Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone, the idea for this story popped in my head while I was driving home from work so I just had to try writing it out to see what would happen. I hope you like it.
It was a day like any other for William Pratt. He was sitting behind the counter at the local bookstore where he worked with the newspaper spread out in front of him, looking through the ad’s for a place to rent. Normally, he would be diligently ringing up customers or restocking the shelves, but today the store was dead so he figured it’d be okay to get something accomplished while he waited for his shift to end.

The store was owned by his uncle Rupert and he’d been working there since he’d moved to Sunnydale from London five years ago. He had been a sophomore in high school at the time and had just suffered the loss of his mother, his only remaining parent, his father having passed when he was an infant. His mothers brother had been living in America for the last few years, and as his only remaining family, he had been sent to live with him.

It was the summer before his junior year of college, and even though he was a shy introverted young man, he was trying to turn over a new leaf and move to an apartment close to UCSunnydale in order to have more of the “normal” college experience. Closing himself off from the world by only focusing on his studies and barely leaving his uncle’s house was not what he wanted for his life any longer.

He was so engrossed in looking through the paper that he failed to here the bell chime alerting him to customers entering the store. He was in the middle of circling an ad he found the most appealing:

ROOMMATE WANTED
2 BEDROOM APARTMENT W/ 1 BATHROOM KITCHEN AND LIVING AREA
RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER FROM UCSUNNYDALE
COLLEGE STUDENT PREFERABLE – ANY GENDER
CALL THIS NUMBER FOR MORE INFORMATION

The sound of someone very close clearing their throat jolted him to attention.

“Sorry to interrupt you, but I’m kind of running late.”

The voice belong to the girl he had spent his high school years pinning away for, and being caught so by surprise all he could do was stare at her. Her name was Buffy Summers and she was the most beautiful girl he’d ever set his eyes on. Of course she never knew he even existed, much less what his name was.

“William? Are you okay?” She asked worriedly when all he did was stare at her with his entire face starting to turn beat red.

“Y-y-you know my name?” Was all he could seem to manage to get out, so completely surprised that she did actually know it, though she had never said a word to him in the 5 years they had attended school together. He immediately slapped his hand over his face at how utterly stupid that must have sounded. His glasses were knocked askew from this and clattered to the ground.

Before he realized what was happening, Buffy was behind the counter, picking up his glasses, and cleaning them off for him.

“Of course I know your name, we went to school together since high school! I’m sorry for startling you though. Here are your glasses, good as new!” She said and she handed them back to him and resumed her place on the opposite side of the counter.

“N-no don’t be s-s-sorry, I sh-should have been paying better attention to the c-c-clientele. Please forgive me and let me get you rung up and on your way.” William finally got out, happy that his stuttering let up as he went.

“Thank you, I’m just running late for my shift at the diner, but I had to stop for this book before I went.” Buffy said as she looked at him intently as he rung up her purchase.

“OH! That’s my apartment! Are you looking for a place to live William?” Buffy asked in surprise as she glanced down at the ad he had circled in the paper.

“Um, well I am- that is to say-uh I was looking to move closer to campus. If I had known it was your apartment, I wouldn’t have circled it.” When he looked up at her face after he said this however, he began to backtrack. “Not that I wouldn’t want to live with you –that is- I just figured y-y-y-you wouldn’t have b-been interested in, um living with uh me.” He hurriedly finished.

“Actually William, I think that might be a great idea, I was so worried I’d end up getting a complete stranger when I put out that ad. My last roommate just moved away and if your interested maybe you can come by tomorrow morning to look at the place and you can let me know if you want to live with me.”

Williams mouth was hanging open, astounded that she would WANT to live with him. He was at a loss for words.

“I’ve got to run though, to catch my shift, but I’ll see you tomorrow? Around 10am?” She said as she started to make her way towards the door. All he could seem to do was nod as she walked out of the shop.

William sat there, completely stunned at what had just transpired. The girl who had haunted him since he had first moved there had just invited him to come look at her apartment. Even more, she wanted to live with him.

Maybe his life was about to turn around after all.


Chapter End Notes:
Please tell me if you think this is intriguing so far. I hope its got potential!