Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the slight delay, guys. BUT, I think you might like this chapter. ;)

Beta'd by the lovely All4Spike.
Chapter 40

It was long after midnight by the time they passed the Cleveland sign, Buffy’s head lolling occasionally as she struggled to stay awake. Bloody adorable.

“Are we there yet?” She picked a stray piece of lint off his jean clad thigh, her touch lingering enough to make him want to shift in his seat.

“Almost. About five more minutes.”

“Are we going to your friends’ house?”

“They’re not my…” He bit down on his bottom lip and inhaled, the instinctive rebuttal lacking his usual insistence. “No, not right now. Don’t want to startle them this late in the evening. They’re not exactly nocturnal. They’re more of… ah… morning people.”

God, the warmth radiating off her hand was practically scorching his skin even through the fabric. He was glad she was too distracted by their conversation to glance down and notice the way she was affecting him.

“Yikes,” she commented.

“You can say that again once Joyce wakes you up at bleeding seven o’clock, cheerful as you please. Best way to start off your day with a headache.”

She shifted closer, placing her head on his shoulder and -- someone up there have mercy on him – kneading the tense muscle of his inner thigh. “Is she Rupert’s daughter?”

“Wife. They do have a daughter… Dawn. She won’ be here though. She studies in Europe. Some kind of smart arse mumbo jumbo. Takes after her Da’, in that regard.”

“Oh. Have you two ever… you know.”

Just the idea of it made him laugh out loud. “God, no. The bint would drive me half mad in no time. She’s like an annoying little kid sister.” And with that, the smile died on his lips.

Buffy must have noticed his mood hurtling rapidly south because she shifted her arm to wrap it around his waist instead, in a supportive sort of gesture. He had to wonder whether he was so transparent or whether she was the only one who could read him like an open book. The idea of it left him feeling slightly uncomfortable.

He parked in front of a 24-hour place to pick up some food, ignoring Buffy’s protests about letting her chip in. She followed him out of the car and he was momentarily blindsided when she bent over to stretch her legs. His hands itched to cup that curvy bum and just… squeeze.

“Spike?”

Oh. Right. She was facing him now, and he should probably stop gawking at her tits like a complete wanker. “Yeah, going. I’m already… gone.” He licked his lips, forced himself to enter the diner.

An overweight hairy bloke chewing gum turned his attention to him with a bored sigh.

Marvellous. That took care of his overzealous libido right quick.

It wasn’t until he’d paid and exited the diner that the feeling of foreboding sank into his gut.

“Buffy?” His heart rate tripled when he couldn’t spot her anywhere. He tried to tell himself she was probably hidden behind the car, working out those kinks from sitting for hours or trying to scare him on purpose.

Only she wasn’t there, and now he was calling her name, hovering on the edge of full-blown panic attack as he tossed the food into the car and frantically scanned the darkened parking lot.

“If you’re peeing in the bushes somewhere, I’m going to strangle you,” he muttered, his skin freezing cold despite the balmy air.

Then he heard it, muffled, barely audible. The sound of a scuffle somewhere in the distance. He ran in the direction of a small park, his feet pounding against the pavement as he jumped right over a thick bush on the edge of a parking lot, drawing a knife from his boot once he dropped into a crouch.

“Buffy!”

“Spike!” She was gasping, eyes wide as she came racing out of the trees. “We have company.”

A mass of shadows materialised behind her. It would have tackled her if she hadn’t been quick enough to drop to the ground and use the monster’s own momentum to fling it away and towards him.

“Do you have a weapon?” she called, springing back to her feet.

He lifted the hand holding the knife, grinning now that he knew she wasn’t lying dead in a ditch somewhere.

The demon got to its clawed feet with a screeching howl and they both ran towards it. It was a blur. Violent, bloody poetry in motion as they anticipated each other’s moves, turned it into a game of who could get in more punches, tossing the knife to and fro between them when needed. He’d never had more fun fighting than he was having right now. Never been more turned on as he watched her, deadly and agile.

The demon was weakening, emitting high-pitched noises as it desperately lashed out at them both, turning in a circle in a pointless effort to fend off their attack.

“Spike, the knife!”

Looked as though they were done playing.

He tossed Buffy the weapon, handle-up, and she swiped it out of the air, buried it in the demon’s chest with a swift twist of her hand just as it was about to jump on her. Gurgling, it fell at their feet.

Spike couldn’t care less. All of his attention was solely on the vision of Buffy covered in dirt, chest heaving, skin flushed, and it had all his remaining blood rush south. She was magnificent.

“Eww. I liked these jeans.” She stared down at the black sludge sprayed over her legs, her voice breathless and low. “If you weren’t dead, I would make you pay for this,” she muttered, scowling at the corpse.

Hotter words were never uttered.

Following his instincts, he crossed the distance, grabbed her –dirty and all-- and yanked her towards him for a hungry kiss. She yelped, startled and tense before melting into his embrace.

They blindly stumbled until her back was against the tree trunk. Both of her hands were clutching at his lapels and he vaguely thought that she must have dropped the knife.

“That was bloody stupid,” he rasped against her throat, tasting her skin, fingertips skimming her ribcage. “Disappearing like that.”

“Heard a scream… there was a… umm yeah… a girl. Had to help her.”

