“Anything?” Buffy asked nervously.

God, it had been a month.

Faith had been working at Wolfram and Hart for a whole month, and she wasn’t any closer to getting the goods on Xander. The only thing the brunette had been getting better at was fending off his advances. She’d even managed to spill coffee on Xander’s laptop and get some friends to check it out, but nothing turned up.

Buffy's nerves were fraying too. Xander hadn’t done much more than text her this past month, mainly because of his fixation with Faith. But Buffy knew this was merely the calm before the storm.

“Looks like the son of a bitch is clean,” Faith sighed. “Too clean. I
mean way way too clean.”

“I don’t know how much longer I can do this,” Buffy said. “I can’t take this anymore.”

“Legally, he’s solid,” Faith said. “But….”

“But?” Buffy asked.

“There might be an…extra-legal way of doing things,” Faith said.
“If you’re up for it.”

“Okay,” Buffy said.

Buffy knew she had no choice. So she did exactly as Faith instructed. She texted Xander telling him she was missing him and that she wanted to meet him Friday night.

“I’m not sure about this,” Buffy said nervously, pausing at the doorway of the hotel lobby.

“Relax B,” Faith reassured her, taking her hand. “I’ll be right behind you. I promise. Just make sure you “drop” the room key a few feet away from the door.

Buffy nodded, her lips quivering for just a second. Faith gave her the tiny vial, which Buffy slipped inside her purse.

“What did you tell him?” Faith asked, trying not to bring up
William’s name.

“That I’m with you,” Buffy said.

“Okay,” Faith sighed. “Good.”

Ready? Faith’s eyes asked. Buffy nodded.

She knew there was no other way. Xander’s place was heavily guarded. Her place was out of the question. It had to be here.

Here and now. They had to get him. Buffy took a breath, and then
entered the lobby. Faith waited for a couple of minutes and followed Buffy inside.

Faith kept at a distance, watching Buffy approach the lobby.

“Hi,” Buffy said, leaning against the counter to keep from shaking as she addressed a thin, tall concierge. “I’m….Mrs Harris,” she
said, trying not to wince. “There’s….a key…..left here for me.”

“Change of plan,” she heard a voice say. Buffy froze. She flinched when she felt him kiss her shoulder and his arm curl around her waist.

“You……were supposed to wait upstairs,” Buffy said nervously, failing at trying to sound casual.

“I just couldn’t wait,” Xander whispered. “Let’s go.”

Buffy tried to think quickly. “Which room did we get?” Buffy said, her mouth as dry as cotton.

“The most expensive one,” Xander grinned, his hand moving up from her stomach. “That’s all you need to know.”

Buffy caught his hand before it strayed into a dangerous area,
and shot him a look that said not here.

“Which room?” she asked the concierge. I’ll get Faith the room number. Somehow. I’ll get it to her.

“The honeymoon suite Mrs Harris,” he said fawningly.

“Would you mind sending up your best bottle of champagne?” Buffy requested.

“Already done,” the concierge remarked.

“Satisfied?” Xander asked, as Buffy looked back at him.

Over his shoulder, Buffy saw a Faith being spoken to by a large, bald-headed guard in a uniform. She heard the man raise his voice a little, and saw Faith take two steps back so that she was out of view, obscured by some plants. The voices got louder. The concierge swore, apologized profusely and stepped out from behind the desk to go deal with the situation.

Xander craned his head in that direction. Buffy panicked. If Xander saw Faith, he’d get suspicious. And then the jig was up.

“Take me upstairs,” Buffy said huskily, making Xander look back at her and smile.

“Yeah?” he said, leaning in for a kiss, but Buffy placed her hands
on her mouth, stopping him.

“Upstairs,” she said, simply.

Faith managed to sneak a peak at Xander taking Buffy’s waist and walking towards the right, until they were out of sight.

“Look,” Faith hissed, still keeping her voice low, just in case.

“I’m here to meet a friend. He’ll be down any minute.”

