Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for all of the feedback, glad people are liking this story
Three - A Night Together

Buffy kept the hood up, covering most of her face. She didn’t want to run the risk of running into any of the soldiers.

She could feel Spike throwing looks at her, but she really didn’t want to talk about what happened.

“You were terrified back there.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. So much for not wanting to talk about it.

Spike grabbed her arm and jerked her to a stop in the middle of the Campus square.

Buffy growled and fixed her hood before looking up at him.

“You were going to dust me, I kinda wanna stick around for a few more years yet Blondie.”

Spike shook her head and didn’t realise as his hands moved to her shoulders.

“No, when I said I’d give you back… you were terrified.” He paused, and she just knew he was going to ask.

“What did they do that scared you so much?”

Buffy flinched as the memories flooded her system and didn’t notice the forms that were walking towards them.

Spike did though, and cursed under his breath at the interruption.

“Hey! Spike, man what ya doing standing in the middle of the street?”

Buffy froze her eyes going wide with terror as they bled to gold, her demon taking control.

It only took a second for Spike to realise what was happening before he pulled Buffy close and wrapped his arms around her, letting her hide her face in his chest.

It never even occurred to him that he held a demon so close to his heart.

Buffy though could hear his heart beating, even through the fear she felt trying to choke her, and she concentrated on the thump-thump, letting it sooth her demon enough for her human mask to fall into place.

“Hey, Forrest mate, just getting some alone time with my girl.”

Buffy hadn’t relaxed fully and he could feel her trembling against him. Whatever Forrest had done to her, she wasn’t forgetting it in a hurry.

Forrest shared a look with his three buddies before smirking back at Spike.

“We’ll just leave you two lovebirds to it them.”

He gave Spike the thumbs up before laughing as he left with his friends.

Spike waited until he could no longer see them before he stepped back from Buffy.

He tried not to think about how nice it was to have her pressed against him.

“So, its safe to say Forrest is one of the solder boys then.”

Buffy nodded sharply and let Spike pull her on to Willow dorm.

“Yeah. He’s one of them.”

Spike watched as Buffy huddled in on herself and wondered just what the other man had done to reduce this once fierce demon to this.

His mind could come up with only one thing. And he prayed he was wrong.

Looking at the vampire by his side again, he decided to hold his tongue for now. She hadn’t told them for a reason, and he would respect that.

For now.

~~~~~~~~~~

Willow invited Buffy inside with no fanfare, causing the blonde to roll her eyes.

These people were far too trusting for their own good.

“Okay, so I pulled up the employee database and the student one too, everyone that goes to this college are in those two files, from the janitors up.”

Spike smiled and kicked off his boots before lying down on Will’s bed.

“Thanks Will.”

Buffy took Willow’s seat at the computer and opened the file marked Employees.

Willow showed Buffy how to print out the ID’s of the people involved before picking up her book bag.

“I’m off, I’m meeting Tara to go over a few spells.”

Spike looked up from where he was flicking through a magazine, trying not to look like he had been reading ‘101 ways to satisfy your lover’.

“Okay Will’s, we’ll probably be here still when you get back.”

Willow gave him a kiss on the cheek before saying goodbye to Buffy.

Buffy looked up and gave the redhead a half smile before turning her attention back to the ID’s.

~~~~~~~~~~

The vampire sighed and rolled her neck, the muscles having cramped from sitting at the computer so long.

Her head turned to see Spike passed out on the bed, making little grumbly noises every now and then.

Smothering a smile, Buffy turned back to the printouts and flicked through them.

Eighteen so far, and all of them employees.

Standing, she stretched before eyeing the bed and its occupant.

She could really do with stretching her legs, but knew that if the Slayer woke up and she was gone, she’d be chained up again for sure.

Plus, they were on campus, and she didn’t want to run the risk of bumping into Forrest.

