Author's Chapter Notes:
Photobucket

This chapter goes out to Amy (xaphania on Elysian Fields) who is the mother of my wonderful new TSG banner. For all my people reading on ff . Net I fully recommend you following the link to it in my profile. It's fantastic, honestly. Look out for a special little thank you that I've decided to throw in here for you. I have a feeling you'll like it. :)

Thanks, as always, to my wonderful reviewers, people who have favorited this story, and the people who just sort of lurk around and take a quick peek. All of your support and kind words, or lack there of, is incredibly appreciated. I didn't get quite as many reviews for the last chapter as I usually do, but from what I gather it ended with quite a shocker. We'll just call it speechlessness.

Or maybe you're all upset with me about the cliffhanger? ;)

Also, I have never been arrested so if the details are kind of off about the entire thing I apologize. I actually had about an hour of conversation with one of my coworkers about when he got arrested so that I could get this a little closer to the real.

HIGH HO, SILVER! AWAY!
Chapter 21.

"Daddy, do something!" Cordelia cried from the front of the consistently growing crowd.

"I can't!" He replied as he held his hands out widely to either side of him.

"Why are you arresting him?" Buffy asked the officer that was currently blocking her way. "You didn't even take a statement to see who was at fault or even what happened! Spike was-"

"It is a strict policy of the property owners that anyone involved in any type of altercation be removed from the premises immediately." He explained.

"But you didn't have to arrest them!" Oz yelled in a way completely inconsistent with his usual calm demeanor.

"They were each arrested because the altercation turned physical." The officer said evenly. "They will each be put in a holding cell for the night until they can be seen by the judge tomorrow morning. By then we will know if the owners of the property wish to press charges or not. Until then there is nothing that you can do."

Buffy stared at the officer in shock. The night had been so wonderful, practically perfect in every way, and now this. She couldn't believe it and had no idea where she was supposed to go from here.

000000000000

"What do you mean you got arrested?" Anya screamed through the station pay phone.

Spike closed his eyes and leaned his forehead against the cold metal of the machine, he had one phone call and right now he was really regretting wasting it on Anya. He should have just ordered a pizza or something. "Not sure how to explain it differently, An."

"What are the charges?" She asked.

"Battery." He said quickly. "Got in a brawl with some git at that party. Next thing I know I'm slammed in to a wall and thrown in to a cop car."

"Are you okay?" She asked, her concern for his safety actually seeming sincere.

"Other than being in jail," he said quickly, "fine. Got a busted lip, that's all."

Anya let out a deep sigh. "This is not good, Spike. You do realize what this could do in that case with Angel, right?"

It was now Spike's turn to sigh. "I've thought about it."

There was a slight pause as Spike heard the quick typing of computer keys on her end. "Have you thought about the fact that you having multiple priors, especially this close to when he filed the charges, is really going to come back and bite you in the ass?"

"I know," Spike said through gritted teeth, "but this is what I sodding pay you for."

"Actually, you don't pay me at all, the record company-"

"You're the best in the business, Jenkins." He said softly. "I could kill a kitten on video and you could make it seem like a huge misunderstanding."

"I am pretty spectacular." She said lightly.

"So use your magic and make this better." He said.

"What's the name of the venue you were arrested in?" Anya asked.

"The Kristiana Mansion." He answered.

"Times up." The officer said from behind him.

Spike rolled his eyes. "Gotta go."

"Okay." Anya said as she typed furiously on her keyboard, "take care of yourself and don't cause any more trouble. I'm going to make a few calls, see what I can do about all of this and with any luck you'll be out by noon tomorrow."

"Thanks." He said hanging up the phone and giving the officer a slight nod. This wasn't his first rodeo, he had been arrested a couple of times in the past and he knew the drill. Any acting out would do nothing but make the entire situation that much worse and he knew that he really couldn't afford that right now. He followed wordlessly as the police officer led him back to his cell, he was in for a long night.

000000000000

Everyone was dropped off at Spike's apartment about an hour later. The entire limo ride had been spent in almost complete silence. Nobody was really in the mood for talking, not even Bob. Oz had called the police station shortly after they had left and they had told him the exact same thing that the officer at the mansion had, he was completely unable to do anything to help his best friend and it left him with an almost empty feeling.

