Chapter 7

“You can’t be serious about giving everything up. This is your career; do you know how guilty I would feel?”

Spike let out a sigh. “You may be a big part of my decision, but I’m doing it for myself just as much. I feel smothered, like I was robbed of having a real childhood. The only time anything made sense was when I was with you. When we would play at the park every weekend, it was the only time I really felt free. Maybe now I’ll have a chance to do all the things I never would have been able to before, like possibly go to college. Everything leading up to this point has been a dream, but so is being with you. I promise there won’t be any regrets. I’ll be finishing this movie, and after that I’m free to do whatever I want. I really need you with me, Buffy.”

She nodded, seeing the fear on his face at the thought of her rejecting him. “I’m with you. Whatever you decide to do, I’ll be supportive as hell. I can’t lose you again, but I’m afraid that after spending years in the limelight, a normal life would never be enough.”

He shook his head. “I’ll have you, and that’s really all I need.”

Buffy let him wrap her in his strong embrace, praying that there really wouldn’t be any regrets.


* * * * *


“William? My God, you have really grown up. I almost didn’t believe Buffy when she told me the news.”

Spike smiled, hugging the woman who had always been like a second mother to him. “It’s great to see you again, Joyce. You haven’t aged at all.”

She smiled as well, leading him into the living room. “I would like you to meet Ted Buchanan, my boyfriend. This is William, or Spike now, I guess I should say. He’s Buffy’s old friend, and a very famous actor. Who would have thought?” Joyce finished, making the introductions.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir,” Spike said, holding his hand out to the older man.

Ted nodded and took his proffered hand. “Very well mannered, I like that. It’s nice to meet you, but I’m afraid I don’t know any of your work. If it involves a lot of violence, chances are I haven’t seen it.”

Buffy rolled her eyes, but decided to keep quiet.

“They do, actually, I think I’ve probably only done one romantic comedy. I’m more of an action man.”

“Since you’re practically family to these lovely ladies, I think I might check one out,” Ted told him. “I’m very intrigued, and really hate to show my age. I have to keep up with this one, after all.”

Joyce blushed. “I think you’re doing just fine.”

“We’re going to the Bronze now,” Buffy cut in, really wanting to be elsewhere.

“All right, but it’s a school night. I want you home by eleven.”

Buffy nodded and ushered Spike out of the house, not waiting for her mother to say anything else. Being around Ted made her skin crawl, and she was looking for any excuse to get out of there.

“That was a bit rude, love. I know you’re not too crazy about the bloke, but he seemed decent enough to me. A little old fashioned, but to each their own. If your mum is happy, shouldn’t that be what’s important?”

“You just don’t know him, okay? I don’t expect for you to understand,” she responded.

Spike looked taken aback. “Why don’t you enlighten me, then? If you don’t care about your parents getting back together, what’s with all of the hostility? Joyce has a right to move on.”

“I know she does, but why him? He’s not good enough for her, and nothing I say will make her see that. No one believes anything negative I say about him, so why do I even bother to try? Look, I don’t want to argue about this. Can we please talk about something else? Ted is just a sore subject for me.”

Spike agreed, deciding to get to the bottom of whatever was really bothering her. It was obvious that now wasn’t the time, but he had a feeling this was about more than just her mother dating.


* * * * *


The night was awkward, and they spent most of it sitting in a corner in silence, but Spike eventually had enough.

“Would you like to dance?”

Buffy nodded, taking his hand as he led her over to the dance floor. Once he wrapped his arms around her, she finally let herself relax.

Spike pressed his cheek to the top of her head, feeling at peace. He had to admit, it was nice being in a small town. Unlike the city, he wasn’t mobbed everywhere he went. It was nice to just spend quality time with his girlfriend and not have to worry about someone asking for an autograph every few minutes. Spike never could have done that with Drusilla, she craved the attention. She always chose extravagant places for them to meet at, and never would have been caught dead in Sunnydale. He actually felt guilty when he decided to finally end things with her. That was until he found her with another man in her bed, and she actually had the nerve to ask him to join in. Before her was Cecily Addams, an uptight bitch, who once again only cared about his fame. There had been girls every now and then that he would flirt with at parties, or certain events, but that’s all it ever was. Spike had never really been for one night stands, despite what some people might say about him. There was only one girl he had ever truly loved, and she was currently in his arms where she rightfully belonged.

“The song ended,” Buffy whispered in his ear. “You can let go now.”

Instead, that just made him cling to her even tighter. “Never.”


* * * * *


Buffy hated returning home, but didn’t think it would be a good idea to defy her mom’s rules by staying out later. Watching Spike walk away was heartbreaking, even though she knew that she would be seeing him the next day. Now that he was back in her life, she never wanted to be apart from him.

She headed straight upstairs to her room, but before she could turn on her light, a hand clapped over her mouth. Buffy shut her eyes when a tongue licked up her neck, feeling tears form, but wasn’t about to give in.

“Did you have a nice time tonight, sweetheart? I don’t know if it’s such a good idea for you to continue seeing that boy, he looks like trouble. I wouldn’t want you to get hurt, kids today always give false manners to try and impress the parents, but I’m not falling for it. He’s not the kind of man you should be with,” Ted claimed, cupping her breast through her shirt and giving it a firm squeeze. “Did you get all pretty for him, or was this because you knew I would be waiting for you? I’m going to take my hand away now, so we can have an actual conversation. If you even think of screaming, I will kill your mother in her sleep. Do I make myself clear?”

Buffy nodded, finding it hard to stop the tears now.

“Good girl,” he said, slowly removing his hand. “I’ll make this simple, take your clothes off and get on the bed.”

She backed away, shaking her head as the tears streamed down her face. “Please, don’t make me do this.”

Ted rolled his eyes. “You’re such a whiny little bitch, you know that? I don’t think I have to remind you what will happen if you disobey me. Now, take off your fucking clothes, or I’ll do it for you and I won’t be gentle about it. If you cooperate, I might not tie you up this time.”

Buffy unsteadily did as he said, wishing her nightmare would end.