Sighing, she turned her attention back to the computer screen and opened the file marked students.

~~~~~~~~~~

Spike rolled over, wondering where he was, until he saw the blonde hunched over the computer screen.

Rolling his head, he spotted the clock, and wasn’t surprised to see it was after three in the morning.

He was surprised Willow hadn’t returned, but figured that she had crashed at Tara’s.

Silently, he got off the bed and made his way over to Buffy, casting his eyes over the printouts.

Looked like she had been busy.

He reached a hand out to nudge her shoulder hand found himself flung to the other side of the room.

He jumped to his feet, ready to retaliate, when he spotted Buffy, crouched on the floor, rocking backwards and forth, holding onto her head, her demon on show once more.

Spike sighed and dropped his fighting stance and made his way over to the downed vamp.

“Easy Buff, its just me.”

Buffy sat up straighter as the pain ebbed away and cursed a blue streak.

Spike had to bite back a smile as she went off on one and only then noticed who she had been looking at on screen.

Forrest Gates.

No wonder she was touchy.

Buffy followed his gaze before lowering her own and hitting print on the computer.

Spike watched his face come out of the printer and felt a strong urge to find Gates and teach him a lesson.

He took the page out of the printer and added it to the others Buffy had printed out before giving his full attention to the blonde vampire.

“What made you come back to town after the fiasco with the Gem anyhow?”

Buffy shrugged and kept looking through the pictures.

“Went to L.A, figured that you’d send the ring to Dru, but she didn’t know what I was talking about. Caught up with a few old friends and found myself heading back to Sunnydale.”

She didn’t think he’d wanna know that she hadn’t been able to get him outta her mind.

Spike snorted.

“Thought about giving the ring to Dru, but I figured that if she ever lost her soul again, well, it wouldn’t have been a smart move on my part.”

Buffy threw a look at him, wondering why he had decided to share.

“Makes sense, but way I figure it, took her a hundred and fifty years to find perfect happiness, what’s the chances of that happening again?”

Spike looked away,. He always felt like Buffy was looking into him rather than at him.

“So, what did you do with the ring?”

Spike looked back to see Buffy staring at him and smirked.

“Wouldn’t you like to know.”

Buffy grinned before turning back to the screen and freezing when she spotted another of the soldiers.

“Riley Finn, I know him too.”

Buffy pressed print and Spike added him to the ever growing pile.

“Where do you think they got the funding for this?”

Buffy shrugged but she had some idea.

By the time all the ID’s had been looked at, they had a pile of over fifty people.

Buffy eased back from the computer and sighed before standing up and looking at Spike.

“I’m done, can we go for a walk or something?”

He seemed to get that she was antsy and nodded, putting his boots and jacket on, watching as Buffy pulled on the borrowed hoodie.

~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy grinned as she watched Spike take on three vamps and sat on a grave stone to enjoy the show.

The Slayer seemed to get better every time she saw him fight. The way his body moved… Buffy shivered feeling a bolt of lust hit her as she watched Spike pick up the biggest of the three and throw him into a nearby crypt wall ten feet away.

It didn’t take long for him to dust all three, and she clapped, just like she had the first time she saw him kill.

Spike turned and bowed before stepping up to her, feeling the aftermath of the fight flow threw him.

Buffy’s eyes widened as she took in the expression on his face. He looked like he wanted to devour her.

Without her intent, her legs opened and he filled the space between then, his hands cupping her hips.

Buffy’s mouth opened and her tongue came out to wet her lips, causing Spike to groan as he followed her tongue with his eyes.

She swore he was going to kiss her and for one second, she thought she felt her heart start beating.

“Jesus Spike, just get a room already!”

Buffy froze and fumbled with her hood, which had somehow fallen down.

He were behind her though, so all he could see was her hair.

Spike growled, causing Buffy’s eyebrow to rise even as her body trembled.

“Forrest man, what the hell are you doing in a graveyard at five in the morning?”

Buffy looked up to see Spike had his jaw locked, a sure sign he was angry.

Over what she didn’t know.

Was it because they had been interrupted?

Or because he had been tempted to kiss her in the first place?

“Coming back from a party, figured this was a quicker way.”

Spike had to give him credit, he could lie well.

“Why are you guys here at this time?”

Spike smirked and pushed his body in harder against Buffy’s causing Buffy’s eyes to widen as she felt every inch of him.

“What does it look like mate?”

Forrest frowned before he shrugged and headed on. He still had a little vampire to find and it was nearly going home time.

“Later.”

Spike just nodded, not trusting himself to speak again.

Buffy let out a breath and eased back, looking up at Spike. The rage on his face made her wonder just who it was directed at.

Jerking away from Buffy, he missed the look on her face as she jumped down from the gravestone.

“Suns near up.”

Buffy nodded, she knew that better than he did.

“I’ll walk you back to Wes’ place.”

He wasn’t going to mention it. Was going to pretend he hadn’t nearly kissed her, or that she hadn’t felt his hard cock digging into her.

Buffy scowled.

~~~~~~~~~~

Spike cursed himself the whole walk back to his house. How the hell could he nearly kiss Buffy? He’d learnt his lesson with Dru, vampires equalled badness.

Got he hoped she hadn’t felt how much he wanted her. He supposed if she brought it up he could blame it on the fight.

He knew better though.

~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy finished her blood and cleaned out her mug before heading down to the basement for some sleep.

Between looking at all those pictures and trying to figure out what was going on with the Slayer, she was exhausted.

Still though, as she lay on her cot and closed her eyes, all she could see was the blue of Spike’s, and how dark they got when he was aroused.

Groaning, she rolled over and buried her face in her pillow, trying to think of anything but how big he had felt pressed against her.

~~~~~~~~~~

He knew what he had to do. And what he had to not do.

Getting involved with Buffy was a big no-no, no matter how much his body wanted hers.

They had the info now, there was no need for her to hang around.

As soon as he had gotten some sleep, he was heading over to Wes’ and telling Buffy to get out of town.

Why would she want to stay in Sunnydale anyway?

tbc