They all exited the limo and began to make their ways to their cars, all except for Buffy. She sat staring at the apartment complex as if it was to be the scene of her own gruesome murder and the last thing she wanted to do was go inside. Xander had noticed her staring motionless at the building and instantly turned around. He walked up to her slowly and extended a hesitant hand to rest on her shoulder.

"You okay?" He asked softly.

"I don't want to go in there." She said quietly.

Her voice was nearly a whisper but Xander had heard it loud and clear. "Come on," he said as he tightened his hold on her shoulder and turned her away from the apartments, "mi casa es su casa."

000000000000

Spike sat on the small uncomfortable bed that adorned his cell. He had his head resting against the wall and his legs were tossed up on top of the itchy green blanket and crossed at the ankle. He had been ignoring Riley's cold glares from his cell across the hallway for a few hours now and it was getting old.

"What's the matter soldier boy?" He asked without looking at him. "That strip search get you all hot and bothered?"

"I really don't like you." Riley replied angrily.

"Feeling is mutual." Spike responded with his normal careless tone.

"And one day Buffy's not going to like you either."

Spike's head tilted to the side and met Riley's eyes straight on. "You really need to keep her name off of your lips, mate."

"Why's that?" Riley asked in an obvious attempt to illicit a reaction from him.

"As I recall," Spike said coolly, "you're little fascination with my girlfriend is what got us in to this mess. How's your nose?"

"How's your lip?" Riley shot back.

"Much better than those bruises forming under your eyes." That seemed to shut the boy up for a few moments. "So why, pray tell, do you have so much hate brewing under your surface towards me, Captain Cardboard?"

"Because you're a pompous ass." Riley answered quickly.

"No," Spike said as he scratched at a sudden itch behind his ear, "there's more to it than that. Come on, cub scout, we've got nothing better to do. Might as well clear the air here."

"Fine," Riley grumbled, "I don't like you because you're not good for her."

"Always back to my girl."

"All you're going to do is use her, screw her, and toss her to the side." He said as he ignored Spike's comment. "You've already got her face in every magazine in the world and when this is all over she'll never be able to go back to being a normal person. She shouldn't be with you."

"I believe that decision should be up to Buffy." Spike shot back.

"Buffy doesn't realize the mistake she's making."

"And what makes you the supreme expert on the subject, crew cut?" Spike asked as he finally let his anger seep to the surface. "Come on, tell me."

"I'm not-"

"Exactly!" Spike said loudly. "You don't know anything about Buffy and I. Yeah, I'm gone a lot and I may have a lot of birds swooning over me but that has never gotten between us. When I'm gone I call her every night, I see her face in the crowd every time I sing a song. I spend my entire tour counting the days before I can get back to this bloody slum just to see her face, just to wake up next to her every morning."

"And what are you going to do when that's not enough anymore?" Riley asked.

"Take her with me!" Spike answered. "There's nothing I want more than to take her away from this place and never look back, give her a life full of traveling around the world and seeing everything there is before turning around and visiting her favorites all over again."

"So what's stopping you?" Riley asked.

"She is!" Spike yelled as he moved up to the bars of his cell. "All that girl wants to do is finish school and as much as it kills me to leave her behind I do it because I care about her. I want her to be happy even if it means not seeing her for weeks at a time and I will always put what she wants first. Take a page from my book, tin man, when you care about someone as deeply as I care for her you tend to do a lot of selfless things, including leaving them to their own lives."

Riley didn't respond, he had never thought about it like that. He had feelings for Buffy, strong ones at that, but he had never actually realized how toxic those feelings could be for her, not until right now.

000000000000

"Oh, my God!" Buffy yelled at Xander's television. "Why would he shoot him in the chest? They have one bullet left and the guy is begging them to shoot him and he shoots him in the chest!"

"I know!" Xander said as he stuffed a handful of popcorn in his mouth.

Xander had gotten the complete series of Lost on DVD from Clem and since Buffy had never seen it they decided to spend what was no doubt going to end up a sleepless night watching as many episodes as they could. They were both getting really in to it and completed their movie night with sodas, popcorn, and about five boxes of Oreo cookies. Buffy was a little spacey sometimes, all things considered she had every right to be, but Xander was just happy that he could do something to help.

