Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Buffy or Spike or even Dowling.
Chapter Fourteen



Spike had felt like the world was slipping away, when he had arrived at the alleyway to find Buffy being attacked by his ex. That night he kept her close, as he remembered the terror at the scene. It was clear now that Dru was gunning for his wife. Although, he was relieved the children weren’t her targets, it didn’t stop him worrying about Buffy. She may be strong, but at the end of the day, she was human and breakable. Just like he was. It was unclear what the mad vampire’s plans were exactly, but there was one thing that was clear. This wasn’t over by a long shot, and nothing short of dusting Dru was going to end this. There had to be a way to get Drusilla out of the way. There must be something he could do. They were getting closer to tracking her lair down. There were a couple of sightings of a dark haired woman trying to lure children into alleyways and Spike and Dowling were going to follow up on some of the leads the following day. The children were visibly shaken by the events of the evening.

“Daddy, that lady said she knew you,” Emily told him.

Spike caught Buffy’s eye. “Yes. She used to be my girlfriend before I got together with your Mum.”

His daughter looked confused. “But she’s a bad lady. Why would she be your girlfriend?”

Spike felt his heart constrict. Oh the innocence of little ones. If only life was as black and white?

“C’mere,” he said. “Before I fell in love with your Mum, I was a bad man.”

“Spike!” Buffy looked reprovingly at him. “There’s no need to go into that.”

She turned to look at the little girl. “That was a long time ago. Your Dad’s a good man.”

She gave him a fleeting smile and threaded her fingers in his.

“Why is she here?” Tommy demanded.

“I don’t know, son,” Spike lied. He could hardly tell the boy she wanted his mother dead.

Tommy looked far from convinced. He was bright and astute for an eight year old.

“Time for bed,” Spike announced. It had been a long day and he and Buffy needed to have a long conversation without the little-uns prying.





After Spike had gotten the children to bed, he came down the stairs to see Buffy sprawled out on the sofa. He smiled at the sight of her.

“Glass of wine?” he suggested.

“Yes, please,” Buffy said.

He went into the kitchen and pulled out a bottle of Buffy’s favourite white wine. He grabbed two wine glasses. When he re-entered the living room, Buffy made room for him on the sofa. He poured them both a glass.

“How’s your ankle?” he asked.

“Sore,” she admitted. “Not as much as my pride though. I should have staked her.”

Spike knew how she felt. He had missed his clear shot too.

“What happened?”

Buffy took a deep breath and grasped Spike’s hand. She went through all the events and Spike’s mouth went into a thin line. He didn’t say a word all the way through the tale. He just nodded.

“We will get through this,” he said, trying to sound more convincing than he felt.

******************







The following morning, Spike left Buffy sleeping peacefully in their bed, while he got out of bed and got the kids up for school. Neither of the two little ones seemed to be in the humour for school. He peeked into their rooms and called them. He went and made himself a cup of coffee to wake himself up. When there was no sign of the children getting up after a couple of minutes, he headed back up the stairs. He tried to keep the noise to a minimum, hoping to let Buffy get the kip she so badly needed. He opened Tommy’s door and walked over to the bed. He pulled the blanket from his sleeping son.

“Oi, you little sod,” he said. “Up you get!”

Tommy grunted but he sat up in the bed. Spike tousled his hair. “Good lad.”

He left his son get ready and went to make sure his little princess was up. The girl was sitting on her bed and rubbing her eyes.

“Daddy, do I have to go to school today?” she asked.

“Yes, you do.”

“The bad lady might come,” she said in a plaintive tone.

Spike felt his heart clench at the fear in her voice. “She’s a vampire, pet. That means she can’t come out during the day, so you are safe.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really. Would I lie to you?” he asked.

She put her hands on her hips. “Yes, you would. Remember when you told me that Uncle Harris was a clown.”