Buffy’s head lolled to the side, giving him access that he took full advantage of in order to suckle her flesh. “Without a weapon too… Should have waited for me.”

“I will next time, promise.” One leg wrapped around the back of his thigh, urging him closer, hips rolling against his.

“No, you won’t. Stubborn bint.” He slid his hand beneath her top, welcomed the heat of her skin, grazed one hard nipple with his thumb.

“I did good though…” He pinched her nipple then, listening to her rapid breathing, loving the throb of her heartbeat under his palm. “Did you see it… the way I—”

“Mmhmm… Fucking hot.” A button popped open, zipper rasped down and then his hand was sliding inside, touching her, slick and swollen. His gaze locked on her face. On those eyes half-lidded in pleasure as a breath caught in her throat, then a beat later shuddered past her lips in a drawn out exhale.

“It feels…”

“Yeah?” One finger teased its way inside, stoking the fire, making her back arch like a taut bow. “Fuck, so tight.” Just the thought of being inside her had him biting his lip, provoking a full body shiver.

“Good. Very. More.”

He would have teased her about the monosyllabic response if he could form a sentence himself. Words were overrated anyway. What mattered was every shudder that wracked her frame, the way she dropped her forehead against his shoulder when he added a second finger to stretch her until she was gasping and writhing against his hand.

She was kissing his neck, teasing that spot that had him rolling his eyes back in pleasure, had him rubbing her clit until she was mewling into his skin, desperate.

“Spike… I’m going to…”

“Do it. Want to feel you drench my hand.”

She tensed, fingers digging into his shoulders, her lips parted in a silent scream. Then he felt it, a violent spasm that trapped his fingers inside her so tightly he could hardly move them. He kissed her, drawing out the bliss of her release, not stopping until she was slumping against him, trembling with the aftershocks.

They stood there, locked in each other’s arms as though the outside world didn’t exist.

“Uhh… that was… amazing.”

He pulled his hand out of her pants, smirking when she moaned at the renewed friction. “Not done with me yet?”

A kiss she gave him was better than any words she could have said. A slow, drugging kiss that left him weak in the knees, not to mention blue in the balls.

When they finally parted, she glanced down at his hand, blushing. “I have tissues in my bag.”

“For what?” he asked with his head tilted to the side then drew the fingers into his mouth one by one, licking her essence off with a groan. “Mmm… Sweeter than I expected.”

Her cheeks were flaming though she never tore her gaze off his puckered lips, even as she adjusted her clothes back into their proper places.

“Do you… I mean, are you…” She frowned slightly. “What about you?”

“Don’t you worry about me.” The last thing he wanted was for her to feel pressured. As if she owed him something.

“But—”

He leaned in, his nose rubbing against hers. “I mean it. We have all the time in the world,” he said, hoping it was true.

*******

Though she didn’t touch him all the way to their hotel, the thickening tension in the car almost tempted him to floor the gas pedal. And those glances. It was all he could do to ignore the unintentional challenge in her eyes; to ignore the desire; to just say to hell with it all and stop the car right there on the side of the road to give her a proper seeing to. She deserved more than that. More than him, though he was too selfish to care.

Once they stepped over the threshold of their room, something changed. Suddenly it felt all too real and for the first time in a long time he felt almost… unsure. A part of him wanted to pull her close and ravage her and the other part of him felt the weight of the moment and that scared him.

Bloody hell.

He raked his fingers through his hair, sure it must have been a curly mess by now as they traded shy glances.

“I’m going to take a shower. I’ll be back in a few.”

He almost asked if he could join her but bit down on his tongue and nodded instead.

When she came out dressed only in a fluffy white towel, he swallowed and forced himself to enter the steamy bathroom without yanking her inside with him.

What happened after he got squeaky clean he wouldn’t have expected. Dreamt about? Hell yes. Expected? No.

There was no other way to describe it. She stalked him. He didn’t realise he’d been moving until the back of his knees hit the mattress. She pushed him down.

“Buffy, what—” The rest of the sentence was quieted by her lips. She caressed his face and shoulders before sinking down to straddle his lap. Oh, she acted as if she had years of experience under her belt, seduced him speechless, but he could still feel her tremble under his fingertips.

“Buffy, wait.”

A frown pulled at her brows, her hands stilling on his chest. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Nothing’s wrong. It’s just… are we…?” Great, now he couldn’t even say the words out loud. What had she done to him? “How far do you want to take this?”

“All the way.” She lifted her chin and stared him dead in the eye.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.” She smiled then, a bit shakily but never hesitating. Still he felt the urge to make sure she felt safe with him.

“If you change your mind, tell me, yeah? Any time. Don’t feel like you have to…”

“I want you, Spike.” She trailed kisses down the side of his neck. “Do you want this?”

Of course he did. Yet, he felt nervous. As though he was the inexperienced one. And in a way, he was. The only time he’d ever felt anything deep for a girl he had sex with was the first time with Dru. And that was an experience he wasn’t all that fond of remembering.

Instead of answering, he pulled Buffy into a slow kiss. No need to rush. Not this. Not with her.

Holding her to him, he lay back, getting lost in the taste of her kiss.

TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Oh, you know what's coming next. *smirks*