Seven - What we are

Spike hit the ground just in time. Forrest and his friends were all waking up as his blonde head rested against the cold stone.

“What the fuck was that?”

No one had an answer for Forrest… no one but the person responsible.

Spike could feel them all staring at him and kept his body still.

“What about him?”

“We better make sure he’s breathing at least. Man… I wish that little bitch had been knocked out too… I had plans for us later.”

Spike bit his tongue to keep his thoughts on that to himself.

“Parker, check on blondie over there, I’m gonna see if I can find my little whore.”

Spike smothered a growl and moaned, rolling onto his back as he did so. He was able to fool the soldiers, claiming he hadn’t seen anything, nor could he remember what they had been doing in the alley.

He wondered how none of them found that strange, considering he had given them the impression he’d been all but ready to help them rape Buffy.

Still, he wasn’t about to question his luck and made a dash for Buffy’s once he was sure the soldiers were gone for the night.

----------

Buffy swore when she heard the knock on the door. She had just fallen into bed after taking a shower.

“I’m sleeping.”

“Buffy?”

On hearing his voice, Buffy growled and rolled out of bed. He wouldn’t take no for an answer, and she did want to know what had happened with Forrest.

She opened the door and let her eyes run over him, making sure he wasn’t hurt before she met his gaze.

“Thought’d you’d like to know, they bought it. Probably reckon you had something to do with it, but they’re clueless about me.”

Buffy half smiled and rested her head against the frame, her eyes lowering as he raised his hand, watching him freeze mid-air.

Spike froze for a second before reaching out and cupping her cheek, or well, he cupped the air around her cheek.

Bloody spell.

“And I wanted to make sure you were okay.” He couldn’t stand the thought of her being hurt again.

Buffy looked up and met his gaze again. She wished she could feel his hands touching her without anger or hate behind the motivation.

It was on the tip of her tongue to invite him in, but he opened his mouth before she could.

“Nifty spell you got here, smart that… but it won’t help outside…” he trailed off and she wondered where he was going with this.

“I know you’ve been patrolling at night… don’t want you out there alone.”

Buffy smiled up at him before reaching through the barrier and giving his shoulder a light push.

“You worried about me?”

Spike caught her hand and looked down, staring at how small it was. Hard to believe that those same hands were responsible for so many deaths.

He had to keep that in his head or he’d go soft. He couldn’t afford to go soft, not for another vampire.

“Hardly. Just, the way I figure it, you may as well patrol with me.”

Buffy smirked and pulled her hand from his, able to tell he was lying.

“Pick me up tonight then before you start.”

Spike grinned even as the door was closed in his face.

----------

“I don’t know what happened Parker, but God I had her, right in front of me… then Spike shows up and then something else showed up and she was gone.”

Parker groaned as he adjusted his cell.

“Well, you found her once, we’ll find her again, then its party time bro.”

Forrest heard the groaning coming from the other end of the phone and guessed what was happening.

“Is it the blonde or brunette this time?”

Parker grinned and wrapped his hand through the blonde’s hair, forcing her mouth down harder against his cock.

“The blonde.”

Said blonde glanced up at him and redoubled her efforts to get him off. He she got him off, he might be a gentleman and return the favour for once.

Forrest laughed and wished his friend well before hanging up and resting back on his bed, his hand reaching down to free his hard on.

“Soon baby, you’ll be back where you belong.”

----------

“I need to go to L.A.”

Spike staked the vamp he was fighting before turning his attention to Buffy.

“Okay… what for?”

She jumped down from the grave stone she had been sitting on and continued their shared patrol.

“Money. Its all tied up in L.A, I need to go free it up.”

Spike nodded that he understood, but Buffy could see the look in his eyes. As soon as she had mentioned L.A, his mind went to Dru.

“Wanna come with me?”

He stopped and waited until she had stopped a few feet in front and turned to face him.

“You want me to go to L.A with you?”

Buffy nodded and folder her arms, not realising the move caused Spike’s eyes to focus on her breasts.

“Sure, why not, you can make sure I behave.”

Spike frowned. It wasn’t like she could hurt anyone… except for…

Buffy sighed when a hard look entered his eyes and took a few steps back, tensing for an attack.

Spike forced himself to calm down and took a step towards her.

“Can’t exactly hurt humans up there now can you.” There was a challenge in his tone.

