Chapter 8

Buffy kept her hand wrapped around Spike's, never once letting go even as he slipped from consciousness as one of the paramedics checked his vitals. She felt hands on her shoulders and turned quickly to see Xander standing behind her, dried blood smeared from his nose to his cheek, looking down at her with knowing eyes. She moved her free hand to lay atop one of his, silently thanking him for his support.

"I'm sorry but we're going to have to ask you two to step outside." One of the paramedics said, standing slowly from his spot on the floor and moving to one of the black bags.

Buffy instantly shook her head. "No, I can't leave him."

"Buff," Xander said quietly, "we've got to let them do their jobs. You took a pretty good hit in to that wall, you should probably get checked out."

"I promised him I wouldn't leave him, Xander." She said, a fresh wave of tears making it to her eyes.

"Pulse is 43 beats per minute, weak and thready."

"Come on, Buff, do it for me." Xander said. "You know if something is wrong with you and I didn't make you get checked out he's going to kick my ass."

Buffy laughed somewhat at the comment, nodding her head and finally agreeing to be seen. Xander took her hand in his and helped her to her feet, leading her out of the hallway and over to the front door of the bar. When they opened it, a whole new world of chaos met their eyes. Red and blue lights were flashing everywhere and Buffy could see the yellow police tape lining the area. Beyond the tape a crowd was forming, watching everything go down each passing second. Each person who had been inside was busy talking to one police officer or another, obviously getting their statements recorded. Xander put a comforting hand on Buffy's back and lead her to the team of paramedics waiting next to one of the two ambulances.

"Buffy!" Willow called as she and Oz rushed toward her friend, pulling her in to a crushing hug. "Are you okay? Xander made us all leave and wait outside and nobody knew who got hurt in the hallway!"

"I'm fine, Wills." Buffy said, hugging her friend back tightly. She noticed one of the paramedics come over and pull Xander to the back of the ambulance, checking his nose and testing his vision.

As she released her, she saw her brows furrow on confusion. "Where's Spike?"

Buffy looked at Oz, knowing he would be just as concerned as she was. "He was shot." She said.

"Is he going to be okay?" Oz asked.

Buffy shook her head. "I don't know, he passed out when the paramedics got here and then they rushed us out here."

"Miss, would you mind if I took a quick look at you?" One of the female paramedics asked. Buffy nodded as the woman began to feel her head for bumps. "That man over there told me you were thrown in to a wall, is that true?"

Buffy nodded. "Yeah, but I feel fine."

She turned her small penlight on, flashing it quickly in to Buffy's eyes. "Adrenaline could cover any pain or symptoms you might actually be having. I just want to make sure that you don't have a concussion. Do you have any memory loss or have any momentary black outs?"

She shook her head. "No."

"Can you see-"

"Spike!" All attempts at checking Buffy over were thrown out the window as she saw the bar doors open and Spike being pushed out on a stretcher. She ran as fast as her feet could carry her over to the stretcher and practically knocked a paramedic out of the way. He had a white sheet covering his body and an oxygen mask covering his still blood caked face. She could see that he was still unconscious and that scared her to death.

"Is he okay?" She asked in a panic.

"We won't know anything until we get him to the hospital, miss." One of the paramedics said as they pushed him in to the back of the first ambulance as two of the three remaining paramedics jumped in behind him. They closed the doors quickly and the last paramedic ran around to the front of the vehicle, starting it and taking off within seconds.

"Buffy!" Bob's voice called from the road next to her. He had somehow gotten inside Spike's car, crazy doors and all, and was motioning for her to jump in the front seat. Not wanting to mess with getting the door open, she climbed in the passenger side window and positioned herself in the seat, not even noticing Oz and Willow in the back until now. "Fasten your seat belt."

She did as he said and they were off, following the ambulance closely and disregarding the laws of traffic as much as it did. Within minutes they were at the entrance of the emergency room. "You guys go in, I'll go park the car."

