Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter 7, hope you enjoy! Chapter title=Fall Out Boy's Buffyverse=Joss's, featured song Lift Me Up by Kate Voegele
Life was good since I had left Angel, Willow and I were now firm friends, and I had convinced her to come to the Bronze and watch me perform the new stuff that she helped me write.

Then there was Spike. Ever since he collided into my life, I had turned into a giggling gibbering wreck. I thought it had been bad enough when he was just a fantasy, but the reality was so much better than I ever could have imagined.

I was fascinated by this paradox of a man, the sweet, suit wearing bookshop owner, who was also a sexy leather wearing badass. That day in his shop had been a real eye opener, and him rather kindly offering me a job, was just…

My train of thought was interrupted by my name being called as the next singer. I collected myself quickly and headed to the mic.

The intro began. Out of habit, I quickly surveyed the room, took a deep breath, and began to sing.

This road is anything but simple

Twisted like a riddle

I've seen high, and I've seen low

So loud, the voices of all my doubts

Telling me to give up

To pack up, and leave town

I looked over to where I knew Willow was in the crowd, a foot or so in front of Spike's old hiding spot. Willow gave me an encouraging smile and thumbs up, urging me to continue. Next to her was the one person I had just been thinking so much about. He gave me one of his patented sexy smirks, and his eyes twinkled. I felt myself go red, and almost missed my cue for the next line.

But even so I had to believe

Impossible means nothing to me

I avoided looking back towards Spike, I had a feeling it would be far too distracting. Instead I closed my eyes and let muscle memory take over as the chorus began.

So can you lift me up, and turn the ashes into flames

'Cause I have overcome, more than words will ever say

And I've been given hope, that there's a light on up the hall

And that a day will come when the fight is won

And I think that day had just begun

I opened my eyes, and moved towards the front of the stage. I sat on the edge as I sang the second verse to Willow. She knew that, as well as being about Spike, the song was a tribute to her, and how she had helped me. Without her, I would have still had nothing.

Oh lift me up, oh lift me up, oh lift me up

Lift me up, lift me up, oh lift me up

Willow was still standing there smiling. After a couple of moments she gave me a knowing look, which I easily interpreted as 'I know you're purposely avoiding looking at him again, but you're gonna do it eventually'. She was right, of course. As I re-entered the chorus, there was strong pull to look back at Spike, but I resisted. Finally, I reached the middle eight.

Down and out is overrated

And I need to be elevated

Looking up is not enough, no

I would rather rise above

There was a short instrumental, which I used to ready myself for the final chorus. After all the times Spike had come to hear me sing, now I knew him, it had really made me nervous.

So can you lift me up, and turn the ashes into flames

'Cause I have overcome, more than words will ever say

And I've been given hope, that there's a light on up the hall

And that a day will come when the fight is won

And I think that day had just begun

I finally allowed myself to look back at Spike while I did all of the riffing over the outro. He had his eyes closed and almost looked serene. I sung the final line straight to him.

Lift me up

The music faded. Spike opened his eyes as the applause broke out. After I acknowledged my audience with a bow, some smiles and a 'Thank you!' I practically skipped off the stage into the waiting arms of Willow, who congratulated and hugged me. That was when Spike decided to speak.

"Hey, if there's going to be girl on girl action, I want in!" We turned to look at him with the 'death glare'.

Willow counted softly "One…two….three!" Without breaking the hug completely, we simultaneously hit him round the back of the head, NCIS style.

There was a loud "Ow!", and Willow and I burst out laughing. Spike stood there, rubbing the back of his head, and pouted. "I was just about to congratulate you on a great performance, but I won't bother now." He sulked and turned away. I let go of Willow and wrapped my arms around him from behind.

"Spike, you do realise you brought that one on yourself?" I teased. He turned so he was facing me, still trying to seem upset. "Aww, come on you grumpy giraffe." I sang. His mouth twitched. I executed my fool proof technique, bit my lip and gave him my innocent wide eyed look. He couldn't hold it in any longer, and laughed.

Once he got his breath back, he pointed his finger at me, and said "Luv, if you're trying to convince me you're innocent, it's bloody well not working, 'cause you're about as subtle as a diplodocus about it!"

Willow scrunched her nose and looked confused "You guys are crazy, what's with the weird pet names?"

Spike and I looked at her and shrugged. Willow rolled her eyes. Suddenly, I realised I had some news. I bounced on my toes in excitement and turned back to Spike. "I suppose I should start being nice to you," I giggled. Spike looked at me suspiciously.

"Why's that then?" he queried.

I took his arms and started to swing them back and forth. "Cause you're going to be my boss, if the offer's still open!" I smiled hopefully.

He made a big show of thinking it over before grinning and asking when I wanted to start. We had just decided to leave all other details until the morning, and were headed for the dance floor when we realised Willow had gotten ready to go. "I'd like to stay a bit longer, but I need to go sleep, I've got an early morning tomorrow," she explained.

I hugged her goodbye, and told her to call me when she got in, so I knew she was okay. We said our goodbyes, and then Spike dragged me to dance. We danced for an hour or so, stopping only when Willow called and to get more drinks. All too soon, it was time for bed.

Spike, being a perfect gentleman, leant me his duster so I wasn't cold while he walked me home. We chatted happily about the night we had just spent, and of things to come, such as my new job. We reached my front door, and as I turned to give him his coat back, he pulled me into his arms. Expecting him to try and kiss my lips, I was surprised when instead he placed a small peck upon my cheek, then removed the coat from my arms.

"Goodnight kitten," he murmured. I pulled back, unlocked and opened the front door

. I twisted to face him, and quietly whispered "Goodnight Spike." After he nodded in acknowledgement, I entered and shut the door behind me.