Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for your feedback
Chapter Four

The days leading up to the dance were absolute punishment for Buffy. Each day felt like an eternity and she half expected to see wrinkles and gray hairs as she readied herself for the festivities. The night had finally arrived, though, and she stood at the front of the dance hall with her sister, mother and father, nearly tittering with excitement.

Tonight the plan would truly be put to action. Dances were like a civilized watering hole in Brighton and her and William would give them something to talk about.

"Oh, this is so exciting!" Dawn trilled beside her. Buffy couldn't help but laugh at the look of absolute joy on her young sister's face. Their parents had just recently let her begin to accompany them to the dances and Dawn acted as if an entire magical world had been revealed.

"Careful with all that exuberant smiling," Buffy ribbed gently. "You don't want to overexert yourself before you even dance one reel."

"Can I dance, Mother?" Dawn asked with an even wider grin. "I've been practicing in my room. I know all the steps!"

Joyce patted her daughter's arm affectionately and said, "Go have fun, Dawn."

"You want to come, too, Buffy?"

She shook her head as she spotted William across the dance hall speaking to some woman with her corset pulled so tightly that she wondered how the woman breathed. He seemed to be flirting, or maybe that was just his usual face. Either way, she would make her presence known.

"Excuse me," she said.

"Where are you going?"

"I see something that needs my attention," she said evasively. Joyce followed her gaze and grinned knowingly.

"Do you mean someone, dear?"

Buffy grinned slightly in response and then made her way across the hall to William. The woman was midsentence, prattling on about some insignificant thing, when Buffy joined them.

"Ms. Summers," William said, interrupting the other woman. She noticed the woman's eyes darken at her arrival. "You look stunning, as always."

"Can I steal you away for a moment?" she asked sweetly. She glanced at the woman and said, "You don't mind, do you?"

"Actually-"

"It was a pleasure meeting you," William interjected smoothly. He offered his arm to Buffy and she pressed herself to his side, allowing him to lead her to the side of the hall. She wasn't going to bring up the other woman but when something was on her mind she rarely could keep quiet.

"So, should I worry about that other woman?"

"Jealous, pet?"

"Hardly," she answered airily. "It's just that we had a deal and if I am to uphold my end up the bargain, then you should, as well."

He smirked and said, "Don't worry, I'm a one woman man now. It's not proper to let more than one pay you for your affections. People tend to look poorly on that."

She rolled her eyes and retorted, "Yes, I suppose they would."

"So, where is the illustrious Liam Angelus?" William asked. "I don't see him and his awful hair anywhere."

She pinched his arm through his sleeve and he pulled away quickly, affronted by her action.

"What was that for?"

"You shouldn't speak of him that way," she shot back. "I'm adding another stipulation to the exhaustive list you already compiled. You must only speak well of Liam."

William snorted. "Not a chance, pet. There aren't enough pounds in all of England to make me only speak well of that ponce. I know you love him and I will follow through with my end of all of this, but I fully intend on getting in my fair share of verbal jabs."

She considered pushing further but he didn't look like he would budge. Relenting with a frown she thread her arm through his again and said, "Fine, you can speak of him however you like. We'd better stop quarreling. People will talk."

"You physically assaulting me in public probably has already done that."

"Well, if you would keep your gab shut I wouldn't have to. Anyway, what should we do now?"

"My usual activities are probably not anything that you would approve of, so I think it's up to you."

She bit back a grin and replied, "That's right, you'd be finding your latest victim right about now."

"They're hardly victims," William scoffed. "They enjoy themselves immensely. Ask any of them."

She slanted her eyes up toward him and asked, "What would you be doing right now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Let's say I was your conquest," she proposed. "How would you woo me?"

"You want me to woo you, love? I don't think this is part of the deal."

She rolled her eyes. "Not actually woo me. I want you to show me how you would woo me."

"And you want me to do this why?"

She shrugged. "I'm bored. And it's interesting. Besides, when else will I be able have a Casanova like yourself at my beck and call?"

