Chapter 3

Tara Maclay was extremely shy, but when it came to being on stage, she was a natural. She ran her lines perfectly, not messing up once, and she said them with such emotion. It was official, Spike certainly found his star.

“This girl doesn’t have the sex appeal your audience will be expecting. Sure, she’s cute, but can she pull off a decent love scene? She does know there is some partial nudity involved, right?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “I explained it to her, and while she is reluctant about that, she agreed to cooperate. I told her that I will do everything in my power to make her comfortable. I’ve made my choice, end of bloody discussion.”

Angel nodded, deciding to let it go. “All right, will she be able to work with our schedule?”

He nodded as well. “We’re negotiating it right now; I assured her that the movie won’t interfere with her school activities.”

Spike helped Tara down from the stage once Angel left to make a few phone calls, gracing her with a smile. “You did an excellent job, love. Don’t mind my wanker of an agent, he wouldn’t know real talent if it bit him in the bum. He’s just lucky I’ve put up with him this long.”

She blushed. “I just hope I don’t disappoint you.”

Spike had a feeling this girl dealt with a lot of insecurity in her life, and he had an urge to protect her from the big, bad world. If he didn’t think she was perfect for the role, he would seriously reconsider exposing her to this business. It could be brutal at times; he would just have to keep an eye out for her.


* * * * *


“You were right about Tara; she’s just the one I’ve been looking for.”

Buffy was pleased. “I have pretty good instincts about people.”

Spike moved closer to her, taking in a deep breath. Her perfume was intoxicating. “I think I’ve been looking for you as well, just for different reasons.”

She stepped back at his intense proximity. “Does that line usually work? I’m not like the other girls you’ve been involved with. I see right through you, now if you’ll excuse me, I have a class to get to.”

“Can you at least tell me your name?” he asked to stop her from leaving. “I was a bit forward, but I’m not generally like that. If you can believe it, perhaps we should start over. I’m Spike; it’s nice to meet you.” He held his hand out to her, but she didn’t take it.

“Somehow, I doubt your parents decided to call you that on purpose. What’s your real name?”

He shrugged. “I’m just Spike.”

His hand was still in the air, and she decided to take some pity on him by shaking it with hers. “In that case, I’m just Buffy.”

Spike watched her walk away, a smile forming on his lips.


* * * * *


“Dude, what has gotten into you? That girl was practically all over you at the Bronze tonight, and you completely turned her down. We need to get you out of this Drusilla funk; she’s not even worth it.”

He let out a sigh. “I just wasn’t interested, that has been known to happen before. Lately, I’m starting to think I might be more attracted to blondes, at least one in particular.”

Angel groaned. “Oh, God, don’t tell me you’ve already fallen for that Tara chick? What is with you in hooking up with your leading ladies? Is this going to be a common thing now?”

“I’m not talking about her, Peaches. I’m referring to the girl who told me I should give Tara a chance. Her name is Buffy, and she’s not at all interested in me. You don’t know how great it is to meet someone who doesn’t give a fuck who I am. Most girls only care about the fame; they don’t even care to really get to know me. Dru was a bloody train wreck waiting to happen. She became famous because of me, and the second she realized that I had nothing more to offer, she was done. I’m tired of getting involved with these vapid, shallow, idiots. I want more.”

“Damn, and this girl made you realize all of that? You don’t even know her,” Angel commented.

“No,” Spike answered with a grin, “but I will soon enough.”


* * * * *


“I’m running late, Mom.”

Joyce Summers nodded. “I need you to be home by six tonight. Ted is coming over and we’re going to have a nice, family dinner. You can’t keep avoiding it, Buffy. Ted is starting to think you don’t like him, but I know if you just take the time to get to know him like I have, you’ll find that he’s a very nice man.”

Buffy kept her opinions to herself, or she’d likely never get to school on time. “Fine, I’ll be here. Can I go now?” Without waiting for a response, she left the house.


* * * * *


She slammed her locker door shut, being more forceful than usual.

“Is everything okay?”

Buffy turned to see a concerned Spike standing behind her. “Perfect, my mom’s awesome boyfriend is coming over for dinner tonight, and I’m supposed to be on my best behavior. It’s enough to make me want to hurl.”

He raised his eyebrows, not expecting such a strong reaction from her. “Not a fan of the bloke, are you? I get that, my dad started dating a complete bitch last year. I knew she was only with him for his money, but he just couldn’t see it.”

Buffy nodded, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “Your parents are divorced, too?”

Spike looked uncomfortable for a moment, shaking his head. “No, my mum passed a while ago. My dad didn’t handle it very well; he got too hard to be around. Once I started to make something of myself, it didn’t take me long to move out. I don’t talk to him much anymore.”

“Oh, I’m sorry about that. I shouldn’t have said anything.”

He waved his hand in the air. “No worries, I’m fine with talking about it. What’s the story with your dad, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Buffy shrugged. “He’s currently in Spain with his secretary, living the cliché. He cheated on my mom a couple years ago. She got a new job offer here and we moved, no hesitation on her part. I’ve been here for the last two years now, but I grew up in Los Angeles.”

His eyes widened at that. “Really? I used to live in LA for a while when I was younger, been meaning to go back, but it has yet to happen. I’ve mostly been in London since then.”

She nodded, taking in a deep breath. “I hope you don’t mind, but I got a hold of one of your scripts. It’s really good. I had no idea you actually wrote it.”

Spike blushed, which wasn’t something he did often. “I prefer acting, but writing is something I’ve always dabbled in. I never thought I would be starring in my own movie, but I just can’t see anyone else in that role. It wouldn’t feel right, you know?”

Buffy nodded again, tilting her head to the side. “You’re not what I expected.”

He smiled. “I’ll take that as a compliment. I suppose you’ve heard the rumors about me. That I’m a womanizer, a drug addict, alcoholic, and God knows what else has been spread. Honestly, I’ve only ever had two actual relationships. If I’m ever seen with several women at a time, it’s mostly just for publicity, and not my choice. The only drugs I take are the legal kind, and yes, I have been known to drink a bit, but I hardly ever get completely pissed. It’s typically just once in a blue moon, and that’s only if I’ve been having a shitty day.”

Buffy returned his smile, holding her hand up. “You don’t have to prove anything to me.”

Spike stepped closer to her, a serious expression on his face. “I think I do. Normally, I don’t care what anyone thinks of me, but you’re different. Go out with me tomorrow night, please?” He never pleaded, especially not when it involved asking a woman out, but this girl had the ability to bring back the ponce he used to be.

“I don’t know if that would be such a good idea.”

“Please,” he repeated, taking her hand in his and giving it a light squeeze. Spike wondered if she could feel the same spark that he did, or if it was just his imagination.

Buffy took in another deep breath, letting it out slowly. “I thought I was immune to your charms, but I guess not. Okay, one date, but that’s all you’re getting.”

Spike smiled, bringing her hand to his lips and placing a kiss on her knuckles. “That’s good enough for me.”