Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to leave a review, it means so much to know what you think! Also, a thanks to my wonderful betas Carla and Sharon! Any mistakes made are mine, and mine alone.
Part Four

I shouldn’t be as surprised as I am to run into Angel on my way home from work Wednesday afternoon. The apple obviously doesn’t fall too far from the tree. It’s almost funny that Angel’s chosen to pursue the same woman his father pursued almost exactly two years earlier. I’m sure Angel wouldn’t find the fact that he’s competing against Spike once again very funny.

Angel pretends it’s a coincidence that he just happened to be walking by the store where I work on the one day of the week he knows what time I get off. I can’t help but be annoyed by his antics. I know it’s not fair, but I also can’t help comparing him to Spike. Spike wouldn’t deny waiting for me; he’d be charming and confident, but not in the cocky way Angel comes off. Angel wants girls to feel like he’s doing them a favor by talking to them, and I’m sure it’s worked for him more times than I care to know.

It’s not working this time.

Angel’s talking about some exclusive club opening he’s going to this weekend when I realize we’ve already made it to the next block. I have to tell him what I should’ve told him last week. I mean the topic never really came up, but I knew he was flirting with me, and I should’ve managed to work it into the conversation.

I stop him mid-sentence, blurting out (not-so-gracefully) “Angel, I have a boyfriend!”

Angel’s face twists in annoyance, but he quickly recovers and laughs. “Geez, Buff, a little presumptuous aren’t ya?”

“Well, I mean you said last week that you were thinking about me and you show up here…a-and you’re all with the flirting…”

“Wow, no offense, but you’re really not my type.” He leans in and says a little quieter, “You’re a little too old for me.”

I should’ve known he was going to be a jerk. “That works out just fine because-” I mimic his earlier actions of leaning in and lowering my voice, “you’re a little too young for me.”

Angel lets out a long whistle, picking up my right hand for further inspection. “This boyfriend of yours must be almost as rich as I am.”

I fidget, uncomfortable under his scrutiny. I try to pull my hand out of his grasp, but he doesn’t let go, still inspecting my ring. I had debated whether or not I should even wear it. People were bound to notice something so flashy, and I really didn’t need anyone questioning where I got such a fine piece of jewelry.

“He does okay for himself.”

Angel finally lets go of my hand. “It was good running into you. Maybe, I’ll see you around.”

“Hopefully not,” I mutter under my breath, watching him hurry away from me.

~*~

After my awkward encounter with Angel, I make my way to Central Park. It’s the week before my final exams, and classes aren’t in session so students can study. During study weeks, I’m basically inaccessible. I lock myself in my apartment, only leaving to go to work or the grocery store. But some days I like to set up a blanket in the park and study with the warm sun shining down.

I haven’t seen Spike since he dropped me off at my apartment on Saturday night. I miss him, but it’s not like I haven’t gone three days without seeing him. I glance down at my ring, remembering just how perfect Friday night had been. After dinner, he took me back to his room and made love to me. We’ve had slow, intense sex before, but nothing like Friday night.

Something has definitely changed between us.

“Nice ring. You’re boyfriend must love you very much.”

“Yeah, he does.” I smile up at him. “Too bad I’m just with him for his money.”

Spike sits down next to me on the blanket, moving one of my textbooks out of his way. “Poor bastard. Does he know?”

“Nope, he’s totally clueless.” I want to kiss him so bad, but I swallow the urge. “How’d you know I was here?”

“Called your apartment. When you didn’t answer, I took a wild guess.”

Sometimes it really surprises me how well he knows me.

“How’s the studying going?”

I groan. “I can’t wait until this is all over! I feel like I’ve been in school my whole life.”

He laughs. “That’s because you have been, princess.” After a pause he continues, off-handedly. “I was thinkin’ I’d come to your graduation ceremony.”

I blink. “You want to come to my graduation?”

“Well, yeah. I wanna see my girl up there gettin’ her diploma.”

“Are you sure? I mean, won’t people wonder why you’re there?”

“I’m hardly some sort of celebrity, Buffy. I doubt anyone there will even know who I am. Besides, it’s not like I’m gonna shag you right there in front of everyone. Nobody has to know I’m there to see you.”

Now, I really wanna kiss him. “Okay, I’ll get you a ticket.”

“How about a study break?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t really gotten any studying done today.”

“You’ve gotta eat don’t you? We can go back to your place and order in some food.”

There is no way he just wants to eat dinner, but I’m finding it hard to protest. I’ve been working hard, and I definitely deserve a study break.

“Pizza or sushi?”

~*~

We barely make it into the privacy of my apartment before he’s undressing me. An article of my clothing is removed with each step we take further inside. I fumble with his belt and zipper, only managing to release his erection from its confines before he lifts me up. My legs instinctively wrap around his waist, as he makes the trip toward my bedroom.

