Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, chapter 28. See, I told you I'd update sooner again :) Hope you like it. This sets everything up for the final fight.

Thank you to my wonderful beta Sanityfair, and to everyone reading, reviewing, and addding this to their favorites. You rock!
Chapter 28



Buffy was in the middle of working out Xander’s sudden addition to the battle strategy when she froze. Every one of her senses tuned in to what was approaching outside. She looked up and saw Spike similarly rigid, tensing up as he noticed it too. Their eyes locked, and Spike nodded, heading straight for the weapons chest, while Buffy looked through the windows in search of the threat.

“What’s going on?” Xander asked, bewildered.

“Vampires,” Buffy said, her lips forming a thin line as she scanned the driveway. “Lots of vampires.”

“Vampires?” Xander repeated in disbelief.

“They won’t be able to get in without an invite,” Spike commented.

“True, but they can keep us trapped and keep Willow and Tara from getting back. Not to mention, they could always—” Buffy was cut off by Giles, who was now looking out the window.

“Smoke us out?” The Watcher asked.

“What?”

They all headed for the windows, only to see two of the vamps carrying Molotov cocktails.

“Don’t they know fire and vamps don’t mix?” Buffy questioned, as she pulled an axe and several stakes out of her weapons chest, handing some to Spike.

“Where are you going?” Joyce asked, panicked.

“Out there,” Buffy replied. “I can’t let them burn down the house with us trapped inside, and there’s no way we can just make a break for it. Stay safe, and we’ll deal with this. Vamps we can handle, and Glory isn’t around.”

“Don’t you think this has trap written all over it?” Xander asked, none too keen on having them leave the house either.

“I know, but that doesn’t change the fact that we can’t just sit here waiting for them to burn the place to the ground. “Here,” She handed Giles a crossbow. “you guard our backs against the window, but be careful to avoid those fire bombs. Xander, if they break through, I want you to make sure Dawn and Mom are safe, got it?”

The young man nodded and watched as Buffy and Spike ventured out into the war zone. He heard smashing bottles just before the door closed. After making sure Anya, Joyce and Dawn were safely away from any windows or doors, he grabbed a second crossbow and joined Giles in covering his friend’s backs.

“Is it just me,” he asked, as he dusted a vamp preparing to chuck one of the lit bottles at Spike. “or is there something familiar about those vamps?”

“If you mean the clothes, then I would have to say yes,” Giles answered, picking off another vamp who tried to approach his Slayer from behind while she dealt with two others. “Army gear.”

“Commandos,” Xander said.

Both men shared a grim glance before turning their attention again to the fight outside.

***

Buffy quickly staked two vamps, but was having a harder time with a third. The commando clothes hadn’t gone unnoticed by her. The soldiers had been tough, but nothing she couldn’t handle without breaking a sweat. Now, they had an edge, and clearly, they hadn’t forgotten their training, so they were a little more difficult to deal with than normal vamps. She caught sight of Spike out of the corner of her eye, and had it not been for another vamp rushing her, she would have found it difficult to look away.

Spike was having the time of his un-life slaying the vamps. There was nothing like a fight to make his demon roar with excitement, and this was his chance to get revenge on the wankers who had made him vulnerable to humans and forced him to go against everything he was. That it had led him to Buffy was the only bright side, but he couldn’t spar with her or help her fight human attackers like those knights, so he was more than happy to dust them. He was in full vamp face, kicking, punching, and staking vamps as fast as they attacked. Not only was he getting his revenge, he was protecting his family which made him a vicious opponent.

Though they were handling the vamp army well, the duo was also being drawn further away from the house, despite their best efforts to stay between it and the vamps. Giles and Xander were doing their best to fend off any that came too close, but it wasn’t enough. A fire bomb smashed through a window and landed in the living room, instantly erupting in a huge blaze that spread to the furniture. Dawn and Joyce screamed and backed up into the kitchen with Anya. Giles rushed to try and put out the blaze, but it was no use. The fire was too hot to approach and spreading too quickly. Xander grabbed him and ushered him toward the kitchen.

