Author's Chapter Notes:
So here is chapter 3, i hope you all enjoy it!
She practically ran through town on the path to the library. She needed to get away from people. Maybe she’d been a bit overdramatic with that guy back at the diner, but she couldn’t quite summon the will to care. Her feelings and nerves were frayed, not something she could really help. She was jumpy, and so not in the kind of mood to continue talking to people. And the last thing she needed was a new person in her life, especially one who hit on her. Buffy didn’t like to let people in anymore.

The library was one spot she hadn’t been back to during her recent exploration of MayBell, and when she finally reached it she let out an instant sigh of reprieve. The place was old, but big. There were three floors, hundreds of books, and staircases with creaky steps.

At least that’s what she remembered about the book emporium. It was the only building asides from Grams’ house that she really missed in this town. When she’d been younger the library was the place she enjoyed investigating the most. It had been magical to her little ten year old heart, and even now nine years later, Buffy still felt like she could get lost here and never want to be found.

She took notice of the individuals reading or perusing through book shelves. The first floor was always a bit too loud for her, from what she recalled. The front door was always opening and leading people in and out, letting in drafts of air. The second and third levels were much better for relaxing.

The whole place was beautiful of course, and for such a small town MayBell’s library was larger than many Buffy had seen back in San Francisco.

The floor was carpeted, but if things hadn’t changed much then the second and third levels would be sporting hardwood. Mismatching antique chairs surrounded tables, and cushioned sofas lie in every corner. Tall paned windows stood on the East and West walls with autumn leafed ivy covering them, streams of sunlight breaking through areas of the foliage. She found it odd that the ivy changed color before the trees did. She looked up as she headed for the wide staircase. You could see the higher levels enclosed by banisters, with more big windows warming the place and highlighting dust particles in the air.

Buffy ascended and regarded the next floor. More people were here. There were couples sitting on loveseats reading together, and a few young girls in various spots hauled up in lounge chairs with stories of their own. Other adults who were alone sat at tables studying, or searching through aisles for a desired tome, while one stray boy was busy sifting through the card catalogue.

Too busy. She kept on moving ahead, going up the second and narrower staircase, leading herself to the third floor.

This level was the smallest, with area rugs covering places where large padded furniture rested and small writing desks were set. The windows let in more light up here, being as the ivy wasn’t as thick. The stacks were lined parallel to each other every wall. There were two big tables on opposite ends of this floor, and every chair or window seat seemed to be hidden away. A set of book shelves always managed to keep the cozy areas half enclosed, making them appear secluded.

Buffy smiled.

Empty. There was no one here. Not even a person searching through one of the bookcases for a volume to read. It was private, and hushed. Perfect.

Most of the library’s occupants probably felt that the first floor was a little too disruptive, just as Buffy did, but none put in the extra effort to go to the top floor. Or maybe they didn’t like being completely alone. Maybe they enjoyed reading without interruptions but didn’t enjoy the feeling of isolation.

The girl walked over to a champagne pink, chaise lounge. The seat looked old and well kept, with beautiful embroidered fabric. It was one of those couches that only had a back to lean against and a single side. Something you’d see in a 40’s movie with a rich aristocrat lying down on it, talking into a turn dial phone, her sherry brought to her on a silver tray in a crystal cup.

Buffy was no member of the aristocracy, but removed her coat anyway and sat down, putting her bags on the ground. She peered around the area one more time and spotted a bathroom not too far away, but again no people. She gave a moment’s hesitation before slipping off her shoes.

She curled up in the seat by the window and took a book out of her bag. Knees bent and feet tucked, sunlight hitting the pages and engulfing the small print. There was a glass shaded lamp to her left that sat atop a square wooden table, and one of the glass panes behind her was open just a crack, letting in the fresh air.

Buffy emitted a contented sigh.

She’d found a public safe haven.

><

The time slowly dragged on, the sun started to set. Colors of orange and yellow changed to grey and brown.

It had begun to rain. Thick clouds with edges of black came fast and without warning. Thunder was far off in the distance with its lightening flashes, but the water that battered the library’s roof was here and strong, having caused Buffy to close the window a while ago.

She didn’t mind the storm. She actually liked the rain, the smell of it and the loud noises that scared others calmed her. It was like that weird capability some people had to fall into a peaceful sleep while watching a horror movie.

She kept turning the pages of her book, having never read it before and enjoying it immensely. Anyone who discovered this floor and walked by was invisible to the girl’s senses. She was too arrested by words, too lost in another realm.

