Author's Chapter Notes:
CHAPTER 30: Damaged Goods

CHAPTER RATING: M

CHAPTER PAIRING: Buffy/Spike, Dawn & Clem

TIMELINE/SPOILERS: AU after AtS "Not Fade Away"

DISCLAIMERS: All BtVS characters are the property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy Productions. I'm just fixing their mistakes!

CHAPTER CREDITS: Lines from the BtVS episode "Smashed". Lyrics from "Balloon Man" by Robyn Hitchcock.

CHAPTER NOTES: Here's a little bit of angst, since it's been a while! Also, just a reminder that this story goes AU after the last episode of Angel, so whatever happened in the Las Vegas of the Spike comic series STAYED in that Vegas; none of that storyline feeds into my story.
.

He was waiting for her when she shoved the crypt door open. He was always waiting for her, like a dog who wasn't entirely sure his master would return.

Buffy hated it.

She hated that he stayed there for her, no matter what she did to him. Why didn't he leave? Why didn't he bark at her? Bite back? Chase her away? No, he followed her around- watching out for her, protecting her. How could he be this way to her when the ones she loved couldn't?

She hated it.

The longing in his eyes as she approached. The way they worshiped her with their crisp, true blue.

"Don't look at me like that," she spat at him.

He flinched very slightly, but she caught it.

"You think you love me?"

Spike straightened. "You know I..." he began, but didn't get a chance to finish.

She hardened her eyes to him. "Show me."

The way his face stilled at her command made her grit her teeth. He began to move towards her, but she stepped back.

"No. I want to see how much you want me."

When he finally caught her meaning, he hesitated. She could tell he was trying to figure out if this was a test.

But it wasn't a test. At least, not one he could ever pass. She made sure of that with the scowl that had risen on her face.

Spike tugged his shirt off, then unzipped his pants. He slowly deposited the clothes on the cold floor of his crypt and stood there before her, naked.

She appraised him, but her features did not change. "Well, go on then. Show me what I do to you. Prove it."

Anger and hurt flitted across his skin as he reached down and began to stroke himself. If this was what it took, he'd give it to her. Love's fucking bitch, he was...and apparently always would be.

She knew he was humiliated. That had been her intention from the start. She was playing with fire hoping to get burned.

But it was taking longer than usual for him. He was watching himself, concentrating.

Then she approached, continuing the assault. "You like me because you enjoy getting beat down." The words echoed in his home the way they did in that abandoned house.

He remembered that barb. His eyes shot back up to hers.

"You're not in love with me. You're in love with pain. Isn't that right?"

The demon came forth then.

Just what she wanted. Just what she was trying to prove to herself. He was a thing, not a man. An evil, disgusting thing.

Only, he didn't stop. No, he gave her what she asked for. His hand pumped his erection hard as those burning yellow irises bore into her. She pushed him into forbidden territory now, and it drew her closer.

When she reached for him, he growled and pulled away, his gaze never breaking hers. It was when she finally placed her hand over his that the demon's seed was spilled.

...

"...and I laughed, like I always do...and I cried, like I cry for you...and balloon man blew up in my hand..."

Slowly, Buffy came out of her sleep, the music on Clem's radio having subconsciously drawn that awful memory to the surface. Dawn was slumped over in the passenger seat while Clem was cheerfully maneuvering the Vegas strip. She rubbed the wetness out of the corners of her eyes. They were here. Here, as in the place they figured Spike would be. Oh God, how was she supposed to act when they found him? Their last moments together were like something out of a movie. This was not an average, run-of-the-mill reunion. She'd been so sure of every movement she'd make if she saw him again (and she certainly had enough dreams about it since she'd lost him), but now her insides were twisted up by this painful memory. What if that's how he remembered her? Not the passion but the loss, the complete disregard for his feelings. What if all this time apart just gave him confirmation that she had not wanted him?

.


.

