Chapter 2

“I know I say this a lot, but it’s so awesome that you live only a block from the school. I like coming to your house for lunch, it beats always sitting in the smelly cafeteria.”

Buffy smiled at her friend. “Glad I could help with that, and I would like to avoid the crazy mob of students trying to audition for a role they really have no chance of getting.”

Willow agreed. “True, I’m hoping to just catch a glimpse of Spike. I’m dying to see what he looks like in person.”

Buffy rolled her eyes as they headed upstairs to her room, hoping to get some studying done before returning to school.

“Is your mom in LA again?” the red head wondered.

“Yeah, for business, what else is new? I’m not about to complain because at least when she’s not here, I don’t have to deal with Ted,” Buffy commented with distaste.

Willow nodded in understanding, knowing how much Buffy didn’t like her mom’s boyfriend and wanting to be a supportive friend. “He seems like an okay guy, but I think he’s trying too hard to get people to like him. When he made those cookies for the bake sale, everyone was fawning over them for weeks. What the hell is his secret? I didn’t think they were that good.”

Buffy shrugged, deciding to change the subject. “Oh, I have something to show you.” She got up to retrieve a picture from her dresser, handing it to Willow. “Since you seemed so interested in my bracelet, this is the friend who made it. Unfortunately, it’s the only picture I have of us.”

She smiled at the chubby, dark haired girl staring at her in the frame, her front tooth missing. Next to her was a skinny boy, with a mop of brown curls and glasses. “You were so cute, but you looked a lot different back then. What was his name?”

“William Pratt,” Buffy responded, gazing nostalgically at the photo. “This was taken a few months before he left. He’s from England, but moved to Los Angeles when he was about eight-years-old, that’s when we met. He was the awkward, shy, new kid, and I offered to sit with him. He was two years older than me, but we ended up in the same class. I think he was held back for some reason. He only knows me as Elizabeth, but I’ve always hated that name. As I got older, Buffy just stuck. Anyway, we were inseparable for six years, but his dad ended up getting relocated back to England and they moved away. I cried in my room for days after that, but my mom was all about how I’m young and would make a ton of new friends. Then she moved us here, and I was known as a social outcast. Honestly, Will, I don’t know what I would have done if you never came over to me. I wouldn’t have any friends in that school if it wasn’t for you.”

Willow put her arm around the blonde. “Hey, you were the same for me. I didn’t have a lot of friends before you came along; it was just me and Xander. You never know, maybe you’ll see William again. He’s probably still living in England, right?”

She shrugged. “I have no idea, but a lot can change in five years. Even if he did, he probably won’t be the same guy I knew. It’s best to just keep the memories I have of him, and now I’ve found my friendship bracelet. That’s all I really need.”


* * * * *


“God, this is a cruel punishment. I haven’t found a decent actress yet.”

Angel grinned, slapping him on the back. “How about that Cordelia chick? Yeah, she’s awful, but from what I hear, she’s the most popular girl in this school. Her dad is pretty rich; we could use her for this movie. Come on, man, she’s hot.”

He cringed. “For crying out loud, can you possibly not pick up a high school girl while we’re here? You’re thirty-two, Angel, it’s very disturbing.”

The brunet shrugged. “As long as she’s eighteen, I don’t see the harm in it.”

“I don’t care who the fuck she is, or that your perverted self has the hots for her. That chit may possibly be the worst actor I’ve ever seen, and I’ve worked with a lot of them. There’s no way I could do a love scene with her and actually make it believable, we’ll just have to keep looking. I’m taking a break; we’ll start again in half an hour.” Spike headed out of the auditorium before Angel could protest, needing some fresh air. He wasn’t paying attention and collided with another body, causing her to fall down. “Sorry about that, love, I didn’t see you.”

Buffy glared at him, brushing the hair out of her face. “Yeah, that’s pretty obvious.”

Spike was taken aback, helping her to stand up. She was blonde, petite, and one of the most beautiful girls he’d ever seen. There was something very familiar about her, but he couldn’t place it. “You okay?”

She nodded. “Dandy, just watch where you’re going next time.”

He was stunned as she walked away; no one had ever spoken to him like that before, at least not since he became famous. Spike was used to girls being flirty and stuttering in his presence, this one was definitely different, and he couldn’t help but feel a bit intrigued by her.


* * * * *


Spike saw the gorgeous blonde talking with a cute red head in the halls, waiting until she was alone before he approached her. Hopefully his disguise of a cap and sunglasses would be enough that he didn’t have to risk getting mobbed by the rest of the student body. He followed her outside, keeping at a distance as to not startle her.

“You know, stalking is illegal.”

He stopped, cursing himself for not being stealthier. “Not stalking, I was just curious.”

Buffy gave him a look. “Curious about what?”

Spike rubbed the back of his neck, which was somewhat of a nervous habit. “Just wondering why you haven’t tried out for the movie, is all. We’re still doing auditions after school, if you’re interested to stop by.”

“No thanks, I’m not an actor. You have so many people to choose from as it is. I hear Cordelia is a popular choice with your manager. She gets all the lead roles in our plays, and pretty much has already decided this part will be hers.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m going to kill that ponce. Whether she’s popular or not, the girl can’t act for shit. I’m not putting her in my movie. I need someone more down to earth, sweet natured, someone who doesn’t think they’re a diva and that we should all worship the ground she walks on.”

Buffy smiled at that. “It’s good to see that you weren’t taken in by her feminine wiles, but I know just the person for you. Her name is Tara Maclay; she’s exactly what you described. I doubt she auditioned because she’s very shy, but she’s an amazing person and always gets put in the background during our school plays. If I promise to get her to audition, can she do it privately? Just for you, I don’t think she would want the whole school watching.”

Spike gave that some consideration. He really wanted to share the spotlight with this girl, but couldn’t exactly force her. Tara sounded nice enough, and it was better than having to put up with Cordelia Chase. “It’s a deal.”