Chapter 16

Buffy gazed at herself in the mirror, feeling beautiful for the first real time in her life. She was wearing an elegant, pink dress that hugged her curves perfectly. Her hair was down in soft waves, light make up adorning her features. She just wished more than anything that Spike was there to enjoy this with her.

“Honey, Willow’s here!”

Buffy took in a deep breath before making her way downstairs, stopping when she saw that Willow wasn’t alone.

“Hey, change of plans,” the red head revealed, pulling Buffy away to talk in private. “Xander kind of asked me last minute, and I was completely stunned that I had to say yes. Not that I could have told him no, anyway. I know he probably only did it because he didn’t have anyone else to ask, but I’ll take what I can get.”

“It’s fine, Will, I know how much you like him. I might not understand it, but if you want to ditch me as your date, I will just have to manage on my own.”

Willow smiled, pushing her back over to the doorway. “Actually, I kind of found another date for you.”

Before Buffy could protest, she saw him standing outside by the limo. He always looked good, but there was just something about him in a tux that she found incredibly sexy. With that thought in mind, she ran to him, throwing her arms around his neck and planting a firm kiss on his lips, pulling away when breathing became an issue. “I can’t believe you’re here.”

Spike tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, pecking her nose. “I wasn’t about to let you go to your Prom alone. We finished early, and I came as soon as I could. I went to Red first to keep my return a surprise for you. Did it work?”

She nodded. “I would say so.”

After Joyce snapped what felt like a million pictures of everyone, they got in the limo and took off for the dance.


* * * * *


“Have I told you how gorgeous you look tonight?”

Buffy blushed, moving with him slowly to the music that was playing. “A few times, but I don’t mind hearing it again.”

Spike leaned closer to her ear, brushing her hair aside. “You are by far the most stunning woman in this room.”

She rested her head against his shoulder, being in his arms was the most natural feeling in the world. “I’ve decided to go to UC Sunnydale; I guess I’m not ready to leave this place yet. My dad wasn’t happy when he found out we wouldn’t be moving back to LA with him, but I realized that’s not where I belong anymore.”

Spike gave that some consideration. “It’s a good thing I bought an apartment close to the college, then. In fact, I’ll be enrolled there as well. If you didn’t want to live in the dorms, my place is always available. I have plenty of space, just a suggestion.”

Her eyes widened. “You already bought a place? How did you even know I planned on going there?”

He shrugged. “I have my sources.”

Buffy had a feeling he was referring to her mother, but went back to the second part. “You really want to live together? Doesn’t it feel too soon?”

Spike shook his head, leading her off the dance floor when a fast song began. “We’ve been apart for five years, Buffy, and these last months without you have nearly killed me. It’s hardly too soon; I would move you in next week if I could. I already discussed this with your mum; she agreed that it would be entirely your decision.”

“My mom is actually okay with this?”

“I’m not saying that, but you’re almost eighteen. She knows you’re not a child anymore, and this way she won’t have to pay for you to live on campus,” he admitted.

Buffy nodded, taking in a deep breath. “But what if we end up driving each other crazy? I’m not exactly an easy person to live with, and what about all the attention you’re bound to cause? I don’t want people stalking the house at all hours of the night.”

He laughed. “This is Sunnydale, love; I doubt you have to worry about that. I’ve hardly had any problems since I’ve been here. I can walk through the streets without worrying about getting attacked all the bloody time; you don’t know how refreshing that is. Besides everyone at your school, I’ve probably only had a few people ask me for an autograph, or to take a picture with them. The movie doesn’t come out for another six months, all I have to do is some press and attend the Hollywood premiere. After that, I’m all yours. Things might get hectic every now and then, but I think the outcome would be more than worth it.”

“Can I at least have some time to think about this before I make any big decisions? It’s just a lot to process right now.”

Spike nodded, kissing the palm of her hand. “Take all the time you need, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Excuse me? I don’t mean to interrupt, but can I get your autograph? I was absent the day you gave them out at school.”

He smiled at the young girl, taking the pen and paper she offered to him. “Of course, pet, who should I make this out to?”

“Dawn,” the girl replied, a blush tinting her cheeks.

“That’s a very beautiful name,” Spike stated, signing the paper and handing it back to her.

She took it with a smile, and with a quiet “thank you,” headed over to her friends.

Buffy let out a sigh. “And so it begins,” she commented, only somewhat teasingly.

“Like I said, it happens a few times. I’m not going to turn anyone away.”

“I know that, and I wouldn’t want you to. I know how much you love your fans; they’re always going to be a very big part of your life. I just don’t think you realize how hard it’s gonna be to leave that part behind. Going to college, having a normal life, that’s not who you are anymore. I know you’ve said it won’t happen, but I’m still scared that you’ll end up regretting that choice. You’ll realize it’s not enough for you, or that I’m not enough and you’ll want more,” Buffy explained.

Spike shook his head. “We’ve been over this before; it’s never going to happen. I told you that I wasn’t always happy with this life, that I felt a part of me was missing. There won’t be any regrets, love. Yes, there will be plenty that I’ll miss, but I think I’m getting the better end of the deal. Now, enough about this, you’re not changing my mind. You haven’t told me what you wanted for your birthday yet.”

Buffy smiled, wiping her eyes of the tears that she didn’t even realize was there. “Surprise me.”