"I'm hardly at your beck and call."

"William, get on with the wooing."

"Alright, pet, you really want to see how it's done?" She nodded her head and he warned, "Don't blame me if after all this your dear Liam looks like a mealy mouthed school boy."

"I'm not worried," she responded off-handedly. "Now, woo me damn it."

She watched with curiosity as the grin from her last comment slowly melted into a lax, flirtatious smirk.

"Alright, love, I'll show you. There's no one stock thing that I do with women," he began. "It's a variety of little things that work remarkably well when used in tandem."

She raised an eye brow in a fashion that clearly said that she thought he was full of fooey and he told her, "Don't worry, pet, I'm not finished."

"Go on, then."

"First, it's touch," he said, slowly running the tip of his finger down her forearm. "It's the lightest touch of a fingertip. A hand on the small of the back. A brushing of the waist."

"Oh please," she scoffed.

"It's something that promises much more..." Her stomach pulled uncomfortably when his hand grazed her waist. "...done in plain sight."

"So, you tease them with touch," she said. "I'm left unimpressed."

"Well, then let me continue."

He leaned in close, lips nearly brushing her ear. His breath was hot on her neck as he said, "It's getting close enough where they can feel their own heart beat quickening, feel the desire pooling between their legs. It's letting them know just how much and how well you can whet that desire. Letting them know that you can fulfill every fantasy, every delicious whim that makes them quiver in anticipation. Anything and everything is possible." He pulled away, smirking at how her eyes had become wide like saucers. "And then you go on and do very naughty things."

It took Buffy a second to collect herself, but when she did she haughtily replied, "It wouldn't work on me."

"Well, of course not," he said with a grin. "Because you are of the wanting-more-variety. Admit it, though, you felt some of it."

"Felt some of what?"

"Excitement. Arousal."

"I did not," she held, although there was a distinct ache between her legs that she hadn't felt since Liam.

"Sure, pet, whatever you say." He seemed to be distracted by something over her shoulder and before she could turn to see exactly what it was he was pulling her toward the dance floor.

"What did you see?" she asked, turning her head as William put an arm around her waist. She took his hand without thinking and her eyes went wide when she saw Liam speaking with a few gentleman at the front of the dance hall.

"William, he's here! Shouldn't we be talking to him or something?"

"This is one of those instances where you do what I tell you," William said. "Trust me, pet, this will get the job done more effectively than dangling ourselves in front of him. Plus, it's more fun."

"Will we talk to him after?"

"Yes, yes, now will you just enjoy yourself for a bit? Your Liam will still be there when the dance is over."

"Fine," she sighed. "But I hardly think I will enjoy myself."

Despite her words, she did find herself enchanted by the dance. He was a fine dancer, light on his feet and with a good sense of rhythm. It was astounding how many men had absolutely zero rhythm, making dancing with them an absolute terror. One of her persistent suitors before Liam was an awful dancer and she always dreaded the times where she would have to muddle through a song with him.

She kept her eye on Liam whenever she could throughout the dance and became increasingly disgruntled by his apparent lack of regard. William didn't seem to mind that the other man's attention was elsewhere. In fact, he seemed to just be enjoying the dance.

"He's not even looking," she complained.

"He will."

"And you're so sure of this why?"

She expected some sort of bravado in answer, but his reply surprised her.

"Because when you love someone you always sense where they are in a room. You don't even mean to but your eyes are drawn to them. Given time, he will notice."

She looked at him curiously and noted, "Sounds like you speak from experience."

"Love is a disease to which no man is immune," he said bitterly. "I am just of the lucky few who recover quickly and learn their lesson."

"Who was she?"

"That, love, is a story that no amount of money or liquor could make me tell you."

"But-"

"Your Liam has finally found us," he said, effectively ending her line of questioning. She went to twist around but he tightened his grip, pulling her closer as he said, "Now, let's not do that, dear. Looking overly eager will only muck things up."

