Chapter 6

Dreams and Desotos



Surprise snuck up on the older man's face. "Why, to bring you home, of course."



Spike and Buffy exchanged amused looks. "Giles, I am home." Buffy sent her mom an apologetic look as hurt settled over her face.



Giles looked at her with something akin to disbelief, eyes wide and unblinking. This was home? Any response he might have made was postponed by the creaking sound of the front door opening.



"Hey! Where are you guys?" a loud voice called out.



Relief filled Buffy at the unexpected, yet well-timed, interruption. Anything to escape this old, familiar feeling of having to justify herself yet again. "We're in the kitchen," she called out, ignoring the looks her mom and Giles were sending her way.



Elaine paused with dramatic flourish just outside the wide kitchen entryway, breaking out into a wide, leering grin when she saw Spike leaning against the kitchen island. "Ooh yeah..., I see I got here just in time," Elaine drawled, allowing her eyes to run over Spike's muscular chest appreciatively. "Very nice... very nice, indeed." Elaine looked at Buffy and winked, then took a closer look at her friend, noting the unfamiliar tension that Buffy was exuding. Something was definitely wrong.



"So, that's why you wanted to come early?" Rick grumbled good-naturedly, coming up behind his wife and taking her in his arms.



"Of course," Elaine replied airily, leaning into his embrace. "It's not every day a girl gets to see sexy vampires without their shirts on, you know."



Spike merely rolled his eyes, per usual, and played along. "Your wife bloody well scares me, Rickie."



"Yeah, she scares me too," Rick replied, stepping around Elaine and walking into the kitchen. "I should have figured something was up when she rushed me out of the house- " His voice trailed off as he noticed the strangers seated awkwardly around the kitchen table. "Oh, sorry. We didn't know you had company."



Elaine walked into the kitchen and saw the middle-aged man and woman perched at the table, and threw Buffy a questioning look. She could read the panic and anguish in her friend's eyes, and it wasn't a far leap to realize this was someone from her past. Elaine walked over and gave Buffy a welcoming hug, whispering in her ear, "Do you want us to stay or go?"



Buffy clutched at her friend like the lifeline she was. "Oh god, please stay," she whispered back, her voice stressed. She looked over at her mom and Giles, who were staring at her friends with curiosity and barely veiled irritation. "Uh, Mom, Giles. These are our friends, Elaine and Rick," Buffy introduced awkwardly. "Giles is... was, my Watcher." Giles started visibly at the introduction, realizing this pair was aware of Buffy's Slayer status.



Elaine put on the false, bright, smile that she usually kept reserved for annoying customers, and crossed the room to shake hands. "It's so nice to meet you both!" she gushed. Turning to Joyce, she added, "And I just have to say, I love your daughter to death. She's absolutely the best friend I've ever had. The day she moved here was probably the best day of my life." At the pained look her husband threw her, Elaine giggled. "Besides every day with you, sweetie." She blew him a quick kiss in apology.



Joyce smiled weakly, not replying, as she watched the loud blonde begin an airy conversation with her daughter, completely excluding the other occupants of the room. Then she realized it was being done intentionally.



Buffy looked up at Spike, who had thus far, managed to hold his tongue remarkably well. "You better go get ready," she informed him.



He looked at her in surprise. "We still going?"



"I didn't make all these cookies for nothing."



Spike gave her an appreciative smile, leaning down to press a quick kiss to her lips. "If they get out of hand, just sic Elaine on 'em," he whispered in her ear, before drawing away and leaving the kitchen. He paused to inform Rick of the presence of beer in the fridge.



Rick walked over to their refrigerator and helped himself to a beer, before taking one of the empty seats at the kitchen table. The atmosphere in the kitchen had grown tense. Buffy offered beverages to her guests, and her mom commented how strange it was for her daughter to play hostess.



"So, does it always snow like this?" Joyce inquired, desperate to quell the uncomfortable silence.



"Yeah, pretty much. It took a while to get used to it, that's for sure. You know, total California girl, and all," Buffy replied getting back to her cookies, scooping more balls of dough on the sheet.



"Uh, how long have you been here?" her mother asked, desperate to fill in the blanks that her daughter's absence had created.



"Almost a year, I think it's been."



Deeming this whole situation unacceptable, Giles turned to Elaine. "I hope you don't mind my asking, er, Elaine, but I heard you refer to... Spike as a vampire."



Elaine heard the hostility in the crisp, British voice at the reference to her friend, and bristled. "Yes, I did."