“I understand Madam,” the concierge said smoothly, “But I’m
afraid I’ll need a name. The hotel lobby is for guests of guests only.”

“My business is private,” Faith said, her voice steely.

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of, the concierge thought.

“Then I’m afraid you’re going to have to wait outside, Madam,” he said, feigning politeness.

The bald headed guy attempted to take Faith’s arm, but a look made him reconsider. Faith folded her hands and walked out, surreptitiously checking her cellphone to see if she’d gotten a message from Buffy. Already, she was planning to sneak back in and get upstairs. All she needed was a few minutes.

“Keep your eye out for that one,” the concierge muttered,
“Hookers.”

Buffy thanked the almighty for the crowded elevator. But as soon as they’d stepped out onto the fifteenth floor, they were alone. And Xander’s grubby hands were pawing at her, making her feel dirty.

“Not here,” Buffy said, when Xander pinned her against the wall, “Inside.”

“Here,” Xander rasped, his eyes devouring her. “Now. I can’t wait.”

“But……” Buffy said, searching her mind for a way to get them inside. She needed to get inside. “But it’s our honeymoon,” she blurted out.

Xander froze, his lips on her neck.

“Baby,” she pleaded, touching his face. “Our first time should be special. Not like this”

Xander took a moment to consider it.

“You’re right,” he said, standing up to look into her eyes. “Sorry baby.”

“It’s okay,” Buffy said, trying to breathe normally. “I forgive you.”

“I don’t believe you,” Xander said, his tone playful, but with a hint of seriousness.

Buffy managed to hold his gaze.

Pretend it’s Riley. Safe. Non-threatening. Riley.

“Let me show you,” she whispered, taking Xander’s hand and
pulling him after her.

Faith swore to herself. The bald-headed security guy was basically stalking her.

Come on fatty, Faith thought, as she lingered at a safe distance across the street from the hotel. Go have your ciggy. You know you want to.

But the security guy only stared at her. Faith grit her teeth in frustration, then decided that she’d walk away, give it fifteen minutes and circle back.

“Be careful B,” Faith whispered, looking up at the brightly lit rooms of the hotel, before she turned on her stylish heels and walked away.

Just be careful.

On any other occasion, Buffy would have found herself speechless at the elegant and spacious suite. But she barely noticed. Already, her brain was whirring as she tried to focus on her plan and taking in her surroundings.

Xander directed her to the nearest closet, and Buffy opened it up to find a vast array of lingerie and ran her hands idly through the silk and sheer fabrics.

“Something in red,” Xander suggested, his hand resting on the small of her back.

“I think I can manage that,” Buffy said, breathlessly. Xander mistook her nervousness for ardour and smiled. Buffy saw his good mood and chanced upon it.

“How about you go shower?” she suggested innocently. “Give me a few minutes.”

Xander looked at her intently, almost as if searching her for any signs of betrayal. Xander stared at her for a long second, then turned in the direction of the bathroom.

Buffy listened carefully, pretending to inspect the items of the closet. Only when she heard the bathroom door shut and the shower turn on, did she let out a heavy sigh and allow a stray tear to emerge. Quickly, she wiped her wet cheeks.

Hurry, she thought.

She took of her heels and walked over to the bar. She opened the expensive champagne and poured it into the two empty
glasses provided. As per Faith’s instructions, she retrieved her purse from the sofa, opened the vial and poured it into one of the drinks. She let it settle at the bottom of the drink, then stirred
carefully.

“What is it?” Buffy remembered asking, earlier that day, when they had met at Faith’s apartment.

“Don’t worry B,” Faith said, “It’ll get the job done. He’ll be out like
a light.”
“So….after we drug him……we….” Buffy stuttered.

“Not at the hotel,” Faith reminded her. “Too much security. Too many cameras.”

“So what then?” Buffy asked.

“You leave,” Faith said. “Make sure you’re seen on your way out. You have to make sure of that.”