Oz fiddled with the door of the back seat, not being able to get it with the normal ease due to the seriousness of the situation they were in. "God damn it, Spike!" He cursed as he finally got the door to open. They rushed inside and practically ran up to the receptionist. "Spike Pratt was just brought in here, where is he?"

"Are you family?" The woman asked calmly.

"I'm his band mate and this is his... girlfriend." Oz said quickly. "Can you please tell us where he is?"

"I'm working on it, sir, you'll just have to give me a few moments." She said leisurely as she typed a ridiculous amount of letters in to her computer. Oz gripped the counter tightly, staring daggers at the woman and wanting nothing more than to jump over the table and find his answers himself. "It seems that Mr. Pratt is being listed as in serious condition."

"No shit, he just got shot!" Oz yelled.

The woman looked completely taken aback. "I'm afraid you'll just have to have a seat and wait until the doctor comes to see you, sir. I have no further information."

"Oh, my God!" Oz yelled, spinning from the counter and stomping over to the group of chairs in the waiting area.

"You can't tell us anything?" Buffy asked the receptionist.

"All I can tell you is what is in the computers and that's all that's in there so far." The receptionist explained.

Buffy nodded and sighed, walking over to join Oz and Willow by the chairs. Neither of them were sitting, but it was definitely in Oz's best interest to walk away from the woman behind the desk. Within minutes Bob had returned from parking the car and only a few moments after that Giles and Anya ran inside. Almost instantly, Anya's cell phone rang and she stepped off to the side to answer it.

"Have they told you anything?" Giles asked as they entered the hospital.

Buffy shook her head. "We're waiting for the doctor to come out and let us know what's going on. Where's Xander?"

"Last I saw they were bringing him here in the second ambulance, something about a concussion." Bob answered, he really did notice things.

Anya clicked her phone shut and quickly made her way back to the group. "The media's already got a hold of this and they're sending people to the hospital." She said.

"How would they know already? It only happened like an hour ago." Willow said.

"It was probably those waitresses from the bar, Carolina and Hope." Anya said.

"Cordelia and Faith." Buffy corrected.

"Regardless, they'll be here any minute." Giles said.

As if on cue, the doctor walked through the double doors that lead to the patient area of the emergency room. "Mr. Pratt?" She asked walking up to their sizable group. She was a pretty brunette girl, skinny with a pair of glasses framing her kind eyes.

"Yes." Giles answered.

The doctor nodded. "I'm Dr. Burkle, I'm in charge of Mr. Pratt's care here. I understand that this is a high profile case, would you like to take this somewhere a little more private?"

"Can we all come?" Bob asked.

"Absolutely, we do have a protocol for this type of thing. If you will all just follow me." She turned and walked through the double doors, holding them open as each member of the party made their way through them. By the commotion that was suddenly coming from the waiting room now behind them, Buffy could tell that they had narrowly avoided the army of paparazzi that they had known was coming their way.

She lead them down a long hallway and through another set of double doors. This waiting room was much like the other one, white cushioned chairs and small couches scattered about with a few tables placed here and there. There was a television in the corner and stacks of magazines on the tables and a couple of vending machines in the corner.

"How is he?" Buffy asked.

"To say that Mr. Pratt's situation isn't serious would be a lie." Dr. Burkle said. "We aren't sure what damage the bullet did or if we'll be able to get it out. He will have to undergo surgery and the cut above his eye will without a doubt need stitches and leave quite a scar. He did regain consciousness momentarily when he got here, but has since lost it again. "

"When can you operate?" Giles asked.

"He's being prepped for surgery as we speak and I will be scrubbing in as soon as I am done consulting with you all." She explained. "Does Mr. Pratt have any allergies to any medications or anesthetic?"

"No," Anya answered having memorized his medical information as a part of her job, "he's perfectly healthy and has no heart conditions. He had one surgery when he was younger on his ankle and has a metal screw in there from it. Anything else? Can you go save his life now?"

Dr. Burkle adjusted her glasses, obviously surprised by Anya's answers. "I will do everything I possibly can for Mr. Pratt. Is there a Buffy here?" She asked.

