Author's Chapter Notes:
So this is the second chapter I've just added. I also just added Chapter Seven, so if you haven't yet read that one, please read it.

It's pretty long and there's lots of action in this chapter, so i hope you all enjoy!
When he stepped out of the house, he slowly made his way down the driveway. Spike wasn’t certain where Buffy had gone, but he assumed that she would be mostly likely to have gone to the Bronze.







He was about to head in that direction when he saw a sight that stopped him cold in his tracks.







A black 1967 Plymouth GTX Convertible.







The huge car was parked a little farther down the street but close enough for the man to identify immediately.







Spike would know that car anywhere. It still haunted his nightmares.







God! He’d seen it earlier when he’d gotten home, but his mind was so clogged up with other things that it hadn’t really registered with him.







No wonder that niggling feeling had been gnawing at his senses all evening.







And it only meant one thing if that car was here…Angelus was around.







And that meant Buffy was in danger.







“Bugger!”







He tore out into the night like the hounds of hell were hot on his heels. Momentarily, as he gasped for breath, Spike wondered if he should have quit smoking, but now was clearly not the time to contemplate it. Remembering the potential danger Buffy was in as he ominously passed one of Sunnydale’s many cemeteries he ran with renewed vigor toward the area of Sunnydale where the only half decent club in town was located.







When he got to the club, he barely acknowledged the doormen before entering.







The Bronze was dark and dusty; full of sweaty bodies and Spike felt a rush of nausea hit him as he realized that a combination of the shock of seeing Angel’s car and the night air had sobered him up.







Being sober was an unwelcome feeling these days.







Frantically surveying the patrons he eventually spotted Buffy’s little red haired friend sitting alongside some other people and weaved his way through the throbbing mass of people to get to them.







As soon as he got there he noted that Buffy was not with them, and his chest tightened even more than before.







Something wasn’t right, and if she was somehow with Angel…







Well he knew just what that man was capable of.







At the table he was immediately greeted the curious frown of a blonde haired girl that Spike didn’t recognize and the hostile glare of a brown haired boy that Spike vaguely remembered seeing around when he had first started dating Joyce. Returning the glare just as icily he bent down, clasping a hand onto Willow’s shoulder, making her startle in fright and whip her head around so fast she almost made herself dizzy.







“Spike!” Willow exclaimed, shocked to see him standing there. “What’s wrong?”







“Where’s Buffy?” He shouted, determined to be heard above the hellacious din.







“Buffy?” The girl flushed, realizing that she didn’t know exactly where her friend was. She hadn’t seen her since she left her alone with the creepy guy at the bar. “Um…well…here’s the thing…”







“Bloody well tell me now, Red!” He demanded, losing all semblance of patience.







His eyes were wide, not hiding the fear that clouded them, and his breathing was quick, small pants coming out rapidly as he waited for the answer.







“She…met…a guy. I think…maybe she left with him.” Willow stammered out, nervous at the behavior of the desperate man in front of her. To be fair, she didn’t really know Spike Rayne very well, so seeing him act like a wild animal about to rip its prey to shreds was naturally a little troubling for the teen.







“Who? Who was the sodding git?”







“I didn’t know him. I mean, I never saw him around before, so I don’t think he’s from around here. He was older, kind of strange looking…really tall, dark hair sticking straight up, dressed all in black.”







There are moments in life when it feels as if the world around you freezes, and all that exists is yourself and your pain. When Spike heard the description that Willow gave him, he experienced one of those moments, and audibly gulped, trying not to fall to pieces. Composing himself, he spoke very slowly.







“Did you get his name?”







“Yes! It was A..Angel.”







Not even bothering to toss a thank you in Willow’s direction, Spike turned and ran.







Barging people out of the way, he finally managed to exit the club and launched himself into the rabbits’ warren of alleyways that lay just outside the Bronze.







He was very familiar with old Angelus’ modus operandi, and so he was aware this was just the kind of place that Angelus would revel in. That sick bastard loved a game, and taking Buffy somewhere like this, making her veins fill with terror was just the kind of way that Angelus would love to torment a girl like her.







God! How could he have been so fucking stupid?!







After what happened to Joyce…he just let Buffy wander around town like she was as safe as bloody houses, and spent the time drowning his own sorrows in whiskey, leaving her to the wolves.







Or rather…one wolf in particular.







Spike vehemently endeavored to stay calm, and not to let the trepidation that he felt deep within himself get the better of him, but it was far from easy.







That’s when he heard it.







A single scream.







And he took off running once again in its direction.







He heard them before he saw them…Angel’s nasty mocking laugh and Buffy’s pleas, and a familiar red haze descended over him.







