Chapter 11

Oh, God.

She could feel her body shaking, arms and legs and entire body trembling, and she couldn't make it stop. What had she just done? She'd had…sex…with Spike, her enemy, Slayer of Slayers. This was so, so bad.

Only he didn't feel much like her enemy right now, his lukewarm body covering hers like the world's most perfect blanket, hands pressed to her back, head nestled into her neck.

Her rattled brain had thought that being with him, like this, would surely give her some answers. Instead, she found herself with even more questions. She did have one answer; however: she could feel, now, that it was true. Spike would be hers one day, if she wanted that.

She'd always hated prophecies, each potential truth hiding riddles and tricks. She hated the idea that her choices were predestined, that they didn't belong to her. But seeing her, seeing Eden, made it hard for Buffy to hate the prophecy that foretold of her existence. Now that she'd seen her child, she just couldn't wish her away. She wouldn't want to. Also, seeing the precious little girl had opened her up (both figuratively and literally, it seemed), immediately, to the idea of being forever linked to someone she'd always considered her enemy. It was enough to make her wonder if the feelings hadn't been bubbling somewhere below the surface all along, just waiting for an excuse to break free. But they weren't supposed to be together yet. Asher had made that clear. What if them being together like this really did change the future? What if they somehow, inadvertently, made Eden disappear? Made it so she never existed? Did they have the power to change the prophecy, now that they knew about it?

It made her head hurt just thinking about it.

What were they supposed to do now?

It would be so easy to push Spike off of her, to attack him with all the force of her confused emotions, to run out of his crypt and pretend this hadn't happened. Only that didn't feel right to her, not anymore. She thought of those sweet little-girl eyes, brilliant blue, looking up at her, and knew she couldn't push Spike away so easily, not now.

"Spike," she whispered into the pale curve of the ear that was already so close to her mouth. She felt him tense and knew he was waiting for her to do the exact thing she'd just considered. To run. To deny. She was seized with the sudden urge to soothe him, so she pressed her lips to his throat, just below his ear, and kissed him softly. She felt his muscles relax again.

"Yes, luv?" His voice was raw, throaty.

"We should…probably get back to the Magic Box."

"Right," he said. "Save the girl."

"Our girl," she said. "Eden." The name sounded sweet and strong on her lips, a promise.

She felt a trace of something wet and cold against her neck, and wondered if vampires could cry. Had she ever seen it? She couldn't remember. He kissed her shoulder and rolled away, finally pulling out of her. She could feel their combined juices slipping out, drenching her thighs.

"I…could I have a towel?" Buffy asked, face flaming as Spike's eyes slid to the top of her thighs and the mess there.

Beautiful. Her sweet little quim, puffy and red and spilling his cum and her own. He'd done that, made her scream. Made her beg for him. He could hardly pull his eyes away. He had to fight the urge to bend down and kiss her there, to lick her clean, to taste their mingled sweetness. He forced his eyes back to her face, and was surprised to see that she looked embarrassed.

"Course," he mumbled, shaking his head to try and clear the haze of lust. Spike struggle to his feet and looked around the room for his clothes. His ripped shirt was tossed over the back of the chair, his jeans a messy pile in the floor. He slid into them and shook his head, lips curving into a smile when he noticed the missing button. "Be right back, pet," he said, and disappeared quickly into the lower level of the crypt.

"Oh, God," she muttered, struggling into a sitting position. She could feel the scrapes against her back from the force of Spike's body pounding into hers against the crypt floor. So amazing. But wrong. It was wrong, right? She slipped back into her bra, feeling around on the floor for her top. She held it up, assessing the dried blood on the side of it. "Great," she said. She obviously would not be making it home to change.

Spike was suddenly back in front of her, standing, his pale chest practically glowing in the candlelight. "Slayer," he said, holding out a towel.

She felt the color rise back into her cheeks as he watched her. "Could you…um, look away or something?"

He smirked, shook his head, and turned his back to her, zipping and fastening a fresh pair of black jeans. He pulled his black tee shirt over his head, and tossed an identical shirt on the arm of the chair. "Noticed your top is all torn and bloodied. Brought you this…" he pointed to the shirt, "if you want it."

A strangled noise erupted from her throat as she dried herself with the towel. "If I…wear that…everybody's gonna know what we've been doing." She held a hand to her forehead. Was she feverish? Sick? She'd just slept with Spike, and now everybody was going to know. "Oh, God."