“C’mon, we need to get them to safety!” He yelled.

Giles was torn between getting them all to safety and feared they would most likely be walking into a trap if they left. Another look at the roaring blaze in the room they had just vacated made his mind for him. After a quick scan of the backyard, he was relieved to find no sign of vamps or hell-gods, and he ushered them out.

Xander took the lead, Dawn close behind with Joyce and Anya on either side of her with Giles taking up the rear.

“Where are we going?” Joyce asked, keeping a firm hold on her daughter’s arm and looking around anxiously.

“The Magic Box. That’s where Buffy’s weapons are, and it has a similar protection spell to the one here. We might not be able to use a troll-god’s hammer, but at least we have the Dagon Sphere and an armory, not to mention a full stock of magic supplies,” Xander answered without hesitation.

They barely made it down the block before their path was blocked by someone they thought they’d never see again. They all halted in shock. Giles and Xander moved to shield Dawn, crossbows raised.

“Riley?” Xander asked, confusedly.

The tall man took a step closer, but paused when they adjusted their weapons, raising his hands in a defensive gesture. He had changed out of his army gear, not wanting to highlight the fact he was part of the group attacking the house.

“Hey, relax. I’m here to help.”

“Of course you are. Your entire unit showing up as vampires attacking the house obviously supports that notion,” Giles said coldly, never taking his eyes off the other man.

“Giles, come on. Do you honestly think I’d try to take you on by myself if I’d been turned, when there was a whole army of my men around? I would have made sure to block your escape, fence you in. I’m a tactical man, Giles. If I wanted to take you out, I wouldn’t have offered an easy escape route.”

“That’s just it, Riley. They’re your men. Care to explain how they got vamped and why we would ever trust you? Oh, and there’s the whole trying to kill Spike thing that I know you aren’t over.” Xander drew his old friend’s attention, for the first time disliking the soldier.

“I’m not one of them anymore. Fact is, that stunt over Spike got me dishonorably discharged for needlessly endangering my men. That mistake saved my life. I spotted one of them feeding, and when I checked on the place, I found them, most dead, others turned. The place was a bloodbath. I don’t know how, but I’m pretty sure Glory was behind it. I don’t see any other reason for them to attack you. I tracked them here. I want to help. I know you’re at war with her, and that bitch killed my friends, turned them into the things I hate most. I want to help take her out.” Riley lowered his hands, staying put, his eyes flickering from Xander to Giles. He could see the younger man wavering, and Giles had lowered his weapon a few inches.

“But you still tried to kill Spike. You just said you hate vamps the most. How do you expect us to trust you? You can’t fight alongside Spike, so how can you expect to help?” Dawn argued, angry and mistrustful of her sister’s ex.

Riley lowered his head to hide the faint smile crossing his face. When he looked up again, he was doing a good impression of remorseful and hurt.

“Dawn, I’m not forgiving when it comes to demons. I’m prejudiced. I admit it. I don’t see how they can be anything other than evil. Spike can’t hurt people because of the behavior modification chip. I don’t understand how he can be good just, because he’s been forced to be tame. I have no love for him. The guy pushed my buttons from day one, and when he took Buffy from me…” He paused and rubbed his head before looking back up. “But what matters is you all trust him. But can you honestly tell me you were that accepting when you found out? That you didn’t want to stake him yourselves?”

Xander and Giles took those words to heart. It was true they’d thought about killing Spike, but they’d learned to deal with it, and they’d never been as obsessed with killing him as Riley so obviously had been.

“Some things are bigger than vendettas. Glory will destroy the world if we don’t stop her. That’s what matters right now. Once we stop her, I’ll leave. Promise. There isn’t anything left here for me.” Riley waited, watching them.

He could see they were still unsure and edgy, but he also saw the crossbows were now pointing at the ground. He bit his tongue to keep from grinning.

