Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for your reviews! I hope you like this!
For the past two days Buffy had been at the Pratt home and she was anxiously awaiting the doctor's clearance for her to go home. It wasn't that she wasn't being treated well. The entire wait staff and the Pratt family had been nothing but courteous. She had meals brought to the guest room at regular intervals and there was a bell put besides the bed that she could ring whenever she found herself in want of something. It wasn't home, though, and she yearned for the ease that being at a place of your own brought. Still, she was making do.

"Your turn," William said, smiling at her over the checkerboard. She had gathered enough strength to leave the bedroom and was seated in the living room, a heavy blanket thrown over her lap to ward off chills. She peered at the board, trying to piece out what the best move would be. "Having a bit of trouble over there, love?" he taunted lightly.

"Oh hush," she said. "I need to think."

"I already see your best move," he said, leaning back in his seat.

"I've been confined to a bed for 48 hours. It might take me a little longer, okay?"

He smirked. "Alright, sorry love, take your time."

She deliberated for another moment before moving her piece. He clicked his tongue before reaching forward and easily claiming two of her pieces.

"Are you usually this awful or is it the fever?"

"William!" Mrs. Pratt admonished him from the couch, closing her book on her lap. "Is that any way to speak to a lady?"

"I'm just teasing, Mother," William said, giving Buffy a look that made her suppress a giggle.

"Buffy, dear, please excuse my son and his deplorable manners. We tried to raise him well but he seems allergic to acting in any manner that could be mistaken for gentlemanly."

"It's fine," Buffy answered pleasantly. "And, might I add, your son was nothing but a gentleman in town. I don't know what I would have done without him."

"You flatter me," William said, laying a hand on his chest. "Besides, I couldn't have left you on that floor. You didn't match the décor."

Buffy scrunched her nose at him before returning her attention to the board. She took less time to ascertain her move this time and William said, "Gaining confidence, are we?"

"I'm playing by instinct."

He smirked and moved his piece, realizing a moment too late the error of his play. He watched her carefully, wondering if she would pick on his misplay. She felt his gaze and innocently asked, "What?"

"Nothing," he said quickly. Too quickly. She glanced at the board and grinned wide when she saw the move that would take four of his pieces. She purposely reached toward a different piece, shifting her gaze toward him as her fingers hovered over the piece.

"No," she murmured. "I don't think I'll do that."

He shot her a bemused look as she did the same thing over another piece. Typically such behavior would have irritated him but he couldn't help but be happy at her recovered spirits. Still, he couldn't be too soft; this was a competition, after all.

"Buffy, just make the blasted move already. I'm growing a beard over here."

"What move?" she asked innocently. "Oh, you mean this one?" She picked up the piece and maneuvered it over his four black pieces. "Your turn, Pratt."

They played for another hour or so, bantering over moves. All the while Mrs. Pratt watched from the couch, smiling contentedly at the two of them. She liked this Buffy Summers. There was a marked difference in her William when he was around the young woman. He softened and showed the sort of behavior that she always knew he was capable of.

"Buffy, dear, you'd better rest if you are to go home tomorrow," she said.

"My mother is right," William said. "I can beat you at checkers again later today after you rest."

"You're forgetting that I won that last game," Buffy said.

"Yes, but I won the other five," he said, taking the blanket from her lap as she rose from her seat. He took her elbow and although she felt steady enough on her own, she didn't remove his hand.

"Thank you for letting me stay here these past few days," she told him as they walked up the stairs. "You and your family have been too kind."

"It's no trouble."

"I suppose this wasn't what you were expecting when you agreed to help me," she said. "I suppose I'll have to add to the 300 pounds."

Her tone was light, but his was anything but when he looked over at her and said, "Buffy, my helping you here has nothing to do with our deal. Believe it or not, I have come to care for you in our time together. And I prefer that the people I care about do not suffer."

"I was only joking," she said softly. He didn't say anything and she tentatively asked, "You care about me?"

"Don't get your knickers in a twist," he replied gruffly, softening it with a grin. "I simply meant that I enjoy your company. You're quite a woman, Buffy Summers, even with your horrid taste in men."

She smirked. "William, would I be presumptuous to suggest that we are becoming friends?"

He helped her into the bed, pulling the covers up to her chin. "No you would not, pet." He leaned down and placed a quick kiss on her forehead. "Now rest, Summers. I don't want my newly acquired friend dying on me."