"Do you think Spike's okay?" Buffy asked suddenly.

Xander nodded as he chowed down on some popcorn. "I'm sure he's fine."

There was a long pause and for a moment Xander thought that the conversation may have ended. "Have you ever been arrested?"

Xander froze, popcorn filled hand stopping right before it met his already unhinged jaw. He looked over quickly and saw her looking at him with the same sad eyes she had been glaring at the building with. He dropped his hand to his lap and nodded. "Yeah, once when I was like eighteen."

"What was it like?" She asked.

"Well," he said, "first they stick you in the cop car and drive you down to the station. When you get there they give you a strip search and then take your fingerprints and a mug shot. You get put in a cell and just wait until they take you to be seen by the judge."

"Then what happens?"

"The judge," he said, "well the judge will... judge you and tell you what you need to do."

"What do you think they're going to make Spike do?"

Xander shrugged. "I'm not sure, maybe some community service or something."

Buffy nodded and pretend to pay attention to what was on the television screen. Xander watched as she picked nervously at her nails, something he had only seen her do once before. He reached out and put a hand on top of hers, she looked over at him with unshed tears welling up in her eyes.

"Buff," he said quietly, "he's going to be fine."

000000000000

"Well boys," the judge, an older woman with kind eyes and graying hair, said from the stand, "you two sure have gotten yourselves in a whole mess of trouble."

Spike and Riley both stood on opposite sides of the room with their eyes trained solely on the judge. They had sat in their cells for eight hours and the last thing that they wanted to do was stand in front of this woman and explain their actions. Spike wanted to get home and Riley just wanted to sleep, but the only way to their destinations was through this scene.

"Yes, your honor." Spike agreed.

"Luckily for the two of you both Mr. Chase and the owners of the Kristiana Mansion have chosen not to press charges, but the fact still remains that there was an altercation and said altercation did end violently." She said.

Spike bowed his head as he clasped his hands behind his back, this was not going to be good.

"Mr. Pratt, it seems that you currently have a lawsuit pending against you for assault and battery." She said as she looked over their file.

"Yes, your honor."

"Do you realize that should I charge you with this account of battery that during your next trial you could be sentenced to up to twelve months in jail as a repeat offender?" She asked.

"It was my fault." Riley said suddenly.

Spike's eyes narrowed as he kept his gaze fixed on the podium across the room, what was he doing?

"Go on." the judge said.

Riley sighed. "It was New Years Eve and I had been drinking. I got jealous over Spike and his girlfriend and just lost it."

"Intoxication is no excuse for putting your hands on another person, Mr. Finn." The judge said in a somewhat harsher tone.

"I know," Riley said quietly, "I am completely ashamed of my actions and I will accept the consequences."

The judge glanced down at the file she had sitting on her desk as she spoke. "You do realize that by this admission I can sentence you not only to pay a fine of up to one thousand dollars but also six months in jail?"

Riley nodded. "Yes, your honor."

The judge turned her attention to Spike. "Mr. Pratt, you are within your rights to press charges against Mr. Finn. Do you wish to do so?"

Riley held his breath as he waited for Spike's answer. "No, your honor, I think we're done here."

The judge nodded. "I am going to reduce the charges from battery to drunk and disorderly. You are each ordered to pay a fifty dollar fine as well as court costs which will equal the sum of one hundred and forty dollars."

Spike smiled as Riley let out an audible sigh of relief. "Thank you, your honor."

The judge nodded as she closed the file on her desk. "You are both free to go but if I see you in my court room again I will go for the full penalty, do you understand?"

Spike nodded. "Yes, your honor."

The judge smiled. "Happy new year."

000000000000

Buffy walked in to the empty apartment at quarter past ten the next morning. She was exhausted from the night before and the bus ride back to the building did nothing to calm her down. Between the crying baby and annoying teen talking on her cell phone at an obnoxious volume it had been pretty close to what Buffy imagined hell was like.

She flipped on the light switch and quickly made her way across the living room and over to Spike's bedroom, she was desperate to change out of the old pair of worn out jeans and long hooded sweatshirt she must have left at Xander's months ago and in to something comfortable. She was already plenty irritated as it was with the entire lack of sleep thing working against her and these old clothes from a time long since past were just egging on her frustration.

