Author's Chapter Notes:
Beta by the wonderful Ginar369.

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognise. Only the plot is mine.
Chapter Five

Buffy was finding it very difficult to cope with all the changes that the human transformation had wrought in Spike. Her boyfriend had always been complicated, prickly and over-sensitive. Nevertheless, she usually could get around him one way or another. The first time she met him and for a long time after, she thought he was the cockiest and most arrogant person she had ever met. When she got to know him, she realised his Big Bad persona was just that. Underneath all his brashness and swagger he was very insecure. Since they had ironed out their differences following the terrible fight they had, things were a lot better. For one Spike was now happily working for the San Francisco Police Department and she could tell he had taken to his role of instructor rather well. Buffy was proud of his achievements, even if it did mean she saw less of him than she liked. They were good, which was the most important thing. They had decided to try something new called talking when they had a problem instead of letting the resentments fester. It was a good plan in theory but neither she nor Spike was very good at the talking part of a relationship and sometimes in their eagerness to get something off their chest they managed to insult one another. That meant a lot of fights of course but also a lot of making up sex. Their sex life was back on track at last. While it was different to what it used to be, it was still quite kinky. This was why Buffy was currently dressed in a brand new negligee. That morning she and Spike had another one of their rows. She couldn’t remember what it was about now, but she wanted to make it up to him. She still wasn’t very good at saying sorry. She heard the front door open and she left out a giggle. She could hear his voice call her name and she got into position. He was going to love the red negligee. She popped on the handcuffs and tied a scarf around her eyes. She heard the sound of the door opening and she put on her best seductive voice, “I’ve been waiting all day for you, Big Bad!”

There was a very feminine yelp of surprise and Buffy peeked from under the scarf only to see a mortified Dawn and a drooling Spike. Buffy’s hand flew to her mouth and she felt the blood rush to her face. She grabbed the dressing gown she had dumped on the floor to preserve some sort of dignity. Dawn’s initial embarrassment had turned into giggles and the glazed over expression on Spike’s face was all Buffy needed to know that her man was still very into her.

“Get out, Bit,” Spike ordered.

“Well thanks very much,” Dawn said. “I’m really glad I didn’t bring Xander along to the Buffy exhibition.”

Spike scowled at the thought and practically pushed Dawn out to the door.

He turned to Buffy with a lustful gleam in his eye. “I mean to ravish you, Ms Summers. Now pop the scarf back on, love. Spike’s gonna make you scream.”

Buffy giggled, as he landed on the bed beside her, and did what she was told.

********************





Later that evening there was a surprise visitor: Robert Dowling. Buffy and Spike were about to order in and invited Dowling to stay for dinner. He agreed but confessed it wasn’t a social call and he needed some help with a case.

Buffy took the file from the detective, but quickly scrunched her nose. “What language is this?”

“We figured it was some demon language,” Dowling said. “We had our own lingual experts look into it and none of them could recognise it.”

Buffy handed Spike the file. “Spike’s the demon language expert not me.”

“Really?” asked Dowling with interest. “I wouldn’t have put you down as a scholar.”

“Not a scholar,” Spike replied. “Just been around a long time.”

Buffy laughed. “Spike just likes pretend there’s nothing up there, but as a human he was in university and everything.”

Spike glared at her before turned back to the file. He was straining his eyes to look at it. He needed glasses, yet he refused to admit it. She was going to convince him soon, before he damaged them beyond repair squinting. Perhaps she could bribe him with sexual favours?

“That’s Fyarl,” Spike said at last. “Most of it is completely useless to you. It reads like a shopping list.”

Dowling sighed. “Please tell me you’re kidding me.”

“What’s this case about anyway?” Buffy asked. “Fyarl demons usually don’t get involved in anything unless they are being paid by another demon.”

Spike nodded. “They serve as minions to more powerful demons normally. Not much for plans are the Fyarl. I can read through this more, but I need to know more about the case so I know what I am looking for.”

“Come by tomorrow after your training session and I’ll fill you in,” Dowling said.