Buffy glanced around the room for a second before meekly raising her hand. "I'm Buffy." She said.

Dr. Burkle motioned for her to follow her as she lead her back toward the hallway they had walked through. Only when they were alone and the doors were closed did she begin speaking. "When Mr. Pratt regained consciousness, he asked for you." She said quietly. "He was really out of it, but he wanted me to tell you that this was not the surprise."

Buffy stared at her for a moment, not quite sure what she was talking about. When it finally clicked, she laughed, she couldn't help it, she laughed as a fresh set of tears took over her eyes. "He's such an idiot." She said, wiping her eyes quickly.

Dr. Burkle smiled momentarily, but then her face grew serious again. "Have you seen yourself since your ordeal?"

Buffy's brows furrowed as she shook her head. "No." She answered.

Dr. Burkle pulled a small mirror out of her pocket and handed it over to her. Buffy glanced at her reflection in the mirror, she had dried blood spread on her face and in her hair and tear stains were streaking from her bloodshot eyes. She looked over at her arms and saw the bruises already starting to form just where her sleeves cut off. She looked down at her shirt and pants and only now noticed that she was covered in his blood.

"Oh my God." She whispered.

"This may not be my place," Dr. Burkle said, "but when Mr. Pratt gets out of surgery I'm pretty sure you're going to be the first one he wants to see."

"He can't see me like this." Buffy said.

Dr. Burkle nodded. "I agree, in his weakened state it may do more harm than good."

Buffy shook her head. "The paparazzi's everywhere, I'll never get out of here without them seeing me."

Dr. Burkle glanced around, making sure they were truly alone. "I could get in a lot of trouble for this," she whispered, "but I've put a set of clothes in room 243. Why don't you go wash yourself up and change in to some clean clothes?"

"Thank you so much, Dr. Burkle." Buffy said, fighting the urge to hug the woman with all the blood covering her body.

Dr. Burkle smiled. "Call me Fred. I'll let you know the second there's any news."

With that, Buffy rushed to room 243 as Fred walked in the opposite direction, it was a wonderful night to save some lives.

000000000000

The clothes Fred had left for her weren't anything spectacular, in fact they were what they would give any patient upon admittance, but it was better than sitting in the waiting room covered in blood or fighting off the paparazzi. She was wearing a pair of the hospital's dark blue sweat pants and a plain white long sleeved shirt. Her feet were covered with socks, complete with slide-proof technology on the bottoms. Her hair was pulled up in a simple pony tail and she had put just enough concealer on to hide the bruise forming on her cheek. She wasn't quite sure when that had happened, but she still didn't want Spike seeing it.

"Nice outfit." Anya said, not trying to be rude, but to start up a conversation.

"Thank you," Buffy said, "they're designer. You can only get them at University of LA Medical Center."

It had been almost three hours since they had heard anything from Dr. Burkle and everyone was getting a bit restless. Oz and Willow were curled up together on one of the couches watching the TV, Buffy sitting next to them chewing nervously on her fingernails. Giles had been occupying himself with the old magazines scattered around the room and didn't really say much. Bob had nodded off about half an hour ago and was snoring softly in the corner. Anya was sitting across from Buffy, constantly checking her phone for any updates on the media circus covering the situation.

The TV show Oz and Willow were busying themselves with ended and the news started promptly. Everyone knew what was coming up, but none said anything in protest as the anchor woman lead in to a story about their very lives.

"Flesh of the Passions fans are very worried tonight after hearing that singer, Spike Pratt, was shot in an attempted robbery. Sources close to the band have told us that the entire band was present at The Shadow Gallery celebrating a friend's birthday. Spike was reportedly shot while protecting a young girl, Miss Buffy Summers, who he has been seen multiple times out and about with in public. When asked if the two were dating, the source said that they had no comment."

"Well, they did something right." Anya commented.

"Police currently have no leads and The Shadow Gallery will be closed until further notice. Our thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Pratt who is said to be in serious condition at University of LA Medical Center."

