Chapter 9

As Buffy expected, the police were a bit suspicious about her accusations, even with the evidence all over her face. Spike’s blow up at them to get their act together didn’t really help any, but they followed up by checking her house first. Buffy knew he likely wouldn’t be there, but the proof of her attack was still in the living room. Ted apparently didn’t care to fix his mess before he took off. His apartment was empty as well, along with most of his belongings, but Buffy wouldn’t get her hopes up just yet. It may seem like he gave up and left town, but if she knew Ted at all, he was far from done with her.

“What if they never find him? He could be anywhere by now.”

Spike took her hand in his, giving it a light squeeze. “They’ve got officers checking every inch of this town for him; he couldn’t have gotten that far. The police now know how serious this is, and everyone is going to be pretty reluctant of him. Like you said, Ted has a reputation in this place, everyone knows who he is and will hopefully report to the police if he’s spotted. They’ll have patrol cars guarding your house until he’s found, and I’m not about to let you out of my sight. You and your mother are safe now.”

Buffy groaned. “God, my mother is going to freak. She thought she finally found a decent guy after my dad’s betrayal, and this is what happens? She’ll never date again; therefore we’ll both end up being miserable. At least she was somewhat happy with Ted, even though it made me nauseated to see her with him.”

“Your mum will find someone else, love. Maybe someone who’s not a complete psychopath, but him being here wasn’t good for either of you. Joyce will understand that when she realizes what he’s done to you.”

Buffy knew he was right, but had a feeling things would never be the same between them again.


* * * * *


“Mom, I’m so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen.”

When the shock wore off a bit, Joyce shook her head. “You have nothing to be sorry about, Buffy. I brought that monster into this house, and for that I can never apologize enough. Just the thought of what he tried to reduce you to…” her voice trailed off, taking in a deep breath to calm herself. “I can never forgive myself for that.”

Buffy wiped her eyes, sitting next to her mother on the couch. “It was my fault for not saying something sooner. I should have at least tried; I was just so scared about what he might do.”

Joyce nodded. “And you didn’t think I would believe you, which you had every right to think. I didn’t listen when you first tried to tell me about your father’s infidelity. You thought you were protecting me by keeping this a secret, but all it did was put you even more at risk. I just can’t believe I was ever with that man. From now on, it’s just you and me. I’m not bringing anyone else into this family unless they have both of our trust. If you feel someone isn’t good enough, I’ll take your word for it. You are the most important person in my life, honey. Nothing could ever change that.”

The tears fell more now as Buffy accepted her mom’s embrace. “I love you, Mommy.”

Joyce kissed the top of her daughter’s head, holding her tighter. “I love you, too.”


* * * * *


Buffy let out a soft moan as Spike trailed his lips down her smooth neck, sucking on her pulse point.

“You’re trembling, is this too much?”

She shook her head. “No, it just tickles.”

He slid his fingers under her shirt, rubbing her stomach affectionately. “If I ever make you uncomfortable…”

Buffy held up a hand, effectively cutting him off. “I don’t mind the touching when it’s coming from you. I may tense up every now and then, but that’s not because you’re making me uncomfortable. I’ve only ever been with one person in the physical sense, and it wasn’t because I gave myself to him freely. I just don’t think I’m ready for more yet, but when it does happen for us, I know it’ll be amazing.”

Spike nodded. “That’s perfectly understandable, pet. I’ll wait for however long you need, there’s no hurry, but I want you to know this isn’t just something casual for me. I’m in love with you, Buffy. Have been for as long as I can remember, and when I finally saw you again, it was like a bloody revelation. I never believed in fate before, but there’s no doubt in my mind that me coming here was more than just a coincidence. We’re meant to be together, and I really hope I’m not the only one who feels that.”

“You’re not, everything you said is exactly how I feel, but it’s all so overwhelming right now. You have this whole other life that I’m not a part of, and I honestly don’t know if I ever can be. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very proud of your success, but I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to fit into your world.”

“We’ll make it work, Buffy. I’m not about to let you go again, I don’t have it in me. Finding you was the best bloody thing that could have happened to me, we have so much to catch up on. It would break my heart if you were having any doubts,” he claimed, praying that she wouldn’t give up on them before they’d even started. “I told you that’s not a part of my life anymore. I’m giving it all up after this film, you won’t have to worry.”

She took in a deep breath. “Yeah, but for how long? Another movie offer could come your way, one you won’t be able to turn down. This has been such a huge part of your life for years now, how can you just be expected to give it all up? I know how devoted your fans are. If they find out the real reason for you leaving this business, I’ll be the most hated woman around. Not to mention all of the guilt for you giving up something I know you love.”

Spike sat up, putting some distance between them. “Is this really about me leaving my career, or about something else? I know for a fact you could care less what anyone thinks of you. You’ve been through something pretty traumatic with Ted, I get that you’re scared to start something with me. You’re only seventeen and he took away your innocence, among other things. It’s too much for anyone to deal with, but I don’t want you to use him as an excuse to not be with me. If you really don’t love me, then I can respect that and try to move on. If you do love me, nothing should stand in the way.” He took the friendship bracelet off that she gave him, placing it on her wrist over the one he gave her. “There has to be a reason of why we kept these for so long. We knew that we’d probably never see each other again, but we still kept them. I think a part of me knew I would find you some day, and I know you were thinking the same thing. We are so good together, sweetheart, always have been. This is our actual second chance, something most people never even get to experience. I love you so much,” Spike finished, cupping her cheek and kissing her lips tenderly.

Buffy returned his kiss, shutting her eyes at the sensations going through her and before she knew it, she was on her back as the kiss continued.

Spike released her mouth when breathing became an issue, touching his lips to her closed eyelids, cheeks, chin, and then back to her mouth, slipping his tongue inside. He pulled away after a moment, gazing down at the pure bliss on her features. “What do you say, love? Are you willing to give us a chance?”

All she did was smile, meeting her lips with his once more.