Author's Chapter Notes:
In this chapter, we take some time with Spike and Dru. Ellie and Buffy meet and chat, and Angel has made his decision. Giles is making with the research...what will he find?
Chapter 8

In a room far from the one he shared with Drusilla, Spike sat contemplatively, thoughts muddled. After spending a century with his insane Sire, he was more than unsure about this ritual his sister Ellie had found. ‘What if she changes so much she doesn’t want me anymore?’ Tilting his head to the side, he continued musing. ‘What if she could actually love me sane? And what is it about this little slip of a Slayer that has me enamored so?’


He realized that he had been thinking for several hours, a shock to be sure, when he was startled out of his inner monologue by Dru’s loud laughter. It tinkled and escalated until he found her dancing through the doorway. Dammit! He’d been brooding! Shaking his head violently, he turned his attention to Dru and smiled softly, waiting for her voice.



xxx



Ellie shimmered into existence quietly about a block from the Summers’ residence. Walking in no hurry towards the Slayer’s home, she was confident that Buffy would make the right decision. Though Ellie had played her ace in the hole as insurance, she could already see that Buffy was considering helping for other reasons; reasons that stemmed from her teachings from the Council, her Watcher, and that accursed Angelus. Expecting no trouble, she was surprised to find her thoughts interrupted by Angelus himself.



xxx



Using his hulking frame to stop Ellie’s movement towards Buffy’s porch, Angel said simply, “It’s my fault that Dru is the way she is. I’ll do the ritual.”


Smirking, Ellie replied, “I had no doubt that you would.”


Nodding once, Angel left her with, “Then I’ll be on my way. Where will it take place?”


“Basement of the house you came to last night. It’s on a ley-line.”


Angel then turned and spun away from Ellie and headed back to his apartment. He had more thinking to do. Ellie, on the other hand, kept her unhurried pace and continued on towards Buffy.



xxx



“Hey kiddo,” Ellie said softly. “May I sit with ya?”


“Sure,” Buffy replied, motioning towards the empty space on the steps.


“So I take it you’ve made your decision then?” Ellie asked.


“I think so.” Pausing for a moment to collect her thoughts, Buffy pressed on. “I-I...want to help. Not because I want to save the town though...it’s just that...it’s the right thing to do, ya know?”


Surprised, Ellie was speechless for several long seconds. Finally gathering her wits, she said, “This is incredible! You don’t know how much this means to us! Spike and I, we just love her so much ya know? It’s been terrible watchin’ her suffer for so long...longer even for Spike.”


“I believe you when you say you love her. I was taught that vamps and demons couldn’t love or feel anything really, but now I’ve seen it. And-and, I just wanted you to know that I believe you.”


Sure that thank you would never be enough, Ellie’s thoughts as to how to respond were jumbled. She said it anyway. “Thank you.”


Nodding her response, Buffy laid a reassuring hand on Ellie’s shoulder. Buffy removed her hand as a silent understanding passed between vampire and Slayer. They sat for a long time, both lost in their own thoughts, merely enjoying each others presence.



xxx



With one final twirl, Drusilla’s dance came to a halt. Smiling broadly, she said to Spike, “Come with me my Dark Prince, we must gaze at the stars! They speak so loudly to me, I simply must share it with you!”


Expecting her to lead him outside and into the night, he wasn’t too shocked to find that he had been led back to their makeshift bedroom. Flopping on her back onto the stolen four-poster, Dru giggled softly, eyes to the ceiling.


Shaking his head and smirking easily, Spike gazed in wonder at his Dark Princess. ‘So lovely,’ he thought. However, he couldn’t quite shake the image of the golden Slayer completely from his mind. It didn’t trouble him nearly as much as it should, and that confused him.


“Oh my Spike, the stars! They tell me all sorts of wonderful things!”


Dropping a light kiss onto her forehead, Spike planted his hands on either side of her torso and deftly flipped himself over and landed with a thump beside her.


“What do they tell you, Princess?” he replied.


“They tell me my Spike has been a naughty, naughty boy. Thoughts of the sunshine dance through your brain.”


Taken aback, he blustered, “Oh my Dark Goddess, my ripe wicked plum, you know you’re the only one for me. Just a passin’ fancy, tha’s all. I’ll make her my third for you, I will.”


Her eyes losing their glassy sheen, Drusilla became strangely lucid. She pressed on, cryptically, “Meant to dance with the sunshine you were, not in the darkness with me. Some things just aren’t in the stars.”



xxx



Alone in his flat, Giles was quickly shuffling through the pages of a musty tome. Eyes scanning rapidly, they widened. He’d found it! Rising from his chair, he took the tome in one hand and almost sprinted to the phone. Dialing Buffy’s number, he wasn’t surprised in the least to hear Joyce’s voice answer in greeting.


“Yes Ms. Summers, this is Rupert Giles, the librarian from school? I need to speak with Buffy please, I’ve found something-ah something she left here after class.”



xxx



After hanging up the phone, Joyce stepped out onto the porch, and was interested to find not one, but two people sitting on the steps.


“Who’s your friend Buffy?” she asked.


Turning slowly, she quickly covered, “Oh hey Mom, this is Ellie, a new student in school.”


“Well it’s nice to meet you Ellie.” Directing her eyes to Buffy, Joyce continued, “That was Mr. Giles on the phone, he says you left something at school and wanted to talk to you about it.”


“Thanks Mom, I probably forgot my Math book again. I’ll head over there right now to get it, still have homework to do.”


“Ok dear, just be careful.” Joyce replied.


“Nice to meet ya Ms. Summers, I’ll just be headin’ off now. Holler at me later if you wanna chat again Buffy, had a nice time.” Ellie said, walking down the steps and into the night.


Sure that Giles had found the counter-spell, Buffy was at a loss. With a strong shake of her head, Buffy steeled her thoughts and made haste towards Giles’ flat.


Chapter End Notes:
Will Giles change Buffy's mind? Oh noes! Should get another 2 chapters out today depending on flow. Check back next time, same Bat time, same Bat channel!

Thank you again for all your kind reviews. They're fuel for my muse.