Our kisses are fevered; kissing him makes me feel like my whole body is on fire. My hand is stroking his shaft, teasingly brushing the tip, wet with precum, against my wet folds. I let out a surprised gasp into his mouth as my bare back makes contact with the cold wall next to my bedroom door. My free hand moves from where it had been tangled in his hair to open the door for us.

“Can’t wait,” Spike breathes, pushing into me. We both moan before his lips find their way back to mine. His long, agonizingly slow thrusts are a dark contrast to the frenzied way his lips are moving over mine.

“Spike…” I breathe against his mouth, tightening my legs around him, trying to make him go faster.

“What, baby?” He looks at me with a twinkle in his eye. He knows exactly what I want.

“Faster…I need…faster…” My breathing is shallow as his lips move over the sensitive spot on my neck. I’m so close. If he would just go...a little...faster.

When he’s had enough fun teasing me, he starts moving his hips at a more frantic pace. I love it when he takes me like this, up against a wall, all passionate like he can’t hold back. There’s so much passion between us at all times, whether we’re fighting or fucking. Now, that I think about it, it’s been over a week since we’ve fought. That must be a record for us.

It doesn’t take long before I’m biting down on his shoulder to muffle a scream as I climax. I can tell he’s close, and I can feel the familiar stirrings of another orgasm building. “Spike…I’m gonna…come,” I tell him softly in his ear.

“Oh, God, Buffy. I’m close, baby.” His fingers are biting into my outer thighs, and I know I’ll have ten little bruises in the morning, but at the moment I really don’t care.

I’m seconds away from climaxing again, and I want him to come with me. My lips kiss a trail from his shoulder to his ear again. “Love you, Spike.” My words have the desired reaction. Spike roars as his orgasm hits, uncaring who hears his loud exclamation.

We both take a moment to catch our breath. I can feel Spike’s heart pounding through our connected chests. After a minute, he opens the door to my bedroom, and we walk through, still attached. We collapse on the bed in a heap. He’s careful to roll onto his side, so he doesn’t crush me.

It’s not until much later, after Spike’s gone home, and I’m alone in my bed that I smile.

He didn’t yell at me for biting him.

~*~

The rest of the week and weekend passes by in a blur of working and studying. By the time I sit for my finals, I can practically recite every word from my textbooks and study guides. I’m confident I did well on all my exams and that I’ll pass all my classes for the semester. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders, like all my hard work was well worth it.

Spike calls during the week, wanting to take me out to celebrate on Friday night, but I already have plans to spend time with Dawn. He doesn’t push, just says he misses me, and can’t wait for my finals to be over. I couldn’t have agreed with him more.

I can’t remember the last time Dawn and I went out for some sisterly bonding time. Her schedule is even more demanding than mine, which doesn’t allow for a lot of free time. By Friday, I’m more than ready to celebrate with a girly cocktail. Dawn suggests getting dressed up and going down to The Host- a fancy hotel restaurant/bar owned by the famous singer, Lorne. A night out -dressed to kill- is just what the doctor ordered.

It takes me forever to find a cab, and when I finally get to The Host, I’m ten minutes late. Dawn is already at the bar, two Cosmos sitting in front of her. The wonders of her fake I.D. never cease to amaze me. I swear I get carded more often than she does. Ever since she got taller than me at the age of seventeen, everyone thinks she’s the older sister.

Catching up with Dawn is always a good time. She tells me horror stories of going to a school where the majority of students are either girls or gay. It’s times like these I really wish my mom could see how close Dawn and I have become. The relationship we have now is a far cry from the bickering teens we were when she was alive. If only…but tonight is so not the time for such depressing thoughts.

It’s not long before two guys approach us at the bar. Dawn has turned into such a flirt. I wanna to roll my eyes at her, but instead I paste on a fake smile and laugh at something one of them says. One of them asks if they can buy us a drink, and before I can even open my mouth to reply, Dawn is telling them yes. I shoot her a look because I am so not into this. I understand the look she shoots back my way and resign myself to being her wing-woman for the night.

“I’m Riley,” the taller one introduces himself, extending his hand. He looks so awkward standing next to his friend, who is flirting shamelessly with Dawn.

Apparently, Riley and his friend are in the army, but I’m only half listening, so I really have no clue what they’re doing here in town. I smile and nod in all the right places, hoping he gets bored and moves on to someone else. Unfortunately, I’m not that lucky, and he seems incredibly interested in me.

“You don’t sound like you’re from New York,” he tells me. He has the goofiest grin I’ve ever seen.

“Neither do you.”

He chuckles. “You got me there. Born and raised in Iowa.”

“We’re from California.”

“What in the world would make you leave the sunshine state to come to this polluted city?”

The sunshine state? Who even says that? Isn’t Florida the sunshine state?

“Our mom died.”

The look on his face is comical. I almost feel bad for pulling the dead mom card, but God is he annoying!

“I’m so sorry,” he apologizes profusely. “I had no idea.”