The moment she hit the inside of his room her sweatshirt was pulled over her head and thrown carelessly to the floor. The jeans followed close behind as she walked over to her suitcase in the corner of the room and sifted through it with clumsy motions. She could have cared less about the mess she left in her wake as she went on in her search. She found a black tank top and threw it on over herself before pulling out a pair of gray capri cut sweatpants with Roth University written in red down the leg.

Finally feeling comfortable she turned to make her way back in to the living room to watch some TV while she waited for Spike to show up, the last thing she expected was for him to open the front door just as she was closing the one to his bedroom.

000000000000

Spike walked in to the apartment and came face to face with the one person he was actually nervous about talking to, Buffy. She stood next to the door to his room, her hair still in the soft waves it had been in the night before, and she was looking at him as if she had just seen a ghost. She had small circles under her slightly bloodshot eyes and Spike could tell that she had gotten just as little sleep the night before as he had.

"Go on, then." He said quietly as he closed the door behind him. "I've already gotten an earful from Anya and Giles both on my way over here so if I'm gonna have it out with you it might as well be-"

He was cut off when Buffy flung herself in to his arms so roughly that he had to take a step back to reclaim his balance before wrapping her up in him tightly. Her small arms were wrapped tightly around his neck and her could already feel the tears soaking in to his black dress shirt from the night before.

"I was so worried about you." She whispered against the crook of his neck.

Spike kissed the top of her head softly. "It's alright, luv, I'm fine."

She pulled back slightly, just enough to look him in the eyes. "There was nothing we could do, we tried to follow behind you but the cop wouldn't let us."

Spike's lips lifted in the slightest ghost of a smile as he gently wiped away one of her tears with his thumb. "I know."

Buffy's brow knit together and her frown deepened as she took in his injuries. "Your lip." She said sadly.

Spike chuckled, she was so damn cute. "I'm fine, ducks, it'll heal."

"What happened?" Buffy asked. "When you were in jail I mean."

"Well," he said as he released his hold on her and led her over to the couch, "we sat in our cells all night and at about nine we got taken to see the judge. She ended up reducing the charges and we just have to pay a fine."

"Reduced the charges?" Buffy asked.

Spike nodded. "Yeah, to drunk and disorderly. Riley pulled some type of hero move and admitted that it was all his fault, that he was the one that attacked me, and she decided to let us off easy. It was strange."

"I'm just glad you're home." Buffy said. "I couldn't even come in here last night. I stayed at Xander's all night watching Lost."

"Bloody brilliant show." Buffy nodded but didn't say a word, her relief was completely overtaking her and Spike could see it clear as day in her forest greens. He leaned forward and lightly touched his lips to hers before pulling back, standing up, and offering a hand to her. "Come on, I think we could both go for a nap."

Buffy took his hand and followed him in to the bedroom. The each climbed in to their own side of the bed and turned to face one another. With their hands joined together between their faces they each fell in to the black abyss with nothing but the other on their minds.

000000000000

"We set up a merch table at most of the shows we go to." Anya said as they walked out from behind the stage of The Shadow Gallery. The guys had a show there tonight and Anya had thought it would be the perfect time to introduce her to her new job. "Nine times out of ten they will be at the back of the venue."

"Okay." Buffy said as she followed behind Anya.

They approached the hallway that usually would lead to Clem's office and the storage room and Buffy was surprised to see it blocked off by a long table and a couple of standing racks behind it. As they got closer Buffy noticed that the table was full of Flesh of the Passions merchandise and several of the band's posters and other random things were hanging on the racks. There was a girl standing between the table and the racks working quickly at organizing the merchandise as much as she could in the small space.

"And this is your new coworker." Anya said as they reached the girl. "Since I have my own work to do she's going to teach you how they do things back here."

Buffy smiled sweetly and extended her hand. "Hi, I'm Buffy."

"Amy." The girl answered as she took Buffy's hand firmly in her own and gave it a nice shake. "I'm so happy to meet you, I've heard a lot about you."

"Really?" Buffy asked.