"Don't wear it then, Slayer. I don't give a flying fig. Probably have something of Harm's around here somewhere if you'd rather."

"Uh, no. A whole universe of no." How had she completely forgotten about Spike's girlfriend? Did she live here with him? She could have walked in on them in an extremely compromising position at any time. Of course, then Buffy would have just staked her. But that would have pissed Spike off, maybe. And why did she suddenly care what pissed Spike off?

"Fine. Wear your bloodied bits."

She tugged her jeans back on and held up the ripped and bloodied shirt again, eyed the sliced jacket. She could stop by her house and change, but hadn't she wasted all of her downtime here, with Spike? She'd told the gang she'd be back in a few hours, max, and she knew she must be closing in on it. Plus, there was the nagging sense of unease about Eden, the unsettling thought that she and Spike may have ruined it all by coming together like this, now. Did they have the power to keep Eden from existing? She needed to get back to the Magic Box to make sure that the locator spell had worked—that she was still out there, somewhere. Here. Alive.

If Buffy showed up back at the Magic Box in her own ruined clothes, the gang would wonder why she hadn't been home to change. If she wore Spike's shirt, they would know why she hadn't been home to change. Either way, they would know. She reached for Spike's extra tee. "No, this is good," she said, blushing. "Thank you." She pulled it over her head, lost for a moment in the darkness of the shirt. It was soft, well-worn, and smelled undeniably like Spike—smoky, musky, dark. Somehow sensual in a way she couldn't quite describe. Her friends would know exactly where she'd been, and who she'd been with. But she couldn't waste time thinking about that right now.

He looked at her, hoping the shock didn't register on his face. She'd let him put his hands on her, hell, she'd put her hands on him. Now, the Slayer was wearing his shirt, face still flushed and hair mussed from their fevered lovemaking. Breathtaking, even if he didn't really need to breathe. The top was a bit long on her, hanging to her thighs, but it looked surprisingly natural with her jeans and black boots.

Buffy pulled a hair tie from her wrist and touched her hair hesitantly. Great. Just-been-fucked hair. She was basically doing the walk of shame, only it wasn't morning—closing in on midnight, more like—and she wasn't going home. She remembered seeing girls like this in college. Back when she was a college student. A co-ed. And now, she was a dropout, leaving her boyfriend's crypt in the middle of the night.

I so did NOT just think of Spike as my boyfriend.

Now that it was over, the guilt was starting to set in. She'd betrayed Riley, her actual boyfriend. Sure, she'd gotten a big, life-altering shock today. She didn't know how it happened, but somewhere in this crazy day, she had really started to believe that she would end up with Spike. But that was in the future, and here in the present, she had a boyfriend to think about. She shouldn't have run to Spike like this, not before figuring out her own head, her own heart. Not before ending things with Riley, at least. She realized, belatedly, that she'd already let go of Riley in her mind. Just like that.

The two of them were quiet as they left the crypt, each lost in their own thoughts. He thought of taking her hand, but decided against it. He had to be careful with her, if he didn't want her to run off when this thing was all figured out.

"Does she live with you?"

"Who?" he said, the question catching him off guard.

"Harmony? Do you live together?"

"God, no! Bloody hell! You think I could live with that?" He pulled a cigarette from his pocked and paused to light up. "Pfft."

"Oh." She was relieved to hear it, and she didn't want to think about why that was.

"Why?" he asked.

"Just wondering."

Jealous, luv? He wanted to say, smirking at her with his tongue curled behind his teeth in the way that he knew made her crazy, but after this very long and very confusing day, he just couldn't muster it.

"Does Soldier Boy know where you are?" he asked instead.

"No."

"You gonna tell him?" He tried to act as though the question was a casual one, even though he was very, very interested in her answer.

"I don't know," she said. She didn't look at him. "I don't know what any of this…means."

He clucked his tongue, disappointed, but not surprised by her answer. "Well, that makes two of, then."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey guys," Buffy said, trying desperately for casual as she walked into the shop, Spike following close behind.

"Good, you're both back," Giles said, looking from Buffy to Spike and back again. Buffy felt all eyes in the Magic Box zero in on her, knew they were taking in the outfit, the fact that she'd returned not alone, but with Spike at her side. She felt herself blushing. A lot. If blushing were an Olympic event, she would totally be a gold medalist.

