Chapter 2

"So, we're researching monks?" Xander asked, unloading a box of donuts onto the table that was already piled high with books.

"Right. Monks. Monks that make with the mystical energy," Buffy said, flipping absentmindedly through a book.

"So…we're, uh, dealing with a little monkey business, then?" Xander said, smiling, as Buffy and Giles rolled their eyes at his pun. "Been waiting all day to use that line."

"Xander, why are you still buying donuts?" Anya asked from behind the counter. "I've read that cupcakes are the new trendy sweet treat to eat."

"Try saying that ten times fast," Xander quipped.

"Tiny cakes are cute and delicious, and I want some."

"Hey, beggers can't be choosers." He selected a chocolate-iced donut from the box and bit into it. "Beggers also can't enjoy yummy pastries."

"Oh, well, donuts are okay, I guess," Anya said, walking to the table and giving Xander a kiss. "Mmm, chocolatey."

The bell in the Magic Box tinkled as Willow and Tara walked in, holding hands.

"Hey, gang!" Willow said. "Research time?"

"Yep," Buffy replied. "Trying to find the monks with the mojo."

"Monkey business, huh?" Willow said, grinning.

"Yes!" Xander said, holding his hand up to Willow for a high-five as she and Tara took their seats at the table.

"You two have been friends for way too long," Buffy said, smiling. She turned to Tara. "Your nose looks better. Less…blue and swelly." There was only a hint of a bruise left around her nose and cheek from where Spike had punched her to prove to Tara's family that she was, in fact, human.

"Thanks," Tara replied, gingerly running her fingertips along her bruise. "Wish I had your speedy healing powers, but it's a lot better already. You'll have to thank Spike for me when you see him again."

"Thank him?" Buffy laughed. "For punching you in the face?"

"Well, I mean, it was a helpful punch. A punch for good."

Buffy made a face. "Spike and good don't really belong in the same sentence."

"I don't know…" Tara trailed off, apparently lost in thought.

"Where's the Riley-man?" Willow asked.

"Class. He should be around later."

"And the Dawnster?" Xander asked.

"Staying at Janice's house," Buffy sighed, wringing her hands in a suddenly nervous gesture. "I didn't think it was a good idea to let her go, but no one asked me. Mom said yes, but maybe I should just go get her and bring her home." She stood, reaching for her jacket. "Yeah, I should probably do that."

Giles touched her shoulder gently. "Buffy," he said quietly. "I'm sure she'll be fine." She flopped back into her chair with a worried expression.

"Yeah. Relax, Buff," Xander said. "It's Friday, time for fun and frolicking and all-around merry-making." He eyed the books on the table. "Oh, and researching. Forgot that."

"Yes, well," Giles cleared his throat. "As thrilling as this mindless chatter is, I'd like to actually get started with the research you mentioned.

"But Giles, I am researching," Buffy said. "See, I have a book in my hand."

He groaned.

"Sorry, sorry. Serious girl, here. I know we've got to get some answers on these guys. Which will hopefully get us some answers on our mystery bad girl."

A sudden crash from the back of the shop caused the group around the table to jump.

"Giles? Are you hiding someone in the training room?" Buffy asked casually.

"Not that I'm aware of, no." He moved toward the training room, but before he could reach it, the knob turned and the door opened.

In the doorway stood one of the most unique human beings Buffy had ever seen. At least, she assumed he was human. He looked human, but Buffy knew well enough that looking human didn't necessarily mean he was one. Then again, he was too well-dressed to be a demon. Cause really, even vampires-so fashion challenged. And this guy was definitely not. He wore slim gray wool suit pants that fit him perfectly, along with a crisp white button down shirt that hung, intentionally untucked. A fitted gray paisley-print vest was buttoned over the shirt, with a large silver watch hanging from a chain that seemed to be tucked into one of the vest pockets. A black leather blazer and black Converse sneakers completed the sleek-but-eclectic ensemble.

His outfit wasn't the only strange thing about him, though. Long black and copper dreadlocks were molded into a loose ponytail at the base of his neck, the thick dreads somehow elegant as they draped down his back. His large almond-shaped eyes suggested Asian descent, but his skin was the color of cocoa. An amused smile played on his lips, and his natural confidence was apparent.

"Whoa," Buffy said. "Who the hell are you?"

"And what on earth are you doing in the back of my store?"

The man's eyes swept around the room, settling on the table and its occupants. He looked, for a moment, uncertain. And then he nodded, a small almost imperceptible move that seemed meant to reassure him, or them, somehow.

"Right then," he said in a rich, deep voice, with what was clearly and English accent. "Okay. Um, well…how to begin without sounding mad as a hatter and wigging everyone out good and proper"

"However you do it, I would highly suggest beginning rather soon," Giles said. "I'm not usually fond of people poking about in the off-limits areas of my shop."

The man sighed. "Okay." He looked around again. "Terribly sorry for the clumsy entrance, but our uh…methods seem to be a little wonky on the delivery. I'm afraid this is going to give you all the extreme wiggins…" he took a deep breath, puffed out his chest, and smiled, "but my name is Asher Pritchett, and I'm here from the future."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The huh?" Buffy was the first to speak.