Spike chucked at the memory of the girl asking Harris if she could see his big red nose. “You know that was joke. I wouldn’t lie about something serious like this.”

He kissed her forehead and she threw her arms around his middle.





After Spike had dropped the children to school, he headed to work. He checked his phone for Connor’s number.

“Hey Spike,” Connor answered.

“Hi, kid. Is Gramps back from his vacation yet?” Spike asked.

“He’s due back tomorrow, actually.”

“We’re in a bit of a bind here and we could do with his help,” Spike began. “Would you tell to call me when he gets a chance?”

“Sure, of course. Buffy called the other day and she sounded upset.”

“Yeah, Drusilla’s in town and has taken it on herself to torment us. She’s after Buffy. We could do with an extra pair of hands.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll let him know,” Connor reassured him.

“Thanks,” Spike said, before hanging up.

Spike would be willing to do anything to end this, to bow down low to his worst enemy if it meant his family was safe. He was no longer in the position of being able to protect this family himself, but he was damned if he wasn’t going to make sure they were safe. He turned on the ignition and vowed to call Buffy later to tell her Angel was due back shortly. When he arrived at his office, there were several bulky files awaiting his perusal. He gave them a quick look through but none of them were about Drusilla. There was a sharp knock on the office door.

“Come in,” he called.

Dowling walked in. “How are you holding up?”

Spike shrugged. “As well as could be expected, when some nut job is trying to off your wife and terrorizing your kids.”

“Sorry – stupid question.” Dowling looked at his feet. “Are you still adamant about coming along to question those possible witnesses?”

Spike nodded. Bloody right he was.

Dowling was still looking sheepish.

“You know you should be letting somebody else investigate this?” he suggested.

Spike’s jaw clenched and his nostrils flared. He knew Bob meant well but he had to do this.

“It’s my job to question the witnesses if we’re to keep this all above board,” the detective continued.

“You’re afraid I’m going to lose my rag, aren’t you?” Spike asked.

Dowling nodded his head. “Sorry Spike, but you’re not a professional. You’re a demon hunter, former vampire, well versed to coercing information from suspects. This is different.”

Spike was breathing heavily, trying to calm his annoyance. “I need to do this, Bob. I have to do something and if ask people questions is the only thing I can do. Then I’m going to bloody well do it.”

Dowling put a hand on his arm. “It’s okay. I get it.”

He hadn’t felt as helpless, since he was first chipped by the Initiative. Once he managed to escape the mad scientists and drugged up soldier boys, he realised he couldn’t feed. He was in the position of being unable to hunt the vampires and protect his family. That duty lay with Buffy. He didn’t resent her in her the slightest for it, however, when she was the target that changed things. She couldn’t do everything on her own. Hopefully, Angel would get here soon.

***************







Several hours later, Spike swung by Dawn and Harris’ and picked up Tommy and Emily. The kids were chatting happily in the back of the car. They had spent the afternoon being spoilt rotten and they were telling their father all about their day. Buffy was supposed to be resting up her ankle. She may have Slayer healing abilities, but she still needed time to recover. That was why the kids hadn’t come straight home after school. Spike pulled the car into the drive of their home.

“Dad, the door’s wide open,” Tommy called out startling him.

Spike felt a shiver of dread run up his spine. Buffy would never leave the door like that. Spike had a leaden feeling in his stomach. He tried to keep his face neutral not wanting to panic the kids. He jumped out of the car and locked the car doors.

“Stay there and don’t move or let anybody in,” he ordered.

He walked inside the house as quietly as possible. He scanned the living room and saw Buffy’s keys and handbag on the ground. His heart thrummed loudly in his ears and he frantically checked the kitchen. Spike’s heart was beating wildly in his chest as he desperately searched for his wife.

“Buffy!” There was no reply and he went room by room. The kitchen was empty. He ran up the stairs. He checked their bedroom first, followed by Emily’s and then Tommy’s. The guest room was checked last and also there was no Buffy. Oh God. Oh God. If Buffy was harmed in any way there was going to be hell to pay. Remembering his children he ran outside and let them out of the car. He looked around, watching for anything suspicious or anyone.

