Chapter Ten: Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown on a Bad Bet

Once we had calmed down, out came the pillows from the bedroom onto the living room floor, the ice cream and the stash of chocolate we had hidden away 'for emergencies'. We tossed a coin on which movie we watched, and Willow won with Cruel Intentions. Not that I minded, but the lead girl resembled me so closely it was scary. However, the film was only used as background anyway.

Willow gushed over Tara, and I couldn't help but giggle at the obvious attraction between the two of them. It was obvious they would end up as a couple, whether it happened sooner or later. So I did my best encouraging, without coming out and saying 'I think you're bi…or maybe a lesbian'. In response, I also gushed about Spike, and even though Willow had heard most of it all before, she still acted like she hung onto every word.

We each admonished the other, due to our pact of swearing off love…but just ended up in fits of laughter, which ended up turning into a fairly aggressive pillow fight. Eventually, it was time to sleep, Willow wanted to do some early morning shopping, and I wanted to do a full day of song writing.

It all went to plan, we both got up around seven o'clock the next morning. After breakfast, washing and dressing, I pulled out my battered notebook, and began brainstorming lyrics. I barely noticed when Willow left a couple of hours later. This new 'thing' with Spike had brought some of my old Angel issues to the forefront of my mind, and so getting them down on paper in the form of what was turning out to be another angry song about him, was very therapeutic.

I stopped when Willow returned at half twelve, and we enjoyed lunch in companionable silence. My thoughts drifted to Spike, what he was up to. It was more than likely he was at the shop, and I debated leaving the apartment to say hi. I ended up deciding against it, after all, it wasn't like we were dating, just 'friends with benefits'. Or, that's what I had to keep telling myself. I still had Angel issues to work through before I could jump into anything too serious, and it wouldn't be fair on either myself or Spike if I tried to.

I looked at the basic song structure I had been working on all morning, and decided to stick to my original plan and finish it off during the afternoon…it would keep my mind off Spike if nothing else. So, back into Angry-Buffy mode I went, finishing it before getting an early night.

SPOV

I usually enjoyed talking to my parents on Skype. Not today. Mum was being far too perceptive about my unusually good mood, and guessed that a girl was responsible for it. Unfortunately for me, she didn't let it drop, so I ended up telling my parents the whole Buffy story, and how we weren't calling ourselves a 'couple', just friends who kiss.

My dad, Rupert, made a face at that, being the tweedy Englishman he was these days. You would've never guessed just by looking that he was once a lead singer and guitarist of a rock band back in the 70's. That was before mum had met him.

Anyway, surprisingly, mum understood, and told me to wait it out. She explained Buffy was probably still adjusting from coming out of a controlling relationship, so things weren't likely to develop for a little while, but to hang in there for the meantime.

It seemed simple, but my mind had been all over the place when it came to Buffy. After a little more chat with my parents, we said goodbye and I was left to think in my apartment.

Eventually, thinking gave way to writing, as I dragged my mind away from Buffy and wrote a simple plot to a story idea that randomly popped into my head. Although I worked with books most days, and wrote poetry, it had been a while since I had attempted to write a novel. So the rest of my evening was spent poring over my screen, developing characters and dialogue based around the idea of one girl against evil. I debated calling my lead girl Buffy, but decided against it in case the real Buffy ever found out. Instead, she became Anna: The Vampire Slayer.