Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so this is it. The very end of the journey. I really hope everyone has enjoyed this story, and I would like to thank everyone who has read and reviewed. Knowing people are enjoying reading what I'm writing gives me inspiration.

So with that said...here's the final part. :)
Epilogue

The warm afternoon sun danced across the top of the white marble headstone. The only sound was the twittering of the birds and the noise of Buffy’s heavy sobs.

The young blonde felt the tears cascading down her cheeks as she stood virtually alone in the cemetery staring at the glistening stone.

Swallowing down the lump that was choking her, she coughed lightly to clear her throat.

“Hi.” She said, gazing sadly at the stone. “I know I should probably come to visit you more, but it hurts to be here and to know that you’re gone and that…you’re never coming back.

Most days I do pretty much okay. It hurts less and less every time I think about it…about what happened to you. You were taken before your time, but I want you to know that the man who…killed you…is burning in hell now. He won’t ever hurt anyone else.

I know we had our problems but…I hope you know that I loved you and I will always love you. You were my inspiration in so many ways and I just hope I can be as good a person as you are.

I wish you were here right now with me, but I want you to know that I feel you here with me all the time. And I want to make you proud of me.

I miss you Mommy.”

Buffy laid a single rose on the grave sobbing sorrowfully and felt gratitude rush through her when a strong pair of arms surrounded her shaking frame. She burrowed into the reassuring embrace of her lover as he wiped the tears lovingly from her cheeks.

“Oh God, Spike! I miss her so much!” Buffy cried, soaking the fabric of Spike’s shirt with her tears.

“I miss her too.” Spike agreed, clinging to her just as hard as she held on to him.

Buffy looked up at the man she loved with her entire heart and soul, and flashed him a watery smile. He was here and he was holding her and so often she had to reassure herself that he was with her.

She had come so damn close to losing him too.

After Angelus had stabbed Spike five months earlier, the blond man had had teetered on the precipice of his eternal rest.

Lying lifelessly on the floor, he had started to bleed out, the thick red liquid coating Buffy’s hands as she screamed out her anguish. With trembling fingers she had called the paramedics, but she had felt him slipping away from her even as she willed them to hurry.

In that split second when he had declared his love for her, she knew that she just couldn’t lose him.

No matter what.

Even if she had to follow him beyond the bounds of the mortal coil she would have done it if need be.

Once the paramedics had arrived they had tirelessly struggled to revive the man she loved, while she watched on in a state of near-hysteria.

Spike had been clinically dead for almost two minutes.

However, the paramedics had managed to restart his heart and he had been rushed to Sunnydale General.

Unfortunately, things hadn’t quite been plain sailing from there.

He fell into a coma for almost a month, during which time Buffy was glued to his bedside, pleading to his unconscious form to wake up and declaring her boundless love for him.

Coming that close to losing him, she realized that nothing else but her feelings for him mattered. Everything that had happened in the past, even the fact that he withheld the real truth about her mother’s murder, was irrelevant.

The past should be consigned to where it belongs and all that is truly important is the unwritten future.

“What’s going through that cute little bonce of yours, lamb?” Spike asked his girl as he noticed she was deep in thought, a furrow marring her brow.

“I was just thinking how glad I am that you’re still here and that I didn’t…lose you.” She admitted shyly.

“I will always be here, love.” Spike assured her, clasping her chin between his fingers and drawing her eyes to his. “Can’t get rid of me that bloody easily. I died and came back, Buffy. Dead man walking here.” He nudged her shoulder playfully and she cracked a small smile.

Grasping her hand they started to walk away from Joyce’s grave, strolling through the rows of tombstones.

Casting a look at the girl at his side, Spike felt his heart swell once again.

Since his near death experience many things had changed for the both of them.

They were living together as a couple now and planned to ‘come out’ about their relationship to the wider world once Buffy turned eighteen in a few months time.

Spike had given up drinking after Angelus stabbed him and was working through his residual guilt in weekly therapy sessions. He wanted to be there for Buffy in every way possible, and he needed her to realize that he was serious about their future together.

His cousin Wesley had once again stepped in to help arrange the sessions, having felt an extreme guilt of his own because he wasn’t able to help locate Angelus for Spike before the evil man had struck. Wesley and Spike had become even closer in the past few months and Spike finally believed that he now had the family that he’d never really had before.

Buffy had even agreed to undergo some therapy of her own, after the trauma of killing Angelus weighed on her heart and soul.

He may have been the epitome of evil, but he was still a human being, and even with the logical rationalizations, Buffy had struggled with her actions for a while.

Of course, both of them were glad he was dead and gone and could never hurt anyone ever again.

After Angel’s death, the prostitution rings and drug cartels that he was a part of had all come to light. Spike was convinced that he saw more than one police officer give Buffy an impressed, not to mention grateful, smile for what she had done to Angelus.

One of the biggest steps forward for the Englishman was his visit to Darla’s and Drusilla’s graves. Through his tears and apologies he had been able to stand there and say his final goodbyes to them.

He would never forget them. They made him part of who he was now. But he knew that finally he was ready to let go of some of the guilt that had weighed him down for all these years.

