Author's Chapter Notes:
First of all, I want to say a huge thank you to whoever nominated me at the Sunnydale Memorial Awards. It means a lot!



Secondly, there will be two updates on this story this week. So expect another chapter on Thursday.



Thanks as ever to my wonderful betas Puddinhead and All4Spike and to all of you reading and reviewing this fic.



This is where the story starts to deviate more from canon. I hope you continue to enjoy it as things go very AU for a while.

Escape

St. Petersburg 1901

January...

"We should just take off," Spike whispered into Dru's ear. "We don't need them anyway. They have issues they have to work out; there's no reason for us to be held back waiting for them. We can get a head start, meet up with them later. C'mon, luv. Come with me now."

Spike tugged gently on his sire's hand, trying his best to convince her to leave with him before Batface's boys discovered them hovering in the exit tunnels. Drusilla just wagged a finger at him as though scolding a naughty child.

"Bad Spike. Daddy and Mummy will be cross if we leave. Not nice to split our happy family in two."

Spike just sighed. Dru would be the one thing that held them together. The rest of them were a hairsbreadth away from tearing out each other's throats and only his Dark Princess could think that theirs was a happy family. When a grin begin to cross her lips, he turned to see Angelus' larger than normal bulk heading towards them through the narrow tunnel. Blinking in surprise, Spike realized the reason his grandsire's form appeared so much larger was because he had Darla slung across his shoulder.

"You two better be ready. I'm not waiting around any longer," Angelus said, brushing past them.

"You're not waiting around?" Spike asked, but didn't sound quite as indignant as he might have if the sight of Darla bound and, Spike noted with amusement, gagged, wasn't so very satisfying.

Let's hear you caterwaul for your precious sire now, bitch.

"Ooh," Dru said, clapping her gloved hands excitedly. "I love when Daddy plays this game."

Darla ceased wriggling in Angelus' arms long enough to glare at Dru, the gag muffling whatever oaths she was attempting to hurl at the dark vampiress. Spike grinned and pulled Dru against him as they followed Angelus out of the tunnels.

"Yeah, me too, ducks," he said, winking at Darla when she shot her icy glare in his direction.

They emerged from the tunnels into the blistering cold and wind, but even the unpleasant temperature did little to dampen three of the vampires' moods once they were above ground again. It was always a relief to get away from the claustrophobic, damp, and dreary burrow the Master and his minions had dug for themselves. Spike was looking forward to spending the night in a nice soft bed for once, with Dru for company instead of his bad tempered git of a grandsire.

"Come on, we need to get as far away as we can before the Master realizes we aren't coming back and sends his boys after us," Angelus said, adjusting Darla over his shoulder. "We'll take a train to Moscow first and decide where to go from there. I don't want to deal with Russian border security right now."

You mean you don't want to deal with it while Darla's kicking up a fuss. Much easier gettin' around when she's on your side and not tryin' to make a run for it, Spike thought as he nodded in agreement. He would keep his thoughts to himself for now. No need to piss the old man off until they could relax again.

The weather didn't help their journey. It started to snow not ten minutes after they'd begun walking the streets hoping to find a cab or a car they could take. They soldiered on, but soon the snowfall was turning into a blizzard and they had to retreat indoors. It would be insane to continue meandering around the dark city streets with no visibility, and just because they weren't as susceptible to the cold as humans, it didn't mean walking outside in a blizzard would be any more pleasant or less painful.

With no other option, Angelus led them to an alley next to a hotel where he handed Darla to Spike and Dru, warning them to keep hold of her while he checked them in. Better to avoid spilling unnecessary blood until they were far enough away that the Master couldn't track them.

Safely upstairs in their adjoining rooms, the vampires were content to sacrifice a full stomach for a warm, cozy bed, and Spike and Angelus were more than happy to have some distance from each other for a change. Sinking into the covers with a happy groan, Spike held his arms out for Dru to join him when a smashing sound came from the wall behind him. Dru cocked her head and Spike did likewise as they stared at the striped wallpaper which remained silent. Just as Spike was about to look away, muffled voices drifted through the wall, rising in volume. There was another smashing sound followed by a thud and then more voices. Spike snorted and smiled at Dru.