***

Buffy kicked a vamp’s legs out from under him and staked another who had been standing behind him before dropping to the ground and turning the first to dust. She saw one vamp bypass her heading to the house and threw her stake, implanting it in his back, making him explode into dust, the stake dropping to the ground. Through the remaining dust particles she finally noticed the orange flames licking the house through the windows.

“No! Dawn!” She shouted, running for the house.

The few remaining vamps blocked her way, and she struggled with one while another went for her throat. A third turned to dust, and suddenly Spike was there. Yellow eyes flashing, he reached for the vamp who was trying to sink his fangs into Buffy, gripped him round the head with both hands, twisted, then pulled. The vamp’s head was torn right off, the gruesome sight lasting seconds before he too disintegrated. Buffy shrugged the other vamp away and caught the stake Spike tossed her, dusting him. They took off for the house, but the flames blocked their entrance.

“Dawn!”

Spike had to hold Buffy back. She was prepared to run straight into the house. Before their eyes the flames suddenly lowered before extinguishing altogether. A glance behind them revealed Willow and Tara, hands joined, obviously having used a spell to put out the flames. They finished the spell, their concentration shifting to worry and ran after Buffy and Spike who flew into the house. After confirming no one was in the house, Buffy ran to the back door and turned to Spike.

“Where are they?”

He sniffed the air, trying to track the group through the scent of ash and smoke.

“They headed that way,” he said nodding in the direction they had gone. “Prob’ly headin’ to the Magic Box. That was the next port of call and prob’ly the safest place.”

The four took off, hoping to catch up to their friends and praying they were okay.

***

“How can you help?” Xander asked.

“I have the jeep. We can get to the Magic Box a lot faster that way, safer too. What do you say? You want a ride, or would you rather risk walking out in the open like this?” Riley waited patiently.

The men shared a look. Anya was watching both of them anxiously, keeping one eye on Riley. He seemed genuine, but he really hated demons, which had always made her very nervous around him. Joyce and Dawn stepped a little closer to each other, still unsure about trusting the former soldier, but much preferring the thought of faster transport.

“Okay. But you lead the way, and if I suspect you have an ulterior motive…” Giles let his sentence drift off, but held the crossbow a bit higher.

Riley nodded and turned to lead them to where his jeep was parked. Once he rounded a corner he made a quick signal with his hands before the others following him could see. The jeep was just up ahead. The gang relaxed a little when they saw it. They were only a few feet away when the Slayer’s voice reached them, calling for her sister. Giles turned just in time to see a commando vamp grab him roughly by the shoulders and toss him across the street, where he hit the pavement with a thud.

“Giles!” Xander shouted, turning quickly, crossbow ready to shoot the vamp.

Another vampire was ready for him and snatched the weapon away, breaking it and punching Xander hard. Anya jumped on the vamp’s back before he could bite Xander, but it took mere seconds for him to fling her off and send her and the young man tumbling to the ground. Dawn squealed as Riley grabbed her from behind and tried to haul her to the jeep, his vamp face in place. Joyce’s eyes widened when she realized he was a vampire, but the sound of her youngest daughter’s screams shocked her into action, and she grabbed Dawn’s other arm, starting a tug of war with the furious vamp.

“Let go!” He roared at her, but Joyce clung even tighter, trying to kick him away.

Dawn was struggling too, making his grip on her weaken. Joyce could hear Buffy’s voice getting closer. If she could just hang on until they got here.

“Grab her!” Riley ordered the other vamps.

“Buffy!” Joyce shouted as the two vamps grabbed her arms and pulled her back.

“Mom!” Dawn cried, seeing Joyce flung to the ground as Riley hauled her backwards, opened the rear door of the jeep and flung her in, diving in behind her. One of the vamps got in on the other side, while the second ran to the driver’s seat.

Giles was up and running toward the jeep when the engine sprang to life. Xander and Anya joined him, racing forward. Joyce got to her feet in time to see Buffy and Spike fly past her towards the vehicle before it took off with a squeal of its tires. They chased it down for a while, but it was futile. The jeep picked up speed and got away. It turned a corner and vanished and only then did Buffy stop running.

