Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey all my beautiful readers! :) I'm so sorry it's been such a long time since my last update. I've been busy the past couple of weeks, so I really haven't gotten any time to update. But here is a new chapter now.

There are only two more chapters and an epilogue to go after this one, so it's almost at an end.

Also, I promise I will be updating my other WIPs in the next few days! :)
It’s amazing how sometimes something as simple as a voice can evoke the deepest fear in a person.

But hearing that man’s dark mocking tones sent a frisson of terror through her whole body, and she had to physically dampen it down to prevent herself from trembling.

“Angelus.” Buffy said coldly, surreptitiously looking around for a way past him and out of the alley.

She drew in a tight breath as she realized she was trapped with a lunatic who was capable of the most unspeakable evils. The pounding in her chest was almost physically painful, but she steeled herself outwardly and raised her chin. Apparently her front was not enough to fool a seasoned psychopath like Angel, however.

“Now, now, Buff. Don’t look so scared.” He laughed but there was no humor in the sound. “I’m not here to hurt you. I just wanted to chat.”

“Like you did with Anya?” She said harshly, raising her chin one again in defiance.

He chuckled.

“That was her name?” He asked disinterestedly. “I wouldn’t have bothered with her if I knew was a pathetic ride she would be. I’m sure you would be much better, eh, Buff?”

She grimaced in disgust at his slimy leer.

“Pity you’ll never get to find out.” She sneered, mentally reprimanding herself for purposely provoking the crazy man.

“Come on now, sweet-thing. Don’t you wish you could have a ride with a real man instead of a pathetic little fuck like Willy-boy?” Seeing her look of shock and surprise at the fact he was aware of her relationship with Spike, he laughed. “You think I didn’t see the way he was looking at you the other night? It doesn’t take a genius to work out that the two of you are fucking.”

“That’s none of your business, asshole.” She yelled.

“Everything Willy does is my business, babe. I made him my bitch a long time ago. Mhmm…I can still remember how those lips felt wrapped around my…”

“Shut up! You’re disgusting. You use and abuse people and think that’s okay.”

“And you’re the sick and twisted little bitch who’s letting her step father stick it to her. I know everything about you, Buffy Summers, and you really should be ashamed of yourself.” He told her with false sincerity, reveling in the shameful flush that flooded her cheeks.

However, she was not about to let him get the better of her.

“I don’t care what you say about me, Angelus. You can get all judgey and, hey, I could listen to you…if I valued the opinion of a sociopathic loser with really bad taste in hairstyles.”

His eyes darkened and he came closer to her, making her feel even more claustrophobic in his presence.

He leaned close to her ear so she could smell the beer on his breath and whispered in hushed tones.

“And do you know just what you’re in bed with? You talk to me as if I’m scum and you let that man into your bed but he’s not just a man. He’s a murderer. He’s killed three women, babe.”

“He told me all about his past. I know everything about him and about you. And you know what? He comes out as the better man whichever way I look at it.” She pushed him away from her with all her might and stiffened her posture. “Also…three women? I knew you were dumb but if your math skills suck to the point that you can’t count to two then you really do need to go stab yourself in the neck.”

A flash of pleasure shot through his dark eyes as he realized that Buffy really didn’t know.

He should have guessed that if she was aware of the truth then she wouldn’t be just standing around in an alley insulting him and defending Spike.

“This is too perfect!” He exclaimed, a chilling laugh bursting from his throat. “Willy didn’t tell you? That little wuss has always been pathetic. Your little lover is the reason Mommy-dearest is dead.”

“What the hell are you talking about? Spike loved my mother.”

Angelus puffed out a sigh, before locking their gazes in a way that made Buffy feel like she was caught in the Devil’s trap without a way out.

“If you know everything then you know that your boyfriend broke my two favorite toys, and he knew that he owed me. I would have even let him pay…in kind.

A few months ago I finally tracked the slippery little weasel down and I went to see him at his judo club. Boy done good, I gotta say. And that really pissed me off.”

Angel paused dramatically, but Buffy just rolled her eyes, feigning indifference.

“Willy was his usual annoying self when he saw me and I don’t take kindly to that kind of attitude. Not sure if the boy is cocky or just stupid. I told him that it was time to claim my debt, but your boyfriend has a big ego and he didn’t think there was anything I could do so he ignored me. Until I showed him that I meant business. I took away the thing I thought meant the most to him. And Mommy makes three.”

The dawning horror on Buffy’s face showed her that she finally understood.

When Buffy heard those words the final piece of the puzzle clicked into place for her even as the rest of her world shattered into innumerous shards.

She didn’t know why she hadn’t connected the dots earlier because now it was glaringly obvious to her.

Angel was the one who murdered her mother.

He had slaughtered her because of Spike.

And Spike had purposely kept the truth from her.

“You murdered my mom, you fucking bastard!”

With an animalistic scream she launched herself at Angel, clawing, scratching and biting at him. It didn’t matter that he had size on his side, because she had pure, unadulterated fury on hers.

She got a good swift kick in to his shin before her managed to restrain her, pinning her hands behind her back and heaving her against his chest, one of his arms banding tightly round her stomach.

She struggled in his grasp, but she couldn’t free herself from the huge guy’s hold.

“You’re not going to win against me, Buff.” He jeered, keeping her pinned against him. “You see…Spike’s debt isn’t quite cleared. I might have killed your mother, but as it turns out she wasn’t the most important thing in his life, after all.”

Buffy renewed her struggled, fear coursing through her at his words. She didn’t want to die in a stinky alley at the hands of a psychopath who needed putting down.

“You’re like a mouse to a cat, lover. And I’m a big cat.” He laughed, amused at her resistance. “Mmm, keep wiggling like that.”

“You’ll regret everything you’ve done, Angelus. You will be punished, even if I don’t get to do it.”

He caressed her neck with his fingertips with faux tenderness, but the movement of his hand loosened his grip on her, and she was able to slam her head back into his face, hearing the crunch of his nose.

Angel reeled back in shock and pain, his hand automatically going to his face to wipe away the blood that flowed from his damaged nose, and before he could get a hold of her again, she spun around and delivered a swift kick to his crotch. Angelus doubled over in pain, raining down a torrent of profanity on the young girl, but seeing her opening she dodged under his flailing arms.

Not even hesitating or looking back, she took off at a run away from the man who would have happily snapped her neck moments earlier.

The world seemed to be a blur as she careered down the quiet streets, her pulse throbbing in her temples. The journey home seemed to take forever, but she finally turned onto the street where she lived. Feeling the bile in her throat when she eventually found herself back on Revello Drive, she slowed to a jog.

She surveyed the house which had so many memories, both good and bad, and steeled herself to enter.

During the confrontation with Angelus she had learned so much that tore at her heart, but all she had cared about in those seconds was avenging what he had done to her mother, and then preserving her own life.

Now things were finally sinking in.

Spike, the man who she had fallen for, had lied to her.

Maybe Angel was the one who pulled the trigger, but Spike was the reason her Mom was a rotting corpse, six feet under the ground.

Her earlier conversation with Anya about blame came flooding back to her. Spike was the one who brought Angel to Sunnydale. Spike knew he was in Sunnydale but his own fear of punishment and prison, along with his own apparent arrogance had meant that he allowed that evil thing to continue to wander free, harming people at his leisure.

And worst of all he had withheld the whole truth from her.

That man had held her in his arms, looked into her eyes, and kept a life-changing secret from her.

And she didn’t think that was something she could ever forgive.