“What’s wrong?” Tommy asked in a small voice.

Spike didn’t know what to say so he ignored the question and said, “Just get inside and don’t touch anything.”

Emily’s hazel eyes looked fearful. “I’m scared, Daddy.”

“Don’t be, poppet,” he reassured her, as he ushered them inside. “Now go into the kitchen and sit down at the table. I’ll be in shortly.”

Emily went into the kitchen immediately, but Tommy held back.

“I was talking to you too,” Spike reminded him.

“Dad, what’s going on?”

Spike couldn’t voice his fears aloud. That would make it more real somehow.

“Just look after your sister,” he said instead.

He pointed at the kitchen door. Tommy sighed but did as he was bid.

Spike took out his cell phone and dialled Buffy’s number. His fear increased when he heard the tell-tale ringing coming from her hand bag. His blood froze and he dialled Willow’s number.

Willow picked up the phone quickly. “Hi, Spike.”

“Hi Willow, have you seen or heard from Buffy all day today?” he asked.

“No. Why?”

“She’s not home and left her handbag and her purse. That’s not like her. I think Dru’s gotten to her.”

“Maybe there’s a logical explanation?” she suggested, sounding more hopeful than convinced.

Spike gritted his teeth. “I have to ring Dawn. Bye.”

Before he could do that he was interrupted by a little voice, “Daddy, is it true? Did the crazy lady take Mommy?”

Emily. He turned around and two kids were standing in the door way, looking terrified out of their wits. He cursed himself for being careless.

He walked over to the trembling boy and girl. “We don’t know anything for sure.”

Emily burst into tears and Spike picked her up. He motioned to Tommy, who was biting his lip trying hard not to cry. He put a free arm around his son and held them close.

“It looks bad, but there’s no need to panic. I need to call your Auntie Dawn.”

Spike pulled out his cell and rang the number. Dawn picked up her phone promptly. “Miss me already, Spike?”

Spike cut to the chase, “Dawn, when I came back home Buffy wasn’t here and the door was left wide open and her purse was on the floor.”

He heard a sharp intake of breath on the other end. “Maybe there was a slaying emergency?”

“It looks like there was some sort of struggle.” Spike could barely get out the words.

There was silence on the line for a moment.

“I’ll be right over,” Dawn said finally.

***************







When Dawn arrived, Spike had searched the house from top to bottom looking for clues. Nothing was missing, so a robbery could be ruled out straight away. He found a package addressed to Buffy strewn on the pavement outside. He had missed it earlier. The package was unopened but when he opened it there was nothing inside. If he had to hazard a guess, then his money would be on someone or something dressed as a delivery or postman fooling Buffy into opening the door and attacking her. When Spike found them he was going to tear them limb from limb. He knew Buffy was injured, but she was still the Slayer. She must have been outnumbered or incapacitated in some way. This had to be down to Dru and for the umpteenth time since she had showed her face, he wished they had taken their chances at dusting her.

Spike popped on his duster. “Could you look after the kids while I go and see if I can find her?”

“Sure,” she agreed. “But be careful.”

He felt a little tug on his arm and he looked down at the plaintive expression of his youngest.

“Daddy, don’t go,” Emily pleaded.

His heart ached. “I have to go out for a while. Your Auntie Dawn will mind you and put you to bed.”

Emily hugged him around the middle. “Make sure you come back.”

His eyes filled up with tears, although he knew he couldn’t afford to give into his emotion with Buffy still missing. With effort he broke away from the embrace and headed out the door determined to find out where his wife had disappeared to. Maybe he was just over reacting and she had gone out on patrol as she did sometimes when she was restless. He tore out the door, slamming it shut as he left. He made his way to the local cemetery calling her name. He knew he was drawing attention to himself but he didn’t care.