Oz changed the channel quickly, not caring about what else was going on the world at the moment. He channel surfed for a while before giving up and settling with an old rerun of South Park. The waiting room doors opened and everyone glanced over to see Xander walk casually in to the room.

"Xander!" Buffy said, jumping up from the couch and walking over to him. The two met in a long, friendly hug and were both glad to see that the other was okay. Buffy stepped back and looked him up and down. "We match." She said.

"We need to stop shopping together." He said.

"What did they say about your head?" Willow asked as the two walked back over to the couch next to her.

"They said they want to keep me overnight for observation, but I wanted to get down here with you guys." He explained.

"So they just let you go?" Buffy asked.

"Not exactly," he said, "I told them that I wasn't leaving the hospital and that technically I would be here overnight. They didn't really know how to handle that so I just walked out."

"So when a bunch of angry night nurses come storming in here, point them in your direction." Oz said. Xander nodded as he took a seat on the couch next to Buffy.

He glanced over at Anya, kind of surprised to see her glancing back. He smiled slightly in hello, a gesture she returned before looking back down at her phone to continue tracking the press coverage. She was a strange bird. Not twelve hours before they had been going at it like rabbits, and now she was as subdued as he'd ever seen her, all work and no play. She was more like a guy than he was.

The double doors opened again and everyone turned to see Dr. Burkle enter the room. Everyone stopped whatever they had been doing, even if their name was Bob and they were sleeping, and turned their complete attention to her.

"How is he?" Oz asked first.

"He's doing great," she said and you could practically feel the tension in the air split, "the bullet hit his rib but otherwise did very little damage. We were able to remove it in one piece and the bone fragments from his rib were easily put back in to place. He lost a lot of blood, but his body responded to what we gave him in the best way possible and I have no doubt that he will make a full recovery."

"Is he awake?" Anya asked.

"He is, the anesthesia wore off very quickly for him. He's incredibly lucky and he's asking for you." She said more so toward Buffy, but directing her comment to everyone.

"Can we see him?" Buffy asked.

"I can take you to his room, but you can only stay for a short time. Hospital policy says that each patient may only have one guest stay overnight with them during their stay." She explained.

Oz nodded. "You should stay," he said to Buffy, "I've dealt with him in the morning before, he's all yours."

Buffy laughed softly as he and Bob shared knowing looks before turning their attention back to Dr. Burkle. "I'd like to keep him here for a few days just to track his progress and make sure there are no signs of infection or other complications." Dr. Burkle said.

"Do whatever you need to do." Giles said calmly.

Dr. Burkle nodded, a sweet smile jumping on to her face. "Everyone ready to see him?"

Buffy nodded, grabbing Oz's hand in hers as they both offered one another moral support. "We're ready."

000000000000

They entered the room quickly and weren't surprised to see Spike's eyes closed as his head rested against the pillows on the bed. Wires were sticking out from under his shirt and there was a small clamp on his pointer finger. The oxygen mask had been taken away, much to Buffy's relief, and there was an IV stuck in his arm. The bruise forming around it from it being done in such a rush could be seen from across the room and she had to stop herself from moving her hand gently over it.

"Hey Spike," Oz said as he approached the bed, "how are you doing?"

Spike slowly turned his head over toward his friend, opening his eyes slowly and focusing in on Oz's form. "Peachy, how 'bout you?" He said groggily. Oz chuckled, finally getting some reassurance that he would be okay. "Where's Buff?"

At the sound of her name, Buffy made her way over to the bed. "I'm here." She said taking her place next to Oz.

The hand not connected to the IV slowly moved across the bed and toward her. She quickly dropped her hand to his and he weakly wrapped his fingers around hers. "Are you alright, luv?" He asked.

She nodded. "I'm fine, Spike." She moved her free hand to his face and gently stroked his cheek. "Everyone's fine."

His eyes fell closed again as he took in the sensation of her hands on his skin as if he had never felt it before. "Xander?" He asked.

