back to his opponent grinning.

His delight was short-lived as Spike plunged the sword straight into his chest, giving it an extra twist just for the hell of it. Doc blinked back his demonic eyes, mouth dropping open in disbelief, and fell to the floor, blue-black blood oozing out of the gaping hole left by the sword. Spike rushed to the fire and plucked the smoldering box out, wincing as the flames licked his hands.

Sniffing and gripping the box steadily under one arm, he turned to face the door. Pausing, he glanced back at the prone figure lying amongst the scattered books and furniture. He walked over to the body, and kicked at it with a foot. Tilting his head in consideration, he studied the dead demon as it leaked an ugly mess onto the carpet.

“Sod it. Better safe than sorry.”

He raised the sword and brought it swinging down at the demon’s neck. Black eyes opened seconds before the sword cut through flesh and bone, decapitating it and cutting off the shriek that was rising in its throat. The head rolled away to the far side of the room, the body twitched and spasmed before going still once more.

“Knew he was bluffin’.”

Spike grinned, his thirst for violence satisfied, and headed out into the night back to his Slayer. Hopefully whatever he had would prove useful to them.

***

“How much longer guys?”

“We have it all worked out. We’re ready to do the spell. It will take a few minutes before it kicks in, but hopefully the barrier will hold that long.”

“Uh, guys? I don’t think that barrier’s as strong as you think.”

“What?”

Buffy moved past Anya to look outside, and saw with dismay that she was right. The priests were starting to bust a whole in the magical wall surrounding the house, and the Knights were eagerly clutching their weapons and stepping closer, anticipating the upcoming attack.

“Get that spell done now!”

Willow and Tara sat cross-legged facing each other, ingredients at the ready. They had a bowl containing some odd plants with pink flowers in the centre, and a clear crystal sitting next to them. They quietly chanted some words, a light breeze, magically conjured up around them, and blew through their hair as they uttered the spell, eyes closed. As they neared the end of the incantation, Tara lit a match and set fire to the plants in the bowl which burned green. Willow held the crystal towards the flame until it glowed as they finished the spell, hoisted themselves to their feet, and left the plants to burn away.

“That’s it?”

Willow pocketed the crystal and picked up a nearby sword, ready to help if they had to fight.

“Yup. Now we just have to wait for the crystal to turn black and the spell will take effect. As long as we make sure it doesn’t break, the Knights will completely forget about the Key, or having seen Giles’ journal. We decided having them remember about Glory would be better, since anyone fighting her would be welcome, and they’ll probably be safer if they know about her since I’m sure she knows about them.”

“Great. Any idea how long it will take to go into effect?”

“’Fraid not.”

“I’m guessing, not long enough.”

Buffy turned to Xander who was staring out the window. Buffy and the others pulled back the curtains, and saw that they’d finally managed to tear a hole in the barrier.

“Crap. Alright guys, get ready. Looks like we have a fight on our hands after all.”

They stepped back from the door, weapons raised, and waited. They didn’t have to wait long. As quick as they could rush through the barrier, the Knights attacked. The door was broken open, and they flooded into the house. Buffy rushed to meet them, a sword of her own in hand to fend them off.

“No mercy!” One of the Knights cried.

Buffy twirled and struck, her sword slashing across his back and causing him to arch backwards, screaming in pain.

“Okay then, if that’s the way you want it.”

The Scoobies were holding their own, having battled many monsters in the time they’d known the Slayer, but even the experience they’d gained over the years wasn’t enough to turn the tide on the sheer number of Knights attacking. Soon they were being pushed back into the house. Buffy spotted two Knights heading up the stairs.

“Oh no you don’t damn it.”

She fought her way over to them, raced up the steps, and hauled them back. One of the men tumbled awkwardly to the ground, blocking the way for any others. Buffy blocked the other’s attack and grabbed his arm, twisting it until she heard a satisfying snap, and he cried out, dropping his weapon. She kicked him through the banister and he landed on the ground with a thud.

“Buffy!”

Buffy looked up to see Dawn standing at the top of the stairs, Joyce grabbing her around the waist, trying to pull her back.

“Get back! Hide!”

“The Key!”

The three Summers women turned to the Knight who had spoken. He was staring up at Dawn and pointing at her with his sword. More Knights were turning their attention to the Slayer’s sister and fear gripped Buffy at the cold look in their eyes. She turned to her Mom and sister. Dawn was frozen in place with her eyes wide, staring back at the man.

“What?” she asked, her voice a breathy whisper.

“Destroy the Key!”

They sped towards her, and Buffy positioned herself firmly between them and her sister. Joyce dragged a stunned Dawn backwards into her bedroom and slammed the door shut. The Scoobies hurried to Buffy’s aide, trying to set up a barrier between the attacking Knights and the stairs, but were too late to stop a group who were making their way up the steps. The Slayer had the narrow stairway on her side, but was being pushed back by the force of her attackers. Things did not look good.

Xander let out a yelp as a sword slashed his leg and fell to the ground. Anya shouted his name, but was forced back by oncoming Knights. As a group of medieval men crowded around a fallen Xander, Willow and Tara shouted a spell to send them flying back while Giles went to help the young man. Buffy was being pushed further and further back towards her Mom’s bedroom where her sister and Joyce were trapped. One of the Knights lunged at her and Buffy stumbled backwards, falling to the floor. A sword was raised above her and she gasped as the Knight prepared to plunge it downwards.