“Stop! Don’t touch me!” Buffy shrieked, pounding her tiny curled up hands against the man’s chest, tears streaming relentlessly down her flushed face.







“Come on, Buff! You know you want it. A girl like you doesn’t dress like a little slut like this unless she wants a good fucking.”







As Spike neared them he saw Buffy pushed up against the wall, Angel fisting her hair in his meaty fist while he used the other hand to paw at her. Angel’s knee was wedged between Buffy’s legs as he kept her pinned, and she was trying to wriggle away from him with all her strength.







Spike didn’t hesitate as he dragged Angelus off the girl in one swift move, spun him round and cocked his fist back. The taller man didn’t even have a chance to blink as Spike’s fist ploughed into his jaw, sending Angel flying back into the wall, a harsh crack sounding as he hit the brick.







Buffy screamed, turning toward Spike in shock. She had no idea what he was doing here, but all the anger and resentment that had build up since their almost-kiss faded away and the void that it left was filled with the passion for him that she had suppressed so much recently.







Seeing Angel was trying to get back to a standing position, Buffy back away to the other side of the alley. She didn’t want to be anywhere near the man who had tried to assault her. And she wouldn’t shed a tear if Spike beat the living shit out of the bastard either.







When Angel pulled himself back together, having only been phased for a moment, he realized just who was beating on him. He cupped his injured face tenderly with his fingers, stumbling a little as he got back to his feet. Laughing he stepped closer to Spike who was clenching his jaw in fury at his opponent.







“Well well well! If it isn’t Willy-boy! Didn’t expect you to be out taking a stroll this late at night. Then again, I would actually recommend it.” He lowered his voice conspiratorially and cocked his head toward Buffy, who was watching the scene with a mixture of shock and fear. “Never know what kind of whores you will find on the streets around here.”







Even though Spike knew that the other man was purposefully inciting him, he couldn’t help but be provoked. All the issues he had with Angel, old and new, came violently bubbling to the surface, and before Angel could say another word, Spike poured the anger from those issues into punch after punch, whaling on his old enemy mercilessly, until the other man was backed up against the bricks of the wall.







“Spike! Spike!” It took him time to register where the voice was coming from, before he realized it was Buffy who was shouting him. Glancing down he saw his knuckles covered with blood.







Angel’s blood.







The other man’s mangled face was covered in cuts and bruises, and his hair was matted to his forehead with the sticky red liquid. But he was still grinning meanly at Spike, a knowing expression fixed onto his face.







Finally Buffy laid a comforting hand on his arm, and he dropped his fists. The moment that Spike stopped punching him, Angel spit a glob of blood in his face.







Sensing he was about to restart the tirade, Buffy grabbed onto his arm, not exactly sure why she was pulling him away from Angel. It wasn’t that she wanted to protect the dark haired sociopath, but she couldn’t let Spike kill him. She didn’t want to be partly responsible for the death of another human being, no matter how evil he was.







“Need a woman to protect you still, Willy?” Angel taunted provocatively, his eyes flickering over Buffy’s tense form. “Do you think she would still be here if she knew just what you are, and what you’ve done?”







“Get out of here!” Spike warned, interrupted Angel’s spew of his own individual brand of venom. “Leave before I bloody well finish the job.”







Angel smirked.







“Wouldn’t be the first time you’ve done that, would it, Willy?”







Seeing that Spike was about to attack him again, Angel held up his hands in mock surrender, smirking at the shorter man.







“Now now! Little girl like Buff shouldn’t be exposed to all this violence. Don’t you agree Willy?”







He looked the pair in front of him over thoughtfully and the twin expressions of disgust and hatred on both Buffy’s and Spike’s faces made Angelus feel all warm and fuzzy inside. He knew that he’d done what he set out to do tonight.







Not that a taste of Buffy’s teenage pussy wouldn’t have been a nice bonus, but his main objective was to rile both of them up.







And judging by their postures and expressions, he’d succeeded without a doubt.







He liked to do things artfully, savor their destruction. The best downfalls came gradually.







Before Spike could make another move in his direction, Angel decided to flee. He might be evil, but he wasn’t totally stupid.







“See you around!” He yelled over his shoulder as he disappeared into the shadows.







Buffy and Spike stared after him, the shock of what had happened starting to sink in.







“Shouldn’t we call the cops?” Buffy turned to Spike, her face still swollen and stained from the tears.







“No! No bleeding police.” Spike said, before feeling all the heightened emotions come crashing down onto him.







“Why not?” She asked, genuinely bewildered. “He needs to pay for what he did. We can’t just let him walk. What if he does it to some other girl?” The guy had attacked her, and yet Spike didn’t want to involve the law. Then it struck her.