Buffy didn’t miss the wistful smile on Spike’s face at the thought of getting involved in some case. She knew he missed being part of the whole Slayer deal. He was still involved to a degree and helped out from time to time. Still, it wasn’t the same.

****************************





The following day, Buffy went to work early. There was a lot more paper work involved these days in being a Slayer. She missed the old days when she could just pummel a Big Bad and leave all the grown up stuff to Giles. Being Slayer Numero Uno meant that she had responsibilities and many of the younger Slayers looked up to her. She was required to take part in negotiations and Council Meetings. The good thing about it was that she could wear heels from time to time and fashionable, uncomfortable clothing. She was feeling a little off this morning and had an egg taste in her mouth. Her stomach roiled a little and she wondered if the curry she ate last night didn’t agree with her. She was only a little nauseous, so she figured she would ok for this meeting anyway. It was important after all. She had a quick stop in the rest room to fix her make up. She hoped it would hide her unnatural pallor. She took a deep breath and left the rest room for Willow’s office.

“Morning, Buffy,” Willow said when she walked into her office.

“Hi, Will. Ready for the meeting?”

Willow was the reason why the Slayer Council functioned. Buffy was the head, but she left the day to day running to her friend, knowing that she could manage all aspects of it much better than she.

“Yep – the computer’s all set up. I checked in with Andrew in Rome and Vi in Edinburgh and Kennedy in Capetown. We should be good to go in ten minutes.”

“What would I do without you?” Buffy asked, and Willow blushed under her praise.

“Well you know me. I’m still a computer geek at heart.”

“Well, you’re my computer geek,” Buffy said.

Willow grinned. “So we just about have enough time for a quick gossip. Tell me? How are things with Mr. Peroxide these days?”

It was Buffy’s turn to smile “Great. Things are good. I still can’t believe he got talked into helping out the cops.”

Willow shook her head. “Me either, but it makes a kind of sense.”

“How’s you love life, Will?” Buffy asked.

“Nothing doing,” Willow replied. “I’m a single gal, enjoying the company of beautiful women.”

“It must be hard knowing Kennedy’s getting married,” Buffy said.

Willow shrugged. “Kennedy and I were never meant to last. I came to terms with that years ago.”

“If you need to talk, let me know.”

Willow smiled at her. “Thanks, Buffy. I’m alright though. Now, we had better get ready for the meeting.”

The witch offered Buffy a plate of donuts. “Sugary goodness?” she asked.

Buffy felt her stomach protest. “No thanks.”

“Your loss,” Willow replied and took a jelly donut.

Buffy turned away and hoped she would last the meeting without puking her guts up.

*****************





Somehow, Buffy got through the meeting without succumbing to getting sick. She wasn’t getting any better, so she made her excuses knowing she couldn’t hold off the urge much longer. She ran to the bathroom and spent a couple of minutes with her head over the toilet bowl. As Buffy rested his head against the porcelain of the toilet, there was a knock on the cubicle door.

“Are you okay?” a concerned voice asked.

“Yeah,” Buffy said.

“Would you like some water?” the voice asked.

“Please,” Buffy replied. She stood on shaky legs and opened the cubicle door.

It was one of the cleaning ladies, who recognised her immediately. “Ms Summers?”

“Just call me Buffy,” she insisted. “Don’t tell anyone about this, please.”

“Of course not.”

Buffy took the proffered bottle of water and gulped it down. “Thanks..”

“Maud,” the woman said. “My name’s Maud.”

Buffy looked at herself in the mirror and she looked sickly pale.

“I must just have a stomach bug,” Buffy said.

“Either that or you’re pregnant,” joked Maud.

The realisation hit Buffy like a speeding train. She tried to remember when she had her last period. It had been nearly six weeks. Her mouth dropped open. But she and Spike were always careful since he had come back human. Although, there was that one time. Oh God!

Maud patted her arm. “You poor dear. Just buy a test in a pharmacy and then you’ll know.”

