Author's Chapter Notes:
I have the next chapter for you guys. We're still in the Master's lair and neither Spike nor Angelus are enjoying it much :)



Thanks to Puddinhead and All4Spike for beta reading this and any mistakes left are mine. Thanks to everyone reading, reviewing and fuelling the muse.

St. Petersburg 1901

January...

Spike rolled over onto his side, grumbling to himself about the cold slab of stone beneath him. The thin sheet between his body and the surface of his bed did little to mask the fact that he was attempting to sleep on a rock. Sighing, he shifted onto his back again and stared up at the damp patch above him.

He had never been keen on the posh lifestyle Angelus favored, but he would at least have preferred a proper bed. Hell, even a camp bed would be more comfortable. The Master had only one bed in the cave, and he had given that to Darla and Dru. Since the Master spent more time in his throne room than anywhere else, Angelus and Spike had no choice but to share a tiny chamber with small ledges carved out of the walls serving as beds.

And that's another downside to this little arrangement, Spike thought, glancing over at the Angelus' back huddled beneath a flimsy blanket on the ledge opposite.

Sharing a room with that ponce. It's bad enough I have to travel the world with his disapproving glares and empty threats hangin' over me everywhere we go, now I have to share a room with him too? Too much time in a confined space with him and one of us is goin' to end up dust.

Spike flipped over onto his stomach and glared down at the green rag posing as a sheet beneath him. It smelled funny. Spike sniffed with distaste and, folding his arms beneath him, rested his chin on a forearm, thinking.

Wonder what this grand plan of Batface's is then? Don't s'pose he'll be sharin' anytime soon. Least not 'til Angelus is firmly under his thumb.

Spike narrowed his eyes.

And we've all sworn our allegiance to him. Last thing I want is to owe loyalty to that twisted bastard.

The glint of red from his ring caught Spike's attention and he raised his head to examine it again. The sharp points of the red A symbol glared up at him from the black setting, reminding him of a pair of glowing red eyes staring coldly into him. He wondered briefly why Darla had one but Angelus and Dru were ringless.

When he thought about it, the Master's contempt for Angelus and his arrogant ways probably explained why he hadn't earned himself an official ring, declaring him to be part of the Master's family. Since Dru was Angelus' childe, the Master was probably unwilling to give her that special honor too. Spike, on the other hand, was at odds with Angelus, and bestowing the ring on him was a way for the Master to slight the sod. Killing a Slayer might have earned him the right, but chances were it was the former reason that swayed the Master's decision. It figured that Batface would use Spike as a way to slight the great git.

Spike exhaled angrily and flipped over to his back again, swearing when his elbow scraped against the wall. There was a loud growling sound before Angelus' voice boomed around the tiny chamber.

"Spike, stop moving around and go to sleep before I chain you to that blasted slab!"

"Thought Darla had the chains with her, unless she's handed them over to the Master. He looks like the sort that could always use more chains."

Another loud growl accompanied by a threatening snarl came from the lump beneath the blanket.

"I'm not going to warn you again. Go to sleep!"

Spike smirked, ready to retort in his typical snarky manner when he decided there wasn't much point. They were obviously going to be stuck here for the next few days at least, and there was no need to antagonize the git unnecessarily.

"Useless, arrogant, sorry excuse for a vampire," Angelus muttered, pulling the blanket around him even more.

Then again…

"Well, thank god for that. If I had to listen to you yammer on about all the nasty little punishments you had in store for me if I didn't go to sleep, I wouldn't have been able to hear myself think."

"Spike," Angelus warned.

"I mean how many empty threats can you come up with anyway? Let's see, my last count was a hundred and thirty two and that's just since we left China. Sooner or later you're going to run out."

"Spike!"

"Haven't you ever heard of pacing yourself?"

The blanket flew up into the air and Angelus rose from his ledge, his hair mussed from being under the blanket. He glared daggers at Spike who couldn't resist a chuckle at the ridiculousness of Angelus' hairstyle.

"Pity you don't have a reflection, mate. You should see yourself right now. Don't think they'd let you in the Country Club sportin' that look."

Angelus vamped out and made a dash for Spike who rolled off the ledge before Angelus could reach him. The larger vamp collapsed against the hard rock, banging his enormous forehead against the wall. Spike got to his feet and turned around to see Angelus clutching his head and groaning. He couldn't help himself. He burst out laughing.