At peace as her heartbeat sped up and her mind swirled due to the choices made by the characters in her novel. The calm sections of the story relaxed her muscles. Foreboding details in the print made her tense. Painful moments carried heavy sadness easily to her core.

She was content to stay there and suffer or smile at the flip of a page; and she did. The only thing that managed to rip her away from repose was the seemingly sudden necessity to pee.

Buffy slipped her shoes back on and looked around as she set down the book. The whole room was lit by pretty sconces patterned on the walls, not to mention the light coming from the lower levels and the lamp Buffy had switched on a bit ago. She peaked her head around the book shelves that blocked a little of her view from the rest of the area.

She didn’t see anybody so she decided to leave her things where they were, and headed towards the bathroom that was directly across from where she sat.

She had to walk around the opening in the middle of the floor that was outlined by mahogany banisters, and she looked down at the people below. It was very quiet, serenely so, but several individuals still decorated the interior of the library.

The girl moseyed on, casually looking at her surroundings. The walls were brown, but not an ugly shade of it and the floorboards creaked in some places as she walked over to the single restroom.

><

He immerged from the stacks, where he’d spent over an hour searching for a new story, an appealing book to get his hands on. The man was antsy now- Well actually, he’d been this way all day.

He had plans, very important plans involving a girl. A girl he’d been after for a long time now.

He’d been looking for ANYthing to help him keep his calm for a while before he met up with her tonight. She was beautiful and kooky and funny and had the prettiest-

“Whoa- Hey!” Michael was torn from his daydreaming by the black clad figure that’d just rammed into his side. “Excuse you.” He shook his head as he slipped on his raincoat for the third time that day, rolling his eyes when the rude man didn’t offer an apology for running into him.

Michael muttered something unintelligible beneath his breath as he exited the library.

The dark soggy figure walked quickly through the room. His hair was wet, along with his jacket and boots, but he hadn’t exactly been ducking for cover from the storm. If anything rain was preferred over most other weather; really he liked the doom and gloom.

He stopped and shook out his bleached hair, bending over and drawing some attention from the action. He’d been here enough times though that no one ever questioned his less than neat placement in a place like this. No one talked to him at all actually, which was fortunate.

He pulled a hand through his messy hair, rolling his eyes at the condition it was in. He could feel the curls running through his fingers.

Sauntering over to the flight of stairs, he headed upward with natural recognition of every step and creak. Reaching the second story he peered around for a moment. Not many were there, only about four people. The first floor had more occupants, which wasn’t uncommon for this time of day.

Spike put his boot down on the next step in front of him and made the ordinary move onward when his nose suddenly twitched. Something was off. He caught a whiff of- What was that?

He followed his set path and the smell got stronger, and he reacted to it. It was feminine, definitely. One of those scents that made you inhale deeper it was.

Spike kept climbing until his shoe was flat atop the floorboards of the third level.

Why did he smell something? Why did it feel… different, up here? No one ever came to this floor unless they were passing through to use the loo because the ones below were occupied, or they were looking for a specific book that was kept in this area of the library (not many interesting ones that was for sure).

The space never permeated with thick aromas, only faint overlays of individual fragrances ever, and none were this strong. The privacy offered on the third story of the building was why he liked it so, but as Spike examined his home away from home, it appeared that someone had intruded.

His jaw twitched as he began looking around for signs of another. The lights were dimly golden and his gaze quickly went to his precious hideaway. It appeared untouched. His volumes and notebooks were still carefully placed in the slots he’d left them, on the highest ledge. At least the stranger who’d invaded his territory hadn’t gone as far as to find his personal collection.

A lamp was lit behind another large bookshelf, and he strode over to it, inhaling as the heavenly perfume he’d been breathing in got abundantly stronger. On one of the pink lounges sat a worn coat, with two bags on the floor next to it. Spike’s eyebrow quirked.

He felt unashamed for peering inside of the shopping bag that sat there. There were some clothes along with another smaller sack holding cosmetics inside. He spotted a book resting on the table where the lamp was, its smooth hard cover stained in places with no summary of the story on the back or printed within the beginning pages.

Spike flipped to the first chapter, and the complete absence of copyright nonsense made him believe he was holding a very old book. With the way the words flowed…

He closed the novel and read the title he’d originally just glanced at. It sounded familiar, maybe he’d read this once.