"Sounds like those two are working out their differences."

"Angelus will turn her head again. Our life is far more beautiful than the Master's games. He won't find what he seeks yet, and that way lies a prison of stone and torturous waiting. Waiting for her." A frown appeared on Drusilla's face again. "Always waiting for her."

"Pet?"

"Vile sun, burning all the darkness. It destroys and it bleeds and it burns all to ashes," Dru spat with venom.

"Hush, love," Spike said, pulling her onto the bed. "Don't dwell on that now. It's been far too long since we've been alone together. Be here with me now, Dru."

Drusilla twisted in his embrace and stroked one cheek tenderly, giving him a contended smile.

"My Spike. You will stay with me, won't you? My boy wants his Wicked Plum and nothing else."

Spike grabbed her hand with his and kissed the tips of her fingers softly, bumping her forehead with his own.

"Always, Dru. You don't have to worry, luv. I'm always with you, wherever we go."

Drusilla smiled wider and kissed him.

"You will come back to me," she said confidently.

Spike wasn't given the opportunity to wonder what she meant as she pushed him down on the bed again, kissing him to cut off any further questions. The noises from the other room continued as Angelus and Darla fought, but Spike and Dru paid them little heed. They were used to it. It felt good to be back in familiar surroundings, Spike thought, groaning as Dru nipped at his neck and slid down his body.

Really good.

***

Spike awoke to Dru staring down at him intently. He started at seeing her hovering above him when he'd just woken up. Slowly, he eased himself up onto his elbows and slid backwards until his back rested against the headboard. Drusilla rose from her perch and Spike noticed that she was fully dressed already.

"Uh, Dru? What—?"

"Time to go," she whispered, drifting across the room and pulling back the heavy drapes to look out at the dark street.

The door to their room swung open and Angelus peered in.

"Get dressed. We're leaving."

He ducked back out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Spike ran a hand through his hair.

"Right then."

He dressed quickly, casting glances Dru's way but she just continued to look out of the window, waiting for him. When he was ready she turned and smiled, holding her arm out to him. He took her hand and side by side they exited the room. Angelus and Darla were waiting for them in the hallway and silently they turned and led the way downstairs. Spike saw that Darla was unbound and un-gagged. Though Angelus had apparently managed to convince her to leave with them, she was unusually silent and refused to look at any of them. Angelus ignored her as well, though he kept a firm grip on her hand at all times. Maybe she wasn't quite so willing to leave as the old man would like just yet, but she obviously preferred being free to being trussed up and hauled about like game.

Spike tried to ignore the gnawing in his stomach. They would all be hungry, having not fed at all the night before. Since the Master would have realized by now that they had no intention of returning however, they had to get away from St. Petersburg before they could stop to feed, lest they encounter a fight and risk being captured or killed. Spike doubted that the Master would be patient enough to simply punish them and imprison them, at least as far as Angelus and Spike were concerned. He'd probably just kill them. Darla and Dru would probably be spared.

Spike squeezed Dru's hand, thinking about what she'd said. He would always find her, always come back to her. He would make certain they never had to worry about such a thing. Spike wouldn't allow himself to be separated from her in the first place.

They were just in sight of the train station when the attack came. A vicious snarl from behind them issued a warning; the band of four turned to see twenty of the Master's minions emerging from the darkness and glaring at them with yellow-eyed stares. Angelus sighed loudly. Spike positioned himself in front of Drusilla, a step behind Angelus. Just out of the corner of his eye, Spike saw Darla's lips curl into a smile.

Sadistic Bitch.

"Lads, do we really have to do this? I won't be at all pleased if you make us miss our train just to kick your arses three ways from Sunday," Angelus said in a bored tone.

One of their opponents stepped forward, his eyes gleaming, and grinned around his fangs. Spike recognized the vamp as one of the Master's favored pets, Andrei. No doubt the wanker was enjoying this. He must have leapt at the chance to go after Spike and Angelus. Clearly Andrei resented the unruly Aurelians who didn't appreciate what he must have seen as an honor, being a member of the Master's direct line.