"That does it. I've had it with your games, William!"

Angelus went for Spike's throat. Spike dodged and kicked Angelus in the ribs, sending him crashing into the opposite wall.

"My name is Spike or are you already that forgetful, old man?" Spike taunted.

Spike was caught off guard when everything suddenly went black. He barely had time to register the fact that Angelus had tossed his blanket over Spike's head and that was why the lights had gone out, before he was knocked backwards violently, crashing to the floor. When he finally extricated himself from the musty blanket he was met by a pair of angry golden eyes as Angelus grasped him by the throat with both hands and squeezed.

Spike gasped. He never could grow accustomed to not breathing and even though choking couldn't kill a man who was already dead, it still hurt like hell, and he panicked. He grabbed at Angelus' meaty hands, trying to pry them off his neck while Angelus grinned down at him, thoroughly enjoying his discomfort. Spike growled and kneed Angelus in the groin which was very effective at wiping the smile off the bastard's face.

"Aargh! You dirty bastard. I'll wring your blasted neck yet you prick."

"No place for fightin' fair amongst vampires," Spike spat, kicking Angelus off him.

Angelus landed on the floor with a thump and Spike got to his feet. He hadn't been on his feet for two seconds before Angelus kicked out, sweeping Spike's legs from under him and sending him crashing back to the floor again.

"Ow!"

"You'll do a lot more than say 'Ow!' when I'm done with you, Willie-boy."

"Don't fucking call me that!"

Spike vamped out and they went for each other, colliding and rolling along the floor until they hit a wall. Spike ended up on top but Angelus punched him hard in the face. Spike retaliated by biting Angelus on the arm, making him roar in pain. Angelus smashed his fist into Spike's kidney to make him let go, then punched him again, making Spike fall sideways and off him. Spike's fist was drawn back, but just before he let fly into Angelus' grinning face, the door to their small chamber slammed open. Both vampires looked up, startled.

Andrei, the Master's minion, stood in the doorway looking down at them both in confusion. They stared up at him, Angelus on his back, one hand gripping Spike's shirt and the other bunched into a fist in mid air, and Spike kneeling on the ground next to him, one hand holding Angelus' shirt by the collar, the other also a fist that was drawn back where he was preparing to punch his grandsire. Their vampire faces melted away and they continued to stare at Andrei, frozen in their positions.

"The Master wishes to see you. Meet him in the main chamber in five minutes." Andrei took one last look at the two vampires on the floor and shook his head, walking away and slamming the door loudly behind him.

Spike and Angelus stared at the door for a minute before slowly releasing each other and rising to their feet. Ignoring one another, they pulled on their jackets and straightened themselves up. Finally presentable, they turned and headed for the door, Spike reaching the handle first and swinging it open—only for them to get stuck in the narrow doorway.

They had attempted to pass through at the same time and instead successfully wedged themselves between the cold iron sides of the doorway. Sucking in his cheeks, Spike felt Angelus tense up next to him. Refusing to look at him, Spike raised his right arm and shifted back, grudgingly allowing Angelus to walk through ahead of him, knowing that if he hadn't, they'd have been stuck in that doorway for the rest of their immortal un-lives.

Angelus stormed through and rolled his shoulders, cracking his neck from side to side as though to relieve tension before carrying on towards the main chamber. Spike chewed on the inside of his cheek and slowly followed.

Oh yeah. One of us will definitely be dust soon if this keeps up.

Spike and Angelus walked into the main chamber and stood before the altar and the Master seated upon his throne. His eyes scanned them both, obviously taking in the trickle of blood on Angelus' brow and the early signs of bruising on their faces. He glanced at Andrei in the corner briefly, and his mouth twitched into a half smile before he turned back to his family members, all business once again.

"I trust you both enjoyed your brief…rest." He scanned their bruises again.

"Is there a reason you called us here? It's not yet nightfall," Angelus interrupted, in no mood for the Master's poor sense of humor and teasing.

"Yes, as a matter of fact there is," the Master answered, off-handedly. "I want you to get started on work. Andrei here will lead you to the tunnel, give you your equipment and you can work up an appetite before hunting tonight."