Spike knew Angel. And Angel knew Spike. Angel had called him “Willy” which meant that had to have been acquainted at some point. There were very few people who knew that Spike’s real name was William, after all. Although judging by the bloodshed, it was clearly not amicable.







“Why don’t you want the cops involved, Spike? I know you’re hiding something, and I swear to God, if you don’t tell me what you know…”







“Leave it be would you, Buffy.”







“No! I won’t leave it.” Buffy huffed. “Your buddy could have raped me and you won’t turn him in. You’re all denial-y!”







“He’s not my bloody buddy! He’s a rat-arsed git, and I would love to see him doing a good stint of porridge, but we can’t go to the police.”







“Why…”







“Just bloody well trust me!” Spike exclaimed harshly before softening his voice. “We will work it out, but you have to trust me on this one. Please?”







His puppy dog expression and genuine plea struck a chord in her and she slowly nodded. She would trust that he knew what was best, in spite of her own instincts. In this case, she knew that she didn’t have a choice.







She simply had to trust that somehow Spike would ensure that justice was done. She just wished she knew how he was planning to make that happen.







Although curiosity and suspicion still bombarded her, she pushed the questions to the back of her mind for now as she looked at Spike’s face, twisted with residual fear coupled with relief.







Clasping onto her upper arms he looked like he was going to cry. “God, Buffy, are you okay?” All the emotions of the evening were poured into that one question and Buffy felt her heart skip a beat.







Spike looked her over, tenderly checking for any injuries. Luckily, although Angel had roughed her up a little and scared her, the situation could have been a lot worse, and Spike had arrived before any real damage had been done.







She knew she shouldn’t have taken a stupid chance like that, but she’d been drunk and upset with Spike. And Angel had seemed so nice.







Okay, so maybe she was less of a great character judge than she had thought.







She nodded. “Yeah, I didn’t think I would be but you got here before he…” Buffy ran her hand over her face, pinching the bridge of her nose to stem the tears that were trying to flow once again, before she looked straight into his eyes.







It was amazing the way it struck her right there and then. His eyes were so open, so full of life, so kind. They were so different from Angel’s evil orbs. When she gazed into his deep blue eyes, it was as if she was looking right into his soul.







"What the hell were you doing out here with him anyway?" Asked Spike, trying to rein in his feelings.








"I just...I was dumb, okay? He seemed nice and then he gave me this tea, which I think was more than actual tea, because I went all tipsy-Buffy and then...then he said he would walk me home...and he pushed me up against the wall." She heaved in a shuddering breath as the weight of what almost happened hit her like a freight train.








Angel almost raped her. And Spike was her unlikely savior.








Garnering her emotions, she smiled at him. “Thank you, Spike. If you hadn’t come along…” Buffy trailed off, and sighed. Both of them knew what the outcome would have been if he hadn’t come when he did.







And then it hit him.







Buffy could have died, really died. Angel could have slaughtered her like cattle and left her to rot in a filthy alley, while Spike pontificated about the rights and wrongs of caring about the girl in a less than fatherly way.







Spike had suppressed his sexual urges toward Buffy for the past several weeks, telling himself it was wrong to do it now because Joyce’s memory was still so fresh, and that she was too young to be with him.







But she could have died and then she would never age another day, and he would never get another chance.







“Your hands…” She said, breaking into his thoughts. He looked down at his bloodied fists and smiled in grim satisfaction as he recalled the damage he’d done to Angel’s smug face. “We should get home, wrap them up.”







Spike nodded, but he didn’t seem to be able to move as she took one of his hands in hers and traced the palm gently, before turning it over and repeating the same gesture with his knuckles.







Hovering hesitantly he slowly approached her until they were almost chest to chest, his eyes focused lustfully on her lips. He was giving her every chance to get away or say no, but she returned his stare in the same manner. Everything about his posture oozed sensuality, and her body unconsciously responded.







Maybe this wasn’t the best time to kiss her, after the two of them had been in such a highly charged situation, emotions still running high.







But Spike could not muster up the will to care less.







The look that Spike was giving her sent her heart thudding wildly inside her breast, beating as if it would break through any moment. Even in all of her wildest, most sensuous fantasies Spike had never looked at her in quite this way, as if she was the center of everything, and without her he would fade away and die.







Then it all happened so fast.







Without a thought for the consequences, Spike crushed his soft full lips to hers, his velvety lips massaging her own before his tongue slid into Buffy’s mouth to intertwine with hers.







His arms came around her, pulling her body flush against his. Her hands wove their way into his hair, loosening the gel, and Spike moaned as her nails scraped the sensitive flesh of his scalp.







He knew he could happily take her right there and then.







Locked in their passionate embrace, the rest of the world faded away.







Finally they tasted each other.







And there had never been a taste quite so sweet.





Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!