Chapter 17

“If I catch you checking out my tits again, I’ll fucking castrate you!”

Spike’s eyes widened when he entered the high school, seeing a small brunette with her hand around a jock’s throat was definitely not something he expected.

Once she let him go, he couldn’t get away from her fast enough, throwing a “crazy bitch!” behind him.

Spike didn’t know what to say, but he couldn’t help being impressed by her, that was until she turned seething eyes on him.

“You like the show, famous boy? I don’t care who the fuck you are, but I hate being stared at like I’m some kind of circus freak. If you ever hope to make another movie again, you better take a hike.”

He held his hands up in surrender. “Sorry, that’s definitely not the case here. I was just admiring how you handled that bloke, it was bloody impressive.”

She relaxed a bit at that. “Whatever, he’s just a moron. Guys like that are all talk, no action. He’ll be too embarrassed to tell the principal on me, good thing since I can’t afford another suspension so close to finally getting out of this hellhole. I should probably make an appearance in my next class, nice chatting with you. By the way, your last flick kinda sucked,” she told him before taking off down the hall.

Spike smiled after her departure, it wasn’t very often that some chit talked back to him like that. For some reason, he wanted to find out more about her and knew just who to ask.


* * * * *


“You’re asking me about some other girl? Sweetie, know your audience, that’s not something you should be talking to me about.”

He rolled his eyes. “It’s not like I want to date her, you should know by now that you’re the only girl for me. I’m just intrigued; the bint nearly scared the piss out of some bloke who doubles her in size. Not saying you probably couldn’t have done the same, but that’s not something I’m usually fortunate enough to witness. I was just curious.”

Buffy nodded. “You’re probably referring to Faith Lehane; she’s one of the toughest girls in school. Anyone smart enough knows not to mess with her, guess he didn’t get the memo. She’s only been here for about seven months, a transfer from Boston. I heard she burned the gym down at her last school, and Sunnydale was the only place that would accept her. As far as I know, I don’t think she really has any friends.”

“And there’s a reason for that,” Xander chimed in. “The chick is psychotic. She’s seriously hot, don’t get me wrong, but no guy would ever even think of asking her out unless they wanted to experience bodily harm. Some dude grabbed her ass once, and ended up with a broken hand for his troubles. If you wanna keep that pretty face of yours, you’d be better off staying away from her.”

“Think I’m pretty, do you? I always knew you wanted me, Harris.”

Buffy swatted his arm playfully, while Xander choked on his soda at the implication.

“I didn’t mean it like that,” he claimed. “I just mean since you’re an actor, you guys usually like to stay pretty. Not that it really matters, what with you quitting and all. So, yeah, go ahead, I dare you to talk to her again. Let’s see if the psycho goes easy on you.”

“Stop calling her that.”

They all turned in shock at Tara’s voice; she wasn’t normally one to join in, unless she really had something important to say.

Tara’s cheeks heated up under their stares, grabbing her books as she stood. “You…You don’t even know her. You shouldn’t call her names like that.” She hurried out of the cafeteria, not looking back once.

Willow watched her friend in concern, wondering what could have caused such a reaction from the usually quiet girl. She smacked her somewhat boyfriend across the head, sending him a glare. “That wasn’t nice.”

“Ow, what the hell was that for? Since when do you care what I say about Faith?”

“I don’t, but it obviously bothers Tara. She’s right; we don’t know Faith well enough to talk bad about her. That just makes us as horrible as Cordelia,” Willow stated with a shudder.

Buffy gave Spike’s hand a squeeze, pecking him on the cheek. “I’ll go check on her.” She left the cafeteria, heading outside when she couldn’t find Tara by her locker. She finally spotted her at the back of the building, where it was pretty much deserted, but she wasn’t alone. She was talking with Faith; both looked to be very close, which was confirmed even more when they met in a passionate kiss. Buffy’s eyes widened, that would certainly explain a lot.

Faith pulled away when she noticed they had an audience, scowling at the blonde. “This place sure is fucking nosy.”

Tara turned to see Buffy standing there, a blush tinting her cheeks.

“I didn’t mean to intrude, just wanted to see if you were okay,” she said to her friend.

“I’m fine,” Tara replied. “I didn’t mean to be so rude earlier.”

“Hey, it was completely justified. Xander shouldn’t have said what he did, but you could have told us the truth. Did you think we wouldn’t have understood?”

She shrugged. “I knew what everyone thought of her. I wasn’t sure how to tell you.”

Faith tightened her embrace on Tara, looking slightly ashamed for a moment. “It’s mostly my fault; I didn’t want her to say anything. I’m not exactly out yet, not that anyone would probably be shocked at this point. It should be no real secret that I can’t fucking stand men, especially not these loser high school boys. You’re Buffy, right, the one dating that actor guy? Yeah, Tara’s told me all about you, how you got her that role and totally stuck it to the head cheerleader. You got major points in my book for that, B. I would have told the bitch where to shove it myself, but I was too busy being suspended at the time. I’m lucky enough to even be graduating with everyone else, but I can’t wait to get out of here. She’s the only one that’s been keeping me sane these last few months.”

Buffy smiled at the couple, now understanding more about why Tara wasn’t around as often. “I won’t say anything if you don’t want me to, but you should know that we’ll all be supportive. We’re your friends, and all we care about is your happiness. Xander may have foot in mouth disease a lot of the time, but he means well.”

The bell rang to signal that lunch was over, which meant the halls would be full of students.

Faith grabbed Tara’s hand. “Fuck it,” she said, pulling her girlfriend back inside the school, and planting a firm kiss on her mouth for all to see.

Buffy smiled at the display, noticing the stunned faces around them, but really couldn’t care less. Before she knew it, Spike wrapped his arms around her from behind.

“Well, now that makes perfect sense.”

She couldn’t agree more.


Chapter End Notes:
Only one more chapter left, and I couldn't be more relieved. The lack of interest is really making me not want to bother anymore.