"You really are far too conceited, Angelus. Do you really think you can escape the Master?"

Angelus chuckled and scanned the group of vampires, raising a hand to stroke his chin as if in serious thought.

"Let's see now, do I think I can take you dogs? Yes. Can I escape the Master?" Angelus shrugged. "Wouldn't be the first time. You're dedicated. I suppose I'll never really understand how he does that, but it doesn't matter. You should know better than to doubt me."

Andrei laughed and tipped his head at them.

"You know your orders," he said as the other vamps advanced, "kill Angelus and his boy. The women go to the Master."

"Oi!" Spike exclaimed.

Angelus snarled and Darla grabbed Dru's arm, pulling her back.

"Leave the boys to fight this one out, Drusilla. The winner will be the one who deserves our loyalty," she said, smirking at Angelus.

Angelus glared at her and turned back to their opponents. Spike frowned at Darla as she pulled Dru back then remembered what Andrei had said and scowled at the git.

"First," he said, raising a hand and making the vampires pause while Angelus turned to him in confusion. "I am not his boy," Spike said.

Angelus rolled his eyes but Spike ignored him. Andrei smirked.

"Second, if you think there's even a tiny chance I'm lettin' you take Dru back to Batface you're far more stupid than I gave you credit for."

Andrei laughed. "Foolish vampire. I'll tear that ring from you before I dust you. You're not fit to wear it!" He snarled and flew at Spike and the fight began in earnest.

Spike lost sight of Angelus as they were both surrounded by the black-clad vampires. Spike punched the oncoming Andrei in the gut, forcing the vamp backwards, his charge having increased the impact of Spike's fist when it connected. Spike snarled and performed a perfect spinning kick, sending the vamps around him sprawling to the snow-covered ground. Something leapt on his back causing him to stumble. Spike heard jaws snapping shut close to his neck and growled, reaching behind him to grab the vamp's arm and toss him over his shoulder. He kicked the downed vamp viciously before turning his attention to the next group.

"Don't suppose you have a stake I could borrow, do you mate?" Spike shouted to Angelus as he punched another of his attackers in the face.

"Wouldn't you know, I forgot to pack one," Angelus called back.

Spike grunted when one of his opponents landed a powerful kick to his side. Spike grabbed the offending limb, twisting until it snapped and one of the bastards howled. He shoved the injured one away and blocked the next blur of fists and feet aimed his way.

"Bloody useless you are!" Spike shouted back with glee, dropping low and sweeping his foot out, knocking his attackers to the ground—again.

He loved a good fight. Of course, it would be better if he wasn't starving and cold, but a good rough and tumble should warm him up and get enough adrenaline going to mask the hunger. No wonder there were so many vampires tracking them. The Master's minions were bloody stupid.

"I guess we'll have to do it the hard way," Angelus' voice called from Spike's right.

Spike heard the unmistakable cry of a dying vamp as it exploded into dust and grinned. He grabbed the next arm that flew his way and yanked on it, hauling the vamp closer and grabbed the bloke's head, twisting savagely. The vamp turned to dust as his head came free and Spike wiped the dust from his hands, looking for his next target.

"Don't you mean the fun way?" he asked, winking at the vamp he found himself facing who was eyeing the pile of dust at Spike's feet with a gulp.

"I believe I do," Angelus said, and Spike heard another vamp turned to dust. "That's two for me, boy."

"Don't call me boy," Spike snapped, simultaneously twisting another vamp's head off. "And that makes us even, ponce."

The fight continued with both Angelus and Spike being swarmed by groups of attacking vampires, their numbers the only thing hindering them all from attacking at once. They continued to keep score but as the fight went on, became more interested in staying alive than playing with their foes. Using just brute strength to dust the Master's minions was wearing both the Aurelian males down, and while they had made a significant dent in their opponents' numbers, there were still too many to continue to take on by hand.

"Why don't you just bugger off already?" Spike asked, kicking another vampire in the head and sending him flying sideways, only to hastily block a punch from another of the pricks.

"Isn't this what you wanted? Backs against the wall with nothing but your fists and fangs?" Angelus called as he broke one of his opponent's legs and shoved him aside.