Angel was not having much luck in New Orleans. This sort of thing had been so easy the last time he was here that he had to admit he felt a shred of disappointment. Where were all the bayou sorcerers and priests of the dark arts who had always walked the streets and lived in the shadows of the buildings? Had the city really changed that much? The French Quarter certainly looked the same as it did the last time he saw it, minus the cars.

Walking down St. Ann Street, he remembered Marie Laveau. Such an odd but powerful one. It was before Dru's time, but she'd have had a feast with the old priestess. And he would know—he made Dru that way. If only Madame Laveau were still alive. Darla wouldn't have let him turn her, but he almost wished now that he had; he desperately needed her services. Instead, he embarrassingly settled on a visit to the New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum. Yeah, it was a stretch. It was kind of campy in a way, and sure, it was touristy...but maybe that was the perfect cover for those with actual voodoo knowledge. Who better to curate and guide than practitioners? But the employees were not particularly helpful. In fact, he'd almost say they were wary of him. They didn't strike out, but the look in their eyes told him that they knew what he was. He tried to ask for their assistance or for referrals to others who could perform the kind of witchcraft he needed, but they would not divulge any such secrets.

Oh, this was turning out to be much more work than he had planned. Why couldn't things fall into place for once? His bloodline connection told him that Spike was still in existence, but it did not tell him where. He was sure the vampire had left the West Coast, but he wasn't sure where he would have ended up. A major city, definitely; Spike needed that kind of action. But beyond that, it was anyone's guess. New York, maybe? Chicago? Apparently not here in New Orleans.

He'd try some more—this city was filled with denizens of the night other than voodoo priests, so he eventually had to luck out somehow.

.


.

It was Buffy's idea to split up.

They'd been up and down the strip, hitting every casino, hotel, diner, and dive they passed. Nothing. She thought they'd have better luck in the more dangerous areas, but there was no way she was letting Dawn come with her. Just as she knew there was no way Dawn would stay put in the RV. So she suggested that Dawn and Clem try the landmarks and exciting, brightly-lit places. To her surprise, Dawn jumped at this chance. Clem would be worn out by night's end, for sure.

But by 3 a.m., Buffy had almost wished they'd just stuck together. Every few minutes her cell phone would ring, with Dawn excitedly babbling on the other end about some new place, food, or tourist she and Clem had just run into. It kinda defeated the purpose of splitting up. Especially when Buffy was trying to be stealthy. But she found that the vampires here were well-fed and slow. And, lucky for her, they also liked to gamble on their un-lives.

Buffy let an elderly vampire escape for the information that Spike (who was apparently a bit of a celebrity among the undead) had, indeed, been through Las Vegas. The key word for her, though, was through. She had to interrogate a nest or two before she decided the old vamp was probably telling her the truth.

"Omigod, why didn't you ever tell me about drag queens?" Dawn squealed once they all met up again.

"Umm... huh?"

Clem mouthed an apology behind the younger Summers girl, shrugging. He had the sticky red glaze of a candy apple on some flaps of his chin.

Dawn continued: "Like, this girl...well, I guess it was a guy, actually...omigod, she was so funny and singing this song about...umm..." She blushed. "Well, about guy things and stuff, and then everyone threw dollar bills on the stage and she totally had like bigger boobs than anyone I know!"

Buffy held her head for a second. "Again with the huh? What were you doing at a drag show?"

"That was my fault," Clem said gently. "I remembered that my cousin's roommate's sister's ex-boyfriend's uncle was a performer there. So I thought maybe he'd have some ideas for us."

Hello, welcome to my life! Buffy thought. "Did he say he passed through here?"

Dawn bounced around in response, likely in the throes of a sugar high. "Totally! I knew he came here!"

"Said he was here for a little while, but that his nephew's friend's brother offered him some work in Detroit. And that was the last they heard from him."

Hmm... Detroit? Buffy had heard of a huge demon problem there, so that did kinda make sense.

The three of them looked at each other before Dawn giggled happily. They were getting somewhere now.

.