“Buffy, where the fuck are you?” he called out.

He heard his phone ring and answered it immediately hoping it was Buffy.

It was Dawn, however. “Did you find her?”

“No. I’m worried Nibblet.”

“Just come back. The kids are in a right state without you and Willow promised she is going to get together the ingredients for a locater spell.”

He knew there was little he could accomplish with nothing to go on and with a locater spell then they would have a better chance.

“I’ll be back shortly,” he replied and headed for his car.

**********************







Meanwhile, Buffy tried to scream, but the scarf tied over her mouth muffled the noise. She tried to move ineffectually, she was binded tightly. Her head was throbbing painfully and the iron chains were cutting her wrists and her ankles. Drusilla- the bitch- was nowhere to be found. What was the insano vamp planning? Spike must be frantic with worry, when he arrived home with the kids in tow and no sign of her. Buffy had been ambushed by a gang of demons. Hearing the doorbell, she had gone to the door and seen a courier. He had given her a clipboard to sign for a package before she had spotted the demon hiding in the bushes. She had felt a sudden prick in her arm.

“What did you do to me?” she had managed, before collapsing to the ground. She caught a glimpse of three rather large, looking Fyarl demons before her world went back. When she came to, she found herself in this cellar, all chained up. She had examined her surroundings carefully, looking for anything that could aid her in escape. She was in a dank cellar, the only light being a flickering light bulb. There seemed to be only one way out and it was the way she came in. Buffy could hazard a guess at who or what wanted held her captive here and she was fairly sure it was Drusilla given that a doll bearing a similar appearance to Miss Edith had pride of place on the table beside her. Her glass eyes seemed to follow her every move. She knew it was crazy but with creepy dolls, you never could be sure. As if summoned by the power of thought, Drusilla walked into the stairs, a chilling grin on her face. “Miss. Mary tells me you’ve been trying to escape you naughty girl. Tsk tsk.”

“Let me go you bitch.”

“No. Slayers are for eating. My Spike taught me that.” Drusilla paused, a thoughtful expression on her face. “Of course, he’s not my Spike anymore.”

“No, he’s mine!”

Drusilla clucked her tongue. “There, there, he’ll soon be ours.”

“What do you mean?” Buffy strained at the chains. The vampire reached over and pulled a clump of hair from her head. She grabbed Buffy’s hand and sliced her wrist open with a fang holding out a bowl to collect the blood.

“I need you alive for this and then Buffy Summers you’ll be born again.”

“No,” Buffy protested, but she was feeling dizzy from the blood loss. Dru took the scarf and wrapped it around the wound to staunch the flow. Buffy fainted and when she awoke she could hear the vampire singing. Her vision was a little blurry and she didn’t have enough strength to move let alone pull down the chains. Drusilla dipped her hand in the bowl and smeared some blood on her forehead and then on Buffy’s. The vampire started to speak what sounded like a spell. Buffy watched in horror as Drusilla transformed into a carbon copy of herself and she realised exactly what Drusilla was planning.

“No,” Buffy yelled.

“I think us three could be a family. We could cut a swathe through the world again.”

Drusilla went into game face and bit her in the neck. She slit her wrist and put it to Buffy’s mouth. Buffy tried to spit out the blood but she couldn’t prevent a trickle going down her throat, before darkness enveloped her once more.

******************







When Spike arrived back at his home, Dowling and Willow were there. He had done a search of her usual slaying grounds but came back with nothing to report. He was going to try to track the leads they had picked up that day from the interviews, but if Willow could pinpoint her location, then there was no need to amble aimlessly. Somehow, Dawn had managed to talk the kids into going to bed and Spike was thankful he could fully concentrate on this. The witch picked up the ingredients for a locater spell and set out the ingredients on the floor. The other three stood nervously waiting for the spell to begin. Spike chewed his lip and listened as Willow spoke the Latin incantation. Spike frowned; the spell didn’t seem to be working.