Buffy was also making strides forward in her life. She was planning to go to the University of Sunnydale the next fall and had really rebuilt bridges with her friends, even Xander. When she had needed them the most, they had come through, stepping in to give her support when she was at her lowest ebb.

Buffy and Spike were approaching the mouth of the cemetery when droplets of rain started to spill down on them. It started with a spattering, but before long the heavens were emptying buckets on to them, and Buffy let out a small shriek as she felt the liquid soak through her clothes down to her skin.

Seeing a half open crypt door, Spike tugged it open and thrust her inside, rushing in after her and pulling it closed.

He was just as wet as she was, and despite the less than romantic setting of a dusty old crypt, she couldn’t stop the moisture from pooling in her panties as she studied his soaked form.

The cold musty air didn’t do anything to dampen her burgeoning passion as she watched him peel off his soaked coat and T-shirt to reveal his pale torso. Tiny rivulets of water ran down his abdomen, making a path that she would love to trace with her tongue.

Buffy licked her lips and he gifted her with a smoldering look when the lusty expression on her face registered with him.

“Something that my little kitten wants?” He asked sexily, slowly stepping in her direction.

“I want you.” She gasped.

He closed the distance between them and yanked her into his arms, cupping the back of her head as he sealed his lips to hers. His tongue wiggled between her slightly parted lips and tangled with her own. With a groan she bit down on his bottom lip and he responded with a hefty moan of arousal, feeling his cock engorge with blood.

She reached down to cup his dick through the rough denim and moments later they had both completely shucked their clothes leaving them nude to each others’ gaze.

“Please fuck me!” She screamed, no longer able to wait to feel him filling and stretching her.

Spike took a moment to revel in her desperation for him. He remembered a time when she was much shier than she was now, and he couldn’t help but feel a little pride that he was partially responsible for her total and absolute sexual awakening.

He picked her up, rubbing his naked flesh against her own and placed her on a sarcophagus, parting her legs and standing between them.

She was so wet that he could smell the sweet aroma of her musky juices wafting up to him, and he ran his fingers gently over the smooth, damp skin of her bare mound. Her scent always made his mouth water but as much as he craved the taste of her, he also needed to bury himself deep inside of her or he felt like he would implode.

Spike clutched his dick, sliding it into the furnace of her pussy. He gripped the fleshy globes of her butt and thrust hard and deep into her, knowing that neither of them would last long before they reached the summit of their passion.

His touch was intoxicating for Buffy and every time they came together it was like they were reborn to each other in a hazy daze of love.

With thunderous moans they came together in quivering fervor, before collapsing onto the stone sarcophagus, completely spent.

He drew her into his arms and she sighed contentedly as they lay together in comfortable silence.

“You know,” Buffy said, piercing the quiet, “There was a time that I thought I could never be with you like this again.”

He raised his head to look at her inquisitively.

“When I found out that you didn’t tell me the truth about what happened to Mom…that you kept it from me that Angelus had been the one to kill her, I thought I could never trust you again.” She said candidly. “I thought I hated you, but it was all just anger clouding my feelings. When I thought that I’d lost you…that you were dead and gone forever…it put everything into perspective and I realized just how much I love you.”

He rested on his elbows and smiled fondly at her admittance of love. It wasn’t the first time that she had told him; the first time he remembered hearing it had been the moment he opened his eyes from his coma; but he would never ever get tired of hearing it.

However, it was one of the first times that she had openly talked about what he knew she viewed as his betrayal…keeping the truth about Joyce’s murder from her. Spike believed in that moment that they were moving on. By being able to express her feelings, then she could finally put them to rest. The irony of the fact that they were in a crypt didn’t go unnoticed by the peroxide blond Englishman.

“I love you too, Buffy.” He told her, regarding her fondly. “I love you more than I even knew it was bloody possible to love another person. What we have…it’s more than a crush or something fleeting. It’s profound and deep and sometimes completely irrational. But it’s beautiful and pure…” He paused as his eyes flickered over her nude, splayed body and he felt his dick stir once more. “Okay, not completely pure, but definitely beautiful and wonderful. I love you with my body, my heart and my soul, Buffy Summers and everything I am belongs to you.”

Teary eyed she stroked the side of his high cheekbones, gazing into the stunning pools of his cerulean eyes. They were like the azure ocean drawing her down until she felt like she was drowning.

And she never wanted to be saved.

“I know we’ve both messed up in the past, Spike.” She said. “But we have the rest of our lives to make it right. I know you’re a good man. I see that when I look into your eyes and into your soul. And your soul the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.”

He smiled and kissed her sweetly.

“I think it’s stopped pissing it down now, so we can probably get out of here.” Spike said breaking the mood and causing Buffy to giggle and playfully slap his exposed chest.

Leisurely the two of them dressed, pulling their damp clothes back onto their sticky bodies. Neither of them really noticed how uncomfortable the garments felt because they were so consumed with each other.

When they exited the crypt the sun had come back out and was shining brightly in the clear blue sky, and both of them squinted to ward off the sharp light.

He took a hold of her hand, and without looking back they walked forward out of the cemetery.

It was time to move on.

Together.


Chapter End Notes:
I hope you liked it! Please review and let me know. I appreciate feedback. Thanks! :)