"I'll make an exception for places that are icier than Darla's personality," Spike retorted, grunting in pain when a pair of fangs sliced into his arm.

"Aye, enough of this. We could have been halfway to Moscow by now," Angelus said.

Spike managed to force another attacking vampire away from him and began backing up with Angelus. The black-clad minions also took a few steps back to assess their quarry. Eleven of them remained, including Andrei standing at the front, snarling. Spike and Angelus were both tired and panting in the frosty air after the exertion. Without warm blood in their systems, the fatigue was fast overtaking them and if they didn't put an end to this fight soon they wouldn't stand a chance of surviving.

"Give up, Angelus," Andrei snarled. "Even if, by some miracle, you manage to kill us all, we are not the only group out searching for you. By now, the Master has already sent reinforcements. He will never allow you to escape. It is impossible."

"I think it's time for a new trick I've been hoping to try out," Angelus said to Spike, slipping a hand inside one of his pockets and withdrawing it slowly.

Spike narrowed his eyes, unable to see what Angelus was holding. Andrei jerked his head and the group of minions snarled, rushing the two Aurelians again, prepared to take down their prey this time. Angelus held his hand out to Spike, who looked at it completely baffled.

"What the—"

"Just take it," Angelus snapped, turning to glare at Spike.

Spike swore under his breath and reached out to clasp Angelus' hand, feeling a small wooden handle with a piece of wire attached to it press into his palm. Grabbing hold of it, he glanced at his Grandsire who smirked at him, clutching the other handle and letting the long loop of wire dangle down between them, too thin to be noticed by the oncoming vampires.

"You and your parlor tricks," Spike muttered, facing forward again, steeling himself.

Five vampires dashed forward carelessly, and in their eagerness to tear their foes to shreds, leapt at Angelus and Spike. With those leaders in mid air and the remaining vamps rushing forward with too much momentum to stop in time, Spike and Angelus parted like the red sea, pulling the wire taught between them. The startled vampires barely registered the razor sharp, metal line before it sliced through their necks, dusting them instantly.

Once the dust had settled, Spike and Angelus surveyed the scene before they met each other's eyes. Spike laughed and Angelus joined in. Angelus kicked at the filthy snow that now held the remains of the Master's order. A strangled cry behind them caught their attention. Spike and Angelus turned to see Andrei, left alone, staring at the dark patch on the ground.

"Well, well, looks like we missed one," Spike said with a smirk.

"I suppose he thought he'd sit back and enjoy the view," Angelus said. "Not quite the show he was expecting, I believe."

"You will suffer for this," Andrei spat, finding his voice again. "The Master will not let this go unpunished. You will never find rest again until he has stripped the payment for this from your hides!"

"Well, we don't plan on visiting the Master any time soon, so unless he wants to put his grand plan for destroying the world on hold to come and seek us out, he'll have to take the debt out of someone else's hide. Yours for example, since you failed him so spectacularly," Angelus responded.

Spike smirked at Andrei and laughed at the glare he got in return. Spike gave Angelus a quick nod, and they both turned to their women and headed to the station again. Darla scowled and jerked away from Angelus when he attempted to take her arm, sticking her chin in the air and striding forward primly. Angelus growled and stalked after her, grabbing her around the waist and tugging her forcefully to his side, ignoring her as she beat at his chest and tried to pull away. Spike placed an arm around Dru's waist and leaned into her as they followed the others, nuzzling her ear.

"My sweet boy, such a warrior you are," she said, cooing slightly as she petted his chest with one hand.

"I'll never see you put in danger, Dru. You're mine. The Master can just bugger off if he thinks he can take my Princess away."

"Oh, Spike, what a heart you have. Will it hurt, I wonder?"

Spike paused and brought Dru to a halt, spinning her to face him. He frowned, confused as he tried to read her eyes, but saw nothing there other than a childlike wonder and delight, as if they held a secret.

"Will what hurt, pet?" he asked.

Dru gave him a sad smile, placed her hand over his heart and studied it as if it were a puzzle she couldn't quite piece together.