"You're wearing Spike's shirt," Anya observed. "Oh! Buffy and Spike had sex!" She looked around the circle, clearly pleased with herself for making the obvious connection. Now it was the Scoobies' turns to blush.

All except for Xander, who laughed. "They definitely did not have sex! Buffy probably ran into a demon or something else really nasty on her way to get Spike and she probably took one of Spike's shirts because hers was messed up…or something, right Buff?"

She couldn't look him in the eye. Her face was surely bright red now. Lie, she told herself, but her mouth wouldn't open. Lie, lie, lie!

"Yeah," Spike said. "That's what happened. Demon. Fyarl, actually. Got that slimy stuff all over her. Was disgusting. Smelled awful, too. Couldn't stand to even walk next to her, smelling like that. Not that Slayer smell isn't…awful anyway…" he trailed off, having started with a good cover and sort of lost it along the way. He could smell himself all over her, mixed with that delicious Slayer scent he'd never, ever forget. She smelled divine.

"We were just about to ring you," Asher said, abruptly, and Buffy and Spike both looked at him gratefully. "We've just found her again. She's at the old high school."

"Why?" Buffy asked. "Does the First feed off of the Hellmouthy goodness?"

Asher nodded. "I should have guessed it myself. Obviously the site where the Hellmouth opens is a…special location, for the source of all evil. When the school is rebuilt, the Hellmouth opens in the basement…but I think in your time, it was…the library? So, I think that's where we'll find them."

Buffy nodded. "Then it's time to go," she said, matter-of-factly.

"The Bringers," Spike said. "Mostly physical, yeah? No eyes, but they move like they can see. Do we need to be worried about them working some kind of mojo? Magics?"

Asher shook his head. "Mostly physical, yes. They can do the basics, like the cloaking spell they performed, but mostly they just fight. But don't underestimate the power of the First. It can take the form of any person who has died." His eyes swept the ground and then looked back at Buffy and Spike. "Including the two of you. Which could be very confusing for a child, and is probably how they've kept her from fighting back on her own. We've prepared her for a lot of potential foes, but, well, the First rarely comes up, as you've already decimated it and all of its agents."

Buffy and Spike looked at each other uneasily, neither of them really looking forward to facing themselves in battle.

"That's why she'll go willingly with the Bringers, if her mum or dad tells her it's safe to do so. So…we need to get to the high school. Uh…nowish."

"Weapons," Buffy said. "Load up."

"Bollucks," Spike said, suddenly. Buffy stared at him. "Well, can't fight them, can I? Human. Got a world of pain when I hit that one in the cavern earlier." He pounded one fist into the other palm as though he'd hit them right then, if he could, headache be damned.

"Keep forgetting that," Asher said, which made Spike's head spin. Did the chip come out, at some point in the future? God, he hoped so. "You'll still come along. You can make a grab for Eden while the rest of us hold them back. But, some of you should stay here. The Bringers won't hesitate to kill. Buffy and Spike, it may even be best if the two of you stayed here, actually. If the Bringers somehow manage to kill you now, it won't matter that their new weapon won't exist anymore—you'll have left the Hellmouth unguarded for the First, and all other manner of evil things, to do with as it will.

Both Spike and Buffy looked at Asher with eyebrows raised identically in a challenging manner. He sighed. "Worth a try. Willow and Tara, and Giles as well—why don't you three stay here? If we don't check in after a few hours, then assume we've failed. If that happens, then Willow and Tara, perform the locator spell again. Try to pinpoint Eden's location. Giles, come to the school and look for us. Even if I am…incapacitated, it is imperative that I am in physical proximity to Eden when my 24 hours are up."

Giles raised his eyebrows. "The time travel portal will call you back, even if you're dead?"

Asher nodded.

"I don't enjoy fighting," Anya said. "It's always so sweaty and life-threatening. I want to stay here. Xander, you stay too."

He shook his head. "No can do. Much as this sitch gives me the extreme super-wiggins, I fight when Buffy fights. Even if that means fighting with...him. So…let's go kick some evil ass, or something."

"Remember," Asher said to Buffy and Xander. "She'll be surrounded by Bringers. We don't have to defeat them all. Our goal is merely to get her away. Kill as many as you need to in order to get to her, but don't get distracted with killing them. Without her, they can't do much right now. She is our one and only priority." As if Buffy or Spike needed reminding.

"Let's go, then," Spike said, leading the way out the door.