Author's Chapter Notes:
again sorry for the delay but r/l keeps getting in the way but the next chap should be up pretty soonish
Eight - California lovin’

Buffy couldn’t keep her eyes from roaming along the slayers leather encased legs to finally rest at his crotch. Spike never noticed her staring as he motioned her to get into his car.

“We should be in L.A in a few hours, how long will it take you to do whatever it is you need to do?”

Buffy pulled her gaze up to meet his from where it had fell to watch his pants stretch as he leant in to place her bag in the trunk next to his.

“We should be able to get everything done tonight.”

Spike nodded.

“That’s what I figured but I brought spare clothes just in case.”

This time, Spike noticed her narrowed eyes and wondered what she was thinking.

----------

Buffy burst from the car and stalked to the trunk to grab her bag. That had been the worst two and a half hours of her very long life, and she had endured some very shitty times. Especially of late.

Spike had seemed fine on setting off, but she noticed the closer he got to L.A, the more snappy he became. She had tried talking to him, tried to make him laugh, even tried to make him mad so he would forget what was upsetting him.

Nothing worked. He just sat there in silence, occasionally scowling at something or other.

She hated that Dru still had such a grasp on him.

“I’ll get the room sorted.”

Spike grunted.

Buffy rolled her eyes and went to make sure they had somewhere to sleep the sun away tomorrow. Sure, what she had to do could be finished tonight, but then that meant travelling back to Sunnydale during the day, and she didn’t fancy being stuffed into the trunk for the drive. Luckily, Spike hadn’t thought of that idea or she figured that’s what would be happening.

----------

He hated L.A. His mother lived here for one thing. To say they didn’t get on would be an understatement. He wondered what his father had ever seen in her. She and Joyce were complete opposites. All he could remember about his mother, was that she liked to drink and got violent when she did. As far as he was concerned, Joyce was his mother and she had raised him like her own.

That brought him to problem number two. Dru was in L.A. He could remember every little detail of the last few seconds they had stared at each other before she turned and walked out of his life. He hated that she had given up on them, even as he understood why she had.

The sooner they left L.A the better he would feel.

----------

Buffy watched him pace. He was muttering to himself, which she supposed was an improvement on the silence.

But, they had things to do.

“Slayer?”

Spike paused and tilted his head, staring at her before she saw him mumble something she couldn’t quite make out. She was glad for that, there was no-way it would have been flattering.

“Ready to go then?”

She nodded and motioned for him to get back into the car.

It only took fifteen minutes to get to the club. She saw Spike look from her to the entrance and shake his head.

“Buffy, we came here for a reason. Going to clubs wasn’t part of it.”

Buffy growled and pushed past him, ignoring him calling after her, either he followed or he didn’t.

Spike grabbed her arm and spun her to face him, his grip tight on her arm.

“We’re leaving, I’m not wasting time here.”

Buffy was about to put him straight when she was grabbed from behind.

“Elizabeth Summers! Why didn’t you tell me you were coming down?”

Spike had been about to attack the demon holding Buffy three feet off the ground until it had started talking.

Buffy giggled and kissed her friend on the cheek.

“Hey Lorne.”

Spike looked from his vampire companion to the green horned demon before throwing his hands up and stalking over to the bar. He tried not to let her giggle affect him.

Lorne followed him with his eyes before turning back to Buffy.

“Not that I mind sweetie, but why did you bring the Slayer to my club?”

Buffy grinned and followed Spike to the bar, pulling Lorne along with her.

When they got there, Spike was squaring up against a vamp that looked familiar to the blonde. When it clicked who she was, Buffy beamed and let go of Lorne before throwing her arms around the vampire.

“Victoria!”

Spike growled and turned back to the bar. Did she know everyone in the fucking place.

“Buffy!”

Lorne sat down beside the Slayer and nodded to his bar tender for a drink.

“Did Buffy not explain the rules of this club sugarplum?

Spike looked at the demon from the corner of her eye.

“Rules?”

Lorne smiled and accepted his drink.

“No violence, by anyone. The building is protected by magic, so you can be assure no-one is hunting in here.”

Spike let out a breath, glad for that at least.

He turned to look at Buffy and saw her in an animated conversation with the other vamp.

Lorne followed his eyes and smiled before turning his gaze back to Spike.

“So, a Slayer and another vampire huh?”

Spike glared and took a drink of his beer.

“Its a long story.”

Lorne laughed.

“Sweetie, with Buffy it usually is.”

Spike couldn’t help but smile at the friendly demon.

“Still, I know your ex, so I guess you hooking up with another vamp is to be expected.”

Spike froze before he turned his Slayer glare on the green demon.

