Title: In the Harsh Light of Beer
Summary: Tainted Beer makes both Buffy and Spike step out of denial and brings to light the feelings they have suppressed since the first time they met at the Bronze. Takes place in season 4 but quickly goes AU around In the Harsh Light of Day.
Pairings: Buffy/Spike
Rated: NC-17
Disclaimer: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and all characters are the property of Joss Whedon and Co. I own nothing but I wish Spike was MINE.
Authors Note: I would like to thank everyone who has left me a review!!!! They make me insanely happy and inspire me to write faster! I also want to thank no_promises who beta'd this chapter (and most of the others). Let me know what you think!!! The more you review the faster I write after all reviews feed the muse!!!

Buffy didn't know what to think as she walked away from Parker. There were the obvious feelings anger and hurt, but she also felt a wave of relief wash through her. Secure in the thought that it was daylight and; therefore, safe to let her guard down she mindlessly made her way back to Anya. Without warning, she found herself on the ground, pain radiating from the right side of her mouth with blood trickling from her split lip. Before she could clear her head, she felt a large hand tangle in her loose hair and hauled her to her feet. 


"Don’t you just love the feel of the sun warming your skin?" A thickly accented baritone voice whispered in her ear. Buffy's eyes bulged as she recognized exactly who had attacked her. 


"Spike! Let me go, I don’t have time for this." 


"Make time Slayer, this ends today!" 


She yelled in frustration as the stress of everything became too much. Channeling all her pain and resentment Buffy elbowed him with all her strength, easily breaking several of his ribs and forcing him to release his hold on her. 


"Fine! But not in front of all these people." She quickly stomped away from him and in the direction of the gym. He eagerly followed behind her, ogling her ass the entire way. Once inside the two blonds began circling each other looking for any opening in the other defenses. He carefully examined his opponent. The corners of her mouth twitched as she suppressed a smile when she realized he had a sunburn from being in the sun for the first time in over a hundred years. However, her mirth was short lived when she noticed just how emaciated he was. She couldn’t help but wonder what was going on with him. Was he not feeding or was something else wrong with him? Shaking her head Buffy ignored the concern she felt for her mortal enemies health. She reminded herself that Spike was a soulless, evil, demon, who hated her and wanted to kill her. “What’s the matter Spike, you don’t look so good. Have you had a sudden allergic reaction to Harmony? I wouldn’t be surprised with how fake she is," She asked sarcastically in a sickly sweet voice. 


"I wouldn’t throw stones pet, you don’t look so hot yourself. It's no wonder that the new boy didn’t want a second go." 


Face red with anger, she launched herself at him raining kicks and punches down on him. Unfortunately, Spike was ready for her attack and managed to block most of the blows. He steadily gained the upper hand and went on the offense pushing her backwards. She fell after he landed a particularly hard kick to her head. He was smirking as he approached her prone form on the floor thinking she was down and out for the count. She remained still, her eyes closed; using her other senses to determine the location of her opponent. When he was only a couple of feet away, she swept his legs out from under him, and quickly flipped to her feet, ready to go on the offensive again. Over the next thirty minutes, they continued to fight, trading kicks and punches but were unable to seriously injure their adversary. They danced across the gym perfectly matched in every way. The fight did nothing to diminish the anger, frustration, and hurt that had been slowly building since the night they met, the night they first dreamed of each other. Buffy crashed into a wall slightly cracking the cement blocks. Spike quickly used his body to pin her there. 


"Did you like the way he touched you?" He growled "Did he make you scream?"


She growled as she finally lost control. Her fangs dropped, her eyes glowed and her skin flushed with the slight glitter of gold. She savagely threw Spike across the room.


"Because fucking Harmony is so much better," she screamed and swiftly followed him across the gym. "At least he made me feel desired!" She accentuated each word with a kick to his ribs. The shocked vampire grabbed her foot on the last kick and pulled. With a gasp, she overbalanced and landed straddling his chest. Before she could start her assault on him again, Spike rolled them over and firmly held her wrists above her head. His eyes filled with rage as he leaned over to look her directly in the eyes, mere millimeters separating their faces.

"You're an idiot!"

She tried to protest his words but found herself suddenly preoccupied with the feel of soft lips as he kissed her. She couldn't help but respond to his demanding kiss and quickly became lost in the moment. The rest of the world melted away as their tongues dueled for dominance. The sounds of cat calls broke the magic of the kiss, and they reluctantly separated. Buffy was about to run from the whole awkward situation when she felt Spike grab her hand. Gently he pulled her into his embrace. 


"She's dust," he whispered in her ear. He placed a tender kiss on her forehead and walked out into the light of day.


***


Spike was trying to ignore thinking of Buffy and the world shattering kiss that was racing through his mind as he left the gym. He felt something between them as they fought, something that had always been there, making it impossible for either to claim total victory over the other. Sighing he ducked into the first bar he saw. He quickly scanned the dimly lit room; a couple of humans were its only occupants. 


"A bottle of Jack and keep them coming," he told the barkeep as he made his way to a booth hidden away in a dark corner. Carefully he sat down trying not to put pressure on any of the bruises the slayer had given him. He was beyond grateful that the gem of Amara left only the superficial injuries for his vampire healing to deal with. The bar tender slammed a bottle of Jack Daniel's and shot glass down. Spike filled his glass and quickly took the first shot. He closed his eyes in bliss as the liquor slid down his throat slightly burning all the way down. After enjoying the first shot, he grabbed the bottle and chugged. The only thought on his mind was getting so bloody pissed that he didn't know who he was, let alone who the Slayer was. 