"I'm fine, too, man." Xander said from across the room. "I don't want to come over there because I'll just end up pulling things from places they don't need to be pulled and that's just not a good time for anyone."

Spike chuckled, lulling his head to the side.

"I think that's enough for tonight." Dr. Burkle said from the doorway. "The most important thing right now is that he gets his rest."

Slowly but surely everyone agreed and began saying their goodbyes for the night, all promising to be back some time the next day. Buffy walked over to the doorway with Willow, Oz, and Xander as they all said their good nights.

"Where are you going?" Buffy asked Xander.

"Back to my room," he answered, "they said they wanted to keep me so I guess I should stay." He glanced over at Spike's form laying in the bed. "If you need anything..."

Buffy nodded. "Thanks." She hugged her friend quickly before he turned to leave, calling a good night wish over his shoulder to his comrade in arms.

Buffy wasn't quite sure what to do so she pulled the chair across the room and sat it next to Spike's bed. She was terrified of doing anything that would hurt him further and had a feeling that if she went any closer to the bed she would do just that. Armed with nothing but a single pillow and blanket, she reclined the chair and began to set up her makeshift bed. It wouldn't be the most comfortable night she had ever had, but the thought of leaving never crossed her mind.

She glanced over to the man laying in the bed next to her, the sight was absolutely heartbreaking. His face was bruised and his eyebrow was stitched in an almost sideways V shape. They hadn't put a shirt on him after the operation and the blanket fell down just enough to expose the top of the gauze pad that Buffy knew would be wrapped in several layers around his middle.

He looked so fragile.

"Buff?" he called out in a quiet whisper, eyes still closed and head resting against the pillow.

She leaned forward, whispering almost directly in to his ear. "I'm here."

Without a word, he extended his hand in her general direction, a light smile flashing across her face for only a moment as she entwined her fingers with his. He gave her hand a light squeeze before dropping their tangled fingers to the bed, never letting go. They stayed like this the rest of the night, keeping contact even after sleep had finally claimed them both.

000000000000

Buffy awoke early the next morning feeling as if she hadn't slept at all. She had momentarily forgot all of the events that had lead her here, but without any warning the flood gates opened and everything poured back in to her mind. She looked at the man laying on the hospital bed next to her hoping it had all been a bad dream, but the large gash above his eyebrow proved it was all very much real. Despite the obvious battle wound, he looked so peaceful there, innocent almost, with his eyes closed and breathing deeply as the monitors continued to track his heartbeat. It was in that moment, probably one of the most inopportune ones the two had shared, that she made a decision.

She wanted to be with him.

It felt as if her eyes had been truly opened for the first time and she felt like a fool for not realizing it before. When he had accused her of being afraid, she hadn't realized just how right he was until now. The uncertainties were still there, she couldn't know for certain that they would work out in the long run or if they would even stay together once he left to go back on tour, but she wanted to try. The thought of not being with him, to going back to being alone, made her feel almost sick and she knew it was worth it.

"Knock, knock." She heard from the doorway. She looked over and was surprised to see Fred standing there, cup of coffee in hand as she leaned against the door frame. "Can I come in?"

Buffy smiled. "You're the doctor."

Fred made her way inside the small hospital room and over to where Buffy sat on the chair, holding out the cup of coffee to her. "I don't really know how you like it, but I guessed lots of cream and sugar."

Buffy's smile widened as she reached out and took the coffee in to her hands. "Thank you so much." Fred simply smiled as she made her way over to Spike, looking at the group of monitors on the side and writing some notes in his file. "Anything?"

"I'm pretty sure we'll be able to take him off of most of these machines today when he wakes up, he'll need to keep the IV but I don't really see any reason to keep the heart rate monitor or pulse ox on him. He's doing very well," she said turning back to Buffy, "how are you doing?"

Buffy shrugged. "I'm okay."

Fred closed Spike's file and set it back in the clear holder at the end of his bed. "Do you have any pain or discomfort anywhere?"

"Not that wasn't caused by this chair." Buffy answered.