"Well, that's something we haven't heard before," Xander said, looking around the table. "We haven't heard that before, right?"

"Right," Willow confirmed. "This would be our first encounter with a time traveler." She glanced over at the man. "If, you know, that's really what he is."

"I assure you, I am," he said. "Rupert, if I may?" he moved toward the group. "I'm here on behalf of the Watchers' Council, and we-"

"Save it," Buffy interrupted. "We don't work for the Council. You've come to the wrong place."

"Are you a Watcher?" Xander asked. "Cause, gotta say, Watchers don't usually look so…cool." He looked guiltily at Giles. "No offense."

Giles rolled his eyes.

"Thank you," the man said. "And yes, I am a Watcher."

"What kind of trick is this?" Giles asked. "If you want something from us, you might just say so. No need to tell us a grandiose story about time travel."

"To be fair, Rupert," the man said, "You haven't heard my story yet. I think you'll find it rather fascinating, although believable would work out better for us all."

"Get to it, then," Giles said. "Before I throw you out. How about you start with how you know my name?"

Asher paced beside the table, studying each of the table's occupants carefully. His muscular thighs were visible through the wool of his trousers as he moved, his obviously strong hands clasping and unclasping around the smooth silver of his pocket watch as he started to speak. When his pacing brought him closer to Giles, Buffy could see that the two men were of almost the same height, although Asher's thick dreadlocks gave him the appearance of being taller. He was built quite differently than Giles, however, his well-muscled body evident even through the layers of extravagant clothing. "Here me out, I implore you," he said. "I wouldn't be here if it weren't of the utmost importance. Of the critical, actually.

I know your name because you are the Watcher of the current time period's active Slayer." He glanced at Buffy and nodded. "Miss Summers," he said, nodding stiffly, then looking away. "I come from the year 2008, which, if I've done this right, would be eight years in the future for you. I hope I'm in the year 2000?" he was rewarded with a nod from several members of the group. "I'm tracking a weapon that has been taken…and brought here, to this time, to Sunnydale." He seemed satisfied with his explanation, but at exasperated looks from Buffy and Giles, continued. "It's an extremely…powerful weapon. It was foretold that it will, at its maturity, change the fight for good…forever. In our favor, of course. Which, we believe, is why it was taken from…its rightful place. It is our belief that it has been, or will be, intercepted by some big time baddies for use in a future fight against the Slayer. This Slayer. You, Miss Summers."

The room was quiet for a moment, with Buffy finally breaking the silence. "And again I say…huh?"

Asher looked at her, the corners of his mouth twitching in amusement. "There's a weapon. It's important. It was stolen from us. We need it back, and if I don't find it, it will be used to defeat you."

Buffy stared at him. "So…you expect us to believe that you time travelled here? And, if we jump over that monumental hurdle of believability, you then expect us to help you find a weapon that the Council lost? We don't work for the Council, we don't work with the Council, and we don't believe in time travel."

"Oh, time travel is real," Anya chimed in. "Humans haven't got it figured out yet, but there are some demons with the ability to move through time or create temporal folds, the same way some demons can travel through dimensions at will. It's just like opening portals to other dimensions, only, you know, to other times."

"Really?" Xander asked. "How have I not known about this extreme coolness?"

"That's exactly what happened, actually," Asher said, ignoring Xander's remark. "The demon who took our weapon has time travel capabilities, of course."

"Uh-huh." Buffy shook her head. "Giles, is he for real? Can the Council send people back in time?"

"I'm sure Rupert is aware that the Council has the means for time travel, even in your time period. It's extremely risky and not at all recommended, even now, but the sitch we're in presented no other options."

"Yes, well, that is…true, actually," Giles said. "The Council does have the means for time travel, although, as I understand it, the system is rather rudimentary."

Asher rubbed his hands together, playing, now, with the chunky silver rings on his fingers. "Yes. Because of the risky nature of it all, I have an approved stay in your time for just 24 hours. After the 24 hours are up, I will be retrieved and brought back to my present. If I return without the weapon…well, let's just say there will be a whole world of badness. The baddest badness imaginable. Not to mention that the head of the Council will have my job. If the Slayer doesn't kick my ass all the way across bleeding London first, that is." He pointedly didn't look at Buffy as he said it, but she flinched with the sting of his words.

"Your Slayer…she's in London?"

He looked at her. "Yes. She works very closely with the Council."

"Oh." Buffy looked down, not wanting to see the looks of pity that were no doubt on her friends' faces as they watched her. She could feel Giles' eyes, in particular, on her, could almost feel his sadness hitting her in waves. She understood, perfectly, what the new Watcher wasn't saying. Because she would never work closely with the Council, wouldn't be in London instead of guarding the Hellmouth. She wasn't the Slayer in his time. Sometime, in the next eight years, she was going to die. She had known it, always, that she had an expiration date earlier than most, but hearing it as truth was different. Eight years from now she would be dead, for certain. Probably even sooner than that.