Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's Chapter 5! I tried to wait until I got off work to post the next chapter but I just couldn't hold it in any more! Hope you enjoy! :D
Whistler just stared at Buffy’s face. He wasn’t really sure how to continue with this conversation, “Well—Buffy—I mean—it’s your mom—but—it’s her mom. It’s the other Buffy’s mom. The Buffy that you’re replacing. Your mom, she’s the same woman, just not the same mind. Do you understand?”

Wiping the tears that were flowing down her face, “Yeah, I mean, I knew that it wouldn’t be my same mom, but it’s still my mom, you know? She’s still the woman who gave birth to a Buffy. And I’m a Buffy. I just wonder how she’ll react when she finds out this news.”

Rocking back and forth on the soles of his feet, “Are you going to tell her? Are you going to tell any of them the truth? About what you’ve gone through?”

Biting her lip and looking to the group that were now all standing together, “We should get back. It’s going to be a long night.”

Without waiting for a reply, Buffy walked away from him and towards the rest of the group.

______________________________


The group stopped their mindless talking when they all realized that Buffy as rejoining them. Xander beat every one else in saying something first, “So, Buffster, what’s say we get this patrolling party show on the road?”

Buffy watched as he struggled to get his stake out of his pocket and winced when she thought of the nicest way to say this, “Actually, I’m just going to take a quick sweep on my own. I won’t be long if you all just want to hang out here then we can find somewhere for me to crash. I don’t really know anything about where I’m going.”

Before anyone could protest, Spike spoke up, “How abouts I take a quick sweep with you then and show you the nice cemeteries compared to the not so nice ones then I can drop you by the watcher’s place and you lot can take it from there?”

Again, cutting the group off before they could even muster a word out, Buffy stepped closer to Spike and got her stake ready, “Sure that sounds good to me. I’ll see you guys later.”

And while the rest of the group just looked on in shock, the slayer and vampire made their way on to their first night of slaying together.

______________________________


Walking side by side, Spike couldn’t figure out how to approach the topic of where this Buffy came from. How do you ask someone about a life they just left behind? There had to be a reason why she left it behind and that meant she surely didn’t want to talk about it. Taking a breath, Spike prepared himself for the question that would surely be the stupidest to come out of his mouth.

But before he could get the first syllable out, Buffy nudged him with her shoulder, “What’s up with the quietness coming from your side? Not ten minutes ago you were all chatty Kathy with me like a ten-year-old little girl about the ins and outs of these cemeteries. Now? Nothing. What’s going on?”

Spike was shocked that this Buffy was so cheerful when she was around him. He wasn’t used to this kind of treatment. Granted she didn’t know who he was, but still. It was refreshing. He never got this kind of treatment from the Buffy that belonged in this universe. With this one, he had already laughed and had brilliant conversation with, and it hadn’t even been two hours. It was a wonderful feeling. He could really get used to not having to walk on eggshells around Buffy.

Realizing that he still hadn’t answered her, Spike cleared his throat and stuffed his hands in his pockets, “Just thinking, I guess.”

Smiling knowingly, “You want to know why I left my universe.” There was no question in her voice. She knew eventually someone would ask that question, she just wasn’t sure she was ready to give it yet. She stopped their walk and turned to face him, “Things were—difficult. And if things between us get closer and I get to know you better then I will probably tell you, but right now, I’m just too guarded to let anyone into that part of my life, yet.”

Feeling slightly disappointed, Spike played it off like it was not big deal and he couldn’t have cared less, “Yeah, no problem. Just thought it would be interesting to know. You being from another universe that you don’t know me in and a world that you just willingly gave up to come and live here.”

“It’s just—this part of my life—I haven’t told anyone about it since it happened. I haven’t talked to anyone because it was too hard. And it’s still hard, but it’s manageable now. And it hurts to talk about it. But this part of my life, it’s all I have left from it. All I have left are my memories as proof that it really did happen and that I’m not some nut job who only thinks she lived in another world. It’s a part of me that’s just mine right now, and it’s hard to let it go. It’s hard to just give it up. Do you understand?”

“Yeah. I get it. More than you know,” and he did. He understood because he himself had those moments after he became a vampire. He still has things about his human life that no one knows. It’s a part of his life that he was taken out of and it was all he had left. It was just for him.

Realizing that the moment had gotten too serious, Buffy pushed Spike back as hard as she could and watched him take several steps back. She turned and started to run, yelling the whole way, “Race you to the end of the cemetery!”
Smiling, Spike thought to himself that he could really get used to this carefree Buffy. He really, really could. Letting out a small chuckle, Spike picked himself up and began the chase after her.


Chapter End Notes:
So? What do we think then?? Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? :D