Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Minx Delovely for all her help and for everyone who has been reviewing! They make my day!
It was the Saturday before school started again and Buffy was running around, straightening up the apartment for the little impromptu party she was throwing.

A few days earlier, when she and William had gone to go pick up their books, she had asked him if it would be alright if they had some of her friends over to close out the summer and reign in the new school year.

Since she worked the morning shift and wasn’t working again until tomorrow afternoon, she was readying the apartment for some fun times. Not many people coming, just Willow and Xander with their significant others, Oz and Anya. Faith was also going to stop by after she got off her shift at ten. William said he really didn’t have anyone to invite over, but was delighted to meet her friends.

William was just entering through the front door as she was setting up the folding table he had brought with him when he moved in.

“Do you need any help with that, luv?” William quickly came over to assist her in setting up the table between the back of the couch and the kitchen counter.

“Thanks! How was work today?” Buffy smiled at him and she dusted off her hands.

“It was rather boring, actually. Not many customers to help today. What do you use this table for anyway?” William was looking rather dubiously at the aforementioned object. He’d never been invited to a party before and had no idea what would go on.

“It’s for beer pong, of course. Can I tell you again how happy I am that you had a table to bring? It definitely beats making Xander take the closet door off its hinges to prop on top of two kitchen chairs, that’s for sure!” Buffy remembered how it had always been a production getting the game together before.

“Beer pong?” William carefully sounded out the words as if it were a foreign language to him.

“You’ve never played before? Oh, it’s lots of fun. It involves ping pong balls and cups set up like bowling pins slightly filled with beer.”

“What would be the point of this? Do you play for money?” William had no idea what she was talking about and was wondering if she was feeling alright. This game didn’t sound like it made a lick of sense.

“No, you play to make the other team drink!” Buffy said in a voice that implied ‘duh’, “Here let me try to explain it to you so you’ll be ready to play once everyone gets here. You can be on my team because I’m awesome.”

For the next half an hour Buffy explained to William the rules of the game. She set up empty cups on each side of the table in order to visually make him understand better.

“Can we maybe try and play one round together so I can put it all together?” William asked, understanding this strange game slightly better.

They only had a six-pack in the apartment, but Buffy had told her friends it was a BYOB, so there was much more on the way.

After playing a few rounds, and finishing off their beer, William had a much better understanding of the game. It turned out that he was actually pretty good at it once he got the hang of it.

People were going to start arriving in a few hours so Buffy and William washed out the cups they had been using and straightened out the rest of the apartment together. William had turned on some music while they were cleaning. Buffy had scrunched her noise up when she first heard the punk music blaring out of his speakers.

“I definitely wouldn’t have pegged you to listen to this type of music,” Buffy said to him in distaste.

“You’ve got to be kidding me, this stuff is great! Sex Pistols, The Clash, Ramones….they’re bloody classics!” William announced, surprised she obviously lack good music taste.

Buffy had never heard William talk so passionately about something before so she dropped the subject. If it was good enough to get that kind of reaction out of him, then she guessed she could give it a try.

By the third song, she was bopping around the room to the beat. Once her cleaning was done she went to her room to browse the internet until people started to arrive. William took that as a sign that they were done, so he went over and turned the music off.

He couldn’t have been more surprised when he heard her voice yell out from her room, “LEAVE IT ON!” and as an afterthought, “PLEASE!!!”

William laughed a bit at this; proud at himself for getting her hooked on his music and turned it back on.

***

Buffy was researching and downloading the music that William had been playing when her phone started ringing and vibrating next to her. The display said: WILLOW.

“Hey Will, what’s up?” Buffy yelled into her phone since the music was still blasting. The only reason the neighbors weren’t complaining was because mostly college kids lived in this building and were all blasting their own music.

“We’re out in the hallway. We’ve been knocking on the door for five minutes, but I guess you couldn’t hear,” Buffy barely heard Willow say. She rushed out of her room, shouted into William’s that their guests were here and ran out to the living room.

She turned off the music and went to open the door. On the other side, four faces stared back at her.

“I’m so sorry guys! I didn’t realize the music was too loud to hear the door over!” Buffy stepped out of the way for Xander and Oz to move through first. Each had their arms loaded down with a case of beer.