“Thanks,” Buffy muttered, before tearing out of the rest room. Her journey home was a blur, but somehow she managed to pick up a pregnancy test and made it home safely. She sat in the driver’s seat staring at the test for five minutes before she got up and went in. She hoped Spike was in, because she really didn’t want to do this test alone and if she had to wait for him to come home it would be torture. Spike was sitting on the couch when she walked in. He had a whole load of papers laid out on the coffee table before him. He was surprised to see her. His keen eyes picked up on her sickly appearance.

He got to feet and rushed over to her. “Buffy, love, are you all right?”

“I think I might be pregnant,” she confessed.

His eyes widened. “You’re up the duff?”

“I hope not. I have to do the test.”

She showed him the kit. He really wasn’t helping with the deer in headlights expression.

He composed himself quickly. “So you have to piss on the stick or something, yeah?”

She nodded. She could feel what little contents were left in her stomach threatening to come up again.

“I could be a dad?” he asked suddenly.

“I know scary, huh? I guess I better do this.”

She walked into the bathroom and peed on the stick. She never let him follow her into the bathroom. A girl’s gotta keep some mystery. She let him in once she righted herself and the two of them waited for the stick of destiny to tell them whether they were doomed or not. When Buffy saw the negative sign, she sighed in relief.

“Oh phew, we’re not pregnant,” she said gleefully.

She turned to look at Spike prepared to see the same relief mirrored in his expression and was surprised to see he looked disappointed.

Her mouth dropped open. “Oh my god, you’re disappointed. Are you insane?”

“Would it be such a bad thing?”

“We can’t even look after ourselves never mind a child. But yeah it’s no so terrible as long as it is long way into the future. Someday, I’d like to have kids with you.”

Spike’s smile was wide at her words.

Spike put his arm around her and she snuggled into his embrace. “Buffy, I know I’ve been a bit of a nightmare to live with these past few weeks,” he began. “My head’s not been screwed on right.”

She turned to look at him. “It’s okay. I understand that it’s hard to deal with. I mean if I lost my Slayer powers, I’m sure I would find it hard to adjust.”

“The thing is I don’t think I really understood what being human meant. There are things I never thought would be possible that are now.”

“Like having kids,” she guessed.

“Yeah,” he replied. “I must sound like a right ponce, but my mum always wanted to have a whole bunch of grandkids to dote on and to coddle. She never got to have them, because her son was a social pariah and no women were interested in him.”

Buffy’s heart ached for him. He didn’t like to talk too much about his human life and she knew he had a lot of unresolved issues.

She put his hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. “I’m sure she would be really proud of you now if she could see you. Besides, from what you told me, she really loved you.”

He looked at her through half lidded eyes. “I don’t deserve you.”

“Damn right and don’t you forget it.”

She kissed him lightly on the lips, but he deepened the kiss and he put his hands in her hair. She pulled him closer to her and moaned in pleasure. They pulled apart to breathe when the need became too much.

“The whole not having to breathe thing is something I do miss about being a vampire,” he confessed. “Although, the racing heart more than compensates for it.”

“What about the sweaty palms and the butterflies in your belly?”

“You always gave me butterflies, love. The sweaty palms are new or should I say old. ”

Buffy yawned and stretched.

“Knackered, love?” he asked.

“I’m exhausted. The last few weeks have been crazy.”

“Let’s head away this weekend,” he proposed. “We’ll do a road trip and do something disgustingly romantic like watch the sun set and have a candlelit dinner. I want to treat you proper.”

“And we could go for a moonlit stroll on the beach,” she added.

He raised a brow. “You in that tiny bikini.”

“I thought you’d prefer to go skinny dipping.”

“Oh god, yes,” he muttered.

She giggled at his hopeful expression. “I used to be a good girl once upon a time until you came along.”

“Then I ruined you for any other man,” he added.

“Lucky I love you so much, then,” she said.

Buffy smiled and curled up happily beside him. Things were looking up at after all
.

*******************

To be continued..

This is the end of part I.