Angelus and Spike stared at him, dumb-founded. Eventually, Angelus shook his head and, scowling, questioned the unexpected command.

"Work? What work is there that needs doing now? What's so urgent you can't even let us kip for the day? We had a long journey to come here."

"From what I hear you have plenty of energy left that could be put to much more productive use than a dog fight. You're here to serve me. I've given you an order. Now go, get to work."

The Master flicked his hand at them dismissively just as another minion entered the room with a book and walked up to him, whispering to the Master who nodded, listening intently. Spike and Angelus remained in the room, unsure of what to do. Spike chanced a glance at his grandsire and reckoned he could see steam rising from his ears. His attention was pulled back to Andrei who moved to stand in front of them, a sadistic grin on his face.

"Follow me."

He turned and led them out into the outer chamber where four or five of the Master's minions stood gathered around, keeping guard and awaiting orders from their leader, who apparently slept very little.

Don't see why he even owns a bed if he's just gonna sit on that throne of his all day and night. Think he could let the family member with the newly acquired ring have the bed if he really wanted to shove it in Angelus' face.

There was more chance of Angelus bursting into song, of course. It was all to do with principle, and the Master would never give his comfy king bed to Spike and Dru. And he wouldn't have his precious Darla slumming it on a rock. Spike sighed as he had to change into his vampire face again as they weaved through yet another darkened tunnel in this honeycomb maze of caves beneath St. Petersburg.

As they walked further down the tunnel, they heard banging noises and the sound of breaking rock. Grunts and shouts reached their ears next and they could smell and taste dust in the air. The noises got louder until finally they turned a corner and saw the cause. Several minions were working on expanding a chamber as large as the main one. Crates of tools and carts filled with chunks of rock rested against the walls. Support beams were being secured in place, ensuring that the roof didn't cave in on them as they dug farther and farther into the tunnel.

Andrei walked over to a crate, grabbed a couple of pickaxes and tossed them at Angelus and Spike. Both vamps reflexively caught the tools then stared down at them, bewildered. Andrei grinned again.

"Get to work."

Angelus snarled and shoved the pickaxe against the minion's chest, but Andrei refused to take it. "I don't do manual labor," Angelus growled out.

"Eh, make that we," Spike added.

Andrei glanced down at the pickaxe and then shoved it back at Angelus the same way he'd done to Andrei.

"Well the Master says, 'you do now,' so get," Andrei let go of the pickaxe and stepped back, smugly, "to work."

"I'm not some lowly minion," Angelus insisted.

Andrei didn't even bothering answering. He looked behind him at the vampire's still hard at work.

"Gregor, Ivan, break time."

Two vampires ceased attacking the rock wall and dropped their tools into a nearby crate. They followed Andrei out of the tunnel, sneering at Spike and Angelus as they passed. Spike growled at them, then looked down at the pickaxe in his hand and over at Angelus who was doing the same.

"Riiiight. Nice little trip home to the folks you brought me on. What now, oh fearless leader?"

Angelus stripped off his jacket and shirt and glared at the wall as if it were an enemy. "We work."

Spike's eyes practically leapt out of his head as he watched Angelus stride up to the wall and begin whacking at it with the pickaxe, chips of stone whizzing by his face as he beat the stone wall into submission.

"Oh you are joking aren't you? What happened to not being some lowly minion? I thought being members of the Clan exempted us from this kind of work or does every day old fledge get one of these?" Spike asked, holding up his left hand and wiggling his ring finger, the red A glinting in the dim torchlight.

Angelus turned around with a deadly serious look on his face.

"There's nothing to be gained from confronting him now. This is all part of his welcome home. He's putting us to work to see how agreeable we'll be. I'll let it slide this time, but if he thinks I'm doing this tomorrow, I know where the sharp end of this," he held up the pickaxe threateningly, "will be going."

"Don't you mean the wooden part," Spike replied with a snort, as if he believed Angelus would actually take on the old man.

"Wouldn't want to kill him before I find out what he's up to," Angelus answered with a wry smile, turning back to the wall to give it another good whack.

