Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it's been a while, but I will hopefully be updating this story (and all my other WIPs) more regularly now.

There is some Buffy/Other in the first couple of chapters, but nothing graphic, so please don't let it put you off...this is 100% a Spuffy story. :)

Enjoy! :)
Sunnydale - July 1999

In the cerulean sky the sun was fierily beating down on the throngs of locals enjoying the warm weather in Sunnydale Park. Teenagers were scattered across the arid grass and the sound of their laughter tinkled in Buffy’s ears as she traversed the crowds in search of her friends.

She was dressed stylishly in a short white linen skirt and baby pink T-shirt teamed with strappy wedge sandals, and her ensemble attracted more than one pair of eyes. Surreptitiously she wiped at the back of her neck with her hand as she felt a bead of perspiration trickle down and wished, not for the first time, that the weather was not quite so hot.

Spotting her friends sitting on a bench, she headed over to the group.

“Hey biatch!” Cordelia greeted her rising to her feet from her seat on a bench to give her best friend a warm hug when the young blonde reached them.

“Hi Cordy.” Buffy smiled, glancing at the rest of the group. “Hey guys.”

“Hey!” Harmony, Larry and Amy chorused flashing her warm smiles.

However, it only took moments before she realized one of the group wasn’t present.

“Where’s Scott?” Buffy asked as soon as she noticed her boyfriend’s absence.

“Can’t keep track of your own boyfriend?” Cordelia sneered playfully, flicking her hair back behind her shoulders.

“Of course I can. He told me he was gonna be here.” Buffy said.

“Don’t have a crisis.” Cordelia laughed. “He went to get an ice cream treat for you. He wanted to surprise you when you got here.”

“Aww really?” Buffy smiled fondly at the thought of her boyfriend. Scott was always so attentive to her, and never seemed to ask for anything in return.

“Yeah! You are like so totally lucky. It’s not fair!” Harmony whined with a childish pout.

“He is a great guy.” Cordelia agreed, a little begrudgingly, and Amy also nodded in concordance.

Suddenly Buffy let out a little shriek as she felt an arm snake around her torso and twisted her head to see who was behind her.

“Hey baby.” Scott smiled, pecking her on the lips with a short kiss.

“Hi Scott.” Buffy blushed.

“I got something for you.” Scott said. “It’s not as sweet as you, but nothing is.” He handed her a Popsicle while the other girls watched on, their expressions a mixture of dreaminess and jealousy.

She thanked him and unwrapped the icy treat, sitting on the arm of the bench while he stood behind her, allowing her to rest her head against his chest.

“So…” Scott asked Larry with a smirk, “…how did it go last night?”

“Oh man!” Larry laughed remembering how much fun he’d had egging the house of their tyrannical former high school principal. “It was fucking sick, dude! Snyder came out just after we ran away and he looked like he was gonna have a coronary.”

Everyone laughed, their hatred for the wannabe-dictator welling up inside them.

Principal Snyder had managed to make their four years of high school an absolute living hell, mostly because he resented their popularity. It was his favorite pastime to torment them with after school detentions and forced hellish weekends cleaning the school bathrooms.

Oh yeah he deserved what he got.

Since they graduated and were off to college in the fall, doing dares had become customary for the friends, and Larry’s turn was the latest in the series.

They were all a little concerned that this would be their last real chance to have fun together as they were going to different colleges and so they had determined that they simply had to pack as much fun as possible into this last summer together.

Of course, that ‘fun’ primarily entailed getting drunk and doing dares.

And Larry had leaped at the chance to take the dare of egging Snyder’s house, although it was juvenile.

However, Buffy didn’t think that he quite lived up to the swagger. No dare was complete unless you waited for the fallout.

“You ran away?” Buffy smirked when the laughs died down. “Didn’t you have the balls to stick around and rub it in his face?”

“Oh, I got a big pair of cojones, baby.” Larry replied affronted. “Want to see them?”