His ears picked up a soft sound coming from the bathroom and he turned, putting the book back in its place. He sent a fleeting look to the backpack that lie by his feet, curiosity that he had to push aside jabbing at him. He was prepared to try and get this bird to leave, whoever she was. At least make her want to move down a floor. This was his space, and she was invading it.

Nobody came up here and stayed. They never wanted to, and he appreciated his luck with that. Whoever this chit was had a mind similar to his apparently. Less people = Good.

He didn’t rightly care much about being an arse, and he didn’t like company. Spike stood.

He walked over towards the restroom, leaning against the wall and waiting with his ankles and arms crossed.

><

Buffy ran the water and washed her hands, looking into the mirror and sighing at her reflection. She looked tired, but then again, she always looked tired, even when she wasn’t.

She dried her palms with a napkin and opened the door, stepping out of the bathroom only to stumble almost immediately.

“What- …” And she turned around to see what had tripped her, eyes catching on a pair of Doc Martens.

The boots were attached to a set of skintight pants. Her sights reached the bottom edge of a leather duster, and then a black belt. A close-fitted T-shirt that matched the rest of the man’s ensemble, followed by the only bright thing that was a part of this being’s appearance.

His eyes. Even the expression that held them was dark, but God those eyes.

Spike straightened, his hands climbing higher on his crossed arms.

Oh, well... This was interesting. He hadn’t expected it to be her, the girl whose strangeness had him noticing her earlier today. She’d occupied his thoughts for a mere few minutes, but he certainly hadn’t forgotten her.

The lady’s light sweater draped loosely on her frame, her ripped jeans looked old and well worn, with a small patch in the denim resting high on her thigh. Her great big green eyes blinked a couple of times, and a slight frown begun to mar her brow. Her lips were slightly chapped Spike could tell, and when she started to nibble on them he knew why.

His icy blue gaze was still piercing straight through her, Buffy was sure, but she managed to shake it off. His stare felt familiar in a really wiggy way.

She realized after a moment that he wasn’t about to apologize for tripping her, so she sighed. She didn’t care enough to actually pick a fight with the guy.

“Might wanna watch where you stand.” Was all she said, an annoyed head tilt and eyebrow raise accompanying her otherwise ‘couldn’t care less’ manner.

He watched her meander back to her little spot slightly hidden away from the rest of the room. Her hips swayed but you could barely tell do to her clothing’s fit. She turned and planted herself back on the lounge chair, the girl’s ponytail whipping around violently. Her eyes found his again, bugging slightly probably because she was surprised he hadn’t stopped watching her yet.

The green gaze shyly and cautiously lingered on his form for a couple seconds more, before returning to the cover of her book. She flipped it open to where she’d stuck a bobby pin in as her bookmark, and seemed to ignore him as she started reading.

Spike took in the sight of her sitting there, he watched her as she slowly became less and less aware of the area around her. Her legs lifted onto the couch and were instinctively tucked beneath her body, her eyes didn’t blink as often and he could see them moving back and forth like a typewriter’s platen. She was lost to the world.

He was a little entranced by her. She had an oddity about her. She’d looked weary when she’d come out of the loo a moment ago, but now as she read she seemed lively in a way he hadn’t seen before. A comforting glow surrounded her, it was invisible to anyone and everyone, but she looked at peace and concentrated while engulfed in her story. She was beautiful and if Spike wasn’t a man of many pasts he’d say she was far from human, at least she seemed to be right at that moment. She seemed ethereal.

With that thought in his head, Spike shook himself out of this reverie and frowned. He opened the bathroom door quickly and went inside, even though he had no intention of using the facilities. He started pacing slightly, though he couldn’t have realized it if he’d tried. Pacing was a habit.

The chit hadn’t even looked at him like he didn’t belong, like his punk appearance and rude behavior didn’t fit well into this warm library setting. She’d simply blinked at his arrogance and brushed it off like she didn’t have the time for his attitude.

It was so weird, for lack of a better word. The moment he’d gone up here and realized someone else had inhabited his space, Spike had wanted whoever it was GONE.

But the moment he’d seen the girl, his feelings had altered for no apparent reason.

Maybe it was because back at Pretty Penny’s she had intrigued him, her beauty and distressed eyes. Her hair, her scent that he now knew was divinely sweet. Something about her had him a bit transfixed from the very first glance, which was more than Spike could say for most people- Okay, everyone. She was… interesting, and the Brit found he wasn’t too rushed to make her leave anymore.


Chapter End Notes:
See! They met! sort of... Well i hope you guys liked this one =)
please review!!! *hugs*