“And then?” Buffy asked.

“I call in a friend,” Faith said, cryptically. “Someone who owes me. And then……”

“You…..” Buffy said, in a hushed voice.

“Not me,” Faith said. “My friend. Takes care of him.”

And then Buffy heard the shower turn off. She forced herself to deliberately walk back to the closet, her footsteps muffled by the carpeting. And then she was back, pretending to examine the vast array of outfits.

After a few moments, she felt his presence behind her.

“That was fast,” she said, casually.

“Couldn’t wait,” Xander said.

She could feel his eyes burning a hole through her back.

“I can’t wait either,” Buffy said, her voice choking up with emotion, just a little. And then she fought to get control of herself.

I’m going to enjoy watching you suffer, you bastard.

“I said Red,” she heard him say. “Red. Not black.”

He sounded a little miffed, she realized.

Remember B, she remembered what Faith said. You have to
keep him sweet. Right until he has that drink.

“Sorry,” Buffy said, turning to give him her fake cheerleading smile. He was standing there only in a pair of pants, a towel
draped over his chest.
“All these clothes. I just lost track.”

Buffy leafed through the closet, pulling out something red. It was practically a tablecloth, she realized.

“How about this?” she asked, modeling it on herself.

A slow smile spread over Xander’s face.

“I’ll go change,” Buffy said, walking past him, when suddenly she felt his hand on her arm. Her heart pounded as he turned her
around so that she was looking into his eyes.

“I can’t wait,” he said, his eyes twin pools of darkness, then began pulling her close.

Make him trust you, she remembered Faith saying, resisting the violent impulse she felt.

“I can’t wait either,” she said, closing her eyes to pretend Xander was someone else, when their lips met.

Riley. Riley. Riley, Buffy thought, and then she pushed him off her, then walked away.

Xander watched her go, then got into bed, all the while playing with the phone he’d kept hidden in his hand.

Time for the fun and games to begin, he thought, as he clicked on the phone to stop recording.

Then he began typing out a text message. He looked down at it, with satisfaction and pressed send.

Across town, William's cellphone buzzed. He looked up from the pile of papers on his desk, and thought about ignoring it. He had a ton of work to get through.

Could be Buffy, he thought. He picked up the phone and frowned. It was from someone unknown. He opened the text message and read it. He blinked. Then read it again. And again. And again. And again. There were only had seven words, but they were enough to cause his hands to shake.

Do you know where your wife is?

William forced himself to remain calm. He dialed his home number.

Pick up love, he thought, his heartbeat ticking up. Pick up. Pick up.

No reply.

Buffy was at home. Wasn’t she? No wait, she was with Faith.
William dialled Buffy’s cellphone, trying his best to ignore the message. It rang a few times and went to voicemail. He tried to speak, but found that he couldn’t. So he hung up. He tried to call back the number, but found that it just rang. His heart hammering now, he called Faith.

“Oh shit,” the brunette cursed, looking down at her phone. It was William.

Why the fuck was he calling?
Faith knew she couldn’t answer the phone. He’d want to talk to
Buffy, which right now was out of the question.

“Pick up goddamnit,” William growled. “Pick up.”

“Sorry Will,” Faith whispered, turning off her phone and putting it in her pocket as she hung around just outside the hotel, waiting for the coast to clear.

William tried Faith’s number again and again and again. Finally, out of options he texted back the strange number.
Who is this?

There was another reply. But this time, it was an audio file. Spike clicked on it, downloading it to his phone. He hesitated to open it, then pressed play.

“I can’t wait,” he heard a female voice say. The voice was unmistakeable. It was Buffy. The tone was one Spike had heard before. It sounded raw with emotion. Intimate.

And then he heard a sound he couldn’t quite identify. A muffled sound.

He knew he had heard it, but he couldn’t believe it. So he clicked on the file again. Once again, he heard it. He paused on the muffled sound. Listened to it closely. Again. And again. And again. Soft and wet. Soft and wet.