Buffy wrinkled her nose up and a laugh bubbled through her lips. “Sorry, Larry, I don’t think I can see them right now…I left my microscope at home.”

“Ooh burn!” Scott chuckled.

Buffy smiled and placed her hand on Larry’s arm. “I’m just kidding, Larry. You know that right? I don’t think you’re a wuss…much.”

He gave her a lopsided smile but his eyes twinkled mischievously in a way that told her he would somehow try and get his own back.

“Now it’s your turn, Buff.” Cordelia pointed out with a devilish smirk. “You’re the last one standing without a dare under your oh so stylish belt.”

“We have to come up with something crazy-ass fun for you, Buffster! Something that proves you’re not a…wuss.” Larry chuckled.

“Ooh ooh!” Harmony shrieked and jumped off the bench as if she was suffering some kind of seizure. She waved her arms manically and the entire group took a communal step back. “I have the best dare!”

Cordelia rolled her eyes and huffed out a laugh at her platinum blonde friend’s expense and Buffy hid her smile behind her hand as she noticed the brunette’s antics.

“I don’t care what you say, Harm, but I’m not wearing fake designer shoes.” Buffy smirked at her platinum blonde friend. Every time they picked new dares, Harmony always contributed the same suggestion.

Harmony wrinkled her nose and pouted. “But that’s like in the top ten of icksome fashion crimes. Only poor people wear fake designer stuff. That dare would be kick-ass!” This time everyone in the group rolled their eyes. While they all realized that they had a touch of superficiality to them, Harmony was pretty much a one-dimensional Barbie doll.

Cordelia waved away Harmony’s suggestion, disguising the laughter in her voice with a cough. “It would be bad, but we still want Buffy to be able to show her face in public, Harmony. And fake clothes would be at least a half a decade in forced exile.” She said, heavily sarcastic.

Buffy smiled at Cordelia. Over the past few months, she had really witnessed the girl maturing from the superficial pseudo bitch she had once been.

“How about the Crawford Street Mansion?” Amy piped up, taking a swig of her drink.

“What about it?” Buffy asked warily. Even the mere mention of that place made her skin crawl. It was the stuff of legends and not the good kind.

“You should spend the night there. Prove that you’ve got the balls.” Amy said, nudging Larry who nodded vigorously.

“I’m a girl. I don’t have balls.” Buffy replied.

“What she has is way better!” Her boyfriend chimed in, leering sleazily.

Buffy slapped his chest with the back of her hand lightheartedly but her posture was tense. She really didn’t want to go near that house.

Ever since she had moved to Sunnydale three years earlier, she had been regaled with tales of the ‘haunted house’ on Crawford Street. The legends about the mansion ranged from ghosts to monsters to weird sex cults.

It wasn’t that she even believed in the existence of anything supernatural. But a tiny part of her was still that little girl who was afraid of monsters in her closet and it shied away from the idea of going into the creepy-ass dilapidated house. Whether or not there really was a ghost, a monster or a squad of murderers living there, was a moot point in Buffy’s mind.

Creepy is as creepy does.

And whatever the truth was, she was happy to stay far away.

“Come on, Buffster.” Larry encouraged her heartily. “It’ll be fun.”

“Fun for you guys, maybe.” Buffy scoffed. “That place gives me wiggins of the major kind. It’s creepy.”

Cordelia laughed. “You don’t really believe the haunted rumors about that house, do you?”

“I believe that spending the night in a big scary abandoned mansion can never be of the good.” The blonde retorted, raking a hand nervously through her hair.

“I can think of some ways it could be of the good.” Scott smirked. “I could come with you and I bet there’re some beds there where we could have a little fun of the NC17-rated kind.”

Buffy threw up her hands and stamped her foot.

“Listen guys and listen hard.” She yelled vehemently, her eyes scanning the group. “There is nothing and I mean nothing that will ever get me to go spend the night in Crawford Street Mansion!”


Chapter End Notes:
I hope everyone enjoyed this. More coming soon!