“Dawn!” Buffy cried, sinking slowly to the ground.

Spike came to a halt behind her and just stared at the spot where the jeep had vanished. The others looked on. Dawn was gone. They’d failed. Joyce burst into tears and only Tara’s support kept her upright as shock and anguish flooded her.

***

“No, no, no. It’s all wrong! Jinx, I told you everything must be perfect. This robe is scratchy. I can’t do my big ceremony and have my grand return home ruined by a scratchy robe. Now, get those useless excuses for seamstresses in and fix it!” Glory tossed the offensive garment at her most loyal servant.

“As, you wish, oh great Glorificus. Nothing but the finest material shall touch your most delicate and beauteous skin,” Jinx gushed, handing the robe to a lower minion and shooing him away while managing to bow to his divine mistress.

Riley took in the sight and grinned at the pathetic demon, sucking up for all he was worth. He cleared his throat and the two turned to him. Glory scanned him up and down and tapped a foot, one hand on her hip.

“Well?”

He smiled, flashing his fangs and stepped aside, motioning for the two vamps holding Dawn to step forward. They dragged the frightened girl into the room to stand in front of Glory who placed both hands over her mouth and did a little excited hop. Riley bowed low, putting on a show for the vain hell-god.

“Your Key, oh magnificent one.” It was really difficult to keep the mocking tone out of his voice, and he caught Jinx’s glare.

“My Key. You got it. Oh, aren’t you precious? Such a naughty little thing, being that close to me and never telling me. But it’s all okay because you’re here now, and we can finally get this show on the road. “You” she stepped towards Dawn and ran a hand through her hair gently, ignoring the young girl as she flinched away, “are going to open the door, and let me go home. Now, don’t you feel special?”

Dawn pulled back and the vamps holding her tightened their grip, making her wince. Glory noticed and smacked one of them lightly on the head.

“Now, boys, don’t go damaging her before it’s time. She has a very important job to do tomorrow night. You hungry, Dawn? I can have my chef whip you up something if you’d like? Can’t have you feeling all weak and poorly. Need that blood of yours pumping away so we can open that door.”

Dawn kept her mouth shut, leaning as far away from Glory as she could possibly get.

“You know, it’s really rude not to answer when your generous host asks you a question little girl. You’re lucky I’m in a good mood right now. Okay, take her to her room, and keep her guarded. I don’t need to tell you what’ll happen if you don’t.” She sing-songed the last part and with a flick of her wrist, sent them away.

Dawn struggled uselessly as she was hauled away. Riley smirked at the death glare she shot him when she was pulled out of the room.

“My sister is so gonna stake your ass.”

“Not likely. Your sister’s not that good Dawn. If she was she could have stopped Glory a long time ago and saved you.” He watched as she was led away, then entered Glory’s room and sat down.

Jinx hurried over and tried to stare him down, clearly signaling the vamp to leave. Riley barely glanced at him before looking back to Glory.

“So, I trust I’ve pleased you? I delivered. I’m going to get a reward when this is over?”

Glory played with her hair before plopping down onto a couch and opening a box of chocolates, moaning as she bit into one.

“When everything goes smoothly and I go home, and if you survive the Slayer’s predictable last stand tomorrow, yes, you’ll get your reward.”

“Think she’ll still be up for a fight even after you have Dawn? She hasn’t been able to do much to you yet. You don’t think it’ll be too much for her?”

“Well, you’re the one who dated her, you tell me. She the kind of girl who gives up when the odds are stacked against her?” Glory took another bite of the chocolate, savoring it while she waited for his answer.

“No. Actually I’d say she fights even harder. She’ll be at her best.”

“Well then,” Glory ate another chocolate before tossing the box away, picking up her champagne and taking a sip, “it’s a good thing I’ll be on top of my game too. Not only will I be even more powerful, I’ll outnumber her little gang too. And with what I have set up, there’s no way she’ll be in time to save the girl. The Slayer’s about to realize her place in the world. Beneath me.”