Giles stared at her, waiting for her to elaborate, then realized that was the end of her sentence. "Yes, well," he began, finding himself growing increasingly aggravated, "then you are aware of that fact?"



"Isn't that what I just said?" Elaine replied in a confused voice, eyes purposely wide, causing Buffy to have to bite her lip to hold back a snicker as she stood at the kitchen island, transferring another batch of cookies onto the cooling rack.



"So, you don't mind that he's a vampire?" Joyce found herself asking, curious to hear their reaction.



Elaine exchanged looks with Rick, who was absently flicking through one of Spike's magazines. "Mind?" Rick asked neutrally.



"It... that is... it doesn't bother you?" Giles asked, his agitation escalating, completely missing the black look Buffy threw his way.



Rick slapped the magazine closed and leaned back in his chair. "Look. Spike and Buffy are our best friends, ok? Yes, we know Spike is a vampire. Yes, we know Buffy is a vampire slayer. Does it matter? No."



Giles mind was ready to explode with the implications these two had just made. He stared intently at Buffy's alleged friends, seeing if perhaps his first opinion was completely off. By all appearances, they seemed to be a typical middle class couple. The woman, Elaine, was a bit overdone and loud for Giles's taste, but they certainly seemed normal enough. Spike must have worked some serious mojo to make these two so oblivious to the danger he presented, yet had so easily befriended.



Ripping his glasses off once more, he turned in his seat to look at Buffy, desperate to make her see how dangerous this was. "Surely you can see that something is very wrong here. Good Lord, you are the Slayer, and yet, you are harboring a known killer in this town. I'm quite sure there have been a rash of unexplained deaths or injuries since you've been here. How can you be so blind? You are being completely irresponsible."



Joyce shot Rupert a look of dismay; this wasn't the way they had agreed to handle things. Yet, apparently Rupert felt the need for accusations. Joyce knew from experience that this was the absolute wrong way to approach Buffy, and could only hope Rupert knew what he was doing.



Buffy's reaction was much as Joyce had feared. Even their unexpected arrival hadn't dimmed the happiness and peace Joyce could see surrounding her daughter. However, Rupert's words managed to do just that, leaving a chilly replica in her place.



Buffy drew herself up slowly, feeling every muscle tighten in response to the harsh, unfounded, accusation. Poised, she quietly replied, "I don't expect you to take my word for it, or even the word of our friends. If you feel the need to investigate these things for yourself, I encourage you to do so."



Giles held the determined gaze of his Slayer who seemed so different from the girl he had last seen, and found himself nodding his head. "Very well. I believe it is my duty to pursue this avenue. Perhaps you could point me in the direction of the library?"



Joyce gaped at him, incredulous he was leaving so soon after finally locating Buffy. All she wanted to do was sweep her daughter into her arms, and beg for her forgiveness. Joyce was beginning to see the reason behind Buffy's desperate need for escape; the Council had been her shadow this past year. Even now, their intrusion was enormous.



"You're kidding, right?" Joyce heard Buffy's friend, Elaine, ask.



"I beg your pardon?" Giles asked haughtily.



Elaine exchanged looks with Buffy, and saw nothing in her face that gave her a red light. "I mean, the whole 'point me in the direction of the library' thing."



Buffy could see Giles getting his little British feather ruffled, and was suddenly very tired. She so didn't need this. Deciding to be kind to Giles, and not let Elaine get a hold of him, Buffy interrupted, "Giles, the library is closed. Just... come with us tonight, and you can talk to whoever you want, ok?"



"You're going someplace?" Giles sounded outraged.



"Yes, we are going someplace." Buffy replied in a steely tone.



"Well, I would think that you could cancel whatever plans you have..." Giles began to say, only to be interrupted by Buffy mother.



"Rupert," she said sharply. "If Buffy has plans, she has plans." Joyce looked at her daughter. "I'm sorry we just barged in on you, Buffy," she apologized, pleased to note when some of the previous contentment re-entered Buffy's eyes.



Buffy allowed her body to relax a fraction. "It's ok. No big." She smiled hesitantly at her mom, feeling a surge of guilt at the profound happiness that surfaced on her mom's face at the hesitant gesture.



Spike swooped back into the kitchen at that moment, wearing his usual bowling outfit. He'd heard every word the Watcher had said, and was fighting the urge to cause the git a great deal of pain. But for Buffy's sake, he knew he had to play nice. She was taking the last batch of cookies out of the oven, and he went to stand by her.