“I’m not with Buffy. This is strictly a business relationship.”

Lorne frowned and looked between him and Buffy, who was finally heading back their way, Victoria in tow.

Spike sighed and stood up, thinking they were done.

He was disappointed when Buffy took a seat at the bar.

“So little lady, what can I do for you?”

Buffy looked at Spike and sighed, seeing that he still seemed tense.

“I’m here to pick up my things.”

Lorne nodded and stood.

“I’ll bring it out to you.”

Buffy smiled and turned her attention back to the Slayer to see Spike was glaring at Victoria.

She rested a hand on his leg, unable to stop herself from squeezing it a little.

Spike jumped before looking down at her pale hand against his black pants.

He gripped her wrist, rather tightly judging by her wince, and pushed her hand away.

Buffy lowered her eyes and turned back to her friend.

“Victoria, meet Spike. Slayer, meet Victoria.”

Spike scowled.

Victoria laughed and nudged Buffy.

“Still picking up after our sire?”

Spike’s head whipped around.

“She belongs to Dru?”

Buffy nodded her head, a scowl on her face at the thought of Dru having had Spike first.

“Where is our darling Sire? Last I heard she was playing lapdog to your Slayer here.”

Spike knocked his seat back and stood up, a stake in his hand.

“I’m. Not. Hers.”

Buffy flinched back from the look in his eyes more-so than the tone of his voice.

Victoria looked from her ‘sister’ to the Slayer before smirking.

“Whatever you say.”

Spike scowled before looking at Buffy. He frowned at the look on her face before shaking his head.

“I’ve had enough of this already.”

Buffy forced a smirk to her face and shrugged.

That was the last straw for him. The Slayer stormed passed them, bumping his shoulder into Buffy on the way.

“I’ll be back in a hour. Do not leave here.”

Buffy watched his back retreating and turned back to her ‘sister’.

“Men.”

----------

Spike rolled his neck, trying to ease some of the tension there before he picked a route to take. He let his Slayer sense guide him in the direction of something he could kill, and happened across a vamp trying to feed.

Trying and failing as there was an armed gang beating the fanged wonder back.

Crossing his arms, Spike leant against the wall and watched what was happening, noting that the guys knew how to look after themselves, even with their crudely made weapons.

When the vamp finally dusted, he couldn’t help himself and began clapping.

That might not have been the best thing to do as he suddenly found those homemade weapons pointed at him and all he had on him was a stake.

----------

Buffy had given Spike a ten minute head start before following him. She had told Lorne to hold her things for a couple more hours.

She couldn’t let him go stalking off on his own. Couldn’t risk that some nasty might get their hands on him.

It didn’t take her long to track his scent and her acute hearing picked up the sounds of the fight from a block away.

Breaking into a run, Buffy rounded the corner in time to see the Slayer outnumbered and weapon-less against six humans.

She watched as the leader took a step forward and raised his axe higher as if to swing.

Buffy ran towards them even as Spike held his hands up in a friendly gesture.

“No!”

Buffy leapt in front of Spike and growled at the human, her face changing as she did so.

Spike sighed, knowing she had just made things worse.

He wrapped his arms around her and spun them so he was between the humans and her, shoving her back a little as he did.

“Now mate, you really don’t want to get into it, not with me. I clapped because I was impressed by the way you lot took out that vampire.”

“We ain’t mates English Bob, so back the fuck off from me ‘less you want this here axe through that bright head of yours.”

Buffy growled and took a step forward, but Spike reached behind him and shoved her back.

“Aww not ain’t that cute boys, English Bob here protecting that piece of trash vermin.”

Buffy froze as she picked up on something else, and raised her eyes upwards to have her fears confirmed.

She hadn’t been the only one to hear the fight.

“Slayer… look up.”

Spike did so and cursed, pulling a stake from his pocket and handing one to Buffy as well.

“Damn, is she another freak that kills her own kind?”

Neither Buffy nor Spike took any heed of the leaders words, though both registered them on some level. Their full attention was on the six vampires currently standing on the roof above them.

“I’ll take the three ugly ones.” Buffy started forward, adding action to her words.

“Damnit Buffy, they are all ugly. The fangy look is out so I‘ve heard.”

Buffy tried not to take offence to that and simply glared at Spike.

The humans meanwhile had finally sensed the danger they were in and all but three ran. Spike was pleased to see the ones who stayed where ones he had been impressed with during the fight.

“Tell you what boys, we survive this, we’ll go share a beer.”

The leader grunted as he took a kick to the stomach.

“Sorry Bob, I don’t socialise with vamps generally as a rule.”

Buffy punched her vamp in the head and elbowed another in the neck, snapping bones as she did so.

