Author's Chapter Notes:
Melissa gave me the idea for this chapter. xx

Thank you to her, Michele , and Spikesgurl for reviewing the last chapter.

Beta'd by basketcase_1880
FLASHBACK


Spike stalked a young boy that was leaving Sunnydale High school. The boy was the captain of the football team. He had stayed late with a teammate to practice. Lucky for Spike, his friend had walked home because he lived around the corner.

The parking lot was lit by a single light that buzzed every time the light would flicker. Spike waited at the side of the building and watched as the other person made his way to his car.

Spike had been working at selling hard cocaine at school. That particular person owed him five hundred dollars. He was foolish enough to lend him some coke for a party in exchange to fuck his girlfriend. The jock was always supposed to pay him the money, though. Spike never gave out freebies.


The football captain put the keys into the door lock of his mustang. He wasn’t able to turn the key because suddenly his head was slammed against the car door.

“Hello, mate,” Spike sneered, spinning him around and pushing his body against the door. “It’s been three weeks. I already gave you the warnin‘.”

The jock started shaking in his arms. “C’mon man, we’re cool.”

Spike laughed at his ignorance. He had been killing and beating people for four years. He was only eighteen but already fast on his way to becoming just like his father. Spike idolized his father. He wanted the money, the power, the drugs, the women. The black-haired punk glared at the quivering boy and smirked. He had warned him; he would kill the tosser if he didn’t pay by that day. The football player had tried to avoid him, turning a corner every time he saw the punk. He probably thought that Spike would merely beat him up again, break one of his fingers again. After all, what sort of eighteen year old goes around actually killing people, Spike maliciously thought.


“We’re not cool,” he said the word with disgust. “You owe me money. You wouldn’t happen to have it in that’ wankers coat‘, would you?“ Spike pulled on the varsity letter football jacket.

“I don’t have it. Look, dude, sometimes you just gotta take a hit. I’ll get you back next time. I’ll lend you my girl.”

“I only fucked her because it was like fucking a novelty. ‘m interested in my money,” he pulled a railroad spike out of his coat pocket. “Did I ever tell you how I got my name?” he chuckled as the boy looked down in panic at the spike. “I was sent to kill a guy, much older than you, when I came across a rusty railroad spike. See, I was taking the tracks cause’ that’s where he liked to hang out and drink. I forgot my blade so I was gonna beat him until he bled to death, when luck came across me and a weapon was there for my takin’-” Spike stopped when he heard a hissing noise and looked down to see a stream of wetness now covering the boy’s tight pants.


“W-What--,” the player stuttered.

“Can you guess what I did with the spike,” he held the spike at eye level and twirled it in front of the boy’s face. As the football player opened is mouth to either speak or scream, Spike shoved the railroad spike into his eye, pushing it all the way through his brain until he felt the hardness of the door on the tip. “I shoved it through his eye.” Spike laughed as he pulled the spike out and watched the boy thump to the ground.

Spike stared at the blood covering the weapon, smirking as he pulled out a cloth to wipe it clean. He turned around to head towards his car that he parked out of sight when he was shocked to see the school librarian standing there.

The older man was standing there, planted to the ground, not able to move. He had just witnessed a student murder another. He watched as the boy wrapped his hand firmly around the spike and looked at him. Fight or flight kicked in and he dashed across the parking lot, hoping to outrun the psychopath. He got a measly few yards before he was tackled to the ground. His face was pushed against the pavement.”

“Wrong place at the wrong time, Rupes,” Spike frowned. “It’s too bad really, I liked you; liked talkin’ to a fellow Brit while I was at school.”

“I won’t say anything---”

“Shut up,” Spike pushed the man’s head against the ground again. “Let me think,” a pause. “I may be a rotten bloke but I don’t kill at random. ‘m not worried about you tellin’; my dad owns this town. I jus’ rather not get all the attention.

Rupert Giles closed his eyes and waited for his death. He thought this would be his last night on earth. He was certain that Spike Rayne was going to kill him because he witnessed a murder. He was shocked and surprised when he was lifted up and his jacket was smoothed down.

“School’s almost done; people are movin’ on, yeah? I’m gonna be startin’ my own side jobs and I don’ want the connection to Ethan. If you can keep your mouth shut and play along for as long as I see fit, then I won’ kill you.”

“Play along with what?” the older man asked apprehensively.

Spike jokingly spread his arms out and spun around. “I want you to be my new daddy.”

 

**___**

 

Rupert sat at his desk, holding the officer's business card in his hand. Spike could have killed him that day, almost eleven years ago now. He was good enough to spare his life. However, when he got married and had a child, Spike started threatening his family. Obviously, his wife had to be involved with the secret, since people around town thought Spike to be his son. The younger Rayne went to the wedding and threatened his wife never to say a word or their unborn child would be killed. Deep down though, for some bizzare reason, he didn't think Spike would actually go through with that.

Spike didn’t have to pay him. He started paying him two years after their initial agreement. That was once he opened the bar and started killing more frequently. He came to Rupert one day with a large wad of cash and simply handed it over. Rupert and his wife, Jenny were living the life of luxury because of Spike. They paid off their house in a matter of six years from a thirty year loan. They had decent cars and the newest technology.

Spike Rayne and his father were evil people, and there was the risk of them someday tiring of the charade. But for now, he and his family were happy because of them. If he behaved and continued to play Spike’s father then the happiness would continue. His wife was investing a lot of money into her research and the money helped tremendously.

Rupert Giles crumpled Officer Gunn’s card in his hand, tossed it in the trash, turned off the light, and then closed his office door.


Chapter End Notes:
There will definitely be Spuffy next.....if you review and request it. ;-)

I really, really, really want a banner for this story. Does anyone want to do that for me?