Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own BTVS.
Chapter Nine

Buffy couldn’t believe that it had been six years since she and Spike had gotten married. It was a good marriage even if they did fight a lot. Tommy was a great kid and he was a little Spike in miniature. She never would have believed it would be possible to combine a life as a Slayer and as a mother and wife. She would never stop being a Slayer; it was something that was an inherent part of her. At the same time, she had a reason to make sure no vampire or demon got their “one good day”. Her family had to come first and having Spike for a husband meant that he understood her drive for a kill and her way of life in a way another person would not have. He occasionally came out with her on patrol when he got antsy and she was less worried about him these days, knowing he wouldn’t enter into a fight he couldn’t win. They were on their way to a dinner with Dawn, Xander, Willow and Dowling. They had a tradition of meeting up with them at least once a month and exchanging news. They were having dinner tonight in a fancy, little Chinese. It was shortly after six when they pulled up outside the restaurant.

“Tommy will be as happy as Larry,” Spike said, getting out of the car.

“No doubt,” Buffy said. “Audrey will have him spoiled rotten.”

Audrey was their elderly next door neighbour and she was always glad to babysit.

“Maybe we should have asked her to keep him for the night?” Spike raised a brow.

Buffy laughed. “Maybe.”

She shivered as he unabashedly ran his eyes up and down her body. Her black dress was tight and clung to her in all the right places.

“Enjoy it while you can, Spike. I’m not going to get away with wearing clothes like this much longer.”

He ran his tongue across his teeth. “I don’t care much for the clothes, love. That’s your gig. I only care about what’s underneath ‘em . I love you any shape and size. You should know that. ‘Sides, you know how sexy I find it when you’re carrying around my little one in there.”

She blushed under his blazing stare. “Stop,” she said, with a giggle. “Let’s get inside before I decide I want you to jump you right now.”

“Would that be such a bad thing?”

His husky whisper made her knees feel weak.

“Yes,” she said, reluctantly pushing him away.

Spike pouted. “Don’t you fancy me anymore?”

Buffy pointed at her belly. “Yes. Case and point.”

He smiled. “You’ll have to show me later and help me heal my bruised ego.”

She rolled her eyes. “Come on Randy, let’s go and tell our friends our good news. You can crow about how much of a stud you are.”

They were waiting to spill the news to their friends that they were having another baby. The first few weeks passed without a hitch and they planned on making the announcement at dinner.

The others were inside when they arrived. Buffy didn’t miss the calculating look that passed between her sister and Willow during their entrance.

“Hi guys,” Buffy said, taking her seat at the table.

Willow smiled knowingly. “Have you got some news for us?”

“Why would you say that?”

“Ah, come on Buffy.” Willow laughed. “You guys have been wandering around in a daze these last few weeks.”

“Like horny teenagers,” added Xander. “It’s disgusting.”

Dawn started to giggle and Buffy felt her face going red. Even Spike was blushing.

*********************





Buffy had been lucky last time and she worked off her baby weight pretty quickly. She hoped it would be as easy this time. She knew her age might be an issue considering she was just after turning thirty six. Spike had cut down on his job since his trip to Los Angeles with Angel and for that Buffy was grateful. She knew she could need him when she got further into her pregnancy especially with a toddler already running around. Tommy was three now and it would be good for him to have a little brother or sister. Tommy adored his father and they spent a lot of time kicking a football around the garden often wrecking her flowers in the process. Spike told her she was turning into an old nag so often that Tommy had picked up on the word and Spike was banned from using it in his presence as a result. Spike was also banned from using bad language, which was a bit of a trial for him but amused her no end. He was resorting to creative means to make his customary insults.

******************





Several months later, Buffy was more exhausted than she had been in her first pregnancy with having a small child like Tommy to take care of as well. She shuddered to think what it would have been like had she gotten pregnant sooner. One evening Buffy felt particularly drained and felt asleep on the sofa. There was a loud bang from the kitchen and she jumped to her feet. Tommy was wearing a guilty expression and the cookie jar was broken on the floor in front of him.

“Sorry,” he said.

She gave him her most foreboding expression. “Tommy, you know you’re not meant to go climbing into the cupboards.”

“You were asleep and I wanted a cookie,” he explained.

“You should have woken me.” She sighed. “Can you get me the dust pan and brush?”

“Ok,” he said.

A moment later he returned with the dustpan and brush and handed them to her. She brushed all the fragments up and popped them into the trash can.

“Are you tired, Mommy?” he asked, when she yawned.

“Yeah, baby,” she replied.

She had another two months left to her due date and she was exhausted. She waddled back into the living room and plonked down on the sofa.

Tommy sat down beside her and laid his head on her lap. “When my little brother or sister comes, will I still be your baby?”

“Of course, you will,” she reassured him.

****************





When Buffy went into labour for the second time, she was terrified. She was over a month early and had not been expecting the familiar pains for a long time yet. Spike had rushed her to the hospital in a panic. The doctor came and checked her over. He had a sombre expression on his face when he finished his exam.

“Your baby appears to be in distress,” the doctor explained. “We want to operate on you now as we fear a natural birth may endanger both your lives.”

Buffy nodded giving her consent. Spike was squeezing her hand. He was so pale; he looked like he was a vampire again. Buffy felt like crying. What if it was too early? What had she done wrong that she and her baby were sick?

Spike was perceptive as ever and read her mind. “It’s not your fault. These things happen all the time. If the little bit is any bit as strong as mum then there’s nothing to worry about.”

Buffy appreciated he was trying to reassure her, but she could see he was as terrified as she was.

“Will you ring Dawn and tell her what’s happened?” she asked.

“Of course,” he replied. “Anything else you want?”

“No,” she whispered. “Just hurry back.”

Several hours later, Emily Joyce Pratt was born and thankfully both mother and daughter were healthy.

To be continued..


Chapter End Notes:
Thank you all for reading and letting me know your thoughts.