“People are so judgemental these days.”

The leader of the group paused and turned his attention away from the fight, a move that would have seen him dead if not for Spike stepping in to deflect the blow that was meant for his head.

“Little less talking people, you know, just until we deal with the cast of Fright Night here.”

Buffy was about to stake the last of her three when she felt it, so much so that it threw her off her game. She felt fangs tearing through the skin on her shoulder, ripping open a wide gash.

Cursing, she staked the vampire before he knew what had hit him and pulled her shirt off to press on the wound. She may not bleed to death, but why waste blood?

Spike staked his demon before staking the vampire the human group had been fighting.

“Your slipping Buff.”

Buffy ignored him and growled into the darkness at the end of the alley.

Spike frowned, wondering what she was doing when he finally felt it.

Buffy took a step back and looked over to see if he knew yet. Judging by the look on his face, he did.

“Dru.” His voice still held that breathy quality when he spoke her name. She stepped out of the shadows and glided towards them. Spike was taken aback by how beautiful she still was.

Buffy saw the look in his eyes when he looked at her sire and lowered her own. First Angelus and then Spike. Why did she fall for men who were in love with her sire?

Pressing on her wound, she turned away from the drama and focused on the humans. They didn’t see concerned by Dru, which made sense after hearing their comment about freaky vamps.

There was no way she wanted to watch Spike moon over his ex. She was tried, hurt and needed to feed.

Buffy pocketed her stake and made to leave the alley, only to have the three remaining humans block the exit.

Typical. Looking up, she spotted the fire escape and leapt, grabbing the end of it with her good arm and hoisting herself up. She had almost made it when a hand grabbed her foot and dragged her back down.

“Where are you going?”

Buffy glared at him and backed away slightly as Dru moved closer. She wasn’t exactly at one hundred pre cent and didn’t really fancy a duel with her maker.

“I’m hungry.”

“What are you doing in L.A Liz?”

Buffy growled and had to stop herself from pouncing. She hated that name, and Dru knew it.

Buffy looked from Spike to her sire.

“I have business here.”

Spike finally noticed that Buffy was hurt and took her shirt away to see the wound.

Buffy hissed as he pressed gently on the skin around the gash, her demon flaring for a brief moment.

“Its fine Slayer, nothing a little blood won’t fix.”

Spike was about to respond when Dru pulled him away from Buffy by the arm.

“What the hell is going on? Are you two here… together?”

Buffy’s eyes flashed golden. Nothing would give her more pleasure than to let Dru think they were… but she knew Spike wouldn’t want that.

Spike’s eyes flashed as he looked from one vampire to the other. He thought he saw something that resembled defeat in Buffy’s eyes but she shook it off before he could examine it too closely.

“Like Buffy said, she has stuff to do here, then we’ll; be on our way.”

Buffy had enough. Forcefully pushing past her sire, ignoring the pain in her shoulder as she did so, she made her way back to the club to collect her things.

She really didn’t want to stay for the love story about to unfold.

Her demon growled at leaving him there, but even it understood the way things were.

He didn’t belong to her, he belonged to Dru, even had the mark on his neck to prove it.

----------

Spike stared after Buffy, torn between chasing her and staying with Dru.

“How have you been?”

Spike slowly turned his head to face his ex.

“Can we not do this with an audience Dru?”

Dru looked to the humans before nodding at the leader.

“Its okay Gunn.”

Spike raised a brow, certain things making sense now. He watched as the humans all left, and thought he heard them talking about Buffy, but Dru took his attention again.

“Wanna tell me why you’re here with my childe?”

----------

Buffy groaned as she closed the hotel door behind her. Throwing the bags Lorne had given her to the floor, she stripped her boots and jeans off before ripping her tank top off. The shirt she had been using to stop the blood was completely soaked, but the bleeding had finally slowed to a crawl.

Opening the fridge, she took out three blood bags from her stash and downed one cold before heating the other two.

While they were heating in the microwave, Buffy went into the bathroom to start the shower. Hearing the ping, she grabbed her blood before stripping her panties off and stepping into the hot water, groaning as it washed over her wound. Lifting the first of the bags, she drained it quickly before throwing the empty package onto the bathroom floor and sipped at her last.

She wondered what they were doing. If they had…. reconnected yet.

Her demon burst forward with that thought and growled its displeasure.

Buffy twisted her head to see the bite and was satisfied it was healing well enough.

Done with her shower she made her way back into the bedroom. Slipping a fresh tank and panties on, Buffy crawled beneath the covers and snuggled into one of the frumpy pillows, trying to keep her mind off what Spike was doing with Dru.


tbc...