Author's Chapter Notes:
Things take a bit of a serious turn in this chapter, it can't be lighthearted forever, but I promise much Spuffiness to come. I hope you guys will stick with me, the end should be what you've been waiting for;)
Chapter 4

“What did you do to get that part, huh? Did you bribe Spike? That’s the only reason he would let a freak in his movie.”

Buffy pulled the head cheerleader away from a quivering Tara, after witnessing the whole exchange. “Back off, she hasn’t done anything to you.”

Cordelia scowled at her. “I should have known you were involved, freaks always stick together. That part should have been mine.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “God, could you contemplate getting over yourself for a second? You suck at acting, okay? What part of that is so hard to understand? The rest of your sheep may say you’re the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they’re all full of shit. Everyone in this school is too damn intimidated to stand up to you, but I’ve about had enough. Walk away slowly, or I might do something to damage that pretty nose of yours. I hear you didn’t get it cheap, but if you want my advice, you really should ask for a refund.”

The cheerleader gasped, her hand flying up to cover her nose. “This is real!”

Buffy laughed. “Right, and I suppose you’re gonna tell me the boobs are real, too? Yeah, we’re done here.” She led Tara away, not saying anything until they were out of earshot. “Don’t let those girls get to you, it’s about time someone put the diva in her place. You deserve that part, Tara. Spike didn’t have to choose you; he did it because you have amazing talent. You’ve been in the shadows far too long now; I don’t want you to have any regrets.”

Tara wiped her eyes, giving the blonde a small smile. “Thanks, Buffy, you’re a good friend.”

She shrugged. “Hey, us freaks have to stick together.” When Tara walked away, Buffy was broken out of her reverie by someone clapping.

“That was so fucking hot.”

Buffy blushed at his admiration. “It’s not a big deal, her bark is usually worse than her bite.”

Spike graced her with a warm smile. “Not just that, the way you were with Tara. I think more people should be like you. I was bullied a lot as a kid, but it gave me the confidence to be who I am today. If anyone else gives her trouble, you just let me know. I don’t want my movie to cause problems for her. I’ll go to the school board if I have to.”

“I don’t think that will be necessary, but it’s nice of you to offer. I should probably get going. Are we still on for tonight?”

He nodded. “It’s all I’ve been thinking about. I could pick you up, or we can meet at the hotel. That’s actually a good idea, it has a nice restaurant. My treat, and then maybe after you can come back to my room.” Spike knew how that sounded, and decided to clarify before she got the wrong idea. “Only to talk, of course, I just want to get to know you better outside of school. My agent shouldn’t bother us.”

Buffy thought it over, nodding after a moment. “Sounds good, but I can’t stay out too late. I can be there at seven, if that’s okay.”

“Perfect,” he replied, taking her hand in his and kissing the back of it. “I’ll see you then.”

Buffy let out a breath once he was gone, resting her head against the wall, and praying that she knew what she was getting herself into.


* * * * *


She was putting the finishing touches on her make up when a throat cleared behind her, Buffy didn’t need to turn around to know who it was.

“Could you please leave my room?”

He chuckled, stepping further inside. “Now, is that very nice? Joyce means a lot to me, I don’t appreciate you upsetting her. She wants us to get along, all I’m doing is checking on you before your big date. I’m going to be a part of your family, after all.”

That stopped Buffy cold, finally turning to glare at him. “What are you talking about?”

“Oh, it’s really no immense surprise. Your mother and I are going to be married, and I’m not about to let you or anyone else get in my way.” Ted grabbed her by the shoulders, giving her a firm squeeze. “You’re important to her, but if you continue to misbehave, I will have to suggest sending you away to boarding school. I know you don’t want that, am I right? It would be best for all of us to have your blessing on this very happy union,” he finished, trailing a finger down her arm.

Buffy jerked away, snatching up her purse. “You’re a monster, and my mother will see that soon enough.” She headed for the door, but was grabbed again in a tight grip.

“Beg to differ, little lady. It would be my word against yours. I hope your fellow values all that you have to offer, but I’ll be staying here tonight, so I suggest that you return home at a decent hour. If not, I just might be waiting up for you, but as of right now, your mother is waiting for me in what will soon be our bedroom. I wonder why you asked for a lock on your door, I doubt you’ll need it.” Ted yanked her hair, pulling her head back as he licked a fallen tear from her cheek. “If you whore yourself to that man, I will cause you unbearable pain. I am the only one allowed to touch you, do you understand?”

Buffy ran as soon as he let her go, not stopping until she was out of the house. For six months, ever since her mother started dating that psycho, Buffy had been afraid of being in her own home. She could hardly even stand to be there when he was around, and her mom had no idea why. Ted made it very clear that no one would believe her. He was a very prominent member of society, and everyone in town practically idolized him, but Buffy didn’t know how much more she could take. At school, she was seen as a confident person, someone who stood up for herself and didn’t take crap from anybody, but at home it was a completely different story. Buffy needed a lock for her door because she was tired of him always waltzing in like he owned the place; she wanted some way to keep him out. Ted took things too far last time, and Buffy awoke to find her hands tied up, with tape over her mouth to keep her from screaming. He robbed her of her virginity that night, and he did it with a sadistic grin on his face. How he could show the whole world an entirely different side was beyond her, but why was she getting the shitty end of the deal? What did Buffy do to ever deserve that? And would she ever find a way to make it stop? Maybe this was her punishment for driving her father away, if she had been a better daughter, he might have stayed with them and Buffy never would have had to move to Sunnydale.

She stopped once the hotel finally came in view, trying to calm herself before meeting Spike. Things would be better now, Buffy was sure of it. They had to be, or she would slowly go out of her mind.


* * * * *


Buffy laughed at one of Spike’s stories as he let her into his hotel room, the evening was going a lot better than she thought it would.

“I’m having a hard time picturing you as an awkward kid.”

He smiled. “Oh, I was, too busy with my nose stuck in books. I was basically a poetry writing git, could never get a girl to look twice at me. Hell, before my first movie came out, no one even knew that I existed.”

Buffy sat down on the bed, pulling her sleeve up a bit to fondle with her bracelet. She hadn’t worn it the last couple of days, but needed the courage it gave her right about now. “I don’t believe that.”

Spike shrugged, sitting down beside her. “I guess not all of my childhood was bad, but enough about me, we’re here to learn more about you. What are your likes, dislikes, what are you looking for in a boyfriend?”

Heat kissed her cheeks, deciding it was best not to open that door just yet. “Where will you go once the movie is done?”

“Ah, nice subject change. I haven’t really thought much about that, maybe just move back to LA. I never realized how much I missed California, and a bonus is having you only two hours away.”

“Is it your mission to keep making me blush?” she wondered.

Spike chuckled. “Well, it is a very lovely color on you.” He took her hand in his, running his fingers up her arm, and instantly pulling away when she winced. “I’m sorry, did I hurt you?”

Buffy shook her head, but before she could reply, noticed that his eyes were staring at her arm.

“Where did you get that?”

She let out a breath, figuring he must have seen her bruises, but it was her bracelet that he seemed to be fixated on. “Oh, a friend made it for me a while ago. Why do you ask?”

He quickly stood, pulling up his pant leg and indicating the matching bracelet on his ankle, deciding to put it there after Angel wouldn’t get off his case. The shock on her face told him all that he needed to know. “I think things are about to get a lot more interesting.”