"Should have climbed in here then, pet."

Both Buffy and Fred glanced back over to the bed, surprised by Spike's groggy voice interrupting their conversation. He sat up slowly in the bed, being sure to keep his middle from moving as much as he could. He looked much better than he had during his brief bouts of consciousness the night before, the light was back in his eyes and his voice was much stronger. His gaze was locked on Buffy as she tilted her head to the side and gave him what he had already dubbed her 'mom look'.

"And pull all of your wires out, great plan." She answered.

"I'd live, right Doc?" He asked, switching his focus to Fred.

"It may not have done you any harm," she answered, "but it wouldn't do you any favors, either."

"See." Buffy said quickly.

Fred simply smiled, looking back and forth between the two. She could practically see the chemistry bubbling between them and it warmed her heart. It was very rare in her profession to see women with such good men by their side, in all honesty it was more common for the man to be the reason for the woman being in the hospital. This was definitely a breath of fresh air for her as the two bickered back and forth.

"Well, I ended up here instead of having cake last night and I'm starving. Where's the cafeteria?" Spike asked.

"It is on the first floor of the hospital, but I wouldn't suggest leaving your room." Fred said.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Well, besides the fact that you are currently connected to an IV and heart rate monitor, your situation has gained a lot of media attention and as of right now there are no less than five members of the press faking illnesses to get the inside story." She explained.

"Bloody hell." Spike muttered.

"I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about, Mr. Pratt. We have all of your files under a different name and only I and two of our very best nurses know who you really are. We will also have a security guard stationed at the entrance to the wing throughout your stay here." She said.

"And just how long will that be?" He asked, annoyance obvious in his tone.

"Friday at the latest, but possibly as early as tomorrow morning." Fred answered as her beeper went off. She glanced down at it before turning the sound off and turning her attention back to the couple in front of her. "I'm sorry, I've got to run. I'll be sure to have your breakfast sent in for you, Mr. Pratt, and I'm sure I can arrange something for Miss Summers as well."

Buffy smiled. "Thanks, Fred."

With a short nod, the brunette moved quickly from the room and in to the hall, closing the door behind her. "Fred?" Spike asked.

Buffy turned her attention back to him. "Yeah, that's her first name I guess."

A small smirk appeared on his face. "You're on a first name basis with my doctor?" Buffy didn't say anything, she merely looked at him, an expression he couldn't quite read adorning her face. He cocked his head slightly to the side as his eyes softened, concern drawn in their crystal blue depths. "What is it, luv?"

"It was bad." She said quietly, he could see tears begin to well up in her eyes, but she quickly choked them back.

"Come on now," he said in a light tone, "it's gonna take much more than a bullet to do me in."

"You don't understand, Spike," she said shaking her head, "we almost lost you, I almost lost you."

He stared in to her eyes, trying to find some type of clue as to what to do next. He moved himself over in the bed, making room for her before pulling back the blanket and tilting his head to the side, beckoning her over. "Come here." He whispered.

"Spike, I-"

"Just come here."

Buffy moved slowly from the chair to his bed, slipping in to it carefully and avoiding every single wire or tube coming from his body. When she was completely on the bed, Spike covered her with the blanket and pulled her close to him. When her head hit his chest and his arms wrapped around her small body, it was her undoing. He could feel her tears soak in to the thin shirt he was wearing and it made him hold her even closer.

"Shh, I'm here, baby." He whispered in to her hair, kissing her head softly. "No need for tears."

"I was so scared." She whispered.

"I know," he said, "but I'm okay now. You heard the lady doc, I'll make a full recovery."

"It doesn't matter," Buffy said, "I'm done wasting time."

Spike pulled back slightly, putting a finger under her chin and raising her face with his hand. "What do you mean?" He asked.

Buffy took a deep breath, wiping the tears from her eyes before running a quick hand through her hair, removing the stray strands from her face. "This is really difficult for me to say, so don't interrupt. I just need you to listen and to hear me out."

Spike's brows furrowed, a little nervous about what her little announcement may be. "I'm listening."