"When it stops hiding," she said. "When the light finds it and won't let it go again. Even when the darkness tries to devour it, the light will be there, holding on. Will it hurt to have the sunshine so close?"

"Dru," Spike began, "what are you saying, sweet? I don't understand. The sun's not gonna—"

"Are you two going to keep prattling or can we leave now? Unless you want the Master to catch you?" Angelus shouted over at them from the station doors.

Spike glared at him. "Train's not in yet, just hold your bleedin' horses for a tick. Dru, luv—" he turned back around but Dru wasn't there.

Surprised he spun around until he caught sight of her off to his left. She was bending down to the snow. She picked some up in her gloved hand and rose, staring at it. Slowly she turned to Spike, fear in her eyes.

"It's all frozen, Spike. I made it cold and it hates me for it. Naughty girl. Must be punished. I don't want to go. Who'll look after Miss Edith if I do?"

"Drusilla, what are you doing?" Angelus roared.

Spike ignored him and watched his sire with growing confusion. She'd never acted like this before. She was trembling.

"Dru, pet, it's all right," he said, walking towards her.

"No!" she shouted, cutting him off and taking a step back. "No, I won't, won't do it anymore. I'll be good. Please don't make me leave. Don't make me. Nasty Powers want to take my toys away. It's not fair!" She stamped her foot petulantly and wailed. "It's not fair, it's not fair!"

"Spike, get her over here now!" Angelus ordered.

Spike held up both hands in a nonthreatening gesture, and tried to draw Drusilla's attention, speaking slowly and calmly. Sometimes she'd slip into her own hallucinations and Spike would have to calm her down, but he'd never seen her quite so distraught before.

"C'mon, pet. We have to go now. It isn't safe to stay here. No one's going to make you leave, not while I'm here. I promise, they won't take you back, but you have to come with us now, Dru."

Spike tried moving forward again and made it about five steps before she looked up at him again and stiffened.

"Oh," she said, and suddenly calmed.

Her unexpected stillness disturbed Spike and he paused mid step. She stared off into the distance and a resigned smile made its way across her lips.

"Time will come. All things happen for a reason." Her eyes met Spike's curiously. "Do you suppose I'll see them again? Everyone that Daddy took? I should like to join them for supper. I was too late when Daddy laid them out. Spike—"

Spike was aware of Angelus shouting at them, but he wasn't paying attention. Drusilla had captivated him. He'd never seen her like this before. What she was saying made no sense whatsoever, but the way she was looking at him, so thoughtfully, was probably the most lucid he'd seen her in all their time together.

"From beneath—" she started when something whizzed past Spike and hit Drusilla, pushing her backwards a step.

Drusilla glanced down and Spike felt his mouth go dry, his eyes widening as he saw the wooden shaft sticking out of her chest. She met his gaze again as the blackness spread across her face and in the next instant she exploded into dust.

"Dru!" Spike roared, as the dust floated to the ground.

Spike released a strangled cry at the site of his sire's remains in the snow and whirled around to see the cause. A much smaller group of the Master's minions had arrived, and two of them had crossbows, obviously not wanting to take chances without numbers on their side. Andrei was rushing to meet them eagerly. He turned and grinned at Spike.

"Spike!" Angelus shouted, and his voice sounded much closer now.

Spike just stared at the minions. A small vibration seemed to tremble up Spike's hand and arm, moving right through his body and he felt a chill go through his bones. He had a brief moment of confusion, wondering why he'd suddenly be noticing the cold when something inside him seemed to shatter. His demon howled and Spike crashed to his knees, pain and anguish tearing through him. He gasped for air he didn't need, his hands gripping the frozen ground, cutting his skin.

Through blurry eyes he saw the figures with crossbows take aim. He blinked in an attempt to clear his vision but a wall was starting to crumble within him. Something he hadn't known was there was falling to pieces and images flooded into his head, as well as something else—something that was strangely foreign yet also familiar. Spike cried out in pain again. He felt something grab him under the arms and tug, saw a crossbow bolt bury itself in the ground in front of him as he was dragged backwards. He heard a voice but had no clue what it was saying to him. More images and voices began pounding through his skull and it all started to bleed together until everything went black.