***

The subdued group sat in the magic shop and waited for Buffy to come back in. She’d heard something in the alley out back and had gone to investigate. They looked up when they heard the door. Buffy walked in, arms folded and made her way to the little table they were gathered around.

“Something going on?” Xander asked.

“Vamps. The usual kind, out looking for an easy meal.” She shrugged.

Joyce was staring at the table. She hadn’t said a word since she stopped crying on their way to the shop. She didn’t answer when anyone spoke to her. It was like she wasn’t even there. Buffy looked her over, wanting nothing more than to comfort her, but the only way she could do that was to bring back Dawn. So that’s precisely what she was going to do.

“We know when this ritual takes place tomorrow night, which gives us a full day to prepare for battle.”

They all looked up at her. It was clear she was as determined as ever to fight this out. She had their full attention.

“Nothing’s changed. We’re still fighting Glory, only now it’s to take Dawn back. The plan goes ahead. We have the hammer, we have the sphere, and we have each other. Willow, locator spell. I want to know where this is going down.”

The redhead nodded and began setting up the spell.

“Xander, it’ll take you some time to set what we talked about up, so once we work out where this is happening, I want you start getting ready. Tara, you and Willow make sure you have enough energy for what you have planned. I don’t want you exhausted and hurting yourselves. I need Glory weakened. Giles, you and Spike need to find Dawn and get her to safety once I have Glory distracted.”

“Buffy, I have it,” Willow called.

“Where?” Buffy asked, making her way over to the map Willow had spread out on the table.

They all checked the location. Xander pointed at the spot excitedly.

“Say, that’s perfect. Buff, I may have something else up my sleeve than what we originally thought. You just get Glory in position. I need to go set this up. I’ll explain when I get back.” He grabbed his jacket and ran out the door.

They watched him go before Buffy went back to distributing orders.

“Riley was an unforeseen factor in all of this. He’s in our way, and it’s because of him that Glory has Dawn. He’s messed with the people I love for the last time. I want him eliminated. “Spike,” the blond locked eyes with the Slayer, “that chip of yours shouldn’t be a problem now. He’s yours.”

Spike’s eyes flashed yellow, his demon howling inside at the thought of fighting the newly vamped ex-soldier. He nodded, his face set in determination. Joyce shifted in her seat and they all turned to look at her. She turned hard eyes to Spike, her hands gripping the table as she spoke.

“Make him feel it, Spike. I want him to know when he’s about to become dust.”

The cold tone of her voice was like nothing they’d heard from her before, except for Spike. He had a flash back to her holding an axe over him, protecting her child. She was scary enough to make a master vamp turn tail and run, even though she was just a human.

“I can guarantee it,” Spike answered.

Joyce nodded and looked back at the table, relaxing her grip. Giles was unsettled by Joyce’s behavior, though he agreed with her, finding her tremendously scary at that moment and was in the middle of polishing his glasses when Buffy spoke to him.

“Giles, you’re definitely going to want to stay conscious for this battle.”

He frowned indignantly. As if he was planning on being knocked out when they were in the fight of their lives. It’s not like it was ever his fault. He didn’t have super-strength to just bounce back when he was hit over the head or thrown against a wall. He opened his mouth to say so when Buffy held up a hand.

“I was never good with keeping a diary of my Slaying activities, and as my Watcher I’m relying on you to document how this goes down. I know for a fact the Council will want a report, and it will definitely be useful for future generations. After all, I’m about to take down a god.”

The Watcher grinned as understanding dawned.

“I can assure you, nothing will keep me from witnessing this. I have complete faith in you, Buffy. Glory won’t know what hit her.”

The atmosphere in the shop brightened significantly with a battle strategy worked out. They prepared their weapons and waited for Xander’s return. They got what little rest they could, anxiously awaiting the right time to head out and face Glory. It was time for the final showdown.


Chapter End Notes:
So...tell me what you think? I love hearing from you, and finding out your opinions.