Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't own anything you recognize.

Thanks to Ginar369 for the beta.
Chapter Ten

It had been a long time coming, but finally Spike and Buffy could bring Emily home from the hospital. She was still small but healthy and resilient. Spike had taken Tommy to see her and Buffy in the maternity ward but these visits had been short. Tommy was very excited about bringing his little sister home. Buffy had him help prepare the nursery in the months leading up to the birth.

Tommy woke up Spike at six in the morning. “Is it time to bring Mommy and Emily home, yet?”

“No,” Spike mumbled sleepily. “Go back to bed like a good boy and let your old man get some more kip. It’s too early yet.”

“Can I get into bed with you?” Tommy asked his blue eyes hopeful.

Anything for a quiet life. Spike nodded and the little boy jumped into the bed and huddled up next to him. However, that was the end of any sleep, as Tommy tossed and turned constantly meaning Spike couldn’t get back to sleep. He sighed, sat up in bed, and Tommy jumped onto his back. They went down to the kitchen and Spike popped the kettle on for a cup of tea and started to make some porridge. He was after becoming very domestic. He often found himself wondering at the changes in himself in the last couple of years. The old Spike wouldn’t recognise himself.

Tommy was sitting at the table, when Spike placed the bowl of porridge in front of him.

“Daddy?” he asked.

“Yeah?”

“What if I’m not a good big brother?”

Spike smiled. “You’ll be fine. Let me tell you a secret. Before you were born I was very scared.”

“But why?” Tommy’s eyes were wide.

“Just like you! I was worried I wasn’t going to be a good dad. Then you came along and somehow I knew what to do.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

Tommy started to smile and tucked happily into his breakfast. Spike popped some bread in the toaster and poured his tea. Spike checked his watch. They still had another hour to kill before they could head to the hospital. It was then he remembered he had to put together the cot. It was in the attic and in all the excitement of bringing his girls home it had slipped his mind.

“Bloody hell,” he groaned. “Another job to do after breakfast.”

*******************







“Will you help me put Emily’s bed together?” Spike asked Tommy once breakfast was over.

Tommy started to jump up and down n excitement. Spike went out of the kitchen and went up the stairs to get the cot. He brought it down into his and Buffy’s room.

Tommy frowned. “Why isn’t it going into Emily’s room?”

Spike could sense the jealously in his son’s voice. They had worried if Tommy would find it difficult to adapt to no longer being the baby of the family. He had been very positive about the idea since he was told he was going to have a little brother or sister, although only time would really tell. He decided to nip it in the bud.

“Emily is really little and for a little while she needs to sleep with her mum and dad.”

“Why can’t I stay with you?”

He ruffled Tommy’s hair. “You’re a big lad and all grown up.”

**************







Spike pulled into the parking lot full of good cheer. He and Tommy stopped at the hospital shop to pick up some flowers. He handed them to Tommy to carry, who was as proud as punch. Tommy’s curly hair and big blue eyes caused a lot of women to stop and talk with them.

“Daddy and I are going to bring Mummy and my new baby sister home today,” Tommy told them. The lad was clearly enjoying the attention. He didn’t just take after his father in the looks department. He was going to be a right little ladies’ man too. Spike reminded himself how things could have been so different given the close call they had. He hurried Tommy along, impatient to get to his girls. When they arrived in the maternity ward, a fully dressed Buffy was sitting on the bed. She had been waiting for them.

Tommy ran in ahead of Spike. “Mommy!”

Tommy proudly presented her with the flowers and jumped onto the bed, putting his arms around her neck.

“I missed you, Mommy,” he said.

“I missed you too. Were you good for your dad?”

“I’m always good,” Tommy boasted, causing Buffy to laugh.

Spike went over to the cot picking Emily up. She was so beautiful. How on earth had a creature so evil like he had been earned such a wonderful family? The answer was Buffy. She inspired him to be a man not a monster, and when had finally become a man, to think he had resented this gift for so long. This was unthinkable to him now knowing what he had. He wandered over to his son and wife, bending down to kiss Buffy on the cheek.

**************







When they arrived home, Buffy and Emily were greeted by a big “welcome home” banner along with a few close friends and family. Their visitors didn’t stay long. When Spike caught Buffy yawning, he suggested they call back another time. Besides, if he was honest, he wanted his family all to himself. He settled down on the couch with Buffy under one arm and Tommy under the other. Emily was sleeping away in her crib. It wasn’t long before Tommy dozed off as well and Spike carried him up to bed. When he was done he went downstairs and he snuggled up with Buffy on the couch.

“Mmm,” she said. “I’ve missed my Spike pillow.”

He kissed her shoulder blade. “Glad to be of service, love.”

She turned around to see him better. “I can’t do this again, you know. Two kids- now I’m done.”

He arched a brow. “Doesn’t mean we have to stop practicing?”

She laughed. “Oh god, no.”

He settled back against her and he wondered could life get any better than this.



To be continued...

End of part II.