Buffy threw him a look.

“You aren’t worried I’d go after Dru?” She could read him like a book sometimes, and he didn’t know which pissed him off more, that or the fact he couldn’t always read her.

Spike shrugged, but she could sense his accelerated heartbeat. He was worried but not for the reasons she was thinking.

“If I asked you to stay away from her, would you?”

Buffy paused and tilted her head, staring at him.

“Are you asking?” It was a favourite past-time of hers, annoying her ass of a Sire. She would hate to give that up.

Spike held her gaze before nodding.

Buffy sighed and scratched the back of her neck.

“”I supposed pissing off my bodyguard wouldn’t be very smart of me now would it.”

He half smiled and tried not to check out said body.

Buffy rolled her eyes and turned around to continue the hunt.

“Fine, seeing as how we’re friends now, I’ll leave my bitch of a sire alone.”

Spike froze mid step.

“We aren’t friends.”

Buffy turned and threw him a look.

“Well what the fuck are we then?”

Spike caught up to her and watched as a demon jumped her, or tried to. Buffy growled as she swung her fist, catching the demon on the lower jaw.

The Slayer was grossed out as said lower jaw detached itself from the upper three. What needed two mouths?

“A little help here.” Buffy grunted as she took a hit to the head and her demon rushed forwards.

The ensuing fight only lasted a few moments after that.

Spike watched as Buffy wrapped her arms around the demons head and twisted. She was panting by the time her feet touched ground again.

He found that strange. He had never seen another vampire simulate the act of breathing without being aware of doing so.

He was pulled from his thoughts when he finally noticed golden eyes staring at him.

They definitely weren’t friends.

She hunted his kind, he killed hers.

Buffy let her demon slip away and licked the blood off her knuckles. Her own blood, not the demons though. Vamps didn’t get sick as a rule, but she wouldn’t risk infecting herself with anything just in case.

“Co-workers then?”

Spike blinked and shook his head to clear his thoughts.

“Sure, that’ll do.”

Buffy hid her scowl and followed after him. She’d get him to change his mind one way or another.

----------

“Can’t believe she’s still hanging around.”

Spike sighed and banged his head off the table. Buffy had been patrolling with him for three weeks now, and Xander still couldn’t wrap his head around it.

“Xander… I get that you hate her… but for the love of God would you shut the bloody hell up about it already mate. She’s here, she’s not going anywhere and she’s helping me patrol. End. Of. Bloody. Story.”

Xander glared and turned his head away. It erked him that Buffy was still around. She was cutting into time he would usually be spending with Spike. Patrol time. The brunette stayed away not that he knew the vampire was a common fixture most nights. Xander had blocked out that there was a time he actually felt sorry for her. She was just a demon. He didn’t care what happened to her.

“When do you leave?”

His head whipped back around to look at Spike when he heard Willow’s question.

“Leave? Where you going?”

Spike ran a hand through his short hair. This was going to go down like a lead balloon.

“Los Angeles.”

Xander’s head hit the table.

“Don’t tell me your going to visit Dru!”

Spike shook his head no and picked at the label on his beer bottle.

“Buffy needs to close a few accounts up there, I’m going to make sure she behaves.

Xander sat up slowly and his eyes narrowed on his best friend.

“Are you crazy?”

Spike sighed. It was going to be a long night.

----------

Buffy finished her meal and threw the last of what she needed into her grip bag. Her demon was antsy. It hated and loved Dru with equal passion, and there was no telling just what sort of reception she was going to get. There was no doubt in her head that Dru would know when she arrived. Demons loved to gossip, and the fact that she was travelling with the Slayer would reach Dru’s ears before the engine had cooled in the car.

She wondered if Spike anticipated a meeting with her sire. She hoped not, she would hate to break her word and actually attack Dru.

Her demon was a possessive chick, and she had her sights set on the Slayer for herself.

What she was most looking forward to though, despite the time she got to spend with Spike, was not having to look over her shoulder all the time. There were no soldiers in L.A… well, at least not ones that would be hunting her down.

The sharp knock on her front door broke Buffy from her thoughts as she grabbed her bag and checked her pockets to make sure she had what she needed.

Everything in place, Buffy opened the door and gulped.

Who knew the Slayer even owned leather pants?

tbc...