Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey all first ever spuffy fic!
CHAPTER 1
At 17 Buffy was halfway through high school and was getting ready to take her SAT's. She managed good grades and had a few really good friends but was still classed as the outcast. She had moved from Los Angeles to Sunnydale a few years ago with her parents who needed to get away from the big city.

At first the popular kids seemed to like her but as the school year progressed she found it more and harder to laugh at their stupid jokes. That year she found out she was adopted. Her personality changed dramatically that year. No longer bright and bubbly she was withdrawn. She wore the exact same thing every day she went to school, she wanted to become a blip on the radar but it caused the opposite approach. The people who were meant to be her friends ditched her and teased her mercilessly. It had caused her pain but she was thankful she had learned life's lessons early.

2 YEARS AGO
"Buffy would you come to the living room please"

"Yes mom" she screamed over her music and bounded down
the stairs, when she got there both her parents were there with a strange looking women and man.

"What's going on guys?" Buffy was really confused

"Hi Buffy my name is Rupert Giles and this is my wife Jenny and we represent the Queen of Moreton. It's a small island in the Caribbean"

"Okay" Buffy replied with skepticism

Rupert then blew his top "You were meant to have told her!"

"We couldn't she seemed so happy we couldn't tell her she was adopted!" Buffy mother screamed

"I'm what?" Buffy yelled over the dim

"Buffy we meant to tell you when you were younger but by then you were ours and we didn't want to wreck the relationship you had with us so we hid the truth" Hank Summers said

"So I'm not Buffy Summers. Who the hell am I?" she screamed and started to hyperventilate

"You are the grand duchess Elizabeth and the next in line to be queen" Jenny said softly

"The hell I am, I know nothing about this, you can't just dump that on me. I don't want to be responsible for a country. I can barely take care of myself" tears had started falling down her cheeks which broke Buffy's mothers' heart. Joyce hated when her little girl was upset.

"Why are you here?" Buffy asked sniffling

"Because you are needed, your mother is dying and she needs you to ascend the throne"

"MY REAL MOTHER IS JOYCE SUMMERS AND I AM NOT GOING ANY WHERE" Buffy screamed and ran out of the house

(Present)

Buffy was in the library researching some information for an extra credit assignment for ancient history as she remembered that horrible day. The day her world fell apart. The two word kids should never here at 16. 'You're adopted'. It scared her even today.

Her day then went from bad to worse as she heard the popular kids enter the library. She really didn't feel like dealing with their crap today so she hid further around the back so no one would spot her, but she'd moved too late and when she felt a wetness at the back of her neck and heard them laughing she knew immediately they had hit her with a spit ball. She held back her tears determined that she was not going to cry in front of them and give them more reason to laugh at her. She picked up the book she had been reading and out fell a piece of paper.

As she examined it she concluded it was really old and so she read the inscription on it.

THE GIRL WHO WAS LOST
BUT NOW HAS BEEN FOUND
WILL PULL HER TRUE LOVE
INTO THE LIGHT.
THEY SHALL BE UNITED UNDER
THE TITLE OF SOUL MATES.
WHEN THE SUN PASSES
IN FRONT OF THE MOON
THE ANCIENT CRYSTAL WILL REAPPEAR
AND THE SILVER MILLENIUM
WILL BE UPON THEM ONCE MORE.


Buffy re-read what she determined only to be a nice poem over and over again the beginning giving her hope that one day her knight in shining armor would come for her. She pocketed the piece of paper and left the library.

William 'Spike' Shields watched the blonde leave the library full of sadness and felt an incredible amount of guilt wash over him. Yes he was the most popular in the school but he was still human and sometimes he wished he could be more like Buffy and not care what people thought about him. His current girlfriend Drusilla was sitting on his lap. He didn't love her, he barely tolerated her but she was the most popular girl in the school and was only with her for the title. She was cruel and heartless and he wanted out of this relationship. They were all laughing at Buffy's misfortune when he decided it was time t let Drusilla go.

"Hey Dru, we need to talk alone" he said quietly but not quietly enough and all eyes were on him

"What you have to say to me you can say in front of my peeps" she said and everyone listened more intently

"Ok, I think we should break up!" he exclaimed

"What!” she screamed “Your dumping me before prom how could you do that!" Dru ran from the library crying. Spike believed it was humiliation not from heart break.

"Well there goes another prom queen. What is with you man, you have been acting like a broody bastard the last few weeks and now with dumping the love of your life, what gives?" Riley asked

"She wasn't the love of my life and I am sick to death of the bull shit that goes on in the school. Catch ya later" he wondered out of the library and all his so called friends just laughed at the scene they had just witnessed.

In the distance he heard the bell ring for fourth period and hurried to his next class when he bumped into a familiar blonde.

"Sorry" she mumbled

"It’s Ok pet" he helped her up "it was completely my fault Buffy" he smiled at her.

"I don't tend to look where I am going too much, once again I am really sorry" she continued to proceed down the hallway and Spike was baffled. He had just apologized and she had basically brushed him off as nothing.

‘Well you have never really spoken to the girl what do you expect' the little voice in his head said.

With that he continued on to class. When he finally got moving to class he realized Buffy had dropped a sheet of paper he picked it up and read it and decided it was the most beautiful thing anyone had ever written and that he would find her and give it to her this afternoon after school.

Math’s was really boring for Buffy; she sat and tuned out the teacher talk about algebra and day dreamed about the poem she had found in the library. Except she checked her pockets and it wasn't in there, she must have dropped it somewhere.

'Damn it' she thought.

At 3 o’clock the bell rang again and she was on her way home. Thinking about going home she started to get tense, it was strained and argumentative. Her adoptive parents Joyce and Hank were always avoiding her lately. Yes they were going to get hurt when she was made to leave but didn't they realize they were still her mum and dad to her and alienating her now was slowly destroying her.

Spike was on his way home as well when he spotted her.
"Hey Buffy wait up!" he yelled

She stopped and turned to see who was calling her name and was shocked to see who it was.

"What's the matter Spike?" she asked coolly

"You dropped this in the hall when you ran into me" he pulled the piece of paper from his pocket

"So you decided to return it?"

"Yes is that so hard to believe" he was getting cross now.

"Well let’s see in the 2 years you have known me you have barely said more than three words to me so don't mind me if I am slightly confused with the change of heart" she said firmly

"Sorry love, just trying to mend some broken bridges before high school ends!" 'God she has some spirit in her' he thought to himself

"Ok thanks Spike but I need to be getting home. See you around!" she dazzled him with a smile and he felt his heart swell with the knowledge that he wanted her to smile more often.

Once again the guilt rushed him when he realized that his friends and he had been the ones to make her high school life miserable. Something that he planned to change.