Thanks to Maidenro and Beanmommy for guidance on this chapter.

Chapter 7

Joyce continued to watch Buffy from afar as a new level of respect for her daughter washed over her. Buffy was not acting like the "rebellious teenage fugitive in hiding" that Joyce had so often imagined. Neither was she acting like the broken lamb Joyce feared she'd find. Rather, she was acting in a very adult manner, and it was clearly obvious that this small, close knit town was now her home.



If only Rupert would realize that. Joyce was jarred from her silent musings to hear Giles questioning the physician that worked with Buffy. He was apparently sacrificing his bowling time in an effort to make her and Rupert realize a few basics facts about the lives that Spike and Buffy now led. Joyce was beyond horrified to hear the hostile tone that Rupert was using to question the doctor. The watcher's back was rigid in his seat, and his features were grimly set as he bit out his questions in a clipped manner.



Joyce had to hand it to Dr. Adler; he was holding his patience and composure rather well. She listened in growing horror as Rupert began bringing up Spike's past atrocities, embellishing one hundred plus years of the murder and mayhem the vampire had committed, and watched as the ER doctor's face began to close off. Enough was apparently enough.



"Rupert." Her voice was short and forceful.



Giles stopped mid-sentence, and looked at Buffy's mother in a questioning manner. "That is more than enough," Joyce chastised, throwing Dr. Adler an apologetic look.



"Really Joyce, I think it is only fair that this town is made aware of what exactly they have let roam amongst them."



"The town has seen what is amongst them, Rupert," Joyce pointed out.



"Look, I sat here and let you ramble on and do you know why I did that?" Dr Adler cut in. " I did it for Spike and Buffy. We know what Spike is. And while he may not be the first one picked for babysitting duties, the majority of this town trusts him, myself included. As you can see, the town has kept the secret pretty well. There hasn't been a rush of trashy magazines like the National Enquirer storming our town to do a story on the 'Vampire Who Saves Town from Vampire Bikers." Dr. Adler made sarcastic use of air quotes as he mentioned the fictitious title, while pinning a harsh look on Giles. "So I suggest you drop the attitude. I can guarantee it will not be tolerated here. By anyone."



With that ultimatum, Dr. Adler pushed himself to his feet, and with one last warning look, strode confidently over to the lanes his team was using.



"Well, I never..." Giles began to sputter.



"He's right, Rupert. Knock it off."



"Really, Joyce, you have no idea what Spike is capable of, regardless of how much he appears to have restrained himself. His inherent nature is evil, never forget that. He is, and always will be, a demon."



"Look, you said it yourself, we need information from Buffy. But you're doing such a fabulous job of getting her upset, she's not going to want to talk to either one of us," Joyce felt compelled to point out.



"I'm just doing what is necessary."



"Oh, stop sounding like a damn watcher for a moment, will you? I've had about enough of your organization to last me a lifetime." Joyce pushed herself angrily to her feet. "Buffy is what is necessary. That's my little girl, in case you have forgotten. She's happy here, Rupert."



"Yes, well, be that as it may, things will change soon enough. She is the chosen one, after all."



Joyce looked at him in growing disbelief. "I cannot believe you. All that time, I thought you had her best interest at heart. Do you have any idea what this last year has been like for me, Rupert? How many nightmares I've had that my little girl is scared and hurt and crying out for me, but I'm not there? I was so frightened we were going to find her broken, shattered into tiny pieces. Instead, I find her like that." She gestured behind her, where Buffy was laughing at something Rick had apparently said, her arm easily curled around Spike's waist, the vampire watching her daughter with reverence and Joyce felt her throat tighten.



"I find my little girl happy. And you know what? I feel like I've been given a precious gift. You and your damn Council chased my daughter away a year ago, but it didn't break her. But what are you doing now? You're trying to accomplish just that, Rupert. And this time, I will not stand for it, do you hear me???" Her nostrils flared in the heat of her self-righteous anger as she stared down at the man who was in league with those who had caused Buffy so much pain. Her anger slightly misplaced, but it well directed at this particular moment.



Giles felt his resolve give way, and his body went lax. "I... I'm sorry, Joyce. I don't quite know what to say. You... you are right." His head bowed, not about to bring up the fact that she wasn't completely innocent in Buffy's defection. "I believe I've been holding on to some issues of anger and betrayal that haven't been very easy for me to let go." Giles looked around. "The very fact that we are discussing this in a bowling alley is quite deplorable, wouldn't you say?"



"Well, beggars can't be choosers, I've come to learn," Joyce announced, determined to hang on to her anger. Turning her back on Giles, she strode across the floor in the direction of where her daughter was now seated. It pained her to see her daughter tense with apprehension as her approach was noted, but Joyce managed to plaster a pleasant smile on her face, nonetheless.



"Can I sit?"



Buffy's face relaxed and a genuine smile emerged. She gestured to the empty chair next to her, and watched with a small amount of trepidation as her mom took a seat.



"Can I get you another beer, Joyce?" Spike asked, reaching behind him to grab a full pitcher and an empty glass.



"Thank you, Spike." Joyce took the proffered mug and took a sip, welcoming the bitter brew. This vampire was evil? He had better manners than her own offspring. "I'd go get my other mug, but to be honest, Rupert is being kind of an ass."



