Chapter 5

Buffy sat there in silence after the big reveal was made. She couldn’t believe that her William was Spike, the famous actor. He always dreamed about making something of himself one day, but with how shy he was, Buffy never thought he would ever become a celebrity. He must be so disappointed in the way she turned out, but once the shock wore off a bit, he had the biggest grin on his face that she’d ever seen.

“I don’t bloody believe this!” he exclaimed, yanking her off the bed and wrapping his arms around her, inhaling the scent of her lavender shampoo. “I always knew there was something about you, but I just couldn’t put my finger on it. God, I can’t believe you’re really here. I went back to your old house about a year ago, but there were different people living there. They wouldn’t tell me what your newest location was, probably thought I was a bloody stalker, but I never imagined I would see you again.” Spike pulled away to look at her, brushing the hair out of her face. “You are so beautiful, not that you weren’t before, but you’re a woman now. I feel like I’m babbling like an idiot here, are you going to say anything?”

Buffy didn’t know what to say, this was a lot to take in all at once. “You bleached your hair,” was all she could manage to get out.

Spike laughed. “Yeah, for a while now, I needed a new image. Got contacts, too, clear ones, you always said how you loved the color of my eyes. And hey, I’m not the only one who decided to go blonde,” he finished, flicking a strand of her hair.

Before Buffy knew what she was doing, she reached out to caress his cheek, tears clouding her vision. This was the first time she really took notice of how blue his eyes were. “William? It’s really you.”

He felt tears as well, normally hating to hear his given name, but it didn’t sound so bad coming from her. “So, you’re Buffy now, what’s the story behind that?”

She wiped at her eyes. “No story, I just needed a change. The name kind of grew on me after a while. Are you going to tell me how you came up with Spike?”

He shook his head. “Maybe later, if you’re good.” Spike looked her over, still not believing that his former best friend was standing in front of him again.

“Wait, I sent you a letter before I moved, telling you what my new address was.”

Spike shrugged. “I’ve lived in lots of different places, guess it never got to me. I’ve had to change so much, it got too overwhelming that I knew I could no longer keep contact with you, but I planned on visiting again as soon as I got things settled. I never counted on you leaving Los Angeles, what happened?”

She sat back down, pulling him with her. “My dad cheated on my mom, they went through a pretty nasty divorce. My mom wanted a fresh start and when she got a job offer in Sunnydale, it was like an answer to her prayers. We moved here, and my dad left with his secretary to Spain, apparently she has family there, but I already told you most of the story. You just didn’t realize it was me at the time.”

“Sorry about that, love, your father always was a bit of a wanker. And now Joyce is dating a new man, but you’re not so fond of him? Why is that, you still want your parents together?”

Buffy laughed humorlessly. “Hardly, my mom is better off without my dad, but Ted is just not good enough for her. He’s not the perfect guy everyone thinks he is. I’m just tired of living in a town where he keeps getting praised. And now he’s talking about marriage, my mother never once told me anything about that. I don’t care about my parents getting back together, but I can’t have him as a step-father. One way or another, I have to stop that from happening.”

Spike had a feeling there was more going on than what she was telling him, but he would let it go for the time being. He was positive she’d tell him when she was ready. Instead, he was finding it hard to keep calm with her sitting so close to him. This was his Elizabeth, his best friend, the first girl he ever truly loved, whether she knew that or not. Spike couldn’t take it anymore, with that thought in mind, he pulled her closer and smashed his mouth to hers in a passionate embrace. It took only a second for her to return the kiss, backing off a bit as to not scare her. He took her succulent bottom lip into his mouth, tasting her strawberry gloss in the process.

When Buffy finally came back to reality, she shoved him away. “Where did that come from?”

He tried to get his breathing under control, thinking of what to tell her. “Sorry again, love, guess I got a bit too carried away. You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to do that, I just couldn’t control myself.”

She raised her eyebrows. “You have?”

Spike nodded, trailing his fingers through his hair. “When we were kids, I had a huge crush on you.”

That was the last thing she expected to hear. “Are you serious? I was such a loser.”

“You were not; I thought you were bloody adorable.”

Buffy blushed for what felt like the millionth time that night. “I had a crush on you, too.”

It was his turn to be shocked now. “Right, tell me a new one. You were adorable; I was nothing but a geek.”

“Well, you were the sexiest geek I’ve ever known. I was so devastated when you left. I don’t think I’ll be able to go through that again.”

He took her in his arms, guiding her head to rest on his shoulder. “You won’t have to worry about that, pet. Now that I’ve finally found you, there’s no way I’m going anywhere.”

“But you can’t stay here forever, what about your job?”

Spike shrugged. “We’ll cross that bridge later, but I’m going to find a way to make this work. I can’t lose you again.”

Buffy pulled away to look at him, seeing how sincere he was. No more words needed to be said as she touched her lips to his in a tender caress, feeling that everything would really be okay now.