Suddenly his eyes went blank and he fell to the floor. Buffy blinked and she and the others watched as each man fell to the ground where they had been standing, and the sounds of battle abruptly cut off, peace descending on Revello Drive once more. Slowly, she stood.

“What happened?” asked Xander.

Willow fumbled around in her pocket and pulled out the crystal. It had gone completely black.

“The spell finally kicked in. The force of it must have knocked them out.”

“So, when they wake up, they won’t remember anything about why they’re here, or who the Key is?” Buffy enquired.

“Pretty much, yeah.”

“Okay, in that case, I say we pile these guys up outside, and let them make their own way home. I could do without coming up with an explanation for why they’re all passed out in my house.”

After helping Xander to the couch, where Anya went about nursing his injured leg, the gang set about carrying each of the sleeping Knights of Byzantium outside. Soon there was an odd sight of sleeping men in medieval garb on the pavement of Revello Drive, and Buffy wondered how the neighbours would explain this one away to themselves. Living in Sunnydale meant its residents had a habit of ignoring what was right in front of their faces. It certainly made the Scoobies job of covering these incidents up much easier.

Giles and Buffy balanced the door precariously back in place, so it at least appeared closed from a distance. They had other things to worry about before fixing it. Xander winced as Anya cleaned the gash on his leg.

“How you doing Xand?”

“Oh, great you know, sword wound aside. Nothing I can’t handle.”

Buffy offered a small smile in response. That had been way too close. She could have lost a friend today. She observed her slightly damaged house and saw the broken stair rail lying on the floor. She could have lost a lot more than that.

***

Spike was halfway to Buffy’s house when he saw them. He stopped in disbelief and watched as Knights of Byzantium marched toward him. He briefly considered his options. He couldn’t fight them because of the chip. His best bet was to run for it. He reconsidered when he noticed the puzzled looks on their faces. They seemed to be rushing to get off the street, not liking being out in the open like this and a little lost as to what they were doing. Spike stood perfectly still and watched curiously as they walked passed him, avoiding eye contact.
What the bloody hell’s goin’ on now?

The smell of blood caught his attention. Many of the Knights were injured, but a particular scent had stood out momentarily. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, letting his vampire senses take over. His eyes popped open when he pin-pointed the source. Somewhere among the Knights was a sword with Xander’s blood on it.

Spike took off, racing the rest of the way to the Summers home. He wasn’t sure what had happened, but clearly there had been a battle between the Scoobies and the Knights, and Spike feared for his girlfriend and her family’s safety.

***

“Is it true?”

They all looked up as Dawn came downstairs, her face hard and eyes watery, betraying her emotion. Joyce followed her, looking at Buffy helplessly. Dawn stopped when she reached the bottom of the stairs, staring at her sister and slowly entered the living room to stand in front of her.

“Is. It. True?”

Buffy swallowed hard. She looked at Giles who was just as unsure and helpless as her Mom. The others gathered around, casting glances between Buffy and Dawn. Dawn stamped her foot to get Buffy’s attention.

“Don’t look at them, look at me! Answer me! Is it true? Am I the Key?”

“Dawnie…”

“Just tell me! I’m tired of you hiding things from me! Am I even real?”

“Of course you are, Dawn. You’re real…but…you’re also,” Buffy wiped away tears as she faced her crying sister. At least one of them had to be strong.

“You’re the Key too.”

Dawn’s bottom lip wobbled, and she stared at the floor. Joyce put a hand over her mouth, choking back sobs at her daughter’s distress. Buffy reached a hand out to Dawn, but she flinched away. When she spoke, her voice was full of venom.

“If I’m the Key then I’m not real. That’s what those guys said, that’s what Mom said. I’m just a thing, some mystical thing the monks hid from Glory. I’m not even related to you! I’m not related to anybody! I’m not…I’m not even human!”

Dawn dashed up the stairs, ignoring her Mom’s pleading for her to stop and listen. Buffy raced after her but the young teen had slammed and locked the door behind her, and Buffy’s knocking was only met with a scream for her to go away.

“Dawn! Dawn, please, open up, we have to talk about this. Dawn!”

There was no answer, but Buffy could hear her sister crying through the door. Joyce was sitting on the steps, her head in her hands as Giles did his best to comfort her. The Scoobies looked on anxiously. They were all startled when the door fell down on the floor again, revealing a concerned Spike. He stared at the door as he stepped around it, and then directed his gaze upward to where Buffy stood.

“Buffy, thank God, what happened? I jus’ saw a group o’ Knights marchin’ away from here in a daze with the whelp’s blood on one o’ their swords.”

“Hey!”

“Spike, you’re okay. The Knights took Giles’ journal. They came here to destroy the Key, and Willow did a spell to make them forget about Dawn. We had to fight until the spell took effect and Xander got hurt. But…oh, Spike, she knows.”

Buffy ran down to him and practically fell into his arms, relief at having him back mixing with her need for comfort.

“I’m a whelp? He’s still with the nicknames…Ow!”

Xander massaged the back of his head where Anya had slapped him, and glared as she made shushing motions. Everyone else ignored the display, their attention focused on the blond duo.

“She who, luv? Glory?”

“No, Dawn. She knows…she knows, she’s the Key.”

Spike rubbed her back and glanced at Joyce, noting her distraught look.

“Oh. I assume it wasn’t in a nice family chat, breakin’ it to her gently kind o’ way either, huh?”

Buffy just shook her head.

“Bugger.”