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Joyce and Dawn rode up to the Pratt home the next day to take Buffy home. She was gathering her things up in the guest room when she heard of their arrival. William poked his head in the room and said, "Our mothers are getting on wonderfully. They're going to start planning our engagement soon if you don't get downstairs soon."

"My mother and I have already started. It's going to be a June wedding with a pink color scheme." She laughed at the look on his face and patted his shoulder as she breezed past him. "Breathe, William, it was only a joke."

"Not a particularly funny one," he said, following her down the stairs. Joyce was at the foot of the staircase and visibly relaxed when she saw her daughter in good health. When Buffy reached the landing Joyce pulled her into a tight embrace.

"We were all so worried," Joyce said. She pulled away, taking a hold of Buffy's arms to take a good look at her. "When Dawn arrived in the Pratt's carriage and told us what had happened in town I hardly knew what to do with myself. I wanted to come straight here but your father told me that I would only be in the way. Are you feeling much better?"

"Tip top shape," Buffy answered. "Really, Mother, I'm fine. The Pratts and Dr. Fitzwilliam took very good care of me."

Joyce pulled Buffy in again and kissed her forehead. Turning back to the other company in the room she said, "Thank you again for everything that you did. We are forever in your debt."

"Nonsense, we were more than happy to help. Buffy is an absolute dear."

"Well, we'll be on our way and not impose on you any longer. Thank you again."

"Take care," Mrs. Pratt said, stepping forward and pulling Buffy into a gentle embrace. "And you, dear, look after yourself. I'd hate to think what would happen to my poor William if anything happened to you again. You should have seen him, dear. He was an absolute wreck!"

"I'll walk you out," William interrupted, clearing his throat. Buffy smirked and took his offered arm. She leaned in and whispered, "You were a wreck, huh?"

"My mother likes to embellish," he answered. "But I was worried."

"Well, you played a phenomenal nursemaid," she teased. "I would recommend you to anyone."

"Why thank you," he answered in like.

They stopped at the carriage and he helped her up onto the seat. He assisted Joyce and Dawn, too, then closed the door. While they drove away Buffy turned and glanced out the back window. William had already made his way back into the house.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Later that day the Summers received a visitor. Buffy glanced up from her reading and was surprised to see Liam Angelus standing at the entrance of the sitting room. She closed her book and went to stand when Liam stopped her.

"No, please, stay seated."

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I heard about what happened in town. I presume you're feeling better?"

"Much, thank you."

"I heard you recuperated at the Pratt's?"

Buffy smiled slightly and remarked, "You hear a lot, Liam."

He smiled sheepishly. "I suppose one does when you ask the right questions.

I was very, well, curious when I first heard about you taking ill."

"I did recuperate at the Pratt's," she answered. "They were very kind to me."

He gestured toward the seat beside her and she nodded, tucking her chin to her chest when he sat beside her. When she gathered the courage she turned her gaze toward him and saw that he looked just as uncomfortable as she felt.

"Liam?"

"I wanted to talk with you about the dance last weekend," Liam said. "I'm afraid that I acted in an inappropriate manner. My behavior when we were out on the balcony…I shouldn't have said the things that I did and I apologize for that."

"There is no need for you to apologize," Buffy said. "You spoke from your heart. Everyone should be allowed that."

He paused for a moment and then asked, "And you spoke from yours?"

She averted her eyes. "Yes, of course I did."

"Regardless, I should not have been quite so forthcoming."

An uncomfortable silence fell between them. Liam studied his shoes as Buffy read and re-read the title of her book.

"Fainting in the middle of a store," Liam said after a moment. "You always did like to make a scene."

She laughed softly, turning her head toward him again. "Yes, I suppose that is true."

"Well, I should be going," he said, tapping his legs in a decisive manner before rising. "I am glad to see that you are doing well."

"Thank you for your visit."

He gave her a quick nod and then left. She heard the front door close and then Dawn scurried into the room with a frantic line of questioning.

"What was he doing here?"

"He wanted to see how I was doing," Buffy said, noticing the way that Dawn's eyes flashed.

"He has no right! He pushed you to the side and now you've found William who is twice the man he'll ever be! He isn't fit to wipe William's boots!"

Buffy smirked. "Dawnie, he was simply here to see how I was faring after my little episode in the town. He was nothing but polite."

Dawn was somewhat placated by that, but not enough. "I still don't like him."

Buffy laughed softly. "Alright."


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are very welcome :D