"Why don't you go get ready, luv?" he suggested softly, his eyes searching hers. He could see the pain swimming in her eyes, and drew her into his arms, holding her for just a moment. Spike could practically feel the contempt burning into him from the Watcher, and had to steel himself not to react. There was no way he was going to give the man the satisfaction of acting true to stereotype.



"So, where are you going?" Joyce asked, watching the tender way Spike held her daughter.



"It's bowling night," Elaine announced.



"You bowl ?" Giles asked incredulously.



"Yeah, and they're damn good at it, too," Elaine commented.



"Spike bowls as well?" Giles inquired, a confused look marring his face.



"Yes, Spike bloody well does," Spike retorted, turning Buffy around and giving her a slight shove towards the entryway. He had just looked at the clock and realized that they were starting to cut it close.



A half hour later, Buffy and Spike walked hand in hand into the bowling alley. However, this time, it was not with the usual carefree abandonment they usually presented. Even if it wasn't for the presence of the strangers shadowing behind them, the change was immediately noticeable.



"Hey! It's Fanged Lightening!" one of the men called out in greeting, causing Spike to snort. The usual rounds of hugs and hand shaking commenced, with Rick and Spike heading for the bar soon thereafter. Buffy was almost worried Spike wouldn't come back, but knew he wouldn't desert her like that.



The bowling alley was crowded, and the faces were all familiar ones to the regulars. Giles found himself looking around in stunned shock. He had never set foot in a bowling alley in his life, and now he knew why. The idea of renting shoes that had been on someone else's feet was appalling, making him visibly nauseous.



It hadn't escaped his notice how his slayer and... Spike, seemed to be acquainted with everyone present. They were a loud group, and so far, no introductions had been made. Although to be fair, they weren't exactly there as esteemed guests.



Buffy had shown he and Joyce to a little table, than had gone off with her crass friend somewhere. Giles met Joyce's eyes, and saw the curiosity lurking there as she looked around.



"I have to say, of all the scenarios I imagined where we'd find Buffy, something like this was never even a consideration," Joyce admitted.



Giles had to admit to the same thing. "I rather thought we'd find her working in an out-of-sorts diner somewhere."



Suddenly, a drink was banged down on the table in front of him. Scotch. Giles looked up and saw Spike standing above him. In his capable hands was a tray laden with several different pitchers. "Just call me the soddin' barmaid, Joyce. Beer or diet coke?"



When Joyce was unable to do anything but stare stupidly in his direction, he arched a scarred dark brow.



Joyce finally found her voice. "Uh... beer." Spike nodded, and set down one of the empty mugs on the table. He poured it full from the pitcher, placing it front of her. With a sly wink in her direction, he deftly picked the tray back up and strode over to the group of people that were clustered around the middle lanes. They watched as he put it down on one of the tables, and called out that the bar was open.



"Do you think they know? What he is, I mean?" Joyce asked, her curiosity more than piqued.



Finding himself flustered, Giles sputtered, "I should say not."



Joyce saw Buffy heading towards them, her friend finally gone from her side. She was more than aware of the curious looks that were being sent in their direction, and wondered how Buffy was going to introduce them.



Before Buffy could get to the table, Joyce saw her engulfed in an enthusiastic hug from a distinguished-looking older gentleman. She saw her daughter's face light up as they exchanged pleasantries, then Buffy grabbed his arm, remarking, "You are so the man I was hoping to see here tonight. Do you have a few minutes?" Joyce heard the man assure Buffy that he would do anything for her, then her daughter closed the short distance to the table, bringing the man over to be introduced.



"I wanted you to meet my mom and... an old friend of the family, Rupert Giles," Buffy announced, as Giles got to his feet, extending his hand out. His hand was clasped with a sure grip, as the two men sized each other up.



"When I'm not 'mom,' I'm Joyce." Buffy's mom said teasingly, earning a round of laughter from the newcomer.



Buffy rolled her eyes slightly, before saying, "This is Dr. Adler. He's the Director of our Emergency Room." She pinned her stare on Giles, then turned to the doctor. "Our friend here, Mr. Giles, was curious about some things in our town, and I thought maybe you could help enlighten him a little?"



Giles felt very much put on the spot, but nodded encouragingly when the ER director assured him that he'd help in anyway he could. He and Buffy sank down into the two empty chairs, both looking at their watches in sync, realizing they had a few minutes before their games began.