It’s a kiss, Spike thought, in a daze. A kiss.

He stood there for a moment, his world shattered.

It couldn’t be he thought. And then he got another file. He clicked on it, almost robotically.

“I’ll go change,” he heard her say, her voice trembling a little.
There was no mistaking the voice. That voice. It was Buffy! His mind swam. What the hell was going on? Where was Buffy? And with who? And then he received another text. This time with an attachment.

Don't worry about Buffy. I'll take care of her tonight. She's in good
hands.

William’s hands shook as he clicked on the attachment. Instantly, a photo of Buffy appeared. She was holding up a tiny red negligee against her body, as if modeling it for someone. She was smiling.

Another message arrived.

Have a great night Willy. I know I will. And don't worry about
Buffy. I'll take good care of her.
XOXO

William stared at the phone in his hand, squeezing hard. And then he flung it against the wall, crying out in rage and despair. He found the nearest wall and punched it again and again until he’d sunk to the floor, cradling his head in his hands as tears fell from his eyes.

Xander turned his new phone off and tossed it aside, a wide grin on his face. He could only imagine the pain bleachboy was going through. So many fancy things you could do with a cellphone these days, he mused.

He lay back in bed, sighing. If only you knew it was me Willy. Alas, I have my good looks. And a reputation at work to keep up. Can’t be seen stepping out on the boss’s daughter.

And then the bathroom door opened, drawing his attention to it. Buffy slowly stepped into view. She was wearing a red negligee that ended an inch below her panties and showed a lot of cleavage.

Buffy said nothing. She just tried to breathe normally and let Xander look at her. Keep him distracted. From the corner of her eye, she could see that the drinks she had made were untouched. She needed to get him to drink.

So she took a few steps towards the bed, her heart pounding. Her hands shook as she casually lifted the champagne glasses from the small table.

Buffy sat down on the bed, trying to keep her expression pleasant, handing Xander a delicate glass. He said nothing, but a small smile curled around his mouth. He examined the drink and brought it to his mouth but her hand stilled him.

“No,” she said. “Not like that.”

She brought his hand and the champagne glass to her lips. The one she hadn’t drugged.

“Like this,” she said, taking a small sip. And then she offered her own glass to him.


“To us,” she proffered. He grinned.

Oh the son of a bitch liked the sound of that, she thought.

“To us,” Xander said. Smugly.

Buffy’s heart raced as she watched the liquid brush his mouth. She had to stop herself from tipping the glass and trying to force it down his throat. She couldn’t afford to get him suspicious.

Drink you son of a bitch, she thought, keeping a fake smile plastered across her face. Drink.

After a small sip, Xander pulled his head back, licking his lips.

“Delicious,” he declared, plucking the glass from her hand, then took another sip. Buffy's eyes lit up.

“Too good to drink all at once,” he said, placing the glass on the night table behind him.

Buffy tried desperately to keep the smile frozen onto her face, even as she began to panic.The light dimmed in her eyes. She frantically tried to think of a way to get him to drink.

“But it'll….” she began, but he cut her off.

“Gotta go slowly,” he rasped, his hand curled around her thigh and squeezing softly, making her shiver.

With fear.

“Savour it,” he added, his eyes running up and down her body, lingering on her breasts.

Buffy searched his face for any signs of intoxication. She did notice that his eyes seemed a little duller and his words slurred slightly. But then his hand moved up to her waist. And his grip was strong. Far too strong. And then he was laying back and pulling her down with him.

“This will be a night you’ll never forget,” Xander whispered, when she was finally lying on top of him. “I promise.”

Buffy tried to block out her predicament, thinking of an escape route. But she couldn’t suppress the anger she felt flare up inside her.

“Neither will you,” she said, her voice hushed and deadly.

Xander looked up to see her eyes darkly hooded and nostrils flaring.