Spike's snorted derisively. "Yeah, I heard." Joyce gave him a questioning look. "Vampire hearing," he explained.



"Ah." Joyce was aware of the numerous stares being sent her way, and wondered what had been said in explanation of their sudden appearance in Windmont. Spike, however, took care of that.



Setting his beer aside, he lumbered to his feet and pulled Joyce to hers. "Eh, listen up, all you wankers and wallflowers. Got an introduction to make. We got Buffy's mum with us. Meet Joyce."



For the first time in as long as she could remember, Joyce found herself nervous. It wasn't just the semi-hostile and curious stares that were now directed solely on her, it was the pending reaction of her daughter that caused a rush of panic to surface. Again she marveled at the fact that this vampire possessed something in the way of manners, and when she felt Spike's arm hook around her shoulders in a friendly manner, Joyce found herself relaxing slightly. She was having a hard time remembering that he was supposed to be evil.



"Now, the first time I met Joyce here, she clocked me but good on the head with the business end of an axe," Spike announced. "Not sure what her problem was, really. Just because I was trying to kill her daughter and all. Been meaning to say thanks for saving the day there, Joyce."



There was a spattering of laughter at that, but protective as always, their friends were far from convinced, having taken note of Buffy's tension that evening.



Buffy got to her feet, rolling her eyes. "Please. If she hadn't hit you, I still would have kicked your ass."



"If you need to keep thinking that way, by all means, go ahead. Joyce and I know the truth." A wink was sent in Joyce's direction.



Buffy looked at her mom standing there with Spike's protective arm around her, and a flood of emotion suddenly rushed through her. Emotion that she had tried valiantly to ignore since her mom's unexpected arrival. "Mom," she choked out, suddenly throwing her arms around her. "You're really here."



Tears began to fall down both of their cheeks as mother and daughter clutched each other, leaving Spike to take a step back, with his patented look of disgust present. "Eh. If you're going to do the sniveling girlie thing, take it elsewhere, will ya? Makes me want to heave."



Buffy pulled away from her mom and sent Spike a grateful look, knowing he had acted in such a manner to ease the rising emotions and smooth Joyce's path back into Buffy's life. He was always pretty insightful.



Buffy turned to face her friends, a genuine smile brightening her features. "Guys, this is... my mom!"



In a matter of moments, Joyce found herself introduced to dozens of people, as the protective attitude of the assembled group faded away and their usual friendly manner took hold. She was told over and over again how wonderful her daughter was. Buffy's friend, Elaine, finally warmed up and gave her a tight hug, thanking her for giving birth to such an "awesome chick."



Deciding he had put up with enough feel-good emotions, Spike finally called out, "Eh people, we're here to bowl, remember?"



Taking the hint, people finally wandered back to their lanes, leaving Joyce alone with Buffy's bowling team, consisting of Spike, Elaine and Rick.



Spike turned to look at her, a challenging gleam in his eye. "So, Joyce. You bowl?"



+++++++++







Multiple attempts to get Giles to join them in bowling had failed. He had been determined to sulk in the bar, his British snobbery shining through, as he looked down his nose at the slightly worn atmosphere of the bowling alley. Joyce finally gave up trying to deal with his behavior, knowing that the Englishman was doing irreparable damage to his relationship with Buffy, and oddly, not caring very much.



To her surprise, Joyce found herself enjoying her time at the bowling alley, once she gotten over her initial apprehension. It was odd being with her daughter in a situation different from her traditional role as the parent; and Buffy, as the child. Her daughter had grown up in the time since she had left, and Joyce found herself regretting that she had missed seeing her daughter grow into a mature, young woman. She pushed aside that negative thought, determined to make up for lost time.





Buffy and Joyce's newfound states of contentment fled the moment they arrived at Buffy's home. The short trip from the bowling alley had been worry-free, having been filled with easy conversation about bowling, their league, and the personal stats of some of their friends, as Joyce felt the pressing urge to learn all she could about this place Buffy now called home. Giles had remained incommunicative, and there had been no attempt made to draw him out on the quick drive.



After Buffy had stored her and Spike's bowling bags in the hall closet, she turned to her mother and Giles. "Um, I need to get the guest rooms ready."



"I am quite sure there is a serviceable hotel near by. We'll be fine if you could just put us on the proper route." Giles replied primly, ignoring the warning growl from Spike's direction.



Joyce looked at him with irritation. "I'm staying here, Rupert. It's already been discussed."



"I believe I should have a say in this matter."



"Well, maybe if you would have heaved your bloody arse out of the bar, you would have been consulted," Spike bit out, storming into the kitchen. He was holding onto his demon with everything he had, the urge to rip into Giles so overwhelming, it was almost painful. He hadn't felt rage like this in a long time, and was in desperate need of a distraction.



"Hey Buffy, can I eat these left-over cookies?" Spike called out to Buffy, his hand already reaching for the plastic wrap that covered the tub of cookies.



"Just don't eat them all, save a few for me," Buffy answered, picking up on the agitated tone in Spike's voice. Suddenly, she was exhausted. Looking at Giles, she asked, "So, where are you going to stay?"



TBC...