Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys!! I'm so so so sorry it's been months and months but so much has been going on. I hope some of you are at least with me? Anyway, I've decided to add this chapter and one last one to make it an even twenty. Hopefully the next chapter will go up soon but I'm through making promises and disappointing deadlines. Enjoy! And please review!!
Prom was just around the corner and Buffy found herself without a date. Of course, Spike was volunteering, but it wasn’t the same. Buffy wanted the whole thing: the corsage, the limo with her best friends, and dancing under the stars (or balloons, depending on the 80s movie she was picturing). Most of all, she wanted to walk down the stairs and meet her date at the bottom. But no. Those kinds of things never happened for her.

The plan was to meet him there, possibly share a few hurried kisses and to go home alone. The thought made her stomach drop, but what else could she do? Buffy sighed as she walked through the halls of her soon-to-be-forgotten school.

He had been bugging her to make a decision on a college for the last several weeks. Spike’s persistence was comforting and yet frustrating beyond all reason. It reminded her that she was indeed leaving, and for New York no less. Buffy resolved to tell him during prom so as to not cause a scene. He wouldn’t cause a scene in a public place, would he? She knew she was putting him in a bad position but genuinely believed it the best course of action, even though the idea left a sick feeling in her stomach as she made her way to his office.

…………………………………….

Spike had a sick feeling in his stomach. Something was up with Buffy and he couldn’t quite figure out what. She seemed typical Buffy for the most part, but every so often he caught a glimpse of sadness or fear or even longing. He couldn’t make heads or tails of it, but he didn’t want to mention it. God knows he tried, but she brushed it off as if it were nothing. “A bad day,” or some rot. She hadn’t even picked a school and even he knew the deadlines were soon if they hadn’t already passed. What was she waiting for? A small part of him hoped she couldn’t decide because she wanted to stay with him, but he knew she could choose a school nearby if that was her only dilemma.

Spike sighed. He wanted to help but did not know how; he selfishly wanted her to stay in Sunnydale. Was it so wrong? She was the anchor that kept him steady. The door rang slightly with the new bell he hung on the knob for him and Buffy’s sake. Everything I do, I do for her, he thought to himself resignedly.

“Hey,” she said softly.

“Hey yourself,” Spike replied, refusing to notice the distance between them, although they were only a few feet away.

…………………………………….

Prom night for the most part was better than expected. Buffy explained to her parents that she was going stag and not ashamedly, either, to their chagrin. Willow and Oz showed up with a black stretch limo and they each handed her a corsage, knowing why she was alone. The gesture almost brought tears to her eyes, but she politely thanked them and jumped in the car instead. Just as she predicted, Spike attempted a few stolen kisses in the broom closet next to the gym.

“Spike…” Buffy began breathlessly.

“Yes pet?”

“I want to talk to you about something.”

“Mhmm, what’s that? You have any naughty ideas for tonight?” he chuckled lightly.

“No, I mean… well yes, but that’s not the point…”

“Tell me love, what do you want?” he whispered heatedly against her neck.

“Spike, listen to me, I’m trying to tell you something here!”

“Ok, ok,” he said chuckling as he nibbled on her ear. “What is it?”

“No Spike, stop,” She murmured helplessly as his ministrations began to affect her. Knowing she was serious he backed away, but a smile still curved at his lips.

“What is it pet?”

“I’m going to school in New York,” she stated quietly.

“What?” he responded, the smile frighteningly frozen on his face.

“I said…” Buffy breathed in heavily, her voice slightly shaken, “I’m going to New York.”

“New York?!” he exclaimed a little louder than he’d intended. “You couldn’t go to school here?”

“No! Spike, I… this is just how everything fell into place! It’s the perfect program for me and-“

“What, there are no other programs in California?!”

“Of course there are! But my parents want me to go to New York. They think its best.”

Spike was silent as he contemplated her words. Suddenly, his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

“How long have you known?”

“I’ve known for a while…”

“A while?! And you, what? Thought you’d tell me about this now?” He felt his face turning red.

“Spike! I have to do what’s right for me and what’s right for me is in New York!”

“So… what? Am I wrong for you?!” Buffy did not respond.

“You’ve known this was wrong…” she whispered as her eyes welled up with tears. Spike’s mouth opened and closed, speechless for the first time in the conversation.

“You’re trying to get away from me,” he stated in a monotone.

“No, Spike you aren’t listening! My parents, they-“

“Why are you doing this to me?” he said as he started to tear up.

“I’m not, I swear. They aren’t letting me choose!”

“Buffy you are an adult now! That means making your own choices!”

“I know, but I don’t have a choice!” she screamed as she stamped her foot.

“You do, Buffy, you do. And it seems like you just made yours.” With that, Spike slammed the door behind him and shuddered terribly. He heard soft cries from inside but he was too angry to move. Too angry to speak. Angry at himself for letting it get so far, for his emotional outburst and for letting the girl of his dreams cry in a broom closet on her prom night. He was a bad, rude man.

Spike leaned against the cool wall. What have I done?


Chapter End Notes:
Please review! All will end up happy if you do!