He smiled, mistaking her anger for ardour. Buffy gasped when Xander roughly spun them around, pinning her underneath him, finding the wind momentarily knocked from her. Xander smirked, mistaking her heavy breathing for pleasure.

Not a word was spoken for a few seconds. And then Buffy felt
Xander’s hand move against her. Slowly. Buffy didn’t have to look down. She knew he was undoing her negligee.

Faith, she thought desperately. Where are you?

“Let me,” Buffy said, moving her hands to try to still his, hoping to buy some time. But Xander just brushed her hands aside. Her gaze flickered to the champagne glass by the night stand. If only she could get on top of him. She could reach for the champagne glass and get him to drink.

“Xander……” she began. Chuckling. Nervously.

“I don’t want to just lie here. I need to…”

“You need,” Xander said, his voice raspy, his fingers still working the strings.

“To relax,” he added. And with a few final pulls of his fingers, Buffy felt the strings come undone.

“And let me take you,” he rasped.

Buffy could hardly breathe as he began slipping the tiny scrap of fabric off her shoulders.

“I missed you,” Xander said, kissing her neck. “Missed you so much baby.”

“I......” Buffy began, as he began kissing lower.

Make him believe it, Buffy thought desperately. It was her only
choice.

Her voice caught and cracked. “I missed you too.”

William cried until he had no tears left. Then he got angry.

Savagely angry And then he remembered the location tracker on Buffy's phone. Quickly, he logged onto his laptop and into the software.

The location sprung up immediately. It was close by. A hotel. Less than five minutes away!

“Fuck!” Faith swore, as she saw William practically bound into the hotel. “Oh fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!”

When William reached the front desk, he was out of breath. He'd run the entire way over.

“May I help you?” the concierge said, taking in his ragged form.

“I,” William said, breathing heavily. He wracked his brain. “I'm looking for someone. 25. Blonde. Green eyes. Buffy?”

“I don't know any guest by that name,” the concierge said. His brows furrowed. “Green-eyed blonde, you said?” he asked. “Surely, you mean Mrs Harris.”

William's heart stopped. “Mrs Harris?”

His mind raced. Xander? It seemed impossible. He was so....non-threatening. So pliant. William was numb.

“Yes,” the concierge said. “Mr and Mrs Harris checked into the honeymoon suite, not ten minutes ago. A beautiful couple.”

The smile on the concierge's face made William sick to his stomach.

“I got the distinct impression they didn't want to be disturbed,” the concierge said, the tiniest smirk on his face. “If you know what I mean.”

William had to restrain himself from punching the man's lights out.

“No,” William said. “They.....they're expecting me.”

“Would you hang on a moment,” the concierge said. “I'll place a call up to their room.”

But William wasn't about to wait another second. Ignoring the man's protests, he quickly made his way to the elevator.

When William reached the penthouse, he found the door locked.
He attempted to jimmy the door, but had no luck. Quickly, he ran down a flight of stairs. Fortuitously, he saw a housekeeping cart and an open door. There was a master key kept right atop the cart.

William swiped it quickly, and raced back upstairs. And yet his hands shook when he inserted the master key in the door. He placed his head against the door, praying that this was all a huge practical joke. And then he opened the door.

As he stepped into the large empty living room, his heart warmed. It was empty. But then he heard it. Something. William wasn't sure what it was. Until he took a few steps forward and was right outside the door of the bedroom.

The sounds were muffled. But distinct. And then he knew.

William felt the hot tears run down his face. Even now, he refused to believe it.

No, William thought. Pitiably. She loves me. I know she does.

Bloody fool, he heard himself say. His voice was harsh. Mocking.
Thinking she loved you. Thinking she could ever love the likes of you. You're beneath her. Always have been.

William steeled himself the best he could. The door was slightly ajar. A sliver of light pouring through it. And William looked.

They were at the foot of the bed. Draped in the sheets. A small bedside lamp illuminating them. Their faces were half covered with shadows.