"When we first met," she started, "I thought you were just some idiot rock star who was just like everyone else. I didn't like you very much, you were rude and made me feel uncomfortable within the first minute I spent with you."

Yeah, this wasn't making him feel better at all.

"But then things started to change. You stood up for me, something no one else has ever really done, and I didn't really know what to think about that. I've had my freak outs with you, but you've stood by me throughout them all and have showed me one thing time and time again. You aren't like everyone else," she said, "you're one of a kind."

She paused for a moment, seemingly at a loss for words. "What are you saying, Buff?" He asked.

"I'm saying that I want to try this out." She said quickly. "I know I've been awful and insecure, and I know you're leaving soon, but I can't let you leave on that tour without giving us a chance."

An almost unbelieving look appeared in his eyes and a crooked smile lifted his lips, shaking his head as he gazed at her. He couldn't believe what he was hearing, what she was finally saying. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

She nodded slightly, smile beginning to show on her lips as well. "I am." She said.

Without a warning, Spike crashed his lips in to hers, using his IV-less arm to pull her as close to him as possible. She wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him back with just as much passion as he was giving her. He pulled back slightly, eyes still closed as he rested his forehead against hers.

"When I get out of here," he said quietly, "I'm taking you out on a date."

She let out a small laugh. "I can't wait."

"Believe me, baby," he said as his cocky grin graced his face, "it'll be a night you'll never forget."

000000000000

The day had gone by moderately quickly. Buffy and Spike had spent their entire day watching television as they cuddled in bed together. It wasn't long after breakfast that Dr. Burkle came in and removed the heart rate monitor and pulse ox from his body, much to the relief of everyone in the room. Xander had stopped by before being discharged from the hospital, but soon left to go home and get some real sleep. It was now nearing five o'clock and the dinner trays had just been brought in to the room by one of the nurses that Fred had trusted. They were nothing spectacular, a simple meal of chicken, mashed potatoes, and some corn, but they made the best of it.

"I'm telling you," Spike said as he shoved another piece of his chicken in to his mouth, "riding in the elevator with Gary Busey was more terrifying than getting shot."

"A gun can kill you." Buffy said, taking a bite of her mashed potatoes.

"So can Gary Busey." He retorted.

"Oh, the Gary Busey elevator story?" Oz said as he and Willow walked in to the room. "It's a classic."

"Hey guys." Buffy greeted, standing up from where she sat cross legged on the bed across from Spike. She walked over to Willow, enveloping her in a hug.

"I brought you some clothes and makeup and stuff." Willow said, handing her a small duffel bag that she had packed for her.

"Thanks, Wills." Buffy said, grabbing the bag and throwing it over her arm.

"Anya and Giles are busy taking care of the paparazzi parade but they told me to tell you they were thinking about you." Oz said to Spike.

"I'm all for anything that keeps those sodding pillocks away from me." Spike said, taking another bite of his food.

Buffy turned and looked back to Spike. "I'm going to go take a shower and change out of these clothes."

Spike nodded. "Take your time, luv." He said. Willow and Oz watched as Buffy walked back over to the bed, giving Spike a quick kiss before walking in to the bathroom. Spike glanced over at the two redheads who were staring at him in shock. "What?"

"What the hell was that?" Oz asked.

Spike smiled, glancing at Willow and seeing her eyes light up with realization. "Oh, my God!" Willow said excitedly. "You guys are together now aren't you?"

Spike chuckled. "She told me she wanted to give us a shot."

"I'm pretty sure you've already got one." Oz said, glancing down at Spike's abdomen.

Spike shook his head and turned his attention back to Willow. "I need your help, Red." He said.

"With what?" She asked.

"When I get out of here, I want to take her out on the best date of her life, something that'll make her smile every time she thinks about it." He explained.

Willow smiled, he came to the right girl.

000000000000

"Glitter, love it or hate it?" Buffy asked as the next question in their rousing game of Love It or Hate It. She was sitting between Spike's legs on the bed, one arm resting on his bent knee as Willow sat on Oz's lap in the chair from hell.