I shrug and take a sip from my glass. I seriously need to get away before he starts asking questions, so I excuse myself to the ladies room. On my way, I see Spike being led to a table in the restaurant section. It’s so crowded that I can’t see who he’s with, but it’s not like I can just go up to him anyway, so I continue on my way to the restroom.

Ten minutes later, which is hopefully more than enough time for the two soldiers to move on, I make my way back to Dawn. I scan the crowded restaurant for a sign of Spike, but I don’t see him at any of the tables. Luckily, when I reach Dawn she’s alone, but I can see her glaring across the room at someone. It isn’t until I’m next to her that I can see who she’s looking at.

Spike.

“Who the hell is that?” Dawn asks, her words dripping with attitude.

It’s exactly what I’m thinking, but I don’t want her to know that. Besides, I’m sure Spike conducts a ton of business deals at fancy, somewhat romantic, restaurants with gorgeous, busty brunettes in tight, skimpy dresses.

“Probably a client.” I try to keep my tone carefree, but it sounds thin to my own ears.

“She looks pretty friendly,” Dawn points out as the woman obviously flirts with Spike, touching his arm and thrusting her chest at him. To his credit, Spike isn’t overtly flirting back, but he also doesn’t look bothered by the attention.

“I don’t know who she is, but I trust him,” I tell my sister with conviction. “Look, I didn’t even get a chance to show you the beautiful present he gave me for our anniversary.”

Dawn’s eyes are round as saucers when I thrust my hand under her nose, showing her the ring. “Oh my God, that’s real??” Her eyes bounce from my hand to my face and back again. “Holy shit, Buffy, I thought it was costume.”

I laugh at her reaction, assuring her that they most certainly are real diamonds.

“Wow,” she breathes. “I just…wow. What does this mean?”

Even though it’s the same question that popped into my head the night he gave me the ring, I brush it off. “Does it have to mean something?”

She doesn’t answer right away. “I guess not,” she says finally. “I just don’t get it, Buffy. I mean, yeah, he gives you this beautiful ring, but right now he’s clearly on a date with another woman.”

“It’s not a date,” I insist. It can’t be a date. Spike loves me. He wouldn’t cheat on me. That argument would hold up a lot better if he wasn’t already cheating on his wife with me, but he doesn’t love his wife.

“It sure looks like one.”

“What do you want me to do, Dawn? Go over to his table and cause a big scene?”

Dawn doesn’t answer. Maybe, she finally gets that things aren’t always so cut and dry.

I look back over to Spike’s table, Dawn’s suspicions on the forefront of my mind. He and the brunette are toasting to something, and her lips graze his cheek before taking a sip from the champagne flute. I can’t stop thinking about how much it does look like a date, and what if her suspicions are right?

“I have to go home.”

Dawn reaches out to stop me. “No, Buffy, don’t go. We were having such a good time before.”

“I’m not feeling so great anymore.”

“We can go somewhere else. It’s too early to go home already.”

I reach for my purse, knocking my glass to the floor. The sound of the glass breaking is heard over the noisy chatter in the large room. I don’t need to look up to see his eyes on me.

“I’m sorry, Dawnie.” I plead with her with my eyes to understand. “I’ll call you tomorrow,” I promise her over my shoulder, as I rush out of the bar into the lobby of the hotel.

Outside the air is crisp. I rub my bare arms, as I walk down the street trying to hail a cab.

“Buffy!”

I pick up the pace, really not wanting to have this conversation right now. I really wish he hadn’t seen me.

“Buffy, stop!” He’s faster than me in my three-inch heels and catches up in a few quick strides. He’s standing in front of me now, blocking my path. “Are you okay?”

Am I okay? No, I am most certainly not okay. “I’m fine.”

“What was that inside? You dropped your drink and took off. You looked upset.” He looks genuinely concerned, and I’m almost sorry to have doubted him, but then I remember the busty brunette kissing him, and I’m fuming.

“What exactly was going on in there? Who’s the bimbo, Spike?” I back away from him and put my hands on my hips.

Spike sighs, running a hand through his hair. “That’s what this little outburst is about?”

“What little-?”

“The bimbo is a potential client who happened to just have inherited very expensive properties throughout the city. That—inside—is called a business meeting.”

His exasperated, condescending tone only makes me angrier. “Yeah, it seemed real professional. What are you gonna have to do to get her business?”

“This is ridic—“

“I saw her kiss you, Spike! And you weren’t exactly pushing her away!”

Spike grabs my arms, pulling me close to him, so I have no choice but to look up into his intense gaze. When he speaks, his voice is firm and low. “Buffy, I love you, but you haven’t got the first clue about business, so don’t go instructing me on how to conduct mine.”

I don’t even notice Spike’s Cadillac next to us until he opens the back door, ushering me inside. “Take her home, Charlie,” he barks out before closing the door.

I close my eyes, and lean my head against the leather seat, feeling hurt and a little foolish.