"So, what can I help you with?" Dr. Adler inquired, curious to finally met any of Buffy's family.



"Well, I do quite a bit of research, you could say," Giles began, unsure how to phrase it without seeming obvious. "And I was just wondering if there was any trend of accidents recently, that fit a peculiar... profile? Perhaps injuries not easily explained?"



Dr. Adler gave Giles an odd look, then tipped his head in Buffy's direction. "Why didn't you just ask Buffy?" At the confused looks that met that remark, it didn't take much to figure out that these were some of the people that Spike and Buffy didn't want coming to look for them. "No, I can honestly say there have been no unexplained injuries lately."



Giles tipped his head in response. "I see. You wouldn't happen to know if there have been any increase in missing persons, would you? I know it seems like an odd question, but it correlates with my research, you see."



Dr. Adler gave a wry smile, keeping his gaze locked on the man in front of him. "Look, if you're trying to subtly find out if Spike is slowly offing the town, the answer to that is no. I'm surprised Buffy didn't tell you that." He looked over at her and caught the look on her face, actually laughing in response. "Ah, I see you tried."



Giles finally comprehended what it was this doctor had said. "So... you know about what Spike is?" he asked in shock, his contempt palpable.



Dr. Adler nodded, then turned to shoo Buffy away. If he was the one who had to tell the story, he didn't want her sitting there listening. When Buffy had finally left, rejoining Spike and Elaine, Dr Adler turned back to Joyce and the family friend, and his face turned serious.



"There is just one thing you should be aware of before I tell you my piece. This town thinks pretty highly of your daughter and her husband..."



"Husband ?!" Giles uttered disapprovingly.



Dr. Adler's face hardened. "Yes, husband. I reviewed her job application myself, and that is how she listed him. Husband. Spouse. At work, she refers to him as her husband. I think that is clear enough, don't you?"



"You work with Buffy?" Joyce asked in confusion.



Dr. Adler heaved a pained sigh and realized he'd probably be missing a few games tonight. "Yes, she works in the ER. She's our best ER tech."



He noticed her mother looked oddly proud, while the 'family friend' had a tight look on his face. "Anyway, as I was saying, Spike and Buffy are well thought of here. Whatever problem you have, I suggest you keep it to yourself."



"This is ludicrous!" Giles muttered, shaking his head in disgust. "He's worked the whole town."



Dr. Adler leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. "I take it you don't care too much for Spike?"



"I should say not! He's a cold blooded killer," Giles sputtered.



"I don't know about his past before he came here, and quite frankly, I have no desire to. All I can tell you is this-the Spike we've had the pleasure of knowing this past year is a good man."



Joyce took a moment to study her daughter and Spike mingling with their friends, their arms looped easily around the other. It was clear they cared for each other, even Giles wouldn't be able to deny that. Joyce was trying to differentiate this carefree, joking man with the morose, intense vampire that had stood in her living room so long ago. There was little similarity left.



"How did you find out he was a vampire?" Joyce found herself asking.



Dr. Adler's face grew animated. "Well, I found out with about half the town," he replied. At their questioning look, he continued, "It's a bit of a long story, and I'd really appreciate no interruptions, if you don't mind."



Giles took the hint, and nodded, bringing the drink that Spike had brought him to his lips, as he listened to this man's story.

"It was an occurrence at Larry's Bar." Dr Adler paused to take a sip of his beer. "Buffy's birthday, actually. A gang of bikers blew into town. Turns out they weren't your ordinary bikers. We kind of figured that one out when they locked all the doors and grew fangs." He paused to appreciate the shocked looks he was receiving. "So, everybody in the place pretty much froze, too horrified to move, and the bartender was just about to get eaten..." he paused once more for dramatic effect, "When suddenly Spike walks up to the leader and tells him to shove off, told him that this was HIS town. The leader just laughed a bit, then leaned down to bite Gary and damned if Spike didn't grow his own set of fangs. He rescued Gary, told the leader that we were his people, then Buffy jumped in and I got a lesson on the post mortem disintegration of vampires."



Dr. Adler took another sip of beer, then looked meaningfully at Giles. "So, like I said, this town is pretty protective of those two."



Giles felt like his mind was running on two separate levels; one where he wanted to believe in the Spike that this town did, while the other screamed at him that vampires do not change. That their evil is inherent and as immortal as they are themselves.



He quite honestly didn't know what to think.



tbc...