"That's an awful one." Spike said.

"Why?" Buffy asked, looking beside her at the head resting on her shoulder.

"If used the right way it can be sexy as hell and that's when I love it," he said, "but I hate how if you come within a ten foot radius of it, it will stick with you for the rest of your bloody life."

"And there's the beauty of the game," Willow said, "you can't say you kind of like it, it's either love it or hate it."

Spike thought for a moment, not sure if the good outweighed the bad or not. "Answer the question, Spikey." Oz said.

Everyone waited, looking at him with expectant eyes. He took a few more seconds to consider, this game had become a lot more serious than it had originally been. Every question was mused over with as much thought as Buffy and Willow used in their Philosophy class.

"Love." He finally answered.

"What?"

"Are you serious?"

"Those things never get off of your skin."

Everyone said at once, practically yelling in disagreement with him. "Hey, hey, hey, it's my answer and I'm sticking with it!" He yelled.

"Is everything okay in here?" Dr. Burkle said as she walked in to the room.

"Dr. Burkle!" Oz yelled.

"Love!" The entire group answered at once.

Dr. Burkle looked around the room, not quite sure what was going on or why her name was just called out. "It's a game," Buffy explained, "one of us say something and the rest have to say that we either love it or hate it. There's no 'I kind of like it' or anything like that. Willow and I have been playing it for years."

Dr. Burkle smiled, walking over to Spike's IV and adjusting the speed. "I'm just going to slow this down a little bit, the dehydration caused by the surgery has improved significantly." She explained.

"When can the IV be taken out?" Buffy asked.

"We'll want to keep it in until he is discharged, just as a precaution." She explained.

"When do you think that will be?" Spike asked.

"As long as everything stays normal and no signs of complications arise, I'd say tomorrow morning." She answered.

"Hey, that's great!" Willow said.

Buffy looked back at Spike and smiled, a gesture he returned. "Thank God," he said, "one more day stuck in this bed and I'd go mad."

"That train has left the station." Oz said quietly.

Dr. Burkle smiled, turning back to the group from the IV and putting a hand on Spike's shoulder. "I'll see you in the morning, Mr. Pratt." She said before walking out of the room.

Willow sighed. "We should probably get going." She said standing up.

"Yeah," Oz said following her lead, "it's getting late."

Buffy looked over at the clock, it was already nearing eleven. She stood up and walked over to her friends, giving them each a hug as they got ready to leave. "Thanks for stopping by."

"We'll be back in the morning." Oz said.

"Unless you need us before then, if you do just call." Willow said quickly.

Buffy smiled. "Thanks guys, we'll see you in the morning."

"Later, Spike!" Oz called as Willow waved from the door. Spike gave them a short wave and then they were on their way, closing the door behind them. Buffy moved over to the cabinets, grabbing a new pillow and blanket before making her way back over to the chair. She unfolded the blanket and threw it over the chair before putting the pillow on the headrest.

"And just what do you think you're doing?" Spike asked, cocking his head to the side and folding his arms over his chest.

"Setting up the chair." She answered.

"No," he said shaking his head, "you're not sleeping on that thing. Get in here."

Buffy glanced from him to the bed and back again, it would be much more comfortable than the chair. "Are you sure?" She asked.

"Wouldn't be offering if I wasn't." He said patting the space next to him. "I'll be a perfect gentleman, Buff, I can promise you that, but if you don't get in this bed right now I will get up and carry you over here myself."

Buffy laughed. "No you won't."

"Oh yeah?" He asked. "Call my bluff."

Instead of arguing over something that they both wanted, Buffy made her way back over to the bed, sliding in beside him. She laid down facing away from him, not being able to contain her smile when his arm snaked around waist and pulled her close. Her body molded against his, fitting him perfectly as she laced her fingers with his. He kissed the back of her neck softly as he whispered a goodnight. This was perfection.

000000000000

Thoughts? Reviews are wonderful! :)