Author's Chapter Notes:
I feel like I've lost everyone, things will start to look up in this chapter. You just have to stick with me, I promise it will be worth it.
Chapter 8

Once Ted was done with her, Buffy hurried to the bathroom to scrub every inch of her body. Luckily, there was no actual penetration this time, only his sick idea of foreplay. Just the thought of having him fully inside of her again was enough to make her want to throw up, the man was beyond disgusting. She didn’t understand what her mom could possibly see in him, but then again, Joyce didn’t know his true nature. The worst thing about being sexually abused by your own mother’s boyfriend was having her not believe you, and without actual proof, that’s exactly what would happen. She had the bruises to show for it, but worried that wouldn’t be enough. She’d always been very clumsy, and her mother would probably find something else to blame them on. Joyce believed her boyfriend was perfect and could do no wrong, just like the rest of the world.

Buffy splashed some cold water on her face, gazing at her reflection in the mirror. The girl staring back at her was hardly even recognizable anymore. The tears came with a vengeance then, falling to the floor and burying her head in her hands as she sobbed her heart out.


* * * * *


“What’s wrong with this picture?”

She broke out of her reverie at his voice. “What?”

Spike shook his head. “We’re on the beach. It’s a beautiful day, the sun is shining down on us, and you’re sitting there in a sweater. It’s nearly ninety degrees out here, how can you stand it?”

Buffy shrugged. “Guess I’ve just gotten used to it, I didn’t even want to come here. You’ll be sorry when your pasty skin gets burned.”

He waved his hand in the air. “Small price to pay, I haven’t felt this relaxed in a long time. Come on, love, you’re too covered up. It’s just not natural, are you nervous about me seeing you in a bikini or something? Trust me; you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.”

She flinched at that, wrapping her arms around herself. “So, how’s the movie going?”

Spike rolled his eyes, another bloody subject change. She was really good at that. “Fine, Tara’s a natural, we’re almost finished. I can’t wait for everyone to see the final product.”

“And you’ll be leaving when it’s done?”

“Only for a couple of months, we’re finishing up in London. As soon as that’s done, I’ll be coming right back here. I meant what I said, Buffy. This is the start of a whole new world for us,” he said, taking her hand in his.

She pulled away out of habit, hearing his sigh of disappointment.

“Okay, what’s going on? You haven’t let me get close to you in days, and you act weird whenever I touch you. Are you having second thoughts about us?”

Buffy shook her head. “No, I just have a lot on my mind. It has nothing to do with you.”

He raised his eyebrows. “I’m finding that a little hard to believe. Please, love, just tell me what’s wrong. You used to be able to tell me anything. I know we haven’t been involved in each other’s lives for five years, but I like to think that still applies.”

“It does, and if something was wrong, I would tell you. I’m just tired; the heat is really starting to get to me.”

Spike knew she was lying, but wasn’t about to push her if she really didn’t want to talk. He packed up their few belongings and walked her over to his car. She was quiet the whole way home, and it was really starting to worry him.


* * * * *


She ran as fast as she could, holding her torn shirt to keep it from falling down. She was drenched in the sudden downpour, but even that couldn’t stop her. Buffy ran until she reached her destination, heading straight for his room and pounding on the door.

Spike swung the door open, expecting to see a crazed fan about to pounce on him, but was shocked by the sight of Buffy. “God, pet, what the fuck happened?” He pulled her into the room, closing the door behind her and rubbing her shivering form as he led her over to the bed. “Who did this to you?” he asked, anger lacing his tone.

Buffy couldn’t find the words; instead she buried her face against his shoulder, crying uncontrollably when he wrapped his arms around her and knowing that for now, she was safe.


* * * * *


Spike was seething when Buffy finally confessed about what had been going on with her, and this was the last thing he expected. He had a conversation with that wanker. He was polite to him, and the whole time the git was hurting his girl. How could he have not seen it? She tried to tell him that the man wasn’t trustworthy, but he wouldn’t even listen. Buffy had always been a good judge of character, he should have remembered that. He clenched his fists, trying to control his temper. When he turned back to face her, seeing her newly blackened eye and split lip, that was not going to be easy.

“I thought I would be fine with my mom out of town. Ted usually never comes over when she’s not home, but he was there waiting for me. I forgot that she gave him a key. He was so mad, and I could tell that he’d been drinking. He grabbed me and threw me into the coffee table, the glass cut my back, but that didn’t stop him from hitting me. He…He tried to rip my shirt off, and that’s when I just snapped. I kicked him hard in the crotch and got the hell out of there, all I could think about was getting to you.”

Spike pulled her closer when she started to cry again, kissing the top of her head and whispering soothing words in her ear, but doubted that she even heard them. “You’re safe now, baby; I won’t let him hurt you ever again. God, I wish you would have told me about this. I would have believed you.”

Buffy wiped her eyes, pulling away to look at him. “I just didn’t know what to say. He always threatens to hurt my mom if I ever told and with his reputation in town, I didn’t think anyone would listen. But this was the last straw, he’s never tried to beat me like that before and I never want to be in that position again. I knew keeping it quiet would no longer be an option. My mom is coming back tomorrow, and he knows I probably went straight to you. I can’t go back to that house, but there’s no telling what he’ll do when she does.”

Spike nodded, helping her to stand up. “You’re not going back there. We’re going to the police station. You’ve kept this inside far too long now. If you and your mother ever hope to be safe from him, you need to tell the cops everything you told me. It’s the only way, love; he’ll just end up hurting someone else. This is a very sick man, and as much as I would love to murder him right now, he belongs behind bars.”

Buffy agreed and followed him out of the hotel room; it was time for this to end.