She noticed then that her body was nearly flush against his and she tried to pull away slightly but he continued to hold her close. She purposely stepped on his foot and his grip loosened as he stumbled. Grinning saccharinely she told him, "Sorry about that, dear."

"You know, sometimes I think Liam dodged a bullet with you. Pity that I'm sending it right back in his direction."

"Oh, shut up."

The song continued, Buffy trying to capture any little sight of Liam while William whisked her around the floor. The song ended and William led her from the dance floor. She thought for one glorious moment that they were finally going to speak to Liam, but he instead brought her out to the balcony which set her in an understandable panic. She had seen firsthand the sorts of things William Pratt enjoyed doing on balconies.

"We can't be out here!" she said as he closed the door. "You're supposed to be properly courting me! Not whisking me onto balconies! Oh, what will he think if he sees us out here?"

"No 'if', love, 'when."

"We have to go back inside," she implored, already turning when he took a hold of her arm and pulled her beside him.

"Buffy, would you calm down? We're right in front of the door in plain view. No one is going to suspect anything other than we wanted a moment alone."

She didn't believe him and glanced back at the door to see for herself. Sure enough, he was right. She turned back to him and sheepishly said, "I suppose you're right."

"Overreact much, pet?"

"I just want this to work," she said. "I need this to work."

Something in her tone was absolutely heartbreaking and he gingerly laid a hand over hers, waiting to see if she would pull away. She didn't.

"I'm a man of my word, Buffy, and I said I would help you get him back. You will."

Her spirits seemed to have been bolstered slightly as she replied, "You better, otherwise you owe me 300 pounds."

He grinned slightly. "Alright, I'm going to do something now and you have to promise to behave."

"Alright, I'll behave."

Her breath hitched when he leaned in and brushed his lips against her cheek, lingering for just a moment before pulling back and giving her a little wink. She opened her mouth to speak but found herself with a puzzling lack of words.

"Now, you stay out here," he said, backing away.

She turned around and asked, "Where are you going?"

"Inside," he said. "But don't fret, my dear, you'll have company in no time."

He opened the door and slipped inside the dance hall. Left alone, Buffy turned back toward the balcony and stared into the darkness. Moments later she heard the door open and she turned, fully prepared with a retort about how he came back so soon, but she bit her tongue when she found Liam standing before her.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked.

"No, of course not," she said. He stepped forward and took the spot beside her, resting his arms on the railing beside hers. He was very close, only an inch to the side from either would make their bodies touch.

"It's a beautiful night, isn't it?" he asked.

"Yes, quite."

"So, tell me, are you honestly involved with William Pratt?"

It was a rather direct approach coming from Liam, which surprised her. He was always one to dance around uncomfortable conversation rather than focus on it. Yet, here he was cutting straight to the chase.

"Yes," she said. "We are involved."

"I don't understand it. You must know of his reputation."

"He cares for me and I him. What else is there to consider?"

"Your virtue, for one," Liam said. "And his lack, I suppose. It's just…"

"It's what?"

He was silent for a long stretch before he softly replied, "I believe you deserve better. A man of his character, well, he has no business with someone of your stature."

"Yes, his character may have been questionable before," she conceded. "I can't say I enjoy the fact that his knowledge of women is…vast. He has changed, though. He is a gentleman with me, Liam."

"I find it hard to believe he is capable of that."

"He is," Buffy said firmly.

"And you're happy?"

She wanted to tell him that she wasn't. She wanted to tell him that she missed him more with each passing day and that he should just come to his senses already and realize that her world would never truly be a happy one without him in it. But that wasn't part of the plan. Instead of telling the truth, she nodded her head and told him that yes, she was happy. William was everything she could have hoped for.

"Well, then I'm happy for you," he said, although his eyes did not match the sentiment. "I should probably head back inside."

"Me too," she said, pulling herself away from the railing. He gestured for her to go first and they moved back into the hall, together but separate.


Chapter End Notes:
Despite that semi-Bangel ending, I assure you there is some fun Spuffy to come!! Please leave feedback!