Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter four! The featured song is Kate Voegele – You Can't Break A Broken Heart.
Hope you like it! :)
Now, let's get back to Spike...
I stared at the woman on stage as she completed an upbeat song, trying to figure out what was different about her. I had noticed that her bloody wanker of a boyfriend wasn't anywhere to be seen, a novelty when it came to Buffy Summers. But then she began speaking, and it all became a bit clearer.

"Okay guys, I've got one more song to sing for you tonight. It's new, so I'd love your feedback. It's called 'You Can't Break A Broken Heart'." Buffy closed her eyes as the opening guitar chords echoed around the bar. Then she opened her eyes and started to sing.

Won't be so easy, this time to hurt me, you can try

And this time, oh baby, there are no tears left here to dry

If you think you can wound me like before, if you think you can do that anymore

Won't get to far, no, you can't break a broken heart

I was amazed. From the sound of it, the poof had left her. It would explain why he wasn't here tonight, not that I was complaining. I watched as she held on the microphone stand as the chorus kicked in.

So try your best now baby, try your best to break me,

You can't break a broken heart

No damage you can do now, I'm immune to you now

You can't break what broke apart

There's nothing you can do to me no more

You can't break a broken heart

Her passion escalated as she continued singing. I made the decision that tonight was the night I was finally going to speak to her. Her emotion reached fever pitch during the middle 8, and she looked like she was about to burst into tears.

So don't waste your time

Your time has come and gone

What are you here for?

You can't hurt me anymore

I resisted the urge to jump up on stage and comfort her. Her voice had been reduced to almost a whisper, but lost none of its intention as she repeated the chorus, until anger shined through and her voice became strong once again by the end, even though she looked emotionally exhausted.

Break a broken heart

Her voice echoed on the final line, as a raucous applause broke out through the Bronze. As she acknowledged the applause, her eyes scanned across the audience. I stepped out of my shadowed corner, trying to work out what she was looking for. Suddenly, I looked up to see those emerald orbs locked directly onto mine.

This was my chance, I hoped I didn't blow it. I navigated through the throngs of people, never losing eye contact, until I reached the stage steps. As I did, Buffy said a final thank you to the audience, then headed across the stage to the top of the stairs. I held out my hand to assist her down the short flight, before gently turning her towards me.

I opened my mouth to speak, but Buffy beat me to it. "Who are you?" she asked. I could have answered this two ways. I decided to go with the safest option.

"Name's Spike, luv," I responded, "I'm quite the fan of yours." She quirked her eyebrow.

"I know you're a fan, did you think you were being stealth by hiding in the shadows?" She smirked at me. "That hair of yours is so radioactive it could probably be seen from space!"

The chit had some fire, just like I knew she would. "Cheeky bint! Do you often go round insulting the hair of guys you've only just met?"

She flashed me another smile. "No, just ones with ridiculous names like 'Spike'!"

I decided to wind her up a bit more. "Whereas the name 'Buffy' is just classically elegant?" She tried to look shocked that I was teasing her, but just ended up laughing.

"Hey, what is it with people and making fun of my name!?"

I grinned. "Easy target, luv."

The laughter died out, and we stopped verbal sparring for a second, and just looked at one another. This time, I broke the silence. "Would you like to dance?" I inquired, offering a slightly shaking hand. She stared at me, as if she didn't quite understand what I was asking. I decided to break it down for her. "You, me, dance floor?" I gestured to the other couples already dancing.

When I still got no response, I admitted defeat. I shrugged, and mumbled "It was just an idea…I'll be going now." I turned and made to take a step towards the exit. A hand clasping my arm stopped me in my tracks. I spun back round to see Buffy with a huge grin on her face.

"Sorry about that, I kinda zoned out for a second. I'd love to dance," she babbled. I internally cheered, and led her through the crowds to an empty space on the dance floor.

After some initially awkward bopping, we soon found a rhythm, and soon it felt like I'd been dancing with Buffy for years. It was like she knew what I was going to do before I did it, even when I threw a few spins in. We danced to a couple of fast songs, and then came a slower number. I waited to take my cue from Buffy whether to leave the dance floor or not. When her arms linked around my neck, I relaxed, and just let myself bask in the music, and the beautiful girl swaying with me.

My arms linked around her waist, and I told myself that's where they were going to stay, I didn't want any shenanigans happening tonight. I then metaphorically slapped myself for thinking the word 'shenanigans' in relation to Buffy. All too soon, the song ended, and I was brought to my senses by Buffy taking my hand and dragging me over to a table.

We sat down, and Buffy began questioning me on my accent and reasons for moving to the US. I in turn questioned her about her home life and relationship with the poof. She told me she had left him because he had cheated on her. I felt angry for someone hurting her in that way, but couldn't help but be happy she was single.

Several hours passed, and soon the bar was closing for the night. My chivalrous side offered to walk her home, and to my delight she accepted. We spent the walk back to hers in the companionable conversation that had flowed between us all evening, talking about anything and everything. It wasn't until we reached her home that it became tense.

She looked up at me, gestured towards her door and said "Well, this is me." I nodded.

"I'll be going then. Night, luv." I turned to head home.

"Spike," she called. I looked back over my shoulder. She gave me a dazzling smile as she continued. "I had a really great time tonight".

I chuckled and smiled back. "So did I, pet. I'll see you around". Then, with the last bit of restraint I could muster, I walked away into the darkness, still not quite believing the whole night hadn't been a dream.