“Show me where Buffy is?” Willow demanded.

The little light didn’t move.

“You must have done it wrong,” Dawn accused her.

“No, I did it right,” Willow said frowning.

“Try it again,” Spike demanded.

Willow started to say the incantation once more, but the light spluttered out again.

Spike had it with the whole thing. He shook his head. “I don’t care that we have nothing to work on. This is Dru’s doing. I know it. I can’t just sit here, waiting and doing nothin’.”

“I’m coming with you,” Dawn declared. She held her head high as if to dare any of them to say otherwise.

Spike wasn’t going to argue. Dawn had as much right as he did.

“Maybe you guys should let the slayers take care of this?” Willow suggested.

“I’m not sitting here when Buffy needs our help,” Spike snarled.

Willow backed down reluctantly. “I’ll stay here and see if there is any other spell I can find.”

“I have to call this in,” Dowling said. “I’ll get my guys on it and you’ll be the first to know if we hear anything. We’ll put up some posters to see if it jogs anyone’s memory.”

“Thanks, Bob,” Spike said. “We’re going to take the west side of the city. That seems to be where all of the witnesses spotted Dru. We might be able to get some information on where she is at least.”

**************







A despondent Spike and Dawn drove back to his house after four fruitless hours of searching. There was no joy in the search; they checked the graveyards, the demon bars or if they did they weren’t telling.

He got out of the car and his heart soared when he saw a glimpse of blonde hair. “Buffy!”

Buffy was sitting on the porch swing. Spike heard the passenger door of the car swing open.

“Buffy,” Dawn squeaked.

“Oh thank god. Where have you been? I’ve been out of my mind.”

She didn’t answer but got up immediately and wandered towards him wearing an unfamiliar smile. Her gait, her movements, her smile didn’t seem right. He could tell there was something terribly wrong and he quickly shoved Dawn behind him. Buffy reached out and touched his face. He felt the unnatural coldness.

“What’s wrong, Spike?” Dawn asked.

“She’s a vampire,” he whispered. “But it’s not Buffy.”

He turned to the incarnation of his wife. “You’re not Buffy. Who are you?”

She laughed. “Never could fool you, could I? My Spike always knew me too well.”

“Dru,” he spat. He reached for the stake he had concealed in his coat pocket. “What have you done with Buffy, you crazy bitch?”

“You’ll never find your sunshine. It’s been obliterated by the dark. Now, you can be with your princess again.”

Spike’s heart was in his throat. “Never. Not even if you were the last person on this earth.”

Dawn stepped out from behind him before he noticed, and went for Dru her own stake to hand. “You’re going to tell us where Buffy is and then I’m going to stake your skanky ass.”

The vampire was too quick for the young woman and put her in a headlock. Dru bared her fangs to Dawn’s throat.

“Would you still say never?” she said to Spike.


Spike dropped his stake to the ground. “It’s me you want, Dru. Let the Bit go.”

“Don’t do something stupid, Spike..” Dawn stomped on Dru’s foot, causing her grip to slacken and then head butted her. She was able to get free, giving Spike a chance to pick up his stake and put it through Dru’s heart. He knew he had to dust her, even if she was the only chance they had at finding Buffy. He dropped to his knees as the dust blew into his face. What were they going to do now? He felt Dawn’s hand on his shoulder. He slammed his fist down on the timber floor of the porch. Dawn gently pulled him to his feet. She was crying silently and he used his fingers to wipe the tears away. Tears were pricking at the backs of his eyes. He didn’t have the time; he had to find Buffy.

Dawn looked at him, her watery eyes round. “What do we do now? What if Buffy’s dead?”

“No,” Spike insisted. “I would know.”

“How would you know, Spike.”

“I just would,” he insisted.


To be continued....


Chapter End Notes:
I hope you don't all hate after this one.