“You should really be more alert when you have people coming over, Buffy. This was rude. But it was nice to watch their muscles bulge while they were holding the beer,” Anya said as she walked past Buffy, “so I can’t really be too upset over it.”

Willow was the last through the door and just smiled at Buffy.

“What were you listening to? Did not sound like your usual Britney Spears.”

“Oh, it was William’s music. I actually liked it a lot after I decided to give it a chance. When you called I was researching the bands and downloading the music onto my iPod. I guess I just got caught up in it. So are you ready to party?” Buffy closed the door behind Willow and they headed over to where Anya was standing next to the kitchen, watching Oz and Xander load up the refrigerator.

“Do you think you guys brought enough beer?” Buffy asked as she took in all the beer they’d brought.

“Gotta be prepared for some major partying, Buff. You should know this by now.” She heard Xander’s voice filter out from inside the fridge.

Buffy heard a throat clear from behind her and turned around to see William standing awkwardly in entrance to the hall.

“Oh! Where are my manners today? Guys, this is William! William, you might remember Xander and Willow from high school. This sexy blonde next to me is Anya, Xander’s better half” – a shout of “HEY!” came from inside the fridge but everyone ignored it-“and this is Willow’s boyfriend Oz.”

Xander made his way out of the arctic and shook William’s hand after Oz released it. Anya had smiled at William as she examined him.

“You have sexy blue eyes,” Anya said bluntly. Xander gave her a betrayed look and William’s face was beet red, “it’s a shame they’re blocked by your glasses.”

“Uh-um th-thank you?” was all William could think to reply. Anya just shrugged, grabbed a beer and went to settle herself on the couch.

Willow and Buffy went to sit with Anya, beers in hand, as the guys milled around the kitchen talking.

Xander handed William a beer of his own for which he nodded his appreciation.

“So….ugh how have you been William? It’s been a while since high school…” Xander trailed off, at a loss as of what to talk about.

“Oh, I’ve been well; this is probably the most interesting thing to happen since high school really. I know that must sound utterly pathetic though.” William really didn’t know what else to say either, admitting that his life had been so mediocre was rather embarrassing.

“Don’t worry about it, man,” Oz said with a wave of his hand, “was that your music we heard playing when we were waiting for Buffy to open the door?”

Happier with this new topic, William took a drink from his beer before answering, “Yeah, I was forcing Buffy to listen to it. At first she seemed displeased, but upon listening to it, her music taste may have just improved.”

“I heard The Clash playing, that’s some good stuff. I’m surprised Buffy even gave it a try, she’s mostly Top 40,” Oz replied, impressed with William’s taste.

“That was an X-box I saw connected to Buffy’s TV, wasn’t it?” Xander broke in with his own line of conversation, not having much to say about music.

“Um, yeah. I’m really into all the Call of Duty games. I like playing live with people I don’t know,” William replied, not phased by the change of subject.

“Oh, man! I love those games too! Maybe we’ve played against each other before,” Xander was really happy he’d brought this up; this was his kind of conversation.

All three got really heated in talking about video games after this and exchanged gamer tags so that they could play each other live in the future.

As they continued talking and drinking, William felt more and more comfortable in their company. It turned out that Xander and William also shared and interest in comics. Xander was thrilled over this information since none of his other friends were into them at all.

By the time beer pong was suggested, William had gotten used to Anya’s bluntness and the dynamics of the group. Oz had talked to him about music some more once Xander started setting up the game; they had a lot of the same favorite bands, as it turned out.
For the first time in his life, he felt like he fit in.

***

An hour later, the boys had decided to abandon beer pong. Xander wanted to play X-box instead. William and Xander were playing a game together with people from around the world while Oz watched contemplatively.

Anya and Buffy were in a heated game of beer pong when Faith entered the apartment. The boys didn’t seem to notice her appearance as she sauntered over to the girls.

“Hey there, sexy girl,” Faith said as she went to give Buffy a kiss. Buffy turned at the last second and Faith ended up kissing her cheek. Faith gave her a confused look, but let it go for now, not the kind of thing you hashed out in public at a party.

Instead, Faith gave both Willow and Anya hugs before she went over to say hello to the boys. Willow and Anya were both looking at Buffy curiously, having seen this exchange. They had never seen her not openly affectionate with Faith and were wondering why all of a sudden she seemed shy about it. They didn’t say anything though and Buffy and Anya returned to their game.