"Oh, yeah." Amy said laughingly. "When you tour with a band you kind of get to know them and your name tends to pop up pretty often."

"I'll let you two get friendly." Anya said as she quickly walked away.

Amy was a pretty brunette girl with long hair and long bangs pushed gently to the side of her eyes. Amy was a little taller than her and had an aura of happiness around her, Buffy liked the girl instantly. "So what do we do?" Buffy asked.

"Well when we first get to a venue we set up the table." Amy explained. "Sometimes they will have little nooks already set up for us, but usually we're just throwing up this little beauty and calling it a day. We put a black sheet over the table and the racks, just to give it a more put together look, and then just kind of throw one of each thing up there."

"Does it matter where?" Buffy asked.

Amy shook her head. "No, as long as it looks good it's fine. We have index cards that go with each item that says how much it is and stuff like that. If you lose one or rip it, no big deal, we've got like three hundred extras."

Buffy laughed. "Sounds simple enough."

"It is simple until the fans actually get in here and then it gets kind of crazy." Amy explained. "You'll have like twelve people shouting things at you but you've just got to choose one and let the others wait it out. We'll get to everybody before we shut down for show time."

"Shut down?" Buffy asked.

Amy nodded. "Yup, we close down during the show and are free to do whatever we want. We've just got to be back here before they do their encore so that when the lines start forming again we're ready."

Buffy nodded, she could handle this.

000000000000

Doors had opened some time ago and the fans had been swarming over to the merch table non-stop. Buffy was somewhat used to the constant onslaught of orders, she was a waitress after all, but she had to admit that this was pretty ridiculous. Everyone wanted something different and every time it seemed as if their size was all the way at the bottom of one of the boxes. When the venue lights went out and everyone began to sardine themselves closer to the stage Buffy couldn't help but give a sigh of relief.

"You okay?" Amy asked.

Buffy nodded. "Yeah, it's just a lot of work."

"Hence why we only do it before and after the show, we need the break between." Amy said as Glory Wire took the stage.

I met a girl in East L.A.

In floral shorts, as sweet as may.

She sand in eighths in to barrio chords,

we fell in love, but not in court.

Buffy shook her head as she listened to Glory belt out the beginning of their opening song. She had never been sure just why those two bands had been thrown on a tour together, their sounds were completely different, but Buffy decided that the question wasn't important enough to pursue the answer as she turned back to Amy.

"I'm going to run over to the bar," she said, "my friend is the bartender. Do you want anything?"

"Yeah," Amy said with a nod, "sure I'll come with you."

The two girls walked up to the bar together and Buffy wasn't the least bit surprised when she saw Willow sitting in front of it talking carelessly with Xander. "Hey guys," she spoke over the music as she approached them, "this is Amy."

"Hi, I'm Willow." Willow said with a sweet smile. Amy waved at her and turned her attention to Xander just in time to see him turn his back on them and quickly start mixing up a few drinks.

"That's Xander," Buffy said to Amy, "looks like he knew what we were here for."

"It's a bar," Xander called over his shoulder, "this is all anyone's here for."

"That's not true," a familiar voice said from behind Buffy that made her blood run cold, "I'm sure most of these people are here to see the bands play."

Buffy turned and came face to face with none other than Riley Finn. She looked at him just long enough for him to notice the angry look in her eyes before quickly turning back around with every intention of ignoring him for the rest of the night. When he walked up in front of her, however, she knew it was easier said than done.

"Can we talk?" He asked.

"I have absolutely nothing to say to you." Buffy said angrily.

"Will you at least just hear me out?" He asked.

Buffy glanced around her, she really didn't want to do this here in front of everybody but there was nowhere semi-private for them to go. She let out an annoyed sigh as she turned back to him. "Go."

"I'm really sorry about last night."

"You should be." She shot back quickly.

"But I admitted what I did to the judge and everything is fine now." He finished.

"Fine?" Buffy asked in angry shock. "You think that just because you told the truth that everything is fine?"

"Well," Riley said, "it could be a lot worse."

"But it's not fine, Riley!" Buffy said angrily. "You got Spike arrested, he had to spend a night in jail because of you."