He saw Xander whisper something in her ear. Buffy shut her eyes, taking a deep breath. When she opened her eyes, they were wet. William saw her jaw quiver with emotion.

He told her he loves her, William thought. His heart crumpled.

Buffy knew she was out of options. She'd stalled as long as she could. Fended him off, all the while pretending she was being playful. Until Xander had whispered a sinister threat in her ear. Against her husband.

Forgive me, William Buffy thought, blinking back tears, taking a shaky breath.

She touched Xander's face, letting her fingers run over it, willing herself to see someone else. Anyone else. The best she could do was conjure up an image of an ex-boyfriend in her mind's eye.
So Buffy shut her eyes and pretended, dipping her head towards Xander. But when their noses touched, Buffy froze.

I can't, she thought to herself. Despairingly.

William saw longer and longer shadows fall across their faces as they got closer and closer.

Xander decided he was done waiting. He dipped his head slightly, letting his lips brush up against Buffy's mouth.
William felt like he'd been stabbed through the heart.

He wanted to cry out. But he found himself unable to speak. To move.

When their mouths remained that way – frozen and unmoving – William felt a perverse hint of hope. That Buffy would stop this. That she'd push Xander away. Tell him she loved her husband.

Buffy knew this was a test. That her life could depend on it.
Certainly her husband's freedom. She knew what she had to do. Make Xander think she wanted him. Again.

So she threw her head back a fraction. And ever so slightly turned her face to the side. As if she were kissing Xander back.
Her ploy succeeded. Xander turned his face to the opposite side and increased the pressure against her mouth.

Buffy couldn't think. Couldn't breathe. She just needed a moment to think. So she pulled back a little, rising up to take a much needed gasp of air.

But Xander wasn't prepared to let her slip away. He grabbed her by the hips and pulled her back to him. This time, he wound his hand in her hair and pulled her mouth against his.

This time, there was no trace of tenderness in his lips. Buffy knew what he wanted. To fuck her. To prove that she belonged to him. That he owned her.

You'll never own me, Buffy thought. Angrily.

The spark turned into a blaze that would have destroyed everything. Buffy knew she was playing a dangerous game. Without any cards. She needed to bide her time. So she did the only thing she could. She took all her pent up sorrow and and hurt and rage and put it into the kiss.

Fiercely.

Xander mistook her emotions for ardour. He was only too happy to go along with the notion, slipping her tongue into his mouth.
William made the same fatal mistake. He stood there. Shocked. Disbelieving. Watching Buffy and Xander kiss.

Passionately, to his blurry eyes.

William was horrified. But he couldn't look away either.

Then Xander moved to kiss Buffy's shoulders and neck. He saw his wife throw her head back and run her hands through his hair.
Buffy pretended the best she could.Willing him to be someone else. Anyone else. Until he stopped. Buffy looked down. She found him staring up at her. Intently.

Buffy knew this was another test. She put on her best fake cheerleader smile and dipped her head towards him feigning a kiss.

At the last moment, she raised her head, leaving him searching for air. When he angled his head upwards, she pulled back again.
Xander decided he was done playing. He crooked a finger at Buffy, beckoning her to him.

You have to, Buffy told herself. She angled her mouth downwards
and Xander rose up to meet her lips.

Spike witnessed the entire charade. As if from behind a haze. He watched them tumble back onto the bed and disappear from sight.

He opened his mouth but he'd lost his voice. He began taking a step forward but her voice cut him off.

“Oh god,” Buffy moaned. “Xander!”

“Buffy,” he heard Xander sigh. Then he chuckled. Salaciously.

And then the bed began creaking. And he knew. Spike felt like he'd been punched in the chest. Hard.

He reeled back, legs unsteady, breath knocked out of him. He tried to hold on to something. Anything. He failed.

He stumbled back, like a punch-drunk boxer. Back into the hallway. He collapsed against the door frame. Just out of sight.

Tears running down his face. His ears filling with the sounds of their sighs and moans.