***


Buffy was stunned and had no idea what had just happened. She had been fighting with Spike one minute and the next they were kissing. No, he had kissed her! And oh God could he kiss. None of her dreams could compare with the real thing. His lips were so -.


"Hey! You in there?" A boy dressed only in basketball shorts and a pair of Air Jordan's asked. "You might want to move, were about to play."


"Yeah okay" Slowly she limped out of the gym still dazed by the day's events. 


"Oh my God, Buffy are you okay" She felt an arm wrap around her waist and looked over to see Anya trying to help her walk.

"I have no idea." Gradually they made their way to Stevenson hall. Upon entering her room, Buffy collapsed on her bed. 


"So, what happened," Anya asked as she searched for the first aid kit. 
"Spike."


"Did you dust him?" 


"He had the Gem of Amara." She shook her head. "I'm going to fucking kill Giles the next time I see him, doesn't exist my ass."


Anya's eyes widened at the news "And he didn't kill you?"


"It's complicated" Slowly Buffy sat up. She didn't want to think about why Spike didn't kill her, or how it felt to kiss him, or how she knew somehow that things would never be the same between them. "I think he broke a rib or two, do you mind wrapping them?" 


Anya silently did what Buffy asked, using the time to think about how she was going to tell the Slayer about her new fangs and what they might mean.


"What do you know?" Buffy asked as if reading Anya's mind.


"When I first became a Vengeance demon," she quickly looked to see if it was okay to talk about her demon days. 


Buffy smiled at her in encouragement. "Anya I know Xander has a tendency to ignore that you were once a demon and that you have killed numerous people without remorse, I haven't." Anya paled at her words thinking the worst. "But I also know that you are now working with us. You have been alive for over a thousand years, you have done and seen things that most people cannot even imagine, and we have been complete idiots not to acknowledge the experience and knowledge you have." Anya's face lit up. "Thank you Buffy, you have no idea how much that means to me. I promise to help you even if Xander stops giving me orgasms." She gently hugged the Slayer. When she pulled back, worry filled her eyes. "Buffy, I think something amazing is happening to you, but not everyone will see it as a good thing. When I first became a vengeance demon I had to go through some field training. Eevee, the first vengeance demon I was assigned to, had just been sent to a young woman whose lover had just been murdered. Her name was Hannah, and she was a slayer."


"Shouldn't you be telling Giles this too?" Buffy interrupted the ex-vengeance demon before she really got into the telling of her story. Anya's face turned ghostly white at the suggestion. "Buffy, I don't think it's safe to tell him or anyone at this moment in time. I'm not even sure it's safe for Oz to know the little he learned from the growling you did in your sleep."


"Okay, got it, no telling Giles."


"Or anyone else."


"Or anyone else, what's going on?" Buffy moved around trying to get comfortable before motioning to Anya to continue.

"From what I know Hannah somehow fell in love and mated with a vampire named Leo, who loved her in return. When her watcher found out about the bond he immediately informed his superiors. The next night Leo and Hannah's home was attacked." 


Buffy gasped "How could her Watcher betray her like that?"


"I am not sure. They barely managed to escape. Over the next few weeks, they continued to run, but every time they stopped somewhere for more than a few hours they would be attacked. Finally, they managed to capture one of their assailants. They discovered that he and his comrades were employed by the Watchers Council to eliminate the 'corrupted slayer' and her vampire mate." 


Anya paused giving Buffy time to absorb the importance of what she just said. "Two nights later Leo was killed. When we got there, we found Hannah on her death bed. She was dying from a broken heart. When one mate dies the other will shortly follow. At the time, her body was under a large amount of stress causing her to be in her primal state the entire time we were there. Her skin was tinged with gold, her eyes glowed, and she had fangs. She was very weak, and we could only understand a few words of her explanation: 'Potential', 'Mate', and 'Guard'. Her wish was not for the death of those who ordered the murder of her beloved, but for the next slayer that 'discovered her potential' whatever that means, would be warned about the danger the council posed." Anya stood and walked over to the mini fridge. "Do you have anything to drink? All this talking is making me thirsty."


"Auh yeah go ahead."


She grabbed a bottle of water and settled down to continue her story. "We stayed with Hannah until she died, disappearing in a flash of bright light. Eevee was so touched by her story and her selfless wish that she has spent much of her free time researching what had happened to Hannah. I only stayed with Eevee for a year but 'm completely positive that she would be willing to help you even though I technically have already met the requirements of Hannah's wish by telling you her story." 


Only one thought was understandable as Buffy's mind raced. 'Holy shit, Holy shit, Holy shit…,'


"I'll let you know when she is in town. I think it is best to include Oz since he already has some idea of what's going on." Buffy blinked just realizing that her friend had said something. 


"Okay," the slayer said after a moment with a shrug, Oz knowing was the least of her many, many problems. "Um Anya why don't you go and get lunch for everyone. I'm suddenly feeling kinda out of it."


"I completely understand Buffy, I'll see you later." And with that Anya walked out of the room leaving the Slayer alone, bruised, and extremely confused.