“Hey boys, how goes it?” Faith asked as she plopped down on the couch next to William. They had seen each other only one other time since their initial meeting, but they were a little more comfortable with each other.

William and Xander barely looked away from their game and mumbled ‘hey’s’ to her. Oz saluted her with his beer and offered to get her one.

“You’re the man, Oz,” Faith replied as she sat back and got engrossed in watching the game.

Oz came back over with Faith’s drink and it wasn’t long until Oz was watching the game again and Faith was yelling things at the screen.


***
It was one in the morning by the time Buffy was able to drag Faith away to talk. The boys were still playing video games and Anya and Willow had made their way over to watch as well.

Faith hadn’t been ignoring Buffy, but she was definitely being chilly with her. Buffy knew she had to try and smooth things out between them before it got worse. She couldn’t honestly understand why she had turned away. It had been a knee jerk reaction at the time, but she regretted it as soon as it happened.

“So care to explain what the hell is up with you, B?” Faith was not one to skirt around an issue.

“I don’t know, I’m so sorry baby. I didn’t mean to turn away, I have no idea why I did,” Buffy was looking at Faith earnestly, hoping she’d forgive her.

“Is there someone else?” Faith asked suspiciously.

“NO! No! Of course there isn’t! I would never do that to you!” Buffy was shocked that Faith would even ask her that.

Sure she had always had a strong attraction to William, and sometimes she thought what if, but didn’t most people wonder that at times? It didn’t mean she would act on it, she was with Faith. She hadn’t told William that fact yet because she had been focusing on getting to know him first and building up a friendship. She would never be ashamed of what she had with Faith. If it wasn’t for Faith—well she wasn’t going to get into that now. She needed to focus on damage control.

“Then what is it? Did I piss you off or something?” Faith was still not dropping it. As Buffy thought for a moment the silence between them was deafening, or it was until the sound of the toilet flushing broke it.

“No, you didn’t do anything. I was just being stupid. My hormones are a little off; I think I’m going to get my period soon. You know how much I love you,” Buffy pulled Faith to her and kissed her passionately to show her how much she meant those words. They broke away for a second, panting and Buffy continued, “you know I wouldn’t be anything if it wasn’t for you.’

This seemed to be what Faith needed to hear as they went back to kissing.

***

William was really enjoying himself with Buffy’s friends. He felt like he was part of something, and that feeling was amazing. He was happily buzzed and still playing the game with Xander when his bladder made itself known. He paused the game and handed it off to Oz who seamlessly resumed it as William headed for the bathroom.

As he was passing Buffy’s open door, he could hear her inside talking to Faith. He was so focused on his mission to relieve himself that he did not pay it any mind.

He sighed out his relief once he had finished, feeling so much better. He flushed the toilet before he went over and washed his hands. His buzz had waned with his relieving himself, but that was a problem easily solved by their loaded fridge.

He was exiting his bathroom when he heard Buffy say, “You know I wouldn’t be anything if it wasn’t for you.”

As he came up on her door he saw her in a passionate embrace with the last person he expected.

His dream girl was kissing another girl! Said other girl was now grabbing his dream girls’ breast and making her moan! As shocked as he was by this turn of events, he felt himself get instantly hard at seeing them caress each other, lips sealed together.

After another moan came out of Buffy, William came back to himself and started moving down the hallway again, not wanting them to catch him staring like a moron.

He headed into the kitchen for another beer. It was also an excuse to try and get control of his body. He was unable to get the image of them out of his head, however. It was a very bittersweet feeling he was experiencing. On one side, he was upset at finding out that not only was Buffy taken, but she was taken by another woman. He had thought he’d had slim to no chance before he knew she was gay, now he obviously had no hope at anything but friendship. But on the other, he could not seem to stop himself from being incredibly turned on by the prospect of seeing them together.

When he finally got some control over himself, he headed back to his seat on the couch. He sat quietly for a minute, sipping his beer before saying, “Buffy and Faith are-”

Anya cut him off before he could finish, “Did they make up? I hope so, they’re so good together.”

“Yeah, I hope they did too,” came from Willow.

William had no idea what they needed to make up from, but it was obvious to him that it was common knowledge they were an item, “Looks like they have.”


Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts????? ;o)