"Look, I know what I did was wrong but I promise that it is all in the past now. I get that you're happy with Spike and I'm going to back off-"

"Damn right you're going to back off!" Buffy yelled. "I don't want you anywhere near me!"

"Buffy-"

"No." She stopped him quickly. "After the first time you and Spike had an issue I told you that we could still be friends, I gave you another chance, and all you did was stab me in the back. You came at me at that party and honestly I was scared to death, I have no idea what would have happened if Spike hadn't showed up, and then you decked him. You punched my boyfriend and got the two of you arrested."

"But Buffy-"

"You've proved to me time and time again that being friends with me is just too difficult for you so just forget it. We are not friends anymore, Riley, and to be honest I don't think we ever were. You don't do the things you've done to a friend."

With that Buffy walked away from the group as they watched her with looks of utter surprise on their faces. The adrenaline that was coursing through her veins led her blindly through the crowd and over to the front door. She walked around the building and to the employee parking lot and wasn't surprised when she saw the security guard restricting access to the area where the buses were parked.

She told the guard her name and he let her in without question. She approached the Passions bus and wasn't surprised to see Spike standing just outside of it smoking a cigarette and talking quietly with Oz and Bob. Oz noticed her first and she saw him say Spike's name as he tilted his head toward her. Spike turned around just in time for her to crash her lips against his.

This is where she belonged.

000000000000

Buffy sat just to the side of the stage as Flesh of the Passions played their set. She could see Amy still sitting over at the bar with Xander and Willow and luckily there was no sign of Riley anywhere. Every now and again Spike would shoot a look her way, give her a little wink or blow her a kiss, and then turn his attention back to the crowd.

They had just finished playing Bastards at the Gate when Spike ran off of the stage and over to her. He was a big sweaty mess but that didn't bother her as he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. "New song coming up," he said quickly, "wrote it about you way back at the beginning."

Buffy smiled. "Can't wait to hear it."

"Kind of an ass in it, luv," he said with a laugh, "prepare yourself."

Buffy cocked her head to the side. "I think I can handle it."

Spike chuckled as he gave her one more quick peck before rushing back out on the stage. He hit the strings to his guitar in a way that made the sound carry for a few seconds. Oz took his cue and instantly began plucking away at his bass as Bob waited for his moment to enter the newly started song.

"Some girls," Spike said between guitar strums, "you can't live with them." Another strum. "Other girls, you'd die without them." He played a couple notes before beginning again. "This is about a girl that makes me want to stand up and shout. Buff, baby, this one's for you. Yeeeeeeaaaaah!"

Gotta leave town,
Got another appointment.
Spent all my rent,
Girl you know I enjoyed it.

Ain't gonna hang around till there's nobody dancing.
I don't wanna hold hands and talk about our little plans, alright!

Cold hard bitch,
Just a kiss on the lips,
And I was on my knees.
I'm waiting, give me,
Cold hard bitch,
She was shakin' her hips,
That was all that I need.

Spike glanced over and noticed Buffy shaking her head, arms crossed over her chest, and the biggest smile on her face. She was taking the song in good humor just like he had intended.

Gonna check her out,
She's my latest attraction.
Gonna hang around,
Wanna get a reaction, yeah!

Gonna take her home cause she's over romancing,
Don't wanna hold hands and talk about our little plans alright!

Cold hard bitch,
Just a kiss on the lips,
And I was on my knees.
I'm waiting, give me,
Cold hard bitch,
She was shakin' her hips,
And I that was all that I need.
I'm waiting, give me,
Cold hard bitch,
Just a kiss on the lips,
And I was on my knees...

There was a quick instrumental break before Spike began to sing again.

Yeah I'm waiting.
Yeah I'm waiting.
Yeah I'm waiting.
Yeah I'm waiting!

Cold hard bitch,
Just a kiss on the lips,
And I was on my knees.
I'm waiting, give me,
Cold hard bitch,
She was shakin' her hips,
And I was all that I need.
I'm waiting, give me,
Cold hard bitch,
Just a kiss on the lips,
And I was on my knees.
I'm waiting give me...

The crowd cheered and Spike was happy to see Buffy clapping her hands along with them. This was going to be his favorite tour, no doubt about it.

000000000000


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews please?
Next chapter starts the tour!