Spike rolled his eyes. He knew it. Angelus was hooked in by the Master's bait. He was no better than an ass that'd had a carrot dangled in front of its nose, never noticing the heavy cart it was dragging behind it. Single minded and stubborn. Yep, an ass was precisely the right description for the ponce. Grumbling to himself Spike shrugged out of his coat and joined Angelus, deciding the best course of action was to go along with the Master's wishes, at least until Angelus figured out he wasn't likely to get any answers from the git.

***

Being a vampire didn't make the work any less back breaking. They'd been working for hours and the lack of sleep meant fatigue was quickly setting in. They'd made good progress considering they were already tired and hungry before they'd started, but both were fed up with the monotony of work that had no end in sight. Why they were even expanding this maze was beyond Spike, and Angelus had no clue either, since he told Spike to shut up and keep working when asked. Spike had stripped to his waist long ago and the two of them stood there covered in dust and dirt. Spike actually longed for his stone slab in their cramped chamber. He reckoned he could sleep on a bed of nails just now and not even care. As he wiped dust from his eyes, he faintly registered the presence of another vampire behind them.

"You can stop now."

Angelus and Spike turned. It was Andrei again. He must be one of the Master's favorites.

"Well it's about bloody time," Spike said, tossing the pickaxe into a crate and grabbing his shirt.

Angelus did the same, not speaking, merely awaiting more instructions from Andrei. Spike wasn't used to him being so quiet. He glanced from Angelus to Andrei as they stared each other down, each looking as if they expected the other to whip out a stake any second.

"What?" Spike asked, annoyed.

He was sick of these little pissing contests between Angelus and the Master's minions. For someone who didn't want to sink that low, Angelus was acting an awful lot like he cared whether the Master valued him more than his worshippers or not. Andrei turned away from Angelus and looked down his nose at Spike.

"The Master wants to speak to you. Get cleaned up."

With that, the little prick stalked off back up the tunnel. Spike growled and tugged his shirt on, swiftly locating his jacket and thrusting his arms into the sleeves. He swept his hair out of his face and kicked at a lump of rock at his feet, sending it crashing against a cart. The sound of it banging against the metal reverberated around the chamber and made dust fall from the beams above their heads.

"Snobby, little, self righteous prig. He's lucky I don't tear that little head of his clean off. Shoving it up his arse would be an improvement, if it wasn't already stuck up there. Clean up," Spike snorted. "Like there's anywhere to get cleaned up down here."

"Come on, best not to keep the Master waiting," Angelus said, leading the way.

"What is the matter with you, eh?" Spike asked, as he hurried after Angelus. "You know he's not gonna tell us anything. He's toying with us. Watchin' us run around doing his bidding while he has a good laugh. We shouldn't even be here. I'm a true Aurelian now, bloody fantastic, but if that means I have to mine away in some smelly rotten tunnel next to the sewers for a vampire that's lucky he can't see his reflection for eternity, I'd rather pass on that honor thank you very much."

Angelus stopped and sighed, rubbing a hand over his face before turning back to Spike.

"Do you ever shut your trap?"

Spike's mouth opened instantly but a meaty finger held up to his face silenced him.

"Never mind, I know you don't. Look, Spike, I'm no happier about this than you are. I'm playing by the Master's rules, for now. If I start something, we'll be put right back to work, and if we refuse, we'll be tossed out in the cold without Darla or Dru. We go, we feed, we come back, possibly rest, and sort out our rightful status here later, understood?"

Spike scowled in response. Angelus gave him a warning glare for a few seconds before continuing towards the main chamber. Spike gritted his teeth and kept any further complaints to himself, for now.

***

Darla and Drusilla seemed surprised to see them enter from the outer chamber instead of from their sleeping quarters, and equally surprised to see the state they were both in, caked as they were in dirt.

"Where have you two been?" Darla enquired from her place perched on a low stool next to the Master. Drusilla, on her other side, was busy petting one of the dolls she carried everywhere.

Angelus and Spike both dropped their vampire faces as they entered, not quite so willing to succumb to all the Master's wishes by granting him that symbol of appreciation. Old Batface's nose wrinkled as much as it could but he said nothing, one arm propping up his head in a bored manner.

"Oh, we've just been helping out the Master with some important digging," Angelus said, holding his head up and waiting to catch the Master's eye.

"All day?" Darla asked in disbelief.

"We had some spare energy," Angelus answered, giving her a quick glance before turning his attention back to the Master.

"Oh," Darla said. "Good…I suppose."

"It looks like you boys worked up quite the appetite. You'd best take the ladies out for something to eat. They're a little peckish," the Master said, grinning at Angelus and Spike as he took in their filthy clothes.

Figures. All he wants is to drop us down a peg or two. Rub our noses in the dirt because we're prettier than him, Spike thought, wondering how soon he could convince Dru to abandon the others and get the hell out of St. Petersburg. Maybe if I bought her a new doll? Somethin' really nice, with a frilly dress?

"You don't want us to bring anyone back for you?" Angelus asked, in what Spike supposed was his most pleasant tone, but which somehow still came across as arrogant.

"I have plenty of people around to do that for me. After all, I don't expect a direct member of my line to perform such a menial task as catering for me," the Master responded with a wicked gleam in his red eyes.

Spike scoffed, but luckily Angelus hid the sound with his own snort of outrage. Balling his hands into fists, Angelus took a menacing step forward but the Master didn't even blink.

"So what was all that about earlier? We're too good to fetch you a meal but not to serve as digging moles?"

"That's entirely the point, Angelus," the Master retorted, his temper flaring at last. "You've done nothing but dig a hole for yourself since you entered the Order. You think by coming here and further insulting me, testing my patience, I'd treat you as anything other than the filth you are?"

"You have something planned. I'll stand by you, but only if you let me in on this big secret. I was wrong to insult you, I'll grant you that," Angelus said.

Spike spluttered and gaped at his grandsire. He couldn't believe he'd just heard Angelus admit he was wrong. The rest of the room reacted in much the same way; even Angelus himself seemed surprised. The only one unaffected was Dru who was humming to herself while stroking her dolly's hair.

"But you can't treat me like a slave much longer. I'm one of the most feared vampires in existence," Angelus went on, persuasively, "I can help you. Whatever you're plotting, if every member of the Clan is by your side, don't you think you'd be unstoppable?"

He talks up a show, have to hand him that. Spike thought, as he watched the Master consider the proposal.

Angelus paused, studying the Master intently. Spike could see the flicker of satisfaction in Angelus' dark eyes. He knew that look. It was sheer evil intent fuelled by self confidence. The broody bastard could be a cocky git most of the time, but when he got that look, he was usually right about the results.

Convincing prick.

"Treat us like some common worshippers," Angelus continued, meeting the Master's eyes again, "and we walk. I'll take my women and go."

Spike coughed loudly, glaring pointedly at Angelus and the Master quirked an eye in his direction with amusement. Angelus rolled his eyes and placed his hands on his hips, adding a long, dramatic, put upon sigh for effect.

"And Spike," he added, reluctantly.

"What makes you think they'll go with you?" the Master asked, his eyes falling on Darla.

It was obvious she was the one they were really discussing. She was the prize. Drusilla and Spike were merely caught on the sidelines. It was Darla the Master cherished.

"It wouldn't be the first time I've stolen from you," Angelus answered, his eyes, too, landing on the reason for their rivalry.

Spike made his way over to Dru, stepping behind her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and leaned forward to rest his chin on her shoulder while she rocked herself and hummed. She reached a hand up behind her to pet his neck tenderly then continued to stroke her doll, both of them observing the unspoken battle over the blonde vampiress.

"Very well," the Master conceded, sliding back in his throne, "I'll let you in on my secret."

Angelus grinned, gleefully. He threw a satisfied smirk at Spike, who simply rolled his eyes, before facing the Master again. The Master held up a hand to signal that he wasn't finished yet.

"However, you'll have to wait until I've fed. I suggest you take the women and," he glanced at Spike, "Spike, and do the same. Have yourselves a nice long rest, and then we'll discuss it."

Angelus didn't seem very pleased with having to wait. He paused momentarily before nodding his acquiescence. The Master waved them away and Angelus spun to face Darla.

"Let's go." He began walking toward the outer chamber when Darla called him back.

"Angelus."

He turned.

"This way," she said, smiling as she pointed to a dark corner behind her that Spike realized was another passageway. "I'd rather not take the sewer exit."

The Master gave a smirk and Spike huffed. It was too bloody typical of the Master to make them trudge through the sewer when he had another entrance